Gaming PlayStation 5

kidbob

Any solid info out there as to when this will be available to buy without having to set up alerts or bother with queues or the likes?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Any solid info out there as to when this will be available to buy without having to set up alerts or bother with queues or the likes?
Well if you're not willing, or don't want to, set up alerts or wait in online queues, etc, then you're probably looking at next year for them to be readily available on store shelves.

Otherwise, you're going to have to join everyone else and set up email alerts or visit sites that do that for you, then hope you get lucky. There was a lot of talk that there would be some online stock at the beginning of Feb

kidbob

Well if you're not willing, or don't want to, set up alerts or wait in online queues, etc, then you're probably looking at next year for them to be readily available on store shelves.

Otherwise, you're going to have to join everyone else and set up email alerts or visit sites that do that for you, then hope you get lucky. There was a lot of talk that there would be some online stock at the beginning of Feb
Shit next year really? Thats madness for a company like Sony. I thought it'd be like the PS4 release where they were scarce until around March. I'll set up the alerts so.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Shit next year really? Thats madness for a company like Sony. I thought it'd be like the PS4 release where they were scarce until around March. I'll set up the alerts so.
Well, bear in mind that this isn't something that has been confirmed by Sony, etc. It's just my opinion (and many other peoples) that it could be the end of this year, maybe earlier next before you can stroll into a shop and easily buy one off the shelves. Judging by the scarcity now, the impact that the pandemic has undoubtedly had, and the trouble they're having manufacturing enough.

If you keep your eyes peeled and look on certain websites that update you on stock availability, you should get one way before then.

kidbob

Well, bear in mind that this isn't something that has been confirmed by Sony, etc. It's just my opinion (and many other peoples) that it could be the end of this year, maybe earlier next before you can stroll into a shop and easily buy one off the shelves. Judging by the scarcity now, the impact that the pandemic has undoubtedly had, and the trouble they're having manufacturing enough.

If you keep your eyes peeled and look on certain websites that update you on stock availability, you should get one way before then.
Cheers for the info mate. I'll set up alerts and go from there. I'd be willing to wait a few months but not that long so better safe than sorry.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Unfortunately the pandemic plus the rise in scalping since then means it'll likely be much longer. It isn't just a Sony problem. Xbox is similarly flying off the shelves.

kidbob

Unfortunately the pandemic plus the rise in scalping since then means it'll likely be much longer. It isn't just a Sony problem. Xbox is similarly flying off the shelves.
Yeah thats understandable. As a big fan of going to gigs feck the scalpers in particular. I'd love a way of legislating against that sort of thing happening. I'm not a massive gamer so I would be definitely willing to wait until even June or July to just be able to pick a PS5 up without putting in much effort but I've set up alerts and the likes now just in case it will be difficult to get one until towards the end of the year.

JP77

Sweet! Thanks!
Use HotStocks app, usually very quick alerts when there’s a drop. You’ll still struggle right now though as there’s so many people trying to get one as well as competition from bots/scalpers. I’d keep an eye out for the next Game and Argos drops. Argos may be a good one as they should do click and collect at your nearest store, should be some more drops in February mate.

If shops open up again sometime soon then I think that’ll help the situation quite a bit.

kidbob

Use HotStocks app, usually very quick alerts when there’s a drop. You’ll still struggle right now though as there’s so many people trying to get one as well as competition from bots/scalpers. I’d keep an eye out for the next Game and Argos drops. Argos may be a good one as they should do click and collect at your nearest store, should be some more drops in February mate.

If shops open up again sometime soon then I think that’ll help the situation quite a bit.
Nice one mate I'll give that a go. Like I said I wouldn't mind waiting until the summer but if I have to put in more effort to get one then I'll just have to do it. Thanks for the help.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
In reality you have to beat these apps. There is a delay before they send notifications. If you wait for them you’ll be competing with people who got the alerts at the same time.

the only way to win it is to use rumours to make an educated guess on when drops will occur and constantly refresh pages yourself

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I'm not even arsed about a ps5 now.

Just going through the backlog on PS4, and not buying anything new unless it's a major deal in a sale.

By time ps5s are easy to pickup, there will be a ton of ps5 games I've missed out on and probably on sale anyway.

JP77

In reality you have to beat these apps. There is a delay before they send notifications. If you wait for them you’ll be competing with people who got the alerts at the same time.

the only way to win it is to use rumours to make an educated guess on when drops will occur and constantly refresh pages yourself
True to an extent. Alerts from Hotstock, a reliable twitter and a discord are about as good as you're going to get. Discord is very good, alerts as quick as you can get really. The issue is that a lot of the retailers are dropping at unexpected times so you've got to consistently look throughout the day (and some are dropping in the middle of the night) which for some people isn't possible which is why the alerts are worth a go. Game was the one that dropped at a good estimated time the other week when I got mine.

I spent a good amount of time with alerts and checking consistently to get mine. Refreshed Game dead on 10am and they dropped at that precise moment, 30 seconds later and I'd probably have been in a queue and not made it. Not disagreeing with what you said but the alerts are definitely helpful, it just depends on the site. Smyths etc sell out almost in an instance so by the time the alert comes through it's tough to get. Game, Argos etc are completely different and doable through the right alerts.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I've managed to get my hands on one of the digital versions. Well, I'll be getting it tomorrow.

Is there a real quality difference between the digital version and 'disc' version? Has anyone had difficulty or annoyances with the digital version? Wondering why its so much cheaper!

RoadTrip

True to an extent. Alerts from Hotstock, a reliable twitter and a discord are about as good as you're going to get. Discord is very good, alerts as quick as you can get really. The issue is that a lot of the retailers are dropping at unexpected times so you've got to consistently look throughout the day (and some are dropping in the middle of the night) which for some people isn't possible which is why the alerts are worth a go. Game was the one that dropped at a good estimated time the other week when I got mine.

I spent a good amount of time with alerts and checking consistently to get mine. Refreshed Game dead on 10am and they dropped at that precise moment, 30 seconds later and I'd probably have been in a queue and not made it. Not disagreeing with what you said but the alerts are definitely helpful, it just depends on the site. Smyths etc sell out almost in an instance so by the time the alert comes through it's tough to get. Game, Argos etc are completely different and doable through the right alerts.
I spent the last 2 weeks on all of those alerts including Telegram (who the F even knew that existed?!)

Every time I clicked on an alert I was always too late or in a queue. I eventually got one from Argos.

I think with alerts for the next batch of drops one might be ok as demand will be that slight bit less. But in my view the only way you have a chance is if you do research and know, for example, Game drop at 10, and you constantly refresh the page around that time hoping to be lucky. I know plenty relying on notifications, even scraping apps, and it’s all too late because if you’re not on in the first 10 seconds you’re competing against bots and every other person who has those notifications. Not saying those apps aren’t useful at all, but at best it puts you on a level playing field with all those who use them, and there are a lot. The reality is one needs to seriously invest time in getting one, or get very lucky, for now.

RoadTrip

I've managed to get my hands on one of the digital versions. Well, I'll be getting it tomorrow.

Is there a real quality difference between the digital version and 'disc' version? Has anyone had difficulty or annoyances with the digital version? Wondering why its so much cheaper!
No difference except no disc drive I believe. The only real “issue” I foresee with digital versions is capacity. Disc games take up less space so you may eat up capacity faster on digital.

NM

It's cheaper because you are locked into the PS store ecosystem. Physical games etc. often get cheaper + the retailers get a cut. If you are on the digital version, Sony gets the biggest cut from every game purchase + PSN sales aren't nearly as good as store sales.

That being said, better to have digital than nothing like me.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I'm not even arsed about a ps5 now.

Just going through the backlog on PS4, and not buying anything new unless it's a major deal in a sale.

By time ps5s are easy to pickup, there will be a ton of ps5 games I've missed out on and probably on sale anyway.
Feeling the same way.

For me it's not worth buying at the moment, none of the games really interest me, when the exclusives start coming out then I'll get one.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Feeling the same way.

For me it's not worth buying at the moment, none of the games really interest me, when the exclusives start coming out then I'll get one.
Kind of agree. I think the games are like tweaked ps4 games. I've just bought spiderman miles morales. Great looking game but it's a beefed up ps4 game. But I've got the console now I guess. I bought today watch dogs it looks shit on YouTube so will be returning. Impulse buy at asda.

red4ever 79

It's cheaper because you are locked into the PS store ecosystem. Physical games etc. often get cheaper + the retailers get a cut. If you are on the digital version, Sony gets the biggest cut from every game purchase + PSN sales aren't nearly as good as store sales.

That being said, better to have digital than nothing like me.
Also I would said digital versions are less likely to have maintenance issues. A lot of PS issues are relating to the disc drive

pascell

Argos are apparently dropping 2 lots in Feb & March, Game mid Feb too.

Edit: And Smyths too.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
You lot were right about the disc drive being the source of the intermittent noise. Removed MM from it and haven't heard a peep since.

Ghost of Tsushima is just so gorgeous.

passing-wind

If anyone is still using website alerts via third party sites stop. If using Google Chrome download an extension called "Distill Web Monitor". You can set the pages to refresh from every 1 second.

I've beat stockinformer alerts multiple times using this, already had the console so used it to snap up the Dual Sense charging station along with the pulse headphones.

No sleepless nights, the extension makes a noise the moment a website changes to "in stock" and there's no delay as you cut out the middle man websites. They also give you free email alerts and it's pretty much instantaneous.

Adamsk7

Spider-man really is a fantastic game. Just completed it for the second time, this time Remastered on the PS5, and it was an even better experience in Performance RT at 60fps. That last quarter where the stakes get higher and the speed of the game ramps up is just a joy from start to finish. Now to move on to the DLC, which i've never played, and then Miles Morales.

hobbers

Glad I never bothered with Spiderman or Ghost of Tsushima on PS4. Such an improved experience at 60fps, no idea how anyone copes playing games at 30fps in this day and age.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Glad I never bothered with Spiderman or Ghost of Tsushima on PS4. Such an improved experience at 60fps, no idea how anyone copes playing games at 30fps in this day and age.
It’s funny going back to 30fps games is genuinely a really hard experience after the joy of the PS5. I decided to have a go at horizon zero dawn and it was just awful now I have been spoilt by 60fps.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s funny going back to 30fps games is genuinely a really hard experience after the joy of the PS5. I decided to have a go at horizon zero dawn and it was just awful now I have been spoilt by 60fps.
30fps games are just about manageable if they don’t dip below 24fps. It’s when they struggle to keep above they are seriously distracting.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yet @Redlambs tries to tell us there’s no difference!
The funny thing is, despite me banging on and on about how fps does actually matter all these years and the console riffraff finally admitting it despite arguing against, now they deny there's a difference with even higher :rolleyes:

Consoles are 20+ years behind the curve on this, but thank feck these guys finally understand what the fuss was about :lol:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The funny thing is, despite me banging on and on about how fps does actually matter all these years and the console riffraff finally admitting it despite arguing against, now they deny there's a difference with even higher :rolleyes:

Consoles are 20+ years behind the curve on this, but thank feck these guys finally understand what the fuss was about :lol:
Yeah it is a crazy difference to be fair. I was playing Demons Souls in 60fps then changed the settings and 30fps was disgustingly bad :lol:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Feeling the same way.

I got one at launch and have spent most of my time playing PS4 games on it.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I got one at launch and have spent most of my time playing PS4 games on it.
I think a lot of people are doing the same. I think both new consoles have been disspointing with launch titles.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How the feck did they balls stuff up so badly that it will take another year to supply these things. Surely a big corporation like Sony doesnt mind their child labourers getting Covid while working 160 hours a week.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
How the feck did they balls stuff up so badly that it will take another year to supply these things. Surely a big corporation like Sony doesnt mind their child labourers getting Covid while working 160 hours a week.
It's not just Sony though. AMD are the ones who supply the CPUs for the PS5 (and Xbox too) and they can't meet production even on their own products which then has knock on effects. I'm pretty sure Covid has also impacted the mining of the materials used to make chips and GPUs so there are less being made?

Plus demand for gaming has never been higher due to Covid. Combination of people being stuck at home and having loads of money saved makes demand higher than ever. PC gaming is just as bad, if not worse. Every decent component is either sold out or massively inflated in price right now.

Balljy

It's not just Sony though. AMD are the ones who supply the CPUs for the PS5 (and Xbox too) and they can't meet production even on their own products which then has knock on effects. I'm pretty sure Covid has also impacted the mining of the materials used to make chips and GPUs so there are less being made?

Plus demand for gaming has never been higher due to Covid. Combination of people being stuck at home and having loads of money saved makes demand higher than ever. PC gaming is just as bad, if not worse. Every decent component is either sold out or massively inflated in price right now.
AMD's problem is down to TSMC who make AMD's chips. They are 100% capacity, they don't make only AMD silicon and slots have to be bought months in advance. AMD managed to buy some extra capacity off the space Huawei left but that was nowhere near enough. They're having to juggle everything they're making with a fixed production block at TSMC and share it between Sony, Microsoft and their own chips.

The funny thing is they seem to be prioritising CPU's as their GPU's are pretty much non-existent even in comparison to Nvidia and it's still nowhere near enough.

Bojan11

Coming to you tomorrow on February 2nd, we will be releasing a free patch that replaces the current video graphics mode option with a new default setting that will offer the best of bothperformance and resolution to our PlayStation 5 players!

ENHANCED PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE
  • Syncs to 60 FPS
  • 4K Checkerboard Resolution*
  • 2160p*
You can go back to the original PlayStation 4 ‘Favor Resolution’ video graphics mode at any time by selecting Original Performance Experience, which will offer 4K Checkerboard Resolution* synced to 30 FPS.
https://sms.playstation.com/stories/enhanced-performance-experience-playstation-5-god-of-war-2018