Gaming PlayStation 5

If you like Elden Ring then the Demon Souls Remake is a must have, its incredible.

Already have but played the original to death. Remake is good but they could have made so many improvements beyond graphics

Is Elden Ring like Skyrim?

Its an RPG with stats levelling like Skyrim, its nothing like get a quest go do this talk to this person and so on though.

The game usually functions on killing a set number of bosses which eventually progresses you to the end, its basically left completely to you in what order or where you go.

The combat is actually good and requires a certain skill level to progress and punishes you super hard for any mistakes.

Same RPG elements?

You put points into things like strength, endurance but the gameplay is not like anything else really.

The Souls games have spawned their own subgenre of gaming. They're akin to 3d metroidvanias and are obviously much more difficult than Skyrim and other fantasy RPGs.

You may be best testing the water with an existing Souls game as many people are put off by the high difficulty and lack of hand holding.

PS5 is not worth getting atm if you've got a ps4. Only Elden Ring is worth looking forward to atm. None of the games so far are must haves.
If you are a big gamer than PS5 is a monumental improvement on PS4 like literally another world in terms of speed, graphics, pretty much everything. If you are a casual gamer than I get it but the quality of life improvements alone are worth it even if you never buy another PS5 game.

I've never understood the appeal of the Souls games myself. They just seem like hard work.
I really want to get into them. I actually have really enjoyed the first 15-20 hours of dark souls but then I just lack the hook. I feel like you really have to force yourself to play them which I struggle with. Maybe one day I’ll get through then but I suspect the open world nature of Elden Ring will appeal far more to me.

I've never understood the appeal of the Souls games myself. They just seem like hard work.
Same, I don't have the time or mental resilience to be punished and sent back to the beginning all the time. Tried them a few times, same outcome ... tears and frustration.

If you are a big gamer than PS5 is a monumental improvement on PS4 like literally another world in terms of speed, graphics, pretty much everything. If you are a casual gamer than I get it but the quality of life improvements alone are worth it even if you never buy another PS5 game.
Glad someone said it :)

Is it quiet? Because I got a PS4 Pro not long ago and that thing is obnoxiously loud. Was wondering about picking up a PS5 just to play my PS4 games quietly.

Yeah. I don't understand why they are so popular. I like enjoyment in my games. Hardest game I played was Cuphead. Nearly broke me. I died about 500 times in that game. I wish I was joking.

Is it quiet? Because I got a PS4 Pro not long ago and that thing is obnoxiously loud. Was wondering about picking up a PS5 just to play my PS4 games quietly.
Mine is silent but afew have reported on a whirring disk drive. I think at worst it’s still negligible compared to the PS4. I went from the original PS4 and that thing sounded like a jet engine all the time. Many of the best PS4 games have also received PS5 updates which are night and day too. Well worth it personally.

There's nothing fun in a game that requires little skill, i reverse the question and ask how you can enjoy something that requires no intellect at all!

Is for me. Compared to my launch PS4 it is night and day. The faster downloads, loading time improvements, quietness of the machine and better graphics (though with you having a PS4 Pro there won't be that much difference for a lot of games) alone are worth it in my opinion.

If you're a heavy disk user, there will be whirring but if you're like me and hardly ever use it, you shouldn't notice a thing.

Souls games are refreshing as they don't treat you like a child like most other AAA games do nowadays. They trust your intelligence to piece together the story or how to play effectively.

There's a definite steep learning curve, but once you get over that they're truly in a league of their own. The feeling of accomplishment when you finally beat a boss or area you've been bashing your head against for hours is unparalleled in modern gaming.

I do understand the barrier for entry is too high for many, and my first couple of attempts (Demon's Souls on PS3 and Dark Souls) left me incredibly frustrated.

There's nothing fun in a game that requires little skill, i reverse the question and ask how you can enjoy something that requires no intellect at all!

While I do like some AAA games this is generally how I feel. Sometimes I do like to switch my brain off and just shoot stuff and not have to concentrate too much, but for me they're the games I struggle to justify buying until they're heavily discounted.

For example, I like the look of Guardians of the Galaxy, but unless I can pick it up for less than 30 it doesn't represent good value as I know I'll be done with it in a couple of sittings most likely.

Yeah, I love From Software games personally. There's a learning curve and they are certainly difficult, but bar one or two instances, they are also very fair. At times there is some bullshit going on (mostly to do with the camera) but if you put the time in and learn the patterns, then you'll be good to go.

Plus, they are extremely rewarding. They're like a drug in that aspect. The dopamine hit when you finally beat a boss that you've been fighting for about 2 hours is unparalleled. They also have an incredible sense of exploration as they don't hold your hand and tell you everything. It's fun to uncover their mysteries.

I'm actually surprised you haven't given them a go considering you like Metroid.

To be honest, I've not played games regularly for years plus I've not had the time to invest in them, so having to learn how to get far in Souls for example would've been a no no. I liked MD but I found a lot of the game tedious, once you learn the patterns it's not too difficult but I was only arsed because of my love for Super Metroid otherwise I would've shelved it very quickly. BOTW was a far more superior game. And far more fun. So was Odyssey.

Yeah, I love From Software games personally. There's a learning curve and they are certainly difficult, but bar one or two instances, they are also very fair. At times there is some bullshit going on (mostly to do with the camera) but if you put the time in and learn the patterns, then you'll be good to go.

Plus, they are extremely rewarding. They're like a drug in that aspect. The dopamine hit when you finally beat a boss that you've been fighting for about 2 hours is unparalleled. They also have an incredible sense of exploration as they don't hold your hand and tell you everything. It's fun to uncover their mysteries.

Actually this is a good point. I've read a few books about gaming and one thing I read that stuck with me in particular was how games are seen as a sort of controlled environment for failure. Unlike in real life, you aren't punished for failing really as you can simply pick it up and start again. I imagine there's a huge psychological aspect to the appeal of Souls games in this sense. All about control of the environment and a gradual sense of mastery or something.

Actually this is a good point. I've read a few books about gaming and one thing I read that stuck with me in particular was how games are seen as a sort of controlled environment for failure. Unlike in real life, you aren't punished for failing really as you can simply pick it up and start again. I imagine there's a huge psychological aspect to the appeal of Souls games in this sense. All about control of the environment and a gradual sense of mastery or something.
Honestly, I still think this aspect of Souls games is overstated. I don't play them for the satisfaction of beating the bosses, I play them because their world building is sublime and the combat mechanics are so deliberate and precise. Yes they are challenging, but not for the sake of being challenging. The challenge is there to let the mechanics shine, to force the player to care about precision, positioning, patterns and timing. It serves a purpose and makes the game more enjoyable. Sure, overcome particularly difficult bosses has its own appeal, but it's only a small part of why these games are so good. At least in my opinion.

This. I game a good 20 hours a week on average and the PS5 shits all over ps4

Yeah, absolutely. This is particularly prominent in Sekiro. Obviously, all these games have it, but due to the nature of the combat in that game, it's highlighted more. You have to play the game on its terms, and while it can be a bit of a learning curve coming from the other From games, there's an enormous sense of achievement and mastery when it clicks.

Anyone who wants a challenge should get themselves the binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ and have a crack at the Ultra-Hard Challenge. Took me over 100 failed attempts, but I have rarely felt so satisfied as when I finally beat it.

youtube video of my winning run in the unlikely case anyone is interested. Essentially every negative modifyer in the game is switched on at the same time and no 'hearts' can drop on the ground to heal you if you get hit. (only way to heal is with getting certain items to drop which can passively or actively heal you)

Mine is silent but afew have reported on a whirring disk drive. I think at worst it’s still negligible compared to the PS4. I went from the original PS4 and that thing sounded like a jet engine all the time. Many of the best PS4 games have also received PS5 updates which are night and day too. Well worth it personally.
PS5 is SSD, what disk drive ?

PS5 is SSD, what disk drive ?
The Blu-ray disk I presume, which does spin up audibly when starting up the PS5, provided there's actually a disk in there. It stops fairly quickly though and is obviously not comparable to the PS4's jet engine, as that's caused by the cooling solution.

I mean atm. There are so few ps5 must have games.

The Blu-ray disk I presume, which does spin up audibly when starting up the PS5, provided there's actually a disk in there. It stops fairly quickly though and is obviously not comparable to the PS4's jet engine, as that's caused by the cooling solution.
Totally forgot it has BR drive , I am yet to use it for something :lol:

I really want to get into them. I actually have really enjoyed the first 15-20 hours of dark souls but then I just lack the hook. I feel like you really have to force yourself to play them which I struggle with. Maybe one day I’ll get through then but I suspect the open world nature of Elden Ring will appeal far more to me.

Dark souls was the first. Ds3, bloodborne and sekiro is when they finally hit their stride.