Gaming PlayStation 5

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Controller looks absolutely shite, even in black. You’d think they’d be going for style as well as the better comfort. Look at that fecker next to the Xbox Elite.

It looks like a cheap plasticcy knockoff of what should be the real PS5 controller.

Stemmy

The Elite is like 160 quid.

They are not gonna make a controller as expensive unless at a later date and the idea is to keep the cost down.

Looks alright, not mad on the 2 tone colour scheme the mock up in all black looks better. I do like that its looks a little bulkier than the DS4 its a plus in my opinion.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The Elite is like 160 quid.

They are not gonna make a controller as expensive unless at a later date and the idea is to keep the cost down.

Looks alright, not mad on the 2 tone colour scheme the mock up in all black looks better. I do like that its looks a little bulkier than the DS4 its a plus in my opinion.
I’m talking aesthetics. It doesn’t need to be 160 quid to look smart, nor does the Elite actually cost anywhere near 160 quid to make anyway.

Of course it doesn’t matter if the console and games are great, but you’d think they’d want to create something that looks modern and high quality.

Stemmy

It looks fine for what will probably be a controller for £40-£50.

You literally compared it looks wise to a controller for £160 but not something like, you know, the actual Series X controller? (which is also plasticy)

I don't get your argument here. It looks like a more refined design wise to a DS4 and at roughly the same build quality (we only have like 2-3 images so far). Given that they are likely going in for the same price point I don't know what you were expecting?

Ainu

Insofar as it's possible to judge from images, it looks about the same build quality as a Dualshock 4 or Series X controller, not sure why you'd complain about that. I think I like it, it looks familiar and yet different enough. The only thing that slightly surprises me is the complete lack of LED at the back, meaning it's not compatible with PSVR. Since this thing has no back buttons and they recently released a back button attachment for the DS4, I'm wondering if it's compatible with this controller as well. Would be weird if it wasn't.

Leg-End

It looks pretty good, the real test is when you use it. It was time for a change on the controller front and this looks like a good change.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
My only criticism of the controller on first look is that the microphone on/off button requires your thumbs to stop controlling either the d-pad/L3 or the buttons. It would make more sense if they had a push to talk trigger on the back of the handles for use by your baby/ring fingers so you can seamlessly talk on demand without leaving you mic on.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Not sure what to think of it really. I liked the iconic, colour coded face buttons which are obviously missing from this. As for the two-tone colour...it's fine, I guess. I like that the PS logo has replaced the round home button from the PS4 controller. Nice little touch. Probably going to be an expensive controller though. Around £60 I would say.

So we can assume that the console will also be two-tone as well then? As consoles often mimic the colour of the controllers.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah. Funny to think that they basically hinted to the colour of PS5 back in 2016 with the release of PSVR.
Oh yeah. I haven't used it for so long I forgot the colour of it. Not sure how I think about a two-toned console though.

Speaking of PSVR, I wonder if they'll do a big update and release a new one after PS5 has been on the market for a year or so. I would love to have a wireless one.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

I like it, although I'd make one subtle change to it and keep the colours for the main buttons as that colour scheme is like a tradition.

I hope we get the full console design very soon, this reveal has amped up the anticipation for that for me.

stu_1992

Weird shape, not sure how I feel about the design but at the end of the day, all that matters is how it feels. SO I'll reserve judgement until then. It's clear that it will be a bigger jump between controllers than we've previously seen. Lots of people are hung up on the color, but that part doesn't bother me at all.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I like the new controller. Some color changes and maybe color playstation logo will enhance the look further. Has interesting features too. It seems PS5 is going to be quite a unique gaming console.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Oh yeah. I haven't used it for so long I forgot the colour of it. Not sure how I think about a two-toned console though.

Speaking of PSVR, I wonder if they'll do a big update and release a new one after PS5 has been on the market for a year or so. I would love to have a wireless one.
I'm positive they will - probably around 2022-2023.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Is wireless VR a thing yet? I assume that it will need WiFi 6E to transmit 2x HD streams with low enough latency to also be responsive with the controller commands?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Is wireless VR a thing yet? I assume that it will need WiFi 6E to transmit 2x HD streams with low enough latency to also be responsive with the controller commands?
Well you can get a wireless adapter for the HTC Vive and the Oculus Quest is wireless, but that's a standalone thing where no PC is required. So not really, I guess. The reason I even mention it is because using the PSVR is such a pain in the arse. The wires are completely out of control, and unless you have an area in your home that is specifically used for this, you're forever setting it up and dismantling it.

It was something I never even considered when I purchased it, but it's a real hindrance.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Do we have any confirmation about back buttons being included on this? The back button attachment for the PS4 controller is a game changer. Paddles are essential now for me.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Do we have any confirmation about back buttons being included on this? The back button attachment for the PS4 controller is a game changer. Paddles are essential now for me.
There's no direct sight of the back of the controller but I think they would have mentioned it in this post if there were back buttons. I imagine there will be another attachment released for it.

Ainu

Surely they would've said it or shown us a picture of the back if they were included. It's worth noting the base Series X controller also doesn't have back buttons. It's not something we should expect on base controllers. I haven't looked at the back button attachment yet, could it be compatible with this one as well?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It looks fine for what will probably be a controller for £40-£50.

You literally compared it looks wise to a controller for £160 but not something like, you know, the actual Series X controller? (which is also plasticy)

I don't get your argument here. It looks like a more refined design wise to a DS4 and at roughly the same build quality (we only have like 2-3 images so far). Given that they are likely going in for the same price point I don't know what you were expecting?
My argument is simply that it looks a bit crap when you’d expect them to have designed something that doesn’t look a bit crap. Especially when you consider this is a high end console, all the big brands are making aesthetically pleasing stuff these days and this is Sony’s main thing.

I’m comparing it to a more expensive controller because it’s one that’s been designed well. Again, that doesn’t need to cost 160 quid. I doubt the Elite costs much more than the regular controller to make, especially if you remove the extra features that aren’t needed for most people.

It looks like a knock off, so I’m just pointing that out. Design interests me. It’s fine in use, I’m sure.

Ainu

I don't think it looks like a knock off or a bit crap at all. If you look at the close-up pictures it looks just as well built as any of the other first-party controllers. I get that the colour scheme is divisive but that doesn't mean it's not designed well.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Surely they would've said it or shown us a picture of the back if they were included. It's worth noting the base Series X controller also doesn't have back buttons. It's not something we should expect on base controllers. I haven't looked at the back button attachment yet, could it be compatible with this one as well?
It’s possible but that wouldn’t make economical sense unfortunately. There were strong reports it would be included so it’s disappointing if not.

MadMike

Pure black is definitely nicer, but colour is of little importance there will be 100 different colour schemes within 2-3 months of the release.

How will the mic work, won't it be picking up you finger tapping the buttons like crazy? Don't think it can come close to wearing a headset.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
it looks basically the same shape as the Switch Pro controller which I'm OK with, as it's great.
I was going to say the exact same thing.

It’s possible but that wouldn’t make economical sense unfortunately. There were strong reports it would be included so it’s disappointing if not.
Yeah, you sell it separately and market it as a mandatory accessory with games developed with it in mind. Dollar bills...

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They would get slaughtered if it was mandatory for some games and it wasn't on the default controller.
No, you make people think they need it. Still completely optional for all games.

One more thing to toss into the cart.