Gaming PlayStation 5

Bojan11

You would hope so and I imagine it will be unveiled this Wednesday.

Might be wrong but don’t Sony normally unveil their price until after Microsoft have unveiled theirs? I remember them doing it for the PS4 shortly after Microsoft had set theirs for the XB1. Also once the price has been set, you’d surely think they will also provide us its expected release date?
Both sides are waiting for each other to show their hand first.

I think eventually Sony will have enough as they are market leaders and name the price first. Retailers will be pushing as they want preorders. For anyone interested, I preordered my preorder slot for both on ShopTo. @Damien, @afrocentricity @Alock1 or anyone else in the UK. They use DPD for delivery which is better. Probably order from another place though as backup. Most likely Argos as they do midnight delivery at times. I was planning on going to a store launch, but no way with what’s going on even if it should quieten down by November.

MS have pretty much revealed everything about the console and design.They could have easily named a price if they wanted to. But I’m sure they waiting for Sony to go first, so they can undercut it. Microsoft seem happy to take the loss as they’d more interested in you signing for their Xbox live or gamepass subs. Doubt Sony will start taking losses again. The parts for PS5 cost 450 dollars, so I’m still going with my £500 prediction.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Was not expecting that tag to be one with genuine advice @Bojan11 haha

Not sure which I'll be going for first yet (though likely Xbox for halo and game pass) Both eventually and likely I'll play little of either.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Will the price of my ps4 literally go down on June the 3rd?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

I think eventually Sony will have enough as they are market leaders and name the price first. Retailers will be pushing as they want preorders. For anyone interested, I preordered my preorder slot for both on ShopTo. @Damien, @afrocentricity @Alock1 or anyone else in the UK. They use DPD for delivery which is better. Probably order from another place though as backup. Most likely Argos as they do midnight delivery at times. I was planning on going to a store launch, but no way with what’s going on even if it should quieten down by November.
Thanks. I remember the PS4 launch was pretty tough but managed to get one. With the situation, even though things have eased a bit, you'd figure it'll be even tougher to get your hands on one.

Bojan11

Should have put links as ShopTo site is still a bit rubbish to navigate after 12 years.

https://www.shopto.net/en/ps5hw01-playstation-5-console-p191472/

That’s for PS5. Basically you pay a penny right now for a place in the queue. Once price and stuff come they will email you asking if you would like to keep your preorder and if you do then you will keep your place. Most people will probably preorder once the price is announced and console is shown. So I am guessing whoever preorders now with ShopTo will get one at launch even with limited stock.

I imagine there will be a few bundles. I remember last time ShopTo allowed me to change to a bundle with Killzone, Camera and extra controller.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Should have put links as ShopTo site is still a bit rubbish to navigate after 12 years.

https://www.shopto.net/en/ps5hw01-playstation-5-console-p191472/

That’s for PS5. Basically you pay a penny right now for a place in the queue. Once price and stuff come they will email you asking if you would like to keep your preorder and if you do then you will keep your place. Most people will probably preorder once the price is announced and console is shown. So I am guessing whoever preorders now with ShopTo will get one at launch even with limited stock.

I imagine there will be a few bundles. I remember last time ShopTo allowed me to change to a bundle with Killzone, Camera and extra controller.
In the current climate I can't really see them flying off the shelves like in previous cases but I might be wrong.

Ainu

This is a strong move. Whether it’ll mean anything in practice is another thing, but it’s got me interested.
It might not mean much at launch. I mean, Knack was a PS4 launch title... We'll have to wait and see I guess. We know something like Assassin's Creed Valhalla will be a cross-gen title shortly after the PS5's launch, so they need something that looks like an obvious upgrade over that game at launch. Another Killzone Shadow Fall at least, which was a fantastic display of the PS4's capabilities, even if it was a pretty mediocre game.

afrocentricity

In the current climate I can't really see them flying off the shelves like in previous cases but I might be wrong.
Reckon they'll sell out like normal...

MS have pretty much revealed everything about the console and design.They could have easily named a price if they wanted to. But I’m sure they waiting for Sony to go first, so they can undercut it. Microsoft seem happy to take the loss as they’d more interested in you signing for their Xbox live or gamepass subs. Doubt Sony will start taking losses again. The parts for PS5 cost 450 dollars, so I’m still going with my £500 prediction.
Cheers.

Bojan11

Nah. This will be another 360 fiasco and probably worse than the PS4 in terms of getting hold of one.

Yes it will be expensive but you can also knock off the price by selling your current console as these consoles support BC. Something a lot of people couldn’t do last time because they wanted to play games like GT 6, GTAV or last of us which were only on the PS3 at the time of launch.

Let’s not forget IPhone 3G came out during a recession and sold like crazy.

Also MS have started offering monthly contracts for consoles. I think GAME do it also with PS4.

Adam-Utd

Nah. This will be another 360 fiasco and probably worse than the PS4 in terms of getting hold of one.

Yes it will be expensive but you can also knock off the price by selling your current console as these consoles support BC. Something a lot of people couldn’t do last time because they wanted to play games like GT 6, GTAV or last of us which were only on the PS3 at the time of launch.

Let’s not forget IPhone 3G came out during a recession and sold like crazy.

Also MS have started offering monthly contracts for consoles. I think GAME do it also with PS4.
Fair point, hopefully they'll have made plenty of stock by now anyway. Not sure why they release things then have such small stock? perhaps it being "sold out" is good publicity.

Not sure whether i'll get one straight away or wait for the demand to settle.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Fair point, hopefully they'll have made plenty of stock by now anyway. Not sure why they release things then have such small stock? perhaps it being "sold out" is good publicity.

Not sure whether i'll get one straight away or wait for the demand to settle.
Production is reportedly in June.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Will the price of my ps4 literally go down on June the 3rd?
It won't drop any more substantially than what it is now. There will still be loads of people in the market for the PS4 even when the new one is out. You'll get the early adopters when the PS5 is released, but loads of people will stick with their PS4 or be in the market for one even a few years down the line.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It won't drop any more substantially than what it is now. There will still be loads of people in the market for the PS4 even when the new one is out. You'll get the early adopters when the PS5 is released, but loads of people will stick with their PS4 or be in the market for one even a few years down the line.
I reckon a lot more people will be interested in getting the new consoles ASAP because they’ve got back in to it over lockdown. I only touched my Xbox a few times over the last few years (red dead 2 for a few months and every time fifa comes out briefly, til I’m bored of it), but now I’m back on the wagon

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Wouldn't fancy selling my PS4 now. Thing sounds like a jet engine and that's even when running older less graphically intense games.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Wouldn't fancy selling my PS4 now. Thing sounds like a jet engine and that's even when running older less graphically intense games.
Yeah my Pro is crazy loud, luckily I wear a gaming headset but when I take them off it's like a fecking rocket engine. Hope they've made the PS5 a lot quieter to run.

Irwin99

My PS4 is doing exactly the same thing, and i'm worried it's just going to pack up soon. I'm playing Nier Automata at the mo (which is 2 or 3 years old I think) and the machine sounds like it's going to explode if it gets any louder. God knows how it's going to handle Ghosts of tsushima or cyberpunk.

I might end up just getting the PS5 very soon after it's release because of this.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If your PS4s are noisy it’s worth checking the fans and giving it a good clean. Plenty of tutorials online. If the fans and heat sinks are clean they’re more efficient and will run at lower speeds more consistently.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I reckon a lot more people will be interested in getting the new consoles ASAP because they’ve got back in to it over lockdown. I only touched my Xbox a few times over the last few years (red dead 2 for a few months and every time fifa comes out briefly, til I’m bored of it), but now I’m back on the wagon
Not sure. Maybe. Although the argument could be made that due to the financial impact that will be affecting many people, the thought of spending up to £500 on a luxury item is a bit fanciful at the moment. Just from a personal POV, I'm also not that desperate for the new generation. I'm excited, don't get me wrong, but I still think this generation has so much to offer. Next-gen really has to hit it out the park for me to take the leap immediately.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I disagree. There will be a flood of used PS4s on the market. I would say the used price will drop £50 over the launch

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Is anyone on this forum getting the next Xbox (lol)?

I'm unsure if I should get both at launch, at some point, I'll pick up a PS5, though. I have not owned a PS since the PS2.

rcoobc

My PS4 2TB internal HDD is full. I'm tempted to get a 1TB or 2TB SSD and use the 2TB HDD as an external drive.

But even a 1TB SSD is £100+ and it only lops off between 10% and 50% of load times right? I feel like I'm probably better off just waiting for the PS5?

But then again is there any point in getting a PS5 without a 4K TV? Maybe I should get a SSD

RedDevilRoshi

My PS4 2TB internal HDD is full. I'm tempted to get a 1TB or 2TB SSD and use the 2TB HDD as an external drive.

But even a 1TB SSD is £100+ and it only lops off between 10% and 50% of load times right? I feel like I'm probably better off just waiting for the PS5?

But then again is there any point in getting a PS5 without a 4K TV? Maybe I should get a SSD
Probably not as you aren’t really going to be getting the very best out of the console (graphics wise) unless you’ve got a 4K tv.

Bojan11

Depends how badly you want it and if the games interest you. Usually launch games are a dud especially from Sony. The games on PS4 launch were average. I mean Resogun was good. Then for PS3 launch you had motorstorm and Resistance. Both were ok, but nothing special. We shall see on Thursday what’s coming.

Remember most third party games will be coming on PS4. No way will publisher ditch 100m users. Probably take years for that to happen.

4K tv obviously you will get more benefits. But I’m sure some games give you the option if you tone down the resolution that you get better performance.

rcoobc

Depends how badly you want it and if the games interest you. Usually launch games are a dud especially from Sony. The games on PS4 launch were average. I mean Resogun was good. Then for PS3 launch you had motorstorm and Resistance. Both were ok, but nothing special. We shall see on Thursday what’s coming.

Remember most third party games will be coming on PS4. No way will publisher ditch 100m users. Probably take years for that to happen.

4K tv obviously you will get more benefits. But I’m sure some games give you the option if you tone down the resolution that you get better performance.
Totally agree. The PS3 launch titles were crazily weak. Motorstorm was a good game except the original didnt have splitcreen. I was like "is this the future?" Apparently it was, and I noped out of it.

But what to do about my PS4. I cleaned it out the other day, but only took the bottom part of it apart. It still sounds like a jet engine, so I'm going to have to give it a proper clean and re-do the thermal paste (not because it needs it, I did it 18 months ago, but because I'll be taking it apart). But with so many PS Plus games taking up hundreds of GB I need more space. But what is the point of getting a 2TB hard drive for £200 when the OG PS4 itself comes isn't probably worth that much now.

Edit - I think I'll wait until this PS5 event. Maybe they'll announce that there is a traditional hard drive slot alongside the superfast SSD in which case a 2TB SSD makes a bit more sense