Gaming PlayStation 5

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
We getting a look at the console tonight or is it just software?
If not tonight I think we'll see it very soon. The event tonight is over an hour long so I can't see it being software only, but then if they do reveal the PS5 that might take the limelight over the games themselves. They'll have to reveal it soon before someone in the factories does.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Should I watch this? I don't want to spend money on a new console and I'm the type of person who just buys things on impulse and worries about which organ to sell later.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fair enough, just been reading up on this and it’s interesting that they optimised load speeds at the expense of disk space for mechanical drives. Sounds like they could potentially see a huge reduction in installation sizes. I was expecting a Moore’s law type of growth generation upon generation. I imagine with the increase in texture sizes and complexity of games along with improvements in development engines allowing for the production of bigger game worlds, I imagine games will still be around 200GB.
Yeah you might be right.
But I like having three lungs.
You don't actually need lungs, think about it, you could have 3 PS5s... A PS15 essentially.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
XBOX is for people who don't understand computers and are perhaps intimidated about getting a PC. There is no other reason to get one. I hate the XBOX because it has single handedly slowed down the development of PC tech - graphics cards, CPU's, etc.
As if PlayStation is worlds apart because of a couple of exclusives this gen.

PlayStation pretentiousness must be close to matching PC now.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
As if PlayStation is worlds apart because of a couple of exclusives this gen.

I think PlayStation players are somehow managing to match PC players with their pretentious rubbish.
Pretentious rubbish? You can play the same games that you get on XBOX on a PC but at higher resolution, higher FPS, the option to use keyboard and mouse and usually with better online experience. That is all a fact. I am only guessing at why people don't just buy a PC instead - perhaps you can help me with that.

PlayStation has many games that you can only play on a PlayStation - that's the big difference here. I'm not a console player but even I am a bit interested to see how the PS5 looks as it's the only console i'd consider getting. Nintendo is great at what they do but I find most of their games only mildly diverting and I get bored very quickly.

Ainu

Pretentious rubbish? You can play the same games that you get on XBOX on a PC but at higher resolution, higher FPS, the option to use keyboard and mouse and usually with better online experience. That is all a fact. I am only guessing at why people don't just buy a PC instead - perhaps you can help me with that.

PlayStation has many games that you can only play on a PlayStation - that's the big difference here. I'm not a console player but even I am a bit interested to see how the PS5 looks as it's the only console i'd consider getting. Nintendo is great at what they do but I find most of their games only mildly diverting and I get bored very quickly.
Come on, there are still legitimate reasons to get an Xbox versus playing everything on pc. Price is the big one, of course, easy of use, preference for gaming lazily in your couch in front of a huge tv are two more that spring to mind. These might not be compelling arguments for you personally, but for many they will be.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Come on, there are still legitimate reasons to get an Xbox versus playing everything on pc. Price is the big one, of course, easy of use, preference for gaming lazily in your couch in front of a huge tv are two more that spring to mind. These might not be compelling arguments for you personally, but for many they will be.
You can do that with a PC relatively easily too though - I have mine upstairs but with steam link I just beam it downstairs into my living room anytime I want. I get you on price but you can get a semi-decent PC for maybe £500-600.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Or just get a PS so you have all those things and all the Sony exclusives too.

Plus you can do all of the above with a PC.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
XBOX is for people who don't understand computers and are perhaps intimidated about getting a PC. There is no other reason to get one. I hate the XBOX because it has single handedly slowed down the development of PC tech - graphics cards, CPU's, etc.
I don’t really think it has. Even today you can get yourself a better spec PC than what Xbox Series X will be. Of course it’s going to cost you a couple of grand but you can’t edit video on your Xbox, have access to vast amount of games and genres from years back. The ability to customise your in-game settings. PC gaming is for a different type of gamer who likes tinkering with settings imo. I got into pc gaming only recently and I can understand why people prefer console gaming.pc gaming can be quite daunting actually.

Paxi

Wait PS5 is going to be 825GB or 2TB? I realise their drive is the star of the show and likely to be expensive but that is going to fill up seriously quickly and I’m guessing any expansion drives are going to be via USB and not take advantage of bus speeds the internal drive has access to?
it will 825. No way they make it 2tb without absolutely blowing the pricing to high heaven.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
it will 825. No way they make it 2tb without absolutely blowing the pricing to high heaven.
I meant "the option of 825GB or the premium 2TB" which it sounds like is the case.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I didn’t mean to be quite so abrasive.

Not everyone uses it enough to build a pc. I barely touched my Xbox for years until Red Dead 2 then this COD. Not to mention the main thing is having the same thing as your mates, unless crossplay becomes more prevalent. If it does and we all carry on playing more now then yeah it’s probably worth looking in to.
I don’t fancy playing with mouse and keyboard ever though. It doesn’t feel enjoyable at all to me.

There’s definitely plenty of misplaced pretentiousness with PlayStation users at the moment, even just looking through this thread, when there’s really very little between the consoles. The exclusives obviously being the main thing, which is a valid reason to lean towards it, but doesn’t exactly justify some of the comments in here :lol:

Paxi

I meant "the option of 825GB or the premium 2TB" which it sounds like is the case.
Fair enough... I’d be buying myself 825 gb then as still can’t their ‘best in class’ m.2 drive being cheap, especially as the larger pcie 3.0 and 4.0 drives are still so expensive.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Arguments for consoles:
1. Easy to use

- Everyone and their dog knows how to use a pc. If you don't know how to fix shit you are guaranteed a Google search from a step by step solution.

2. You can use it on the big telly and won't need a dedicated space

- You can use the same cable from the console and plug it into the pc and use the TV as a monitor.

3. You prefer the controller

- Both the dualshock and the xbox controller works on pc.

4. Price

- You could build a pc for the same amount of money and get similar/better power, but the stability of the consoles makes them a smoother experience for gaming at the price in my opinion.

5. Exclusive games you want to play

- The real reason to buy consoles.

6. Mobility (switch)

- Another decent reason if you are free to play on the go, although the pc also has streaming options.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'm a little disappointed that it's only going to be 825 GB, that is going to fill up ridiculously quickly. I'd personally be happy to pay more for bigger storage.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm a little disappointed that it's only going to be 825 GB, that is going to fill up ridiculously quickly. I'd personally be happy to pay more for bigger storage.
I'll get the bigger version if that's an option. Always better to go for bigger storage rather than pay money down the line for external.

Paxi

I usually delete my games once I complete them and re download them if I need to but I can it being a problem for those who have internet caps and slow connection.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Arguments for consoles:
1. Easy to use

- Everyone and their dog knows how to use a pc. If you don't know how to fix shit you are guaranteed a Google search from a step by step solution.

2. You can use it on the big telly and won't need a dedicated space

- You can use the same cable from the console and plug it into the pc and use the TV as a monitor.

3. You prefer the controller

- Both the dualshock and the xbox controller works on pc.

4. Price

- You could build a pc for the same amount of money and get similar/better power, but the stability of the consoles makes them a smoother experience for gaming at the price in my opinion.

5. Exclusive games you want to play

- The real reason to buy consoles.

6. Mobility (switch)

- Another decent reason if you are free to play on the go, although the pc also has streaming options.
There's a lot of plus points of PC but they're moot unless all your mates get one too, unless crossplay becomes more prevalent.
Also cheating is absolutely rife on PC, which I think many people will be concerned about after witnessing it on COD now.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I usually delete my games once I complete them and re download them if I need to but I can it being a problem for those who have internet caps and slow connection.
Same but often when I realise I want to play something I want to play it straight away and if it's around 80GB it can take most of the day for me. My connection is pretty fast as well.

Ainu

You can do that with a PC relatively easily too though - I have mine upstairs but with steam link I just beam it downstairs into my living room anytime I want. I get you on price but you can get a semi-decent PC for maybe £500-600.
I know you can do that but it's not something everyone wants to put time and effort into. And, I mean, a £500-600 is just not going to cut it compared to a Series X. The equivalent gpu alone is more than that. I'm saying this as someone who has an extremely capable gaming pc who is absolutely not interested in buying an Xbox, but that doesn't mean I can't see why other people think differently.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Same but often when I realise I want to play something I want to play it straight away and if it's around 80GB it can take most of the day for me. My connection is pretty fast as well.
1GB fibre connection = 3.6mb/s downloads from PSN.

Paxi

It takes me about an hour to 90 min to download 80gb so it’s not so bad. If the premium console is going to be like 100 quid more then I’ll just bite the bullet.

Paxi

1GB fibre connection = 3.6mb/s downloads from PSN.
That’s not right.. I get 500 from virgin and I usually get downloads fairly fast but not as fast as on Xbox one.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
There's a lot of plus points of PC but they're moot unless all your mates get one too, unless crossplay becomes more prevalent.
Also cheating is absolutely rife on PC, which I think many people will be concerned about after witnessing it on COD now.
I don't play shooters (or multiplayer games in general), so I can't really speak of cheating, but i believe you if you say it is more common on pc as it would be easier to do.
Can't speak of which communities friends play in either. Growing up most of my friends had a pc, playstation and some nintendo stuff so there were never a situation where we had to pick a platform based on where the others were. I just put up the arguments I've heard the most.

Crossplay is becoming more prevalent, so it is developing to the right place.

Bojan11

PSN speeds are throttled right now. I got 1GB and get like 40gb during peak times. 650 is best I get during non peak times. But don’t think that speed test on PSN has ever been accurate. Think it uses some Asian servers.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't play shooters (or multiplayer games in general), so I can't really speak of cheating, but i believe you if you say it is more common on pc as it would be easier to do.
Can't speak of which communities friends play in either. Growing up most of my friends had a pc, playstation and some nintendo stuff so there were never a situation where we had to pick a platform based on where the others were. I just put up the arguments I've heard the most.

Crossplay is becoming more prevalent, so it is developing to the right place.
I believe it’s possible on console too but the cheating has been insane on cod when playing with pc players. They’ve only just brought in proper anti cheat so it’s better now but it shows how rife it was without. I don’t know how good anti cheat is on other games though. It might be top notch now so not much of an issue.

b82REZ

Your argument about playing with friends is moot though as Xbox players can play with PC players, albeit with a huge disadvantage in certain games. Also I think cross platform gaming will be standard in this era of consoles as the groundwork was laid this time.

And if you think cheating isn't rife on consoles in FPS games, you'd be wrong.

b82REZ

In my experience downloads are much quicker if you stick your playstation into rest mode.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I believe it’s possible on console too but the cheating has been insane on cod when playing with pc players. They’ve only just brought in proper anti cheat so it’s better now but it shows how rife it was without. I don’t know how good anti cheat is on other games though. It might be top notch now so not much of an issue.
On pc it doesn't really matter how good it is as people will always find ways around it.
If they target the software creators then they might stop it, but not through anti-cheat software in my inexperienced opinion.

There will be issues as shown recently when games tries to get root control of a pc to look for cheaters.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
In my experience downloads are much quicker if you stick your playstation into rest mode.
Yeah, I found this, too. Also, it goes without saying really, but always opt for a wired ethernet connection over WiFi if possible. Makes a huge difference.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I always download in rest mode overnight if possible. Easily the quickest option. It handles downloaded terribly, hope the ps5 solves that somehow.

Not expecting much of this thing today tbh, some jargon, some buzz words, a couple games maybe, no price point, no look at it and no release date.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I know why Sony took this approach for the PS4, but I hope they have a look at the way they handle updates moving into the next generation. The amount of times I’ve had to delete a game for a 15GB patch for COD (or any other big game) is ridiculous. Obviously it’s not the size of the update that you need to look at, it’s the size of the game that your updating.

I get why they do it, but having to constantly delete and then re-download a game just for a 10GB patch even though you have 100Gb free space is a bit maddening. Obviously this is mainly for games that are quite large, but still.

b82REZ

It’s very apparent that it’s nowhere near as rife when you turn off crossplay.
There's more opportunity to be able to cheat on PC but it most certainly happens on consoles as well.

At the end of the day any semi competitive game, regardless of platform, will have cheaters.