Gaming PlayStation 5

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah, I heard the combat isn't great, but it's my understanding (and I could be wrong as I obviously haven't played it) that combat can be avoided a lot of the time? There are probably instances where that isn't feasible, but I hope it's the case somewhat. I'm a little fatigued by the traditional first-person/third-person games where the only way out of a situation is to annihilate everyone in the vicinity.

That's why I'm intrigued by this game.
You can avoid a lot of combat if you want - it still has that MGS DNA in it. And while the combat isn't great, what is there is tremendous fun. In my bald opinion, anyway

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Finally got one today, aunt have time till the late tonight to play it, only thing that puzzles me is why do they have an angle on the handles of the controller.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/h...-expensive-and-more-complicated/1100-6495867/

That isn't the case with Horizon Forbidden West. In fact, there seems to be no current upgrade path at all planned for the game. Instead, Sony is suggesting you make that decision up front. You'll still have the $60 version for PS4 and $70 version for PS5 to choose from, but you won't be able to pay the $10 upgrade fee to make the jump after the fact. Instead, Sony says that they only way to get a version of that game that works across both consoles, you'll need to purchase one of the game's more premium editions, starting at the $80 Digital Deluxe Edition.

Such a dick move from Sony. They're going to lose a lot of faith from people if they keep this shit up. It's even more mental when you consider how many people can't get their hands on a ps5 right now and will have no choice but to play it on ps4.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/h...-expensive-and-more-complicated/1100-6495867/

That isn't the case with Horizon Forbidden West. In fact, there seems to be no current upgrade path at all planned for the game. Instead, Sony is suggesting you make that decision up front. You'll still have the $60 version for PS4 and $70 version for PS5 to choose from, but you won't be able to pay the $10 upgrade fee to make the jump after the fact. Instead, Sony says that they only way to get a version of that game that works across both consoles, you'll need to purchase one of the game's more premium editions, starting at the $80 Digital Deluxe Edition.

Such a dick move from Sony. They're going to lose a lot of faith from people if they keep this shit up. It's even more mental when you consider how many people can't get their hands on a ps5 right now and will have no choice but to play it on ps4.
So even the PS5 version at £70 wouldn't give you the PS4 version whilst you wait? That feels like the minimum they should offer.

I can see them reversing that decision.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Yeah I’ve not been impressed at all with how they’ve gone about stuff like this - they really ought to be making it simpler and fairer for consumers, especially when they’re charging £70 for a game.

Massive Spanner

So even the PS5 version at £70 wouldn't give you the PS4 version whilst you wait? That feels like the minimum they should offer.

I can see them reversing that decision.
Nope it appears not, only the collector's edition and above seems to cover both versions. I think they'll have to. Shortages are likely to continue well into 2022 and this could be really, really bad press for them. Whatever about the price increase for next gen games (which I think is shitty enough for games that are still on current gen!), this is just pure shithousery.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah I’ve not been impressed at all with how they’ve gone about stuff like this - they really ought to be making it simpler and fairer for consumers, especially when they’re charging £70 for a game.
I feel like unless they get hit in the pocket, they'll keep trying. Thing is, (seems like) the majority just bend over for this stuff...

Alock1

They reversed a similar decision on Spiderman right? Or have I imagined that?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Idiotic move not to allow you to even have the option to upgrade it. Even more so when Jim Ryan was saying not so long back about not to worry about the upgrade path, as they're giving PS4 users an upgrade path to get PS5 versions for free.

Wouldnt surprise me if they change course here, but they do some stupid moves sometimes.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ratchet and Clank has gone down in price but it's still around £60. Just can't justify that for a game I'm not desperate to play.

Might get it once it reaches £25-30.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Ratchet and Clank has gone down in price but it's still around £60. Just can't justify that for a game I'm not desperate to play.

Yeah I finished it the other day. It's good but a one play and done type. I'll probably trade mine in actually.

Massive Spanner

It's fecking amazing. One game I didn't mind paying full price for, but it is steep. I would say it's well worth it at around £45

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Takes some getting used to but stick with it because it’s brilliant
I predict I'll be shit at first, then get decent at it and enjoy it. Then one day I'll be chucked into a lobby where you get killed within 2 seconds and thus the game cycle is complete.

Alock1

Bojan messaged me the other day to say that Elvis was a freak who is on Apex all the time, religiously at 8pm every night, and Bojan has made it part of his routine to check if Elvis is online and playing Apex at 8

His words

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Bojan messaged me the other day to say that Elvis was a freak who is on Apex all the time, religiously at 8pm every night, and Bojan has made it part of his routine to check if Elvis is online and playing Apex at 8

His words
I haven’t played much over the last few weeks tbf.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

His words
I've also noticed Elvis always on it :lol:

The Firestarter

Finally decided to get one, out of boredom I guess. So, first impressions:
  • the overall design is nice, but the build quality / finish seems a bit lacking. That goes both for the unit and the controller. They might have made them a little more "premium" but you need to cut costs somewhere I guess.
  • I found odd that you need to connect the controller via USB first , in order to pair it.
  • The pulse 3d headset requires a separate dongle even for use with the PS itself. They might have added that functionality in the unit, since it is an official ps accessory.
  • the operation of the controller is fantastic, really impressive with all the feedbacks and trigger tensions.

diarm

Not only a dick move, it's goes against what they explicitly said last year:

"Sony Explicitly Said A PS5 ‘Horizon Forbidden West’ Upgrade Would Be Free" https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...n-west-upgrade-would-be-free/?sh=60c9ab7d9306

They're going to have to back down over this surely.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Massive Spanner

Was always going to happen but it's cost them a lot of good faith.

A bit confusing though, if it's a free upgrade from the PS4 version, why purchase the PS5 version at all, unless they'll now be the same price?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Was always going to happen but it's cost them a lot of good faith.

A bit confusing though, if it's a free upgrade from the PS4 version, why purchase the PS5 version at all, unless they'll now be the same price?
I think that second point is the reason why they initially made that decision.

Apparently going forward it will always be a tenner to upgrade to full ps5 version which makes sense if the game is a tenner cheaper.

Alock1

Good. Thought they would reverse it.

Shame other games will still have a £10 upgrade path but much better than being locked out or forced to buy 2 copies (if you don't plan up front) or a premium edition.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I often wonder if they do shit like this just to say "see, we do listen to our fans". Because to be so quick to change your mind on this (which is obviously a great thing!) begs the question why the hell do it in the first place, if you're not going to stick with it when you receive any sort of pushback. Anyway, nice to see it's going to be free and I don't think the £10 upgrade for future titles is that bad.

Massive Spanner

I often wonder if they do shit like this just to say "see, we do listen to our fans". Because to be so quick to change your mind on this (which is obviously a great thing!) begs the question why the hell do it in the first place, if you're not going to stick with it when you receive any sort of pushback. Anyway, nice to see it's going to be free and I don't think the £10 upgrade for future titles is that bad.
More that Sony provably live in their own little bubble where they think fans are so loyal that they will lap this shit up.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
More that Sony provably live in their own little bubble where they think fans are so loyal that they will lap this shit up.
Yeah, that's once or twice this year now they've backtracked on things they said. Again, that's obviously great, but some of them (like this one) you just think why? To be fair, they're not the only company to try and push things and get away with it. Offering it for free, then making it clear that future titles will be met with a £10 upgrade charge I think is fair.