Gaming PlayStation 5

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m just playing through Days Gone, I was put off by its average reviews when it was out on PS4 but I just downloaded it off PS+ collection for my ps5 and what an underrated and under appreciated game it is.

I’m probably about 25-30 hours in now and its given me some very tense and memorable moments and that’s all I can ask for in a game. Nothing scarier than Horde chasing you down when you least expect it.
Yeh, it's a highly underrated game. I completed it over two separate periods after putting it down and picking it back up again later, but the second half of the game was brilliant. I felt the story really stepped up and I was genuinely intrigued. I ended up getting the Platinum which is rare for me, but I just couldn't get enough of the end-game hordes. For me, the biggest weakness in the whole game was the overall character work though. Some of the dialogue was downright bizarre, I just felt they would never have said what they said/how they said it. Still very good overall though.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I’m just playing through Days Gone, I was put off by its average reviews when it was out on PS4 but I just downloaded it off PS+ collection for my ps5 and what an underrated and under appreciated game it is.

I’m probably about 25-30 hours in now and its given me some very tense and memorable moments and that’s all I can ask for in a game. Nothing scarier than Horde chasing you down when you least expect it.
From what I heard, it got review bombed because of some scene reviewers thought was sexist. I've only heard good things about it from gamers.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
From what I heard, it got review bombed because of some scene reviewers thought was sexist. I've only heard good things about it from gamers.
I wouldn't go that far. There are a lot of legit issues with the game. It was very buggy at launch and ran like absolute shit on the base PS4. The story is quite dull and Deacon isn't a very good main character. The open world is huge but quite samey and there are a lot of the usual open world fetch quests and boring extras.

Best things about it are the motor bike riding which is great fun, the combat which is well done and especially the hordes which are absolutely incredible, but you can't really do much with them til much later in the game.

It's one of those that probably was under appreciated but not to the extent where a lot of the problems with it weren't actually legit.

TrustInJanuzaj

I wouldn't go that far. There are a lot of legit issues with the game. It was very buggy at launch and ran like absolute shit on the base PS4. The story is quite dull and Deacon isn't a very good main character. The open world is huge but quite samey and there are a lot of the usual open world fetch quests and boring extras.

Best things about it are the motor bike riding which is great fun, the combat which is well done and especially the hordes which are absolutely incredible, but you can't really do much with them til much later in the game.

It's one of those that probably was under appreciated but not to the extent where a lot of the problems with it weren't actually legit.
Don't really agree with that. The second half of the campaign is actually very good, it's a pretty good story overall! There are certainly large corners of the internet (cough Reddit) where it gets loads of appreciation for what they tried to do. The biggest shame is that Sony has said they won't make a second which is such a massive waste. I know I've said this before but it craps on Ghost of Tsushima for me and that didn't get anywhere near the same criticisms despite being a story completely devoid of anything.

Edit; Agreed with the other points. It didn't run great to begin with (it's absolutely great on PS5 though). At times it does suffer from the common open world tropes but at least personally I found the scavenging/bike system fun and the hordes always meant there was an element of trepidation other open world games can't achieve. I was really hoping a sequel would iron out the characters a little better, flesh out the story (seriously it was just getting really interesting...) and build on the survival elements to make them even more intrinsic to the world.

Massive Spanner

Don't really agree with that. The second half of the campaign is actually very good, it's a pretty good story overall! There are certainly large corners of the internet (cough Reddit) where it gets loads of appreciation for what they tried to do. The biggest shame is that Sony has said they won't make a second which is such a massive waste. I know I've said this before but it craps on Ghost of Tsushima for me and that didn't get anywhere near the same criticisms despite being a story completely devoid of anything.

Edit; Agreed with the other points. It didn't run great to begin with (it's absolutely great on PS5 though). At times it does suffer from the common open world tropes but at least personally I found the scavenging/bike system fun and the hordes always meant there was an element of trepidation other open world games can't achieve. I was really hoping a sequel would iron out the characters a little better, flesh out the story (seriously it was just getting really interesting...) and build on the survival elements to make them even more intrinsic to the world.
That's kinda the problem, though. The second half of the story being good in a 50-60 hour game is a bad thing.

I enjoyed Days Gone (despite the awful frame rate issues on my ps4 at the time) and definitely came out of it surprised by the low review scores but I wouldn't call it a great game at all. It was a decent 7/10 "I'm happy I played this" romp, overall.

I agree that a sequel could've been great if they were allowed to make one.

Balljy

Agree with the bolded. For me, it's one of the best games I've played on my PS5 so far and was way better than Tsushima. I think I'd only rate Spiderman above it so far personally. I enjoyed the story a lot, and liked the fact it was slow paced as it felt more credible and wasn't hitting you in the face with plot twists every 30 minutes or so.

The end story scene was a great introduction to a sequel, and I won't be that surprised if Sony reverse their decision eventually as it seems to be one of those cult games which is getting more popularity as time goes on so they may jump on it eventually.

b82REZ

GoT's art direction and excellent combat elevated it above Days Gone, which was as paint by numbers as they come for an OW game.

The fact Deacon is a bigger charisma vacuum than Jin is an even bigger indictment on the average-ness of Days Gone.

TrustInJanuzaj

Agree with the bolded. For me, it's one of the best games I've played on my PS5 so far and was way better than Tsushima. I think I'd only rate Spiderman above it so far personally. I enjoyed the story a lot, and liked the fact it was slow paced as it felt more credible and wasn't hitting you in the face with plot twists every 30 minutes or so.

The end story scene was a great introduction to a sequel, and I won't be that surprised if Sony reverse their decision eventually as it seems to be one of those cult games which is getting more popularity as time goes on so they may jump on it eventually.
Yeh really hope you’re right. Agreed with your overall assessment too. Really surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

TrustInJanuzaj

GoT's art direction and excellent combat elevated it above Days Gone, which was as paint by numbers as they come for an OW game.

The fact Deacon is a bigger charisma vacuum than Jin is an even bigger indictment on the average-ness of Days Gone.
Nah he wasn’t the best character ever but still levels above Jin (wouldn’t have even been able to tell you his name!). I think I always had a soft spot for him too because it felt like I was role-playing Daryl from the Walking Dead. Deacon was also helped by some interesting characters like Boozer and Sarah and they had some cool chemistry . Again couldn’t even name one character in Ghost of Tsushima.

Ainu

Days Gone isn't a bad game but some of the posts on this last page are giving it way too much praise. Even when played on a PS5, it's a pretty janky experience. The whole things doesn't feel like a Sony studio game, it lacks that typical polish and solidness I've come to expect. The gameplay is painfully average until pretty much the end/post-game, when you're going up against the larger hordes (mostly optional).

Narrative and characters were all over the place, the world design was decent but ultimately fairly dull both from an artistic and technical point of view. Honestly, in all those categories I'm not sure I'd rate it above 2015's Mad Max, to give an example. Competent but unspectacular, a routine 6-7/10 game.

As for being better than Ghost of Tsushima, I just don't see it. Both have similar flaws in many areas but at least GoT lacked the bugs/jank, had a more interesting visual style and has combat that is leagues beyond anything Days Gone offers. Even so, I wouldn't necessarily rate GoT any higher than "pretty good" either.

Massive Spanner

Days Gone isn't a bad game but some of the posts on this last page are giving it way too much praise. Even when played on a PS5, it's a pretty janky experience. The whole things doesn't feel like a Sony studio game, it lacks that typical polish and solidness I've come to expect. The gameplay is painfully average until pretty much the end/post-game, when you're going up against the larger hordes (mostly optional).

Narrative and characters were all over the place, the world design was decent but ultimately fairly dull both from an artistic and technical point of view. Honestly, in all those categories I'm not sure I'd rate it above 2015's Mad Max, to give an example. Competent but unspectacular, a routine 6-7/10 game.

As for being better than Ghost of Tsushima, I just don't see it. Both have similar flaws in many areas but at least GoT lacked the bugs/jank, had a more interesting visual style and has combat that is leagues beyond anything Days Gone offers. Even so, I wouldn't necessarily rate GoT any higher than "pretty good" either.
Think you've nailed it with both games there and that's probably how I'd summarise them too. GoT was easily the better game of the two for me also whilst also being entirely unspectacular.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Played Days Gone for about 7-8 hours and deleted it. Seemed like yet another generic, open-world game. The story wasn't compelling, the main character was completely forgettable and dull, and it just seemed like something I've either seen or played before. I played it after all the technical issues were fixed, so it did run really smooth. The gameplay was ok, actually. I didn't like having to constantly fill up my bike, but the melee combat was decent.

But yeah, just a completely forgettable experience.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Damn that Ape Escape list is super lenient. You don't even have to beat the game :lol:
Never played Ape Escape myself but if this is true:
A total of 204 monkeys can be caught. Of these 204 monkeys, 115 wear yellow pants, 33 wear light blue pants, 11 wear black pants, 7 wear blue pants, 7 wear green pants, 21 wear white pants and 10 wear red pants. Only 102 monkeys total are required to catch in order to beat the game.
Then catching 100 monkeys isn't that far off beating the game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm loving GoT so far. I actually played it a bit on PS4, but lost interest. The acting is wooden as feck, but I like the story and atmosphere.

Also the non existent load times are a godsend. Instant fast travel, love it.

b82REZ

I'm loving GoT so far. I actually played it a bit on PS4, but lost interest. The acting is wooden as feck, but I like the story and atmosphere.

Also the non existent load times are a godsend. Instant fast travel, love it.
For me the shit acting actually elevated it. Made it feel more like an old Kung Fu movie.

Totally get why it puts a lot of people off though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
For me the shit acting actually elevated it. Made it feel more like an old Kung Fu movie.

Totally get why it puts a lot of people off though.
I don't really mind it. The subdued attitudes also seem a bit like a good fit for the culture. Though a tiny bit of emotion wouldn't be bad.

The combat is just so fecking amazing. Game really makes me feel like I did when watching kung fu movies with my mates as a kid and then proceed to practice all the moves on each other.

Raw

Never played Ape Escape myself but if this is true:

Then catching 100 monkeys isn't that far off beating the game.
Yeah I think that's about right. It's an easy enough game, just surprised there isn't even one to actually complete the game let alone getting 100%!

Irwin99

Have seen the unfinished list for the PS Premium that's launched in some parts of Asia and there are a few games that i wouldn't mind playing but it's still a bit underwhelming.

I wonder if many third party developers are going to be that interested in bringing back their classics for the service?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Yeah, a fantastic game. Preferred it to Last of Us myself, very underrated. It's a good game to aim for the platinum trophy as not that difficult.
yeah I’m enjoying it that much I think I will go plat it. There’s nothing else out I’m interested in so I’ve got time to kill on this

Yeh, it's a highly underrated game. I completed it over two separate periods after putting it down and picking it back up again later, but the second half of the game was brilliant. I felt the story really stepped up and I was genuinely intrigued. I ended up getting the Platinum which is rare for me, but I just couldn't get enough of the end-game hordes. For me, the biggest weakness in the whole game was the overall character work though. Some of the dialogue was downright bizarre, I just felt they would never have said what they said/how they said it. Still very good overall though.

I think the voice acting is done quite well although I have noticed Deek does seem a little socially awkward or shy the way he says things but I think it’s done that way on purpose as that’s just his character. I agree the story is slow to start but once it gets going it’s got me hooked.

Damien

Staff
Have seen the unfinished list for the PS Premium that's launched in some parts of Asia and there are a few games that i wouldn't mind playing but it's still a bit underwhelming.

I wonder if many third party developers are going to be that interested in bringing back their classics for the service?
They don't have PS Premium - it will be the Deluxe service so doesn't have the PS3 games which makes up a good few hundred.

Microsoft buying up large publishers means that a lot of games that have had a strong association with PlayStation won't make an appearance.

Irwin99

They don't have PS Premium - it will be the Deluxe service so doesn't have the PS3 games which makes up a good few hundred.

Microsoft buying up large publishers means that a lot of games that have had a strong association with PlayStation won't make an appearance.
Ah, my bad!

To be honest a lot of the games I wouldn't mind replaying are from companies like Capcom, Square Enix, and Konami which, as far as i know, still have a good relationship with Sony. Maybe there's hope yet? :D Would love trophy support for some of those game too.

Balljy

I'm a bit surprised that Sony weren't in for the parts of Square Enix that were sold off. For $300 million, the Tomb Raider and Deus Ex IP's amongst others would have filled out the catalogue of games, plus the types of games fit quite well with the Sony's style of gameplay.

It's possible that Square selling off the western studios is an attempt to make their Japanese studios on their own more of an attractive buy for Sony though.

Raw

So there's some news coming out that apparently if you bought your current PS+ subscription at a discount, you'll have to make up for that discount if you upgrade to the upper tiers. This is according to the Asian subscribers who've had access to it.

And if you stacked subscriptions, you'll have to pay for the upgrade for the entire length of your subscription. Eg if you bought enough to last 10 years, you're gonna have to pay 10 years worth if you upgrade.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
So there's some news coming out that apparently if you bought your current PS+ subscription at a discount, you'll have to make up for that discount if you upgrade to the upper tiers. This is according to the Asian subscribers who've had access to it.

And if you stacked subscriptions, you'll have to pay for the upgrade for the entire length of your subscription. Eg if you bought enough to last 10 years, you're gonna have to pay 10 years worth if you upgrade.
If true sounds typical of Sony, and the sort of thing they will probably backtrack on if pushed.

Ainu

I'm a bit surprised that Sony weren't in for the parts of Square Enix that were sold off. For $300 million, the Tomb Raider and Deus Ex IP's amongst others would have filled out the catalogue of games, plus the types of games fit quite well with the Sony's style of gameplay.

It's possible that Square selling off the western studios is an attempt to make their Japanese studios on their own more of an attractive buy for Sony though.
It can only be considered a good thing for the entire industry that those studios didn't end up in either Sony's or MS's hands. We really don't need more classic IPs becoming console exclusives.

Balljy

It can only be considered a good thing for the entire industry that those studios didn't end up in either Sony's or MS's hands. We really don't need more classic IPs becoming console exclusives.
Yeah, I agree with that. I'm just a bit surprised as compared to the other deals recently it seems a bit of a bargain price for the IP's that were bought.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
In regards to Sony fecking up the pricing on PS Plus upgrades in Asia, was just reading this as well:

To make matters worse, unfathomably, the Japanese giant is wiping out historical discounts on subscriptions purchased through the PS Store. So, if, for example, you bought your membership while it was on sale and then choose to upgrade, it’ll bump up the price difference to erode the savings you originally earned. This basically means that it’s retroactively eliminating any deals it may have offered on subscriptions in the past – unthinkable, really.
I mean, this is peak Sony, really. Generally speaking, those who stack their subscriptions for years are going to be your most loyal customers. The feck are they thinking if all this is true. There's going to be a shitstorm coming their way if this is true when it comes to America and Europe.

Bosws87

In regards to Sony fecking up the pricing on PS Plus upgrades in Asia, was just reading this as well:

I mean, this is peak Sony, really. Generally speaking, those who stack their subscriptions for years are going to be your most loyal customers. The feck are they thinking if all this is true. There's going to be a shitstorm coming their way if this is true when it comes to America and Europe.
Be the exact same thing as they have all tried, change their mind once everyone kicks up a fuss all the companies are at it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Picked up Guardians of the Galaxy for £25 at CEX. It's actually pretty decent and good fun. A game like this could've easily been a by the numbers piece of crap but there was some care put into this.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Be the exact same thing as they have all tried, change their mind once everyone kicks up a fuss all the companies are at it.
And then make themselves appear like they're the good guys after all. Classic maneuver.

Damien

Staff
Picked up Guardians of the Galaxy for £25 at CEX. It's actually pretty decent and good fun. A game like this could've easily been a by the numbers piece of crap but there was some care put into this.
Heard good things about it. Looking forward to playing it on the 23rd June.

Massive Spanner

Ah. Prob not the version I'll have. Plus I can sell it back to CEX once I'm done for £11. Spending £14 overall on it seems a fair price.
Yeah it's a cool game and a lot of fun, I'm glad I took the risk and paid £0 for it on Gamepass.

Irwin99

Dino Crisis 1 apparently being added to the PS premium; now that's more like it. Thanks Capcom :D