Gaming PlayStation 5

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
On a bit of a surprise retro trip and found myself playing R-Type 2 off PS+. It's a bloody brilliant blast of old skool side scrolling shooting for someone my age who remembers all the great side scroller arcade machines, including the OG R-Type. Wonderful!

A nod and wink to simpler times.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
On a bit of a surprise retro trip and found myself playing R-Type 2 off PS+. It's a bloody brilliant blast of old skool side scrolling shooting for someone my age who remembers all the great side scroller arcade machines, including the OG R-Type. Wonderful!

I had a few goes on Raiden which I stumbled across last week. Took me back!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They can move to Egyptian or some other source material when they run out of Norse mythology to copy everything from, while re-skinning everything as usual. :wenger:
I'd expect that more from Silksong :p

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

I was also playing this last week. Its hard as nails. I managed to finish it on easy but it had me ready to break the controller

Did you mean in your post the original R-Type is also playable?

amolbhatia50k

I hated Valhalla for the first 15 hours, hated the combat, wasn't engaged by the story or anything. Ended up completing it, it's quite amazing to storm around when you open more of the map up and are in England. Got some proper class locations you goto, an abbey on the eastern coast was :drool:
That's basically my reason for playing. Let's see how it goes. I got tired of Odyesse fast.

Reditus

the game selection for the new Ps+ is very impressive, except for me who has already purchased and played the vast majority of the big ones. Really am kicking myself now

I am going to be far more reluctant to purchase games going forward. Just requires patience and they should eventually arrvive on the sevice

Need to avoid TLOU remake for starters...

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Bought a year of premium, so I downloaded Guardians of The Galaxy and am streaming Until Dawn, enjoying the latter so far although it's your typical American jumpscare horror.

amolbhatia50k

It can have 40 less boss battles as compared to HK and it will still be more than the number of boss battles we will get in 'cut-scenes of war'
Yes because gaming = boss battles and no cut scenes

amolbhatia50k

the game selection for the new Ps+ is very impressive, except for me who has already purchased and played the vast majority of the big ones. Really am kicking myself now

I am going to be far more reluctant to purchase games going forward. Just requires patience and they should eventually arrvive on the sevice

Need to avoid TLOU remake for starters...
Try out some of the indies. There's some really good stuff.

Reditus

Try out some of the indies. There's some really good stuff.
thats exactly what I ve been doing. Just played Matterfall and now onto Dead Cells

But I have played most popular indies from last few years so even that list is not too long for me

amolbhatia50k

I think i might agree with that :lol:
Fair enough. I like all kinds of games though. Cinematic games like MGS3, God of War etc have their place among the gaming greats.

Well, gaming = playing and not watching, yeah.
The medium has progressed beyond that simplicity. But everyone has their preference which is fine.

amolbhatia50k

thats exactly what I ve been doing. Just played Matterfall and now onto Dead Cells

But I have played most popular indies from last few years so even that list is not too long for me
Dead Cells is on my list. But I'm putting it off due to it being Rogue lite and really hard

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Well, gaming = playing and not watching, yeah.
For someone who didn’t like GOW that much I’ve never seen anyone speak more about it haha. Guessing you just take issue with the fact most people love it?

caid

Fair enough. I like all kinds of games though. Cinematic games like MGS3, God of War etc have their place among the gaming greats.

The medium has progressed beyond that simplicity. But everyone has their preference which is fine.
Yeah so do I. I'm happy enough pottering around a walking simulator. Something about boss battles feels like a very pure, distilled version of gaming to me though. I really cant imagine playing God of War or Metal Gear again without skipping all the cutscenes. If a game resorts to cutscenes I'm going to roll my eyes a bit in general. I feel like Metal Gear 4 in particular should have killed cutscenes as a story telling method. I just think games like dark souls, shadow of the collosus and so on have kind of shown theres much better ways of delivering a story and a world than endless cutscenes. I felt like the contrast between Metal Gear 4 and Shadow of the Collosus which came out a similar time was so stark, so clear that it should have been obvious that ... I dont know, sitting through a movie isn't as engaging as playing a game. You have lots of games which kind of cheat a bit and limit your movement down a few corridors while you talk to someone and they explain the world to you. Last of Us for instance but i feel its a step towards something closer to From Software. Which dont get me wrong, they have and use cutscenes and aren't perfect by any means but they tell you the story via the world and the environment and the architecture. And their bosses!
You learn more about most of the characters in the game via the boss fights and the items they drop than anything someone spells out to you in a cutscene. Rykard harping on about how he's going to eat you in Elden Ring during the fight kind of felt like a perfect encapsulation of who he is.
I loved Metal Gear and I think the 4th might be my favourite of them despite the cutscenes. But i think its a relic, a part of gaming's simplistic past where they tried to copy movies and lost something on the way.

Moby

Dick

As a dev I'd really love you as a user, saves me so much effort that I'd have to otherwise put. :)

For someone who didn’t like GOW that much I’ve never seen anyone speak more about it haha. Guessing you just take issue with the fact most people love it?
Not sure who told you that, I platinumed it and have likely spent more time playing it than most of you guys, doesn't mean we are not allowed to talk about what would have made it a lot better.

I spent a load of time fighting the valks which some of it's biggest fans here like the bloke above didn't even bother with but take the optional content out and the main story is utterly meh with one of the most underwhelming endings for a game rated so highly. So yeah, I take a lot of issue with the devs who didn't build on the promise that the game initially showed.

TrustInJanuzaj

As a dev I'd really love you as a user, saves me so much effort that I'd have to otherwise put. :)

Not sure who told you that, I platinumed it and have likely spent more time playing it than most of you guys, doesn't mean we are not allowed to talk about what would have made it a lot better.

I spent a load of time fighting the valks which some of it's biggest fans here like the bloke above didn't even bother with but take the optional content out and the main story is utterly meh with one of the most underwhelming endings for a game rated so highly. So yeah, I take a lot of issue with the devs who didn't build on the promise that the game initially showed.
As someone who came into GOW having never played the previous games, knowing nothing about the lore or world and basically nothing about the gameplay, I was genuinely shocked how much I enjoyed it. That to me was almost its biggest selling point. I pick up so many games and drop them quickly. GOW just had a way of keeping me hooked. To be fair I don’t remember the ending much so I guess that’s a fair criticism but I think at the end of the day they just combined exceptional cinematography and gameplay in a way very few games can match even now. I reckon that’s why it’s so highly rated. I’ve done everything I can to get into the souls games (including Elden Ring) and I just cannot get them to work for me. Not enough story, not enough structure. I wouldn’t want them to sacrifice the cinematic elements of GOW just to put in more challenging bosses.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
As someone who came into GOW having never played the previous games, knowing nothing about the lore or world and basically nothing about the gameplay, I was genuinely shocked how much I enjoyed it. That to me was almost its biggest selling point. I pick up so many games and drop them quickly. GOW just had a way of keeping me hooked. To be fair I don’t remember the ending much so I guess that’s a fair criticism but I think at the end of the day they just combined exceptional cinematography and gameplay in a way very few games can match even now. I reckon that’s why it’s so highly rated. I’ve done everything I can to get into the souls games (including Elden Ring) and I just cannot get them to work for me. Not enough story, not enough structure. I wouldn’t want them to sacrifice the cinematic elements of GOW just to put in more challenging bosses.
Agree with this, never played GOW but fell in love with it quickly.

amolbhatia50k

You'd be breaking yourself trying to make a game that both plays well and has a great / engrossing narrative. Would probably need more than 2-3 people mind you.

I usually find myself champion gameplay experiences (for example when speaking to my brother who needs a 'proper' story). I'd say two of my favourite three games are mostly all about gameplay experiences with one (Witcher 3) being more of a mix of the two. But I have an appreciation for both sides.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
You'd be breaking yourself trying to make a game that both plays well and has a great / engrossing narrative. Would probably need more than 2-3 people mind you.

I usually find myself champion gameplay experiences (for example when speaking to my brother who needs a 'proper' story). I'd say two of my favourite three games are mostly all about gameplay experiences with one (Witcher 3) being more of a mix of the two. But I have an appreciation for both sides.
Moby hasn't completed that either :lol:

caid

You mean not spoonfeeding the story to the viewer. GoW story doesn't come anywhere near the best FS stories.
Yeah i wouldn't be too complimentary either. The first hour was strong, it immediately reverts to the silly, pulpy, adolescent nonsense of the previous games with cartoon villains. Atrius and Kratos relationship was strong and interesting, it just felt out of place and disconnected from the rest of the game.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Ha, yeah, same, one of those time machine games.

Just playing R type now, rock hard and I’m on a fairly gentle difficulty setting too :lol:

Sh*t getting old!

Moby

Dick
You'd be breaking yourself trying to make a game that both plays well and has a great / engrossing narrative. Would probably need more than 2-3 people mind you
Sorry but I don't think you are estimating the Dev effort correctly there, compared to a bunch of other similarly rated games.

Moby

Dick
Yeah i wouldn't be too complimentary either. The first hour was strong, it immediately reverts to the silly, pulpy, adolescent nonsense of the previous games with cartoon villains. Atrius and Kratos relationship was strong and interesting, it just felt out of place and disconnected from the rest of the game.
I wouldn't mind it if it had actual gaming content to at least complement it. The cheesiness arrives when you add it to fill up the hole that has been left open due to the lack of actual content. There's a bunch of games that have huge dialogues and cut scenes but it isn't an issue because the game doesn't end there.

But as you can see it's enough to deceive most users. I've actually seen people complain about loading screens in others games but not having loading screens in GoW. :lol: As I said, we really love these users.

Ainu

I wouldn't mind it if it had actual gaming content to at least complement it. The cheesiness arrives when you add it to fill up the hole that has been left open due to the lack of actual content. There's a bunch of games that have huge dialogues and cut scenes but it isn't an issue because the game doesn't end there.

But as you can see it's enough to deceive most users. I've actually seen people complain about loading screens in others games but not having loading screens in GoW. :lol: As I said, we really love these users.
I think you're taking it a bit too far saying there's a lack of actual content. There's a legitimate criticism to be made about lacking enemy variety and certainly a lack of memorable boss fights, but the content itself is fine. It's a lengthy title with loads of interesting areas.

Meanwhile, I don't remember the amount and frequency of cutscenes being an issue. It's been a while since I've played it, so I'm not sure, but it didn't stand out to me. It clearly took a more cinematic approach than the previous titles, but nothing excessive. It still felt like a game with a strong combat gameplay foundation first and narrative focus second. It was never going to stack up to FromSoft titles in the gameplay department though.

Moby

Dick
I think you're taking it a bit too far saying there's a lack of actual content. There's a legitimate criticism to be made about lacking enemy variety and certainly a lack of memorable boss fights, but the content itself is fine. It's a lengthy title with loads of interesting areas.

Meanwhile, I don't remember the amount and frequency of cutscenes being an issue. It's been a while since I've played it, so I'm not sure, but it didn't stand out to me. It clearly took a more cinematic approach than the previous titles, but nothing excessive. It still felt like a game with a strong combat gameplay foundation first and narrative focus second. It was never going to stack up to FromSoft titles in the gameplay department though.
As I said previously I had no issue in having cut scenes if it progressed the gameplay/enemies/areas similarly but it was the fact that it was what we were left with to remember after a certain point - quite initially - in the game with the rest being more of the same.

It's pretty lengthy for a plat, but for the main story (which excludes Nilf/Muspel) I'm not that sure. Also not sure about it having loads of interesting areas. Nilf and Muspel were basically challenge modes (one is enemy volume, other is time limit), they didn't add anything either to the main story or any particular mechanic. Muspel in particular was like it was designed in around 5 minutes.

If I really think about it from an architect's viewpoint, it feels like they overspent time on the earlier areas and their depth and as the game went on, the depth kept going down and down and that ended with Jotenheim which was basically an empty area. :lol: It's pretty much why I feel really strongly about this because the amount of time spent on building such a brilliant foundation took a lot away from finishing it. As I've said before, if they do the next one and hopefully another one after that in a full-fledged manner - which is saying what they set out for - then people won't have any issue with this and consider this more of a preview to a couple of sequels that actually get the best out of this world (something that we have seen in previous titles). As a standalone, it falls short for me. Even if I think as a user - the experience definitely went downhill throughout the main story. I mean, there's a fair bit of those who played this game who will say that they enjoyed the first Baldr fight - an introduction to the character - a lot more than the actual final one. That says everything.

Ainu

As I said previously I had no issue in having cut scenes if it progressed the gameplay/enemies/areas similarly but it was the fact that it was what we were left with to remember after a certain point - quite initially - in the game with the rest being more of the same.

It's pretty lengthy for a plat, but for the main story (which excludes Nilf/Muspel) I'm not that sure. Also not sure about it having loads of interesting areas. Nilf and Muspel were basically challenge modes (one is enemy volume, other is time limit), they didn't add anything either to the main story or any particular mechanic. Muspel in particular was like it was designed in around 5 minutes.

If I really think about it from an architect's viewpoint, it feels like they overspent time on the earlier areas and their depth and as the game went on, the depth kept going down and down and that ended with Jotenheim which was basically an empty area. :lol: It's pretty much why I feel really strongly about this because the amount of time spent on building such a brilliant foundation took a lot away from finishing it. As I've said before, if they do the next one and hopefully another one after that in a full-fledged manner - which is saying what they set out for - then people won't have any issue with this and consider this more of a preview to a couple of sequels that actually get the best out of this world (something that we have seen in previous titles). As a standalone, it falls short for me. Even if I think as a user - the experience definitely went downhill throughout the main story. I mean, there's a fair bit of those who played this game who will say that they enjoyed the first Baldr fight - an introduction to the character - a lot more than the actual final one. That says everything.
I wasn't necessarily talking about the different realms, just the areas you encounter during a normal playthrough of the game. I'd say it's plenty. Then again, for years now I've grown increasingly tired of games that are too large or too long, so maybe I'm looking at it differently. It felt large enough for me for that type of game without overstaying its welcome, which is something I appreciate. I don't hold the game in as high regard as many others, more like a solid 8/10 rather than the 9 or 10 it seems to get, but it's still just, I don't know, fine, I guess?

Moby

Dick
I wasn't necessarily talking about the different realms, just the areas you encounter during a normal playthrough of the game. I'd say it's plenty. Then again, for years now I've grown increasingly tired of games that are too large or too long, so maybe I'm looking at it differently. It felt large enough for me for that type of game without overstaying its welcome, which is something I appreciate. I don't hold the game in as high regard as many others, more like a solid 8/10 rather than the 9 or 10 it seems to get, but it's still just, I don't know, fine, I guess?
I'd say I'd always appreciate a game that has larger content given it keeps you engaged with new mechanics. A long repetitive game (I'm think Assassin's Creed) is obviously not great so I can understand if you are counting the length of the game proportional to what we got to do. I finished the main story at Level 4 which is around half of what you end up after a plat, so that didn't really take much. The number of areas you traversed were there, but for me there were a lot of "oh look a new area, let's see what's there" followed by "this guy again?!". Combat, traversal, etc was pretty flat.

But either ways saying that it was a short playthrough and didn't drag in terms of length (I didn't think it did either) takes it out of the conversation when talking about the best games of the generation. That's what I was saying - if this is an unfinished preview then let's call it that. That's pretty much how I view it especially if I look at the progression. And realms obviously were a big part of the premise. 9 from which 2 never unlocked, 2 were challenge modes, 1 was empty - there was stuff that was supposed to go in there but probably never did.

caid

I'd be in solid 8/10 territory too. I'd be more critical of it than the average 8/10 because of the regard its held. And the expectation that regard created I suppose. I think God of War 2 and 3 are much better games and in that 9 or 10 territory so probably a bit of disappointment from that too, though i recognised they'd need to overhaul that formula a lot. Hopefully it'll be a stepping stone to something better like the first God of War. I have low expectations on the storytelling and cinematic parts of the game going forward though to try and circle back around to that.

TrustInJanuzaj

You mean not spoonfeeding the story to the viewer. GoW story doesn't come anywhere near the best FS stories.
That’s genuinely a mental opinion to me. From games are literally all about gameplay. Stories are so incredibly weird and abstract. What great story (in any medium) only involve combat? You moan about this set pieces and cinematic moments but you have to have something to actually tell the story other than just killing one dude, then another on repeat.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Tried Returnal, can't even kill Phrike (or more accurately find him again). :lol: