Gaming PlayStation Plus

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Exactly, and if enough people subscribe then all the other publishing houses will follow suit. Gamers are sleepwalking into a nightmare.
Obviously Sony don't want publishers to go down that route (am sure they would like to be the ones owning that piece of the pie) - and as you said, I would also prefer paying a single subscription, rather than managing several different ones to different publishers.

Member 39557

Obviously Sony don't want publishers to go down that route (am sure they would like to be the ones owning that piece of the pie) - and as you said, I would also prefer paying a single subscription, rather than managing several different ones to different publishers.
My point is that you shouldn't have to pay a subscription. Sony offered a Payed service on the Ps3 where you got the "free" games, and they offered a normal free online service for everybody else.

Now for their new console, they force you into a subscription if you want to play online, just because they can! Most people just seemed to shrug their shoulders and get on with it and I can't understand why.

Cina

My point is that you shouldn't have to pay a subscription. Sony offered a Payed service on the Ps3 where you got the "free" games, and they offered a normal free online service for everybody else.

Now for their new console, they force you into a subscription if you want to play online, just because they can! Most people just seemed to shrug their shoulders and get on with it and I can't understand why.
Probably because MS already do the same thing so it's basically seen as natural progression.

I don't mind, the PS3 online was terrible compared to the 360, so if it means an improvement (which it looks like it is), I'm not too fussed, especially with all the free content.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Probably because MS already do the same thing so it's basically seen as natural progression.

I don't mind, the PS3 online was terrible compared to the 360, so if it means an improvement (which it looks like it is), I'm not too fussed, especially with all the free content.
Agreed, and also online is a bigger component of the PS4, than it was of the PS3.

Member 39557

That's what baffles me. Oh, they're charging like Microsoft, ok seems par for the course!

I never played Xbox online, so I don't know what the difference was and whether it was worth paying for but PS3 online always seemed fine to me. Maybe I'm a cynic, but Sony's financial woes might have something to do with all these tasty forced subscriptions.

I wasn't actually going to buy a PS4, but I won one so I'll keep hold of it until the games that interest me come out. I will pick up The Last Of Us eventually, and obviously Uncharted 4.

Member 39557

Agreed, and also online is a bigger component of the PS4, than it was of the PS3.
Discounting the graphics, is the destiny or watchdogs online experience much better on Ps4 than Ps3?

I genuinely haven't looked so forgive if it's a newb question.

Leg-End

People voted with their wallets, people paid for Xbox Live so Sony did what any other company would do in that situation and took advantage of it.

I would absolutely be onboard with moaning about forcing people to pay to play online if the service was a straight Xbox Live clone, you literally got nothing back from it. PS+ you get cloud storage, 6 games over 3 formats a month and store discounts. PS+ has been around since 2010, they didn't hide online behind it until 2013, they obviously had the data to back up that decision, a large majority of people that play on Playstation owned PS+ because it offered value for money.

I really don't see PS+ in its current form as something gamers can moan about, in fact I would say its a big draw for any potential PS4 owner.

Member 39557

People voted with their wallets, people paid for Xbox Live so Sony did what any other company would do in that situation and took advantage of it.

I would absolutely be onboard with moaning about forcing people to pay to play online if the service was a straight Xbox Live clone, you literally got nothing back from it. PS+ you get cloud storage, 6 games over 3 formats a month and store discounts. PS+ has been around since 2010, they didn't hide online behind it until 2013, they obviously had the data to back up that decision, a large majority of people that play on Playstation owned PS+ because it offered value for money.

I really don't see PS+ in its current form as something gamers can moan about, in fact I would say its a big draw for any potential PS4 owner.
It's the lack of choice though isn't it? Ps3 you could take it or leave it, on PS4 it's sign up or you can't play online.

I know I'm in the minority, but I just think that's a bit out of order from Sony.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Discounting the graphics, is the destiny or watchdogs online experience much better on Ps4 than Ps3?

I genuinely haven't looked so forgive if it's a newb question.
I haven't played either (except for a brief go on the Destiny beta) - so can't offer any informed opinion I'm afraid.

I am looking forward to GTA V for the PS$, despite already having played it extensively on the PS3. Aside from looking better, I understand that the PS4 version will allow for more players online in the same session. So there can be improvements outside of pure aesthetics.

Leg-End

It's the lack of choice though isn't it? Ps3 you could take it or leave it, on PS4 it's sign up or you can't play online.

I know I'm in the minority, but I just think that's a bit out of order from Sony.
I'm willing to bet they increased PS+ memberships by a lot by doing it and generally kept most people coming back because of the games. Did they need to do it? No, but did it make financial sense to do it? Absolutely. Xbox Live made Microsoft millions, I'm surprised Sony held out as long as they did.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

I see where you're coming from - I guess I consider the service that I pay for delivers good value - so am happy to pay.

It is going to get to a point where its subscription overload (if it hasn't already!). None of them are very expensive on their own, but you add them all together and they mount up!

PS+
Netflix
TV Sports Channel
NFL Gamepass
Spotify

And thats just off the top of my head and not including basic tv / internet packages.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Was going to create a thread on PS+ yesterday. Received a nice mail from them yesterday, notifying us about a "small" price increase :lol:

Safe to say the prices for monthly and annual etc, has gone up by something stupid like 53% (didn't do the calc, just read it somewhere).

I've been on a month to month, but quickly scrambled to buy a annual subscription. Got it just in time.

Was it only the SA subscriptions that went up?

Mail:
Due to various market conditions, the price of your PlayStation Plus subscription is going to rise slightly. On 01/10/2014 the price of a 1 month subscription will rise from ZAR69.00 to ZAR99.00.
If your PlayStation Plus account is set to renew automatically you don’t need to do anything. You won’t begin paying the new rate immediately on 01/10/2014; instead you will start paying the new price from your first renewal date after 01/10/2014.
You can find instructions on how to check your renewal date how to manage automatic wallet funding and how to add/delete a credit or debit card in the links below.
Price has gone up in a few countries, but I think that the countries it has gone up in, their price was a fair bit lower than the EU price so the raise is to bring it more in line with that.

Member 39557

I'm willing to bet they increased PS+ memberships by a lot by doing it and generally kept most people coming back because of the games. Did they need to do it? No, but did it make financial sense to do it? Absolutely. Xbox Live made Microsoft millions, I'm surprised Sony held out as long as they did.
I can see the business side of it completely, but I can't believe how universally accepted it was by the gamers. I really think it's the beginning of something potentially horrible.
Anyway, I'm derailing things a bit so I'll disappear for now.

Member 39557

I see where you're coming from - I guess I consider the service that I pay for delivers good value - so am happy to pay.

It is going to get to a point where its subscription overload (if it hasn't already!). None of them are very expensive on their own, but you add them all together and they mount up!

PS+
Netflix
TV Sports Channel
NFL Gamepass
Spotify

And thats just off the top of my head and not including basic tv / internet packages.
Exactly, and if EA's model is successful, I can see other publishers getting in on the act. Soon it'll be get this level and extra content on subscription only, limit the sale of physical games so people can't do trade-ins etc. Gamers will be fleeced alongside sports/tv and movie fans.

Piracy will be the only option for many!

Leg-End

I can see the business side of it completely, but I can't believe how universally accepted it was by the gamers. I really think it's the beginning of something potentially horrible.
Anyway, I'm derailing things a bit so I'll disappear for now.
It's not derailing, its a discussion and a good one.

I think it was universally accepted because someone else had already paved the way for it, then all Sony had to do was waltz in and provide a similar service but add value on top. People see "free" games and you had them at hello. Take a look at EA Access (which in my opinion is a far more dangerous thing for gamers), people saw the free games and just forgot it was EA and if its successful will lead us down a dark path only EA could muster. You think publishers like Ubisoft or Activision aren't looking at EA Access and waiting in the wings for their own versions?

I trust Sony to understand the gamer a little more, they've already seen what its like to piss them off with the online outage and the PS3 price.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
It's not derailing, its a discussion and a good one.

I think it was universally accepted because someone else had already paved the way for it, then all Sony had to do was waltz in and provide a similar service but add value on top. People see "free" games and you had them at hello. Take a look at EA Access (which in my opinion is a far more dangerous thing for gamers), people saw the free games and just forgot it was EA and if its successful will lead us down a dark path only EA could muster. You think publishers like Ubisoft or Activision aren't looking at EA Access and waiting in the wings for their own versions?

I trust Sony to understand the gamer a little more, they've already seen what its like to piss them off with the online outage and the PS3 price.
Totally agree.

In saying that, some of the prices they offered in their PS Now beta were ridiculous - renting a game for a certain period costing more than buying it outright, for example.

It's strange that they are moving to a model that follows the old video-store model (pay per title), albeit online, when most services were going the Netflix route - one payment for access to all content.

Leg-End

Totally agree.

In saying that, some of the prices they offered in their PS Now beta were ridiculous - renting a game for a certain period costing more than buying it outright, for example.

It's strange that they are moving to a model that follows the old video-store model (pay per title), albeit online, when most services were going the Netflix route - one payment for access to all content.
Yeah PS Now as a concept is excellent but if those prices that are rumoured remain it will fall at the first hurdle.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Price has gone up in a few countries, but I think that the countries it has gone up in, their price was a fair bit lower than the EU price so the raise is to bring it more in line with that.
Yeah that sounds about right. We were essentially paying 30 GBP a year. Now its gone up to around 45-50 GBP.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
So not only do we get weekly downtime but they continue to offer rubbish games too since it became compulsory to pay for PS plus

More shite

PS4

The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
SteamWorld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt

PS3

Frozen Synapse Prime
Luftrausers

Vita

The Hungry Horde
Escape Plan

And still no sign of the PS Plus edition of Driveclub which must now be considered one of the biggest disasters as far as game releases are concerned.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I agree with you, not even bothered this month, just picked up tlou, shadow of mordor, and with ac and GTA v coming this month I should have enough, add into that call of duty and whatever else I may have forgot.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Is this what it's like to be a PC gamer? Download a load of tosh for basically free and never play it? No idea why I keep 95% of the stuff I got from PS+ on my hard drive. :houllier:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is this what it's like to be a PC gamer? Download a load of tosh for basically free and never play it? No idea why I keep 95% of the stuff I got from PS+ on my hard drive. :houllier:
They really haven't given us anything good since PS4 came out. The best thing on the store is probably DC Universe which has been there for years now.

Castia

Ps+ for the Ps4 is almost a year old now and in that time I've downloaded 2-3 of the games, what a load of shite they've surved up since launch.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ps+ for the Ps4 is almost a year old now and in that time I've downloaded 2-3 of the games, what a load of shite they've surved up since launch.
There's not even been any nice discounts on good things either. It is pretty shit.

Leg-End

I expect the monthly games to get much better next year, first year was always going to be propped up by indie games.

Say they offered Killzone Shadowfall next month, people would still moan because if you purchased a PS4 in the first year the chances are you already played it anyway.........they can't win right now, the library of games isn't there yet.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
I expect the monthly games to get much better next year, first year was always going to be propped up by indie games.

Say they offered Killzone Shadowfall next month, people would still moan because if you purchased a PS4 in the first year the chances are you already played it anyway.........they can't win right now, the library of games isn't there yet.
Yep - the benefits really start to kick in when they start to offer full-price titles. It's clear based on the PS3 that these will be coming, so I don't see the point in complaining until then about the range of titles they include.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Yep - the benefits really start to kick in when they start to offer full-price titles. It's clear based on the PS3 that these will be coming, so I don't see the point in complaining until then about the range of titles they include.
Faulty logic there. On the PS3 they had to give good titles, that was the benefit. Now theyd be giving retail games to far more people, and it's not even the key reason these people are playing.

I reckon they might give the odd retail title free next year. Perhaps Knack and Killzone. Doubt theyll go over 3 or 4 retail titles for the year tho.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think it's faulty logic its a pretty sound theory there as to why there's been no full games yet, as is your own logic why they might cut back content, time will tell I suppose. Either of you could still be right but I think even if they do 'nerf' PS+ so to speak we'll see more retail games than 3 or 4, feck, I hope so.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Faulty logic there. On the PS3 they had to give good titles, that was the benefit. Now theyd be giving retail games to far more people, and it's not even the key reason these people are playing.

I reckon they might give the odd retail title free next year. Perhaps Knack and Killzone. Doubt theyll go over 3 or 4 retail titles for the year tho.
I disagree in that I think they will give more. They may have done it as an incentive on the PS3, but that has created an expectation on the PS4 and I would be surprised if they deviated from this strategy.

Leg-End

The PS3 had a library of games to be able to do that too, the PS4 simply doesn't. They have the data to know when a game has more or less topped out selling, that's usually when they become prime candidates for PS+, they aren't going to offer "AAA" games that still sell reasonably well.

Given EA Access I doubt we will see many EA published titles on it either going forward.

I think 3 or 4 retail titles sounds about right actually, one every 3 months or so. Are we really going to argue that isn't great value for £40? (ignoring the PS Vita and PS3 titles).

Maxii

Paad
The Binding of Isaac is actually pretty highly rated http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-binding-of-isaac

Think I'll give that one a go, doubt i'll have time for the other one with the games coming out this month

Gonna get Lords of The Fallen, Pro Evo 2015 and Far Cry 4, then Alien, Assassins Creed and whatever else looks like a worthy purchase at Christmas
I sank over 300 hours into the original Binding of Isaac on Steam to get 100%. Addictive as feck and one of the best indie games out there. Was wondering when the new one was coming out.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So not only do we get weekly downtime but they continue to offer rubbish games too since it became compulsory to pay for PS plus

More shite

PS4

The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
SteamWorld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt

PS3

Frozen Synapse Prime
Luftrausers

Vita

The Hungry Horde
Escape Plan

And still no sign of the PS Plus edition of Driveclub which must now be considered one of the biggest disasters as far as game releases are concerned.
Meh.... meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Shite month...

Shark

@NotShark
I couldn't give a rats arse about PSN's game offerings this month to be honest. There's so many quality games coming out, or are already out that will keep me occupied for a long time.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
PS+ games for December & January announced (Europe):

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014...vember-content-update-little-something-extra/

Hi everyone. Before we get into the details on November’s new PS Plus games, we understand many of you are waiting for DRIVECLUB PS Plus Edition to be added to the Instant Game Collection, and we apologise that the game is not yet ready to launch. We want you to know that we’re committed to providing DRIVECLUB PS Plus Edition to members when it’s ready, and the team at Evolution Studios is working hard to make it a reality.

In the meantime, we want to make sure you still have some amazing free games to play throughout the holidays. As you may already have read, in the month of November we’ll have The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and Steamworld Dig on PS4, Frozen Synapse Prime and Luftrausers on PS3, and The Hungry Horde and Escape Plan on PS Vita.

Beyond that, in December we’re adding Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition and Secret Ponchos to PS4′s IGC line up. Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition is the first AAA Blu-ray title to join the Instant Game Collection for PS4, and we think you’re going to love it. Then in January, we’re adding inFAMOUS First Light and The Swapper for PS4. We will still add DRIVECLUB to the PS Plus line up when it becomes available.

So, to recap:

December

• Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
  • Secret Ponchos
  • More TBC
January

• inFAMOUS: First Light
  • The Swapper
  • More TBC

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Good but it's still a massive disaster for the DriveClub not to hit the store.