Gaming PlayStation 5

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Do we have any confirmation about back buttons being included on this? The back button attachment for the PS4 controller is a game changer. Paddles are essential now for me.
This is what I thought the back button attachment they released fairly recently was forecasting. I was sure that this controller would have back paddles on it. There again, that would probably be too expensive.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
This is what I thought the back button attachment they released fairly recently was forecasting. I was sure that this controller would have back paddles on it. There again, that would probably be too expensive.
I'm reckoning it'll be an "elite" type deal if you want it built into the controller, and an add on for the standards controllers.

Bojan11

Bloomberg reporting limited launch and higher price for the first year.

Could be like the 360 launch.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Bloomberg reporting limited launch and higher price for the first year.

Could be like the 360 launch.
Apparently there’s division between the execs on pricing. Some want a higher price to make a profit on each console whereas other are happy to make a small loss.

I’ll still be getting one on launch day regardless:)

Ainu

Epic Games just released a demo of their new Unreal Engine 5 running on a PS5. It's pretty bizarre the first thing actually running on a PS5 would be unveiled by anyone other than Sony, but there you go. It's a tech demo so it doesn't really tell us much, but still, any news is better than Sony's silence I guess?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Epic Games just released a demo of their new Unreal Engine 5 running on a PS5. It's pretty bizarre the first thing actually running on a PS5 would be unveiled by anyone other than Sony, but there you go. It's a tech demo so it doesn't really tell us much, but still, any news is better than Sony's silence I guess?

Surprised Xbox weren't the ones to do the deal with Epic given how many of their first party studios use Unreal Engine compared to PlayStation.

With the PS5 reveal not being until next month, the timing of this was fairly good giving people a glimpse of what games could look like next gen. The character in the demo wasn't that impressive to me but everything else looked fantastic.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

@4:17 I wouldn't show off that water simulation, it's not great

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Thats actually disgusting btw. Being able to bring in objects directly from zbrush or mudbox is massive for reducing artist workflow.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Thats actually disgusting btw. Being able to bring in objects directly from zbrush or mudbox is massive for reducing artist workflow.
This sounds promising. I was thinking, obviously the more detailed worlds become, the more work is involved, and the more time it will take for quality games to come out. I'm glad there's potential ways to reduce that.

Woodzy

There’s still going to be the issue of file sizes though. They are already huge - imagine Red Dead Redemption with high poly characters and environments? I’d imagine we would be look at over 1TB of files.

Either way, it’s quite clear this is the future and I don’t see that being an issue in 3-4 years.

It’s going to change my industry massively, and I don’t work in games. I’m not sure whether it’s best for me to learn Unreal now to get ahead of the curve or wait until this tech is actually available.

Interested to see where simulation ends up. There’s some amazing real-time pyro tools that have just been released that’s speeds up my work massively.

Liquids interest me more though - a good liquid simulation in production fx can require millions of particles, that also need meshing to render as a surface. If they can speed up that workflow then they can take whatever money I have, I don’t care if it’s free.

EwanI Ted

Nice demo, but I still feel like each new generation faces the issue of diminishing returns.

EwanI Ted

Not really.
Drop the res somewhat
Up the frames
Add more depth in the scenes
Kind of what I was getting at. We get more fidelity but the power doesn't seem to be opening the door to new game types that weren't previously possible, as we did in the first two or three generations of the Playstation.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Kind of what I was getting at. We get more fidelity but the power doesn't seem to be opening the door to new game types that weren't previously possible, as we did in the first two or three generations of the Playstation.
Thing is, most console gamers dont realise.
Up until a few year ago I didn't even know FPS was a thing.
Twitch is sort of changing that. More people are watching streamers and realise that it actually matters, more than the resolution, but in reality, it's still a small proportion of gamers.

This gen, the new buzz words are 120fps and 8k gaming.
Both of which we may not really see, or infrequently used, but it gets people hyped.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There’s still going to be the issue of file sizes though. They are already huge - imagine Red Dead Redemption with high poly characters and environments? I’d imagine we would be look at over 1TB of files.

Either way, it’s quite clear this is the future and I don’t see that being an issue in 3-4 years.

It’s going to change my industry massively, and I don’t work in games. I’m not sure whether it’s best for me to learn Unreal now to get ahead of the curve or wait until this tech is actually available.

Interested to see where simulation ends up. There’s some amazing real-time pyro tools that have just been released that’s speeds up my work massively.

Liquids interest me more though - a good liquid simulation in production fx can require millions of particles, that also need meshing to render as a surface. If they can speed up that workflow then they can take whatever money I have, I don’t care if it’s free.
The way I understand it is that with the new tech/solutions, the ability to only load into memory what is needed and no longer a need to have multiple copies of assets to alleviate the seek problems associated with HHD specifically, we might be getting smaller install sizes (but I'm sure these will get bigger again due to scene complexity :drool:)? Is this true?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
From that article:

Other PlayStation 5 events may follow in the coming weeks and months, and Sony is not expected to reveal every essential detail on the console during its first presentation.
So looks like they're going to drip-feed information for the next few weeks/months. I wonder what they're going to show off in this one. Surely they have to reveal the actual device? Be taking the piss a bit if they didn't. I can't see them revealing the price yet though.

Damien

Staff
From that article:

So looks like they're going to drip-feed information for the next few weeks/months. I wonder what they're going to show off in this one. Surely they have to reveal the actual device? Be taking the piss a bit if they didn't. I can't see them revealing the price yet though.
That'll likely be soon as otherwise they risk the design being leaked. I expect this one will mostly be about showing off gameplay. Price will probably be revealed around August, after TLOU2 and GOT have launched.

RedDevilRoshi

From that article:

You would hope so and I imagine it will be unveiled this Wednesday.

That'll likely be soon as otherwise they risk the design being leaked. I expect this one will mostly be about showing off gameplay. Price will probably be revealed around August, after TLOU2 and GOT have launched.
Might be wrong but don’t Sony normally unveil their price until after Microsoft have unveiled theirs? I remember them doing it for the PS4 shortly after Microsoft had set theirs for the XB1. Also once the price has been set, you’d surely think they will also provide us its expected release date?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Looking forward to it. They better show the device off. I see no reason why they wouldn't.

Damien

Staff
"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
"We believe in generations. But they should also not be mixed. So you won't be able to play any of your PS1, 2 or 3 games on it. Buy the remastered versions you cheap bastards"

I hope the entire conference is just Cerny on Zoom talking about the SSD and a long wanky montage of PS4 games, and at the end they say "stay tuned for our official reveal in three months time".