Gaming PlayStation 5

Ainu

It's interesting to see people hyped for PSVR2. PSVR1 had about 5 fans on the whole of the caf and any time I used to bring it up it was either crickets, or some melt telling me how VR was dead or dying repeatedly....

It's a good thing @Solius...
I initially loved it when I got stuff like Rez Infinite, Resi Evil 7, Dirt Rally VR, Astro Bot and Beat Saber, but I sort of lost interest after a while. Too much of a hassle to set up, I guess. The simple, one-cable setup of PSVR2 should remedy that to a certain extent, though I'm still a little disappointed at no wireless.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
They’d need to adjust the controls for older games. I tried playing MGS2 again once and the controls sucked arse.
Oh man going back to the old MGS games are hilariously difficult, can't believe I tolerated it at the time in hindsight.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I initially loved it when I got stuff like Rez Infinite, Resi Evil 7, Dirt Rally VR, Astro Bot and Beat Saber, but I sort of lost interest after a while. Too much of a hassle to set up, I guess. The simple, one-cable setup of PSVR2 should remedy that to a certain extent, though I'm still a little disappointed at no wireless.
Yeah I barely play mine now, not so much due to the setup because mine has always been setup so it's pretty much plug and play. I'm just ready for the next generation of PSVR now, better graphics, more polished games, lighter potentially more comfortable headset. The only things that get me to load up PSVR1 now is if the kids want a go or I want to do some cardio, also Song in the Smoke intices me in from time to time.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Yeah I barely play mine now, not so much due to the setup because mine has always been setup so it's pretty much plug and play. I'm just ready for the next generation of PSVR now, better graphics, more polished games, lighter potentially more comfortable headset. The only things that get me to load up PSVR1 now is if the kids want a go or I want to do some cardio, also Song in the Smoke intices me in from time to time.
I've got an Oculus as well which I much prefer but the psvr still gets an outing for Wipeout.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The right trigger on one of my controllers has lost all resistance. I’m guessing it needs to be repaired?

Anyone know the phone number I need to call? I can’t find it anywhere and the website just sends me in a fecking loop cause apparently my controller serial number is not recognised.

AaronRedDevil

The right trigger on one of my controllers has lost all resistance. I’m guessing it needs to be repaired?

Anyone know the phone number I need to call? I can’t find it anywhere and the website just sends me in a fecking loop cause apparently my controller serial number is not recognised.
I think GameStop does controller repairs.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Buy a new one from Argos. Switch the controllers. Return and refund.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Did you ever play the Apollo 11 VR game / experience? That was one of my favourite VR experiences. Very cool even if your own input was minimal. I hope to be able to play that again on PSVR2

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Did you ever play the Apollo 11 VR game / experience? That was one of my favourite VR experiences. Very cool even if your own input was minimal. I hope to be able to play that again on PSVR2
I didn't get around to it but I wanted it, I'll keep an eye out for a sale on it.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Here is my review of Spiderman (remastered)

It was mostly a dam good time!

The one thing Insomniac needed to nail - the swinging through the city, was the one thing that they hit a home run with.

The traversal through the city reminded me in some ways of another Insomniac game - Sunset Overdrive. Like that game, this one took a little while for me to warm to and get to grips with the movement.

I'm not a comic book guy but the story was engaging enough to keep me interested all the way through. Apart from Aunt May dying it was very predictable fare, though.

The combat was serviceable. I liked that they tried to encourage you to fight in the air. That's another Sunset Overdrive similarity. The combat was clearly inspired by the Batman games, but by and large, I thought that it was outclassed by them. One issue big issue I had with the combat was the suit powers. There were plenty of options to use but I just found myself using the 'more focus' power all the time. It seemed OP.

Speaking of suits there is a ridiculous amount to unlock. Some of them are great looking too.

I found the game to be on the easy side, which is saying a lot because I'm bad at games.

Also, the game definitely has too much going on. One of those games with a million things to do but little outside of the main story was interesting to me. I'll be interested if they fixed this with Miles Morales.

The remastered version on PS5 looks great and plays at a solid 60.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with this, flaws and all. If I'm bored enough, I might even go for the platinum trophy.

8/10

Last edited:
Reactions: Damien

Volumiza

I didn't get around to it but I wanted it, I'll keep an eye out for a sale on it.
It’s not 100% perfectly executed but as someone who loves space and space travel, boarding the rocket with Buzz and Neil and looking around the cabin and out of the windows during launch was as close as I’ll get to the real thing :)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

The one thing Insomniac needed to nail - the swinging through the city, was the one thing that they hit a home run with.

The traversal through the city reminded me in some ways of another Insomniac game - Sunset Overdrive. Like that game, this one took a little while for me to warm to and get to grips with the movement.

I'm not a comic book guy but the story was engaging enough to keep me interested all the way through. Apart from Aunt May dying it was very predictable fare, though.

The combat was serviceable. I liked that they tried to encourage you to fight in the air. That's another Sunset Overdrive similarity. The combat was clearly inspired by the Batman games, but by and large, I thought that it was outclassed by them. One issue big issue I had with the combat was the suit powers. There were plenty of options to use but I just found myself using the 'more focus' power all the time. It seemed OP.

Speaking of suits there is a ridiculous amount to unlock. Some of them are great looking too.

I found the game to be on the easy side, which is saying a lot because I'm bad at games.

Also, the game definitely has too much going on. One of those games with a million things to do but little outside of the main story was interesting to me. I'll be interested if they fixed this with Miles Morales.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with this, flaws and all. If I'm bored enough, I might even go for the platinum trophy.

8/10
Good review, glad you enjoyed it. It’s a pretty easy platinum so could be worth going for if you can be bothered. Miles is definitely more of the same but with some fun refinement in certain areas. The combat for example is more fun in Miles.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

8/10
They do. It's a shorter game, and much more focused. There's less padding and those dumb puzzles are gone. I think it may be the better game, actually.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
They do. It's a shorter game, and much more focused. There's less padding and those dumb puzzles are gone. I think it may be the better game, actually.
In some ways yes, but the story overall was far less engaging to me than the original. Miles lacks the charm of Peter for me.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Remember when I posted about how stupid it is to buy the digital PS5 and not get the disc one. Well, I'm stupid because that's what I did and now I regret not having a disc :(

I want to get Miles Morales but the digital price is a joke compared to the used disc version.

In the future, I should listen to myself. I give good advice.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Remember when I posted about how stupid it is to buy the digital PS5 and not get the disc one. Well, I'm stupid because that's what I did and now I regret not having a disc :(

I want to get Miles Morales but the digital price is a joke compared to the used disc version.

I bought the disc version but I almost never get physical games because I can't be arsed to go into town.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.

MM is going to be included in the new PS plus premium membership. You'll also get returnal and a whole bunch of other games. Just need to wait a couple of months and pay the £45 upgrade fee.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
MM is going to be included in the new PS plus premium membership. You'll also get returnal and a whole bunch of other games. Just need to wait a couple of months and pay the £45 upgrade fee.
They'll be on the Extra tier which doesn't cost as much as Premium. Premium is for PS3 and earlier.

I bought the disc version but I almost never get physical games because I can't be arsed to go into town.
Same.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I like discs because not only do they tend to be cheaper, especially if you wait, but I can then sell them on when finished. It's very seldom would I ever play through a story driven game more than once.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
That's a good point, I forgot that the new streaming thing is coming. Hopefully, it shows up there.

Damien

Staff
That's a good point, I forgot that the new streaming thing is coming. Hopefully, it shows up there.
It will.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...0-games-and-more-value-than-ever/#sf255029422

At launch, we plan to include titles such as Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal.
Just not clear what version it will be. Will be pleasantly surprised if it is the PS5 version.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I thought it was already confirmed it'd be the PS5 version, and it'll be downloadable - not just streamable, right?

Would be surprised if it wasn't.

Damien

Staff
I thought it was already confirmed it'd be the PS5 version, and it'll be downloadable - not just streamable, right?

Would be surprised if it wasn't.
Extra tier = downloadable only
Premium tier = downloadable and streamable (streamable only for PS4 games and earlier)

Not heard it confirmed it is the PS5 version but there'll definitely be some PS5 games on there given Returnal is only available there.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Unless I missed it, they still haven't confirmed what PS1/PS2/PSP games will be available on the highest tier yet, have they? Which seems a bit bizarre. Difficult to assess the value of this service without that vital piece information.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Streaming has been hit and miss when I've tried it on Xbox. I would not want to play a game I'm really excited about that way.

AaronRedDevil

Platinum Shadow of War. 35th Platinum! Fecking brilliant game. By god it was grindy though for the end of it. Ironically I'm Now onto Shadow of the Colossus. Finish it this time.

Volumiza

Got Trek to Yomi today. The combat is a bit limited so far but the visuals and atmosphere are brilliant. A much better delivered samurai story than GOT.

Irwin99

Unless I missed it, they still haven't confirmed what PS1/PS2/PSP games will be available on the highest tier yet, have they? Which seems a bit bizarre. Difficult to assess the value of this service without that vital piece information.
I'm excited about what could happen but I hope they're actually the games I want to replay. Apparently these 5 have been leaked:

• Tekken 2 – PS1
  • Mr Driller – PS1
  • Worms World Party – PS1
  • Worms Armageddon – PS1
  • Ridge Racers 2 – PSP
Tekken 2 is really all that takes my fancy there but i'm sure there'll be lots of classics revealed eventually.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
£27 to fix my controller apparently. Even though it's only the R2 button that's lost a bit of resistance. I'm sure it's just a spring that needs adjusting but I don't know enough to do it myself.

b82REZ

£27 to fix my controller apparently. Even though it's only the R2 button that's lost a bit of resistance. I'm sure it's just a spring that needs adjusting but I don't know enough to do it myself.
Happened to me. Bought one from a shop, put my broken one in the box and returned it to the shop saying it was faulty.