Gaming PlayStation 5

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think you're taking it a bit too far saying there's a lack of actual content. There's a legitimate criticism to be made about lacking enemy variety and certainly a lack of memorable boss fights, but the content itself is fine. It's a lengthy title with loads of interesting areas.

Meanwhile, I don't remember the amount and frequency of cutscenes being an issue. It's been a while since I've played it, so I'm not sure, but it didn't stand out to me. It clearly took a more cinematic approach than the previous titles, but nothing excessive. It still felt like a game with a strong combat gameplay foundation first and narrative focus second. It was never going to stack up to FromSoft titles in the gameplay department though.
Yeah the reason it's so beloved is because it has both. I loved the gameplay / combat / exploration and the story and characters were also excellent.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think Skyrim had its day 15 years ago and just wouldn't be good enough today. I think if their next game is a minor upgrade on Skyrim it'll get panned. The voice acting, animations and characters were clunky and a bit cheap and dead inside even then. I think a lot of the stories were buried in scraps of paper in a cave in a random corner of the map (almost like elden ring :)). I loved the game 15 years ago enough to play it for about 500 hours or something crazy but it's been surpassed by huge distances in the mean time. Witcher 3 being the most obvious case.

I adored Elden Rings world. Honestly i've probably watched 30+ hours of youtube or reddit rabbit holes associated with it. I've probably spent an hour or two scrolling through my inventory to read item descriptions semi often when playing the game. Its a terrible way of delivering a story but my god is it an interesting world. Its dense and honestly a lot of it requires you to fill in the blanks yourself, it can be interpreted very differently depending on your view. But i think thats kind of interesting. You kind of piece together a narrative yourself and then you hear how someone else interpreted different parts and find 'oh thats quite an interesting way to look at it, i didn't think of that' and you kind of stitch together this weird quilt out of the bits the game gives you, how you want to view it yourself and other bits you steal from other people. And lots of guessing based on being familiar with GRRM and Miyazaki.

I kind of like the consistency of from's worlds too. Like they have in an universe explanation for how you can die and come back to life at a nearby bonfire or site of grace for instance and that kind of extends out to every element of the game. So secrets of the gameworld are secret and are buried at the bottom of an optional crypt miles out of the way, they're not hand delivered to you. Random townsfolk miles from the capital have no opinion on the King, they've never seen the king, they've never seen the capital for that matter in a lot of cases. The only people who know anything about the king have an in universe reason to know about him.
I guess i'm overlooking that his hat knows quite a bit about him and has a long message attached to it. Thats a definite weakness, its basically the elder scrolls book in a cave with a diary of the vampires plan to takeover nearby town. I dont know, beating them in a boss fight feels like a good time to reveal a few bits of lore from a gamey point of view and their weapons or armor telling you something about them feels a passable explanation.
For me and many others Skyrim is absolutely timeless. I love Witcher, but Skyrim is still better . It’s the one game that over a 15 year stretch I still have downloaded and still play. The world and lore in that game is truly unrivalled for me.

Anyway glad you enjoyed Elden rings lore and world. I found it way too abstract and it’s all getting abit “games of thrones theories” for me which I’ve never been a fan of.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Skyrim is literally the daddy of action adventure rpgs. Unashamedly bought so many different versions over the years to play on ps3,, ps4 and ps5. I still love dipping into it and the lore is almost perfect. Any weaknesses the game has is by far overshadowed by the feeling immersion in the world.

Reiver

The game they're working on is described as a AAA multiplayer that brings players together in new and meaningful ways.
All for PS acquisitions, just don't forget about us single players too.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I've been getting a lot out of my PS Plus premium sub. I only intended to play Miles Morales but have played through a number of games including a replay of Bioshock, and Infinite.

The latest game I played is Shadow of Colossus. Here is my review -

I enjoyed it less than The Last Guardian but still an excellent and beautiful game. Like it's successor, it's mechanically a very simple game, but it does a lot with a little.

The controls turned out to be frustrating but nothing like the problems I would have with TLG.

It really did try it's best at mixing up the fights even though, they all came down to the same basic premise.

It was the Perfect length. I never felt got bored in any the 16 battles.

The story was ok, but like the gameplay, very minimalist.

For a PS4 game, the graphics, are at times, breathtaking. The only downside to them, was in performance mode, the image was very soft. It looked like 1080p to me? And probably even worse than that, the pop in with the grass was ridiculous. A real shame they could not improve that with a patch.

Overall, a adventure worth going on. 8/10

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Has anybody tried EA play before?

A friend wants to try the new f1 2022 game, I see it's available on there. They don't have PS plus though and mainly just play offline single player games.

Will they need to get PS plus to use EA Play?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Has anybody tried EA play before?

A friend wants to try the new f1 2022 game, I see it's available on there. They don't have PS plus though and mainly just play offline single player games.

Will they need to get PS plus to use EA Play?
This says they need it for multiplayer games. Guessing single player is fine but for F1 2022 specifically it is probably best to message the EA Support and see if it is possible to play that without PS+

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This says they need it for multiplayer games. Guessing single player is fine but for F1 2022 specifically it is probably best to message the EA Support and see if it is possible to play that without PS+
Yeah it's a bit confusing whether you only require it to login to online lobbies, or just play the base game in general. Thanks bud.

Bebe

The game they're working on is described as a AAA multiplayer that brings players together in new and meaningful ways.
All for PS acquisitions, just don't forget about us single players too.
My eyes roll out of my head every time I see this phrase used in game marketing.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I assume the answer is no, but can you transfer subscriptions to another person?

Damien

Staff

July 19 games

Extra tier
  • Stray | PS4, PS5
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (InterMISSION DLC included) | PS5
  • Marvel's Avengers | PS4, PS5
  • Assassin’s Creed Unity | PS4
  • Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag | PS4
  • Assassin’s Creed Rogue Remastered | PS4
  • Assassin’s Creed Freedom Cry | PS4
  • Assassin’s Creed: The Ezio Collection | PS4
  • Saints Row IV: Re-Elected | PS4
  • Saints Row Gat out of Hell | PS4
  • Spirit of the North: Enhanced Edition | PS5
  • Ice Age: Scrat’s Nutty Adventure | PS4
  • Jumanji The Video Game | PS4
  • Paw Patrol on a Roll! | PS4
  • ReadySet Heroes | PS4
Premium tier
  • No Heroes Allowed! (PSP)
  • LocoRoco Midnight Carnival (PSP)

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Came here for that very question. Posted somewhere else (can't remember where) that I had the 2TB drive in my basket yesterday then it disappeared. Now available at £273. Currently got the 1TB drive in my basket now.

Has anybody upgraded their PS5 yet? Any recommendations for the USB extended storage drives?

Will be checking out around 2330 tonight. So last minute browsing.

Damien

Staff
Came here for that very question. Posted somewhere else (can't remember where) that I had the 2TB drive in my basket yesterday then it disappeared. Now available at £273. Currently got the 1TB drive in my basket now.

Has anybody upgraded their PS5 yet? Any recommendations for the USB extended storage drives?

Will be checking out around 2330 tonight. So last minute browsing.
I think @esmufc07 has, dunno if he has done USB though.

Stray's trophy list.

RedDevilRoshi

I upgraded mines a while back. Bought the WD_BLACK SN850 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe Gaming SSD with Heatsink. Basically what @Damien posted.
Very easy to install.

Not used a USB drive on the PS5 but I did use a Seagate USB drive for the PS4, something similar to the following:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9494459

RedDevilRoshi

I'd absolutely love for Sony to give Bungie the push to make a proper single player game again. Their work on the original Halo games was amazing.
Any reason why Microsoft and Bungie split back in 2007? Especially when how brillaint those original Halo games were in comparison to now.

Bebe

I'd absolutely love for Sony to give Bungie the push to make a proper single player game again. Their work on the original Halo games was amazing.
Are any of the same staff/developer talent still at Bungie? If they are, then I'd definitely agree.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Any reason why Microsoft and Bungie split back in 2007? Especially when how brillaint those original Halo games were in comparison to now.
No idea but I'm guessing largely because Microsoft were absolute fannies circa 2007-2019.

Are any of the same staff/developer talent still at Bungie? If they are, then I'd definitely agree.
Always a good question.... according to Google, of the three lead developers of Halo 3, Tyson Greene is still at Bungie and last worked as a designer on Destiny 2. Paul Betrone - who also worked on Reach - joined 343i in June (which is good news for Xbots). Rob Stokes last game was work on Guild Wars 2.

Most important is usually that the culture behind the company hasn't changed. Destiny is a grand scale experience so not entirely dissimilar to Halo and I'm inclined to think they could do it again if they wanted to. Especially as Sony are known for promoting their single-player experiences above free-to-play MMOs.

Last edited:

Damien

Staff
If they do it doesn't sound like it'll be happening any time soon with their focus being on Destiny 2 and the new multiplayer IP they have in development. Never played the original Halo games - were they single player?

I think it was said because Microsoft wanted Bungie to stay on Halo for perpetuity while Bungie wanted the freedom to do other things instead.

Bebe

No idea but I'm guessing largely because Microsoft were absolute fannies circa 2007-2019.

Always a good question.... according to Google, of the three lead developers of Halo 3, Tyson Greene is still at Bungie and last worked as a designer on Destiny 2.

Paul Betrone - who also worked on Reach - joined 343i in June (which is good news for Xbots). Rob Stokes last game was work on Guild Wars 2.

Most important is usually that the culture hasn't changed. Destiny is a grand scale experience so not entirely dissimilar to Halo. I'm inclined to think Bungie could do it again if they wanted.
Agreed on the bolded, its not necessarily that the exact same individuals need to be there (although that usually does help, and culture can easily erode when the influential people who created said culture leave).

I learned a harsh lesson about trusting developer names vs the actual talent from experiences with Bioware over the 2010s :(. That being said I'm also inclined to think, or at least hope, that Bungie would still be capable of creating something special.

Bebe

If they do it doesn't sound like it'll be happening any time soon with their focus being on Destiny 2 and the new multiplayer IP they have in development. Never played the original Halo games - were they single player?

I think it was said because Microsoft wanted Bungie to stay on Halo for perpetuity while Bungie wanted the freedom to do other things instead.
Very strong single players campaigns (probably my favourites in the first person shooter genre) along with equally strong multiplayer. The campaigns were great for co-op as well because it was so well integrated, but they hold up as exceptional single player games to this day imo.