Gaming PlayStation 5

Ainu

It sounds pretty good but in previous generations a lack of good launch games has made me sit on the fence for at least a year. Depending on how much the PS5's promised BC enhances current late-gen games, I might reconsider that strategy though. How cool would it be if e.g. The Last of Us 2 makes use of the haptic feedback, adaptive triggers and even some form of ray-tracing day one on PS5? Or Cyberpunk 2077. Add to that improved performance and significantly reduced load times, those games could really complement the launch line-up in a meaningful way.

Shark

@NotShark
Why is the SSD being made out to be such a massive feature? haven't they been around for yonks, my 3 year old Lenovo has one. Unless I'm missing something.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why is the SSD being made out to be such a massive feature? haven't they been around for yonks, my 3 year old Lenovo has one. Unless I'm missing something.
In the world of consoles nothing else exists otherwise you get called an elitist. You elitist with your "laptop".

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They've developed their own SSD interface from what I remember. Current m.2 SSD's transfer at around 2GB-4GB/s whereas I think Sony are claiming their SSDs are popping 100GB/s

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Because they come as standard in the next gen consoles, you has to swap them into the current gen if you wanted it, casual gamers wouldn't bother, it's just a speed/numbers thing for the casuals.

Castia

They’re boasting ray tracing tech and a re-designed controller alongside their new ssd.....I don’t know how they’re gonna get the coast to an appropriate price. Currently the cheapest ray tracing card the rtx2060 is £440 alone.

SirAF

Ageist
Same. Keep putting it off as there are no 4k channels here. but......
Depends on what and where you are watching, but there is quite a bit of content out there by now. Amazon Prime got, at least, their own tv shows in 4K and most of the movies Apple sell/rent through iTunes are available in 4K now as well.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
They’re boasting ray tracing tech and a re-designed controller alongside their new ssd.....I don’t know how they’re gonna get the coast to an appropriate price. Currently the cheapest ray tracing card the rtx2060 is £440 alone.
It's a custom made GPU so probably it's cheaper for PS5.

RedDevilRoshi

How much do we reckon this will be priced at? Around £400?
Probably.

PS4 was something like £350 when it first came out back in 2013.

My guess is that it will be about £400 or under, the PS3 was £425 at launch and Sony have admitted that such a steep price was a mistake and made them have to play catch up against the 360, they have sold 100m PS4's and truly destroyed Microsoft in the current gen, they can't afford to get complacent and put a price on it that will put off casual gamers, they will probably take a hit on the price of the console knowing that they can make it back up with software sales etc

Last edited:

Ainu

They're claiming significantly faster speeds than the average available SSD, but it remains to be seen what that means. Having SSD by default is nice in a console, but not exactly surprising in 2020.

Bojan11

Nothing really interesting or new. It’s nice that it’s confirmed for next year, but everything else even the controller bit was rumoured. They aren’t exactly going to release the same controller again as they always make changes to their controllers every gen. Its only the PS3 controllers that went backwards in terms of design and of course no rumble at launch.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
When they say backwards compatible, does that mean every single PS4 games from all the regions ?
That’s not what backwards means you racist

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
When they say backwards compatible, does that mean every single PS4 games from all the regions ?
Wow. In all my time here I've never seen someone type something as grossly offensive as this. Wtf dude?!

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It sounds pretty good but in previous generations a lack of good launch games has made me sit on the fence for at least a year. Depending on how much the PS5's promised BC enhances current late-gen games, I might reconsider that strategy though. How cool would it be if e.g. The Last of Us 2 makes use of the haptic feedback, adaptive triggers and even some form of ray-tracing day one on PS5? Or Cyberpunk 2077. Add to that improved performance and significantly reduced load times, those games could really complement the launch line-up in a meaningful way.
It’ll need to have really great backwards compatibility. Like you say, all the big boys have just released or are just about to. Maybe we’ll get a Knack 3 on release if we’re lucky.

Ainu

It’ll need to have really great backwards compatibility. Like you say, all the big boys have just released or are just about to. Maybe we’ll get a Knack 3 on release if we’re lucky.
The features I described would need to be patched in specifically, I'm guessing the BC in itself will just run the games exactly as they run on the PS4. They might do it on their big first party releases though, you never know. I also think the launch line-up will be pretty drab as usual.

Skills

Snitch
Can't wait to get it on launch day, then hardly getting anytime to play it :(

LARulz

Can't wait to get it on launch day, then hardly getting anytime to play it :(
This. I've learnt my lesson with games though. I bought so many AAA games like Far Cry, Witcher, Red Dead and go absolutely nowhere in the story (literally barely made it past the train scene in Red Dead). Playing FIFA or whatever is currently more realistic.

Yet I'll still spend a feckton on a glorified FIFA/PES machine

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
This. I've learnt my lesson with games though. I bought so many AAA games like Far Cry, Witcher, Red Dead and go absolutely nowhere in the story (literally barely made it past the train scene in Red Dead). Playing FIFA or whatever is currently more realistic.

That's cause you suck.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

That’s a shame for you, these type of games are slow at the start but really build up nicely after an hour or 2. Obviously you prefer the quick in/out type games but you should give it a try and be more patient! They’re top class once you spend more time into them.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ah right, Americans. That's ages away. We'll be in a post Brexit Apocalypse by then scrambling around for water and insulin, never mind PS5's.
You will be getting a PS5 just to rip it apart and salvage materials from it to create some sort of weapon to kill your less fortunate neighbours to steal all their food. Personally I can't wait for Brexit as my neighbour is going to get it.