Pochettino Chelsea Manager - Sack Watch

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Too early to herald Ange for me. I think he is too inflexible and I think, if Spurs were to qualify in Europe, that teams with better footballers will find them out.
I sort of agree with this. I love how they're playing and he's extremely likeable, but I also think that he's had (notwithstanding the injuries) a pretty good set of circumstances for a first year.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Amorim is a manager that likes to participate in the football organization, he's not just a manager (hence one of the main reasons sporting's youth academy players get so many minutes under his tenure). Pretty sure Chelsea is not looking for this kind of profile, they prefer someone who's just a manager.
Depends on the person, I guess.

One of the reasons Tuchel fell out with the owners was because they wanted the coach to participate more behind the scenes whereas Tuchel himself only wanted to focus on coaching. When Potter came in and the club also hired Brighton's sporting director to join with him, it looked like the owners had gotten their wish by bringing in a coach who was happy to have an active relationship with the directors but that plan unraveled quickly with Potter's failures as a coach.

With Poch I'm not quite sure how much of a role he has outside of managing the first team but the history with Tuchel/Potter has already shown that the club/directors are at the very least open to the manager having a wider role. In any case the sporting directors will always have final say in decisions like transfers, contract negotiations etc. over the manager but as long as there's an honest and open dialoque between the manager and the background organization I wouldn't necessarily see it as some huge problem.

The days of managers being the top dog at their clubs are more or less over and it's not like Amorim would have full decision making power anywhere else either if/when he makes the step up to any of the bigger clubs.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Too early to herald Ange for me. I think he is too inflexible and I think, if Spurs were to qualify in Europe, that teams with better footballers will find them out.
There are inherent limitations to a tactical setup that depends on running more than your opponent. Just ask Eddie Howe. Or Bielsa for that matter.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Depends on the person, I guess.

One of the reasons Tuchel fell out with the owners was because they wanted the coach to participate more behind the scenes whereas Tuchel himself only wanted to focus on coaching. When Potter came in and the club also hired Brighton's sporting director to join with him, it looked like the owners had gotten their wish by bringing in a coach who was happy to have an active relationship with the directors but that plan unraveled quickly with Potter's failures as a coach.

With Poch I'm not quite sure how much of a role he has outside of managing the first team but the history with Tuchel/Potter has already shown that the club/directors are at the very least open to the manager having a wider role. In any case the sporting directors will always have final say in decisions like transfers, contract negotiations etc. over the manager but as long as there's an honest and open dialoque between the manager and the background organization I wouldn't necessarily see it as some huge problem.

The days of managers being the top dog at their clubs are more or less over and it's not like Amorim would have full decision making power anywhere else either if/when he makes the step up to any of the bigger clubs.
I always thought new Chelsea owners were quite authoritarian in squad engineering, but might be biased in that opinion. Tuchel won the Champions League in a season where the pre-season was done by another technical staff team, which makes it impossible to draw a line between what Tuchel really did and what he didn't do. Didn't help that Tuchel has the fame to be very demanding in terms of specific transfer market and doesn't give a chance to players he puts aside.

Potter was a clear gamble: things were going well at Brighton, but it was going to be a huge leap and without a pre-season there's not much he could do to change things arround.

Poch still got credit for his job at Spurs, but let's be honest: it was probably his career peak. At PSG he won the league simply by having more squad depth, otherwise they would had lost it. And there were worrying signs at PSG by how the team couldn't properly defend.
I can see some of those problems at nowadays Chelsea:
- Too much reliance on build-up from the wings, which against teams that are very compact in the middle makes it less effective.
- The fullbacks are often instructed to step up on the pressing leaving the team exposed to quick wing-to-wing shifts.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
His genius is starting to show, surely you can't sack him. Give him at least another 6 months and half a billion.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
They look good against 10 men, they thrashed Spurs away from home when they had 10 men
Didn't they have 9?

Poch ain't our problem.

Stop starting Raheem, too many average players we vastly overpaid for. Too many injuries, especially Nkunku.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
He doesn't make it easy for himself. Sterling was having an all-time stinker and should've been subbed off together with Mudryk who is more effective when the game is more open. However by subbing Mudryk first he invites the crowd to really lay into him, when it so easily could've been avoided. Not that I mind since I don't particularly rate him.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Pochettino might have the worst game management I've ever seen.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Pochettino might have the worst game management I've ever seen.
It's really wild stuff. Almost every game we look much worse in the second half that it's been having me wonder exactly what it is that he's telling the team during his half time team talks. His use of substitutions is also terrible because subs are too often made way too late to have any meaningful impact on the game.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Don't think he'll make it to the end of this season at this rate. :lol:

This late into the season and Chelsea still aren't even top half.

Defeat to Man. City and I can see them relieving him of his duties. Potter was actually still in the CL when he was sacked.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
That's such a weak statement to make. Like an open letter to management, that he shouldn't get the sack.
It's worse than that. He's calling the fans who are criticising his record idiots. We've got our fair share of idiots but you've got to be pretty fecking stupid to think that we're playing like a top 4 team.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He'll probably be sacked in the summer but the owners are the problem. Where we go from there I have no idea.

Mike Smalling

It's worse than that. He's calling the fans who are criticising his record idiots. We've got our fair share of idiots but you've got to be pretty fecking stupid to think that we're playing like a top 4 team.
It's also pretty funny that he is basically saying that they are seven league positions and about 18 points off, where they ought to be. After 30 league games. I could maybe get on board with a team being a handful of points of their 'true' position, but this is such a massive leap :lol:

BorisManUtd

Unfortunately I can't see Chelsea beating City in Fa Cup semis unless there's some self-destruction done by City players.

Don't think Poch will get the sack, it's his 1st season (probably last as well) so they'll give him until the end of it. Would they give Mourinho interim job to try and win the Fa Cup? Atm you'd give him better chances vs Pep then to Poch.

Djemba-Djemba

Unfortunately I can't see Chelsea beating City in Fa Cup semis unless there's some self-destruction done by City players.

Don't think Poch will get the sack, it's his 1st season (probably last as well) so they'll give him until the end of it. Would they give Mourinho interim job to try and win the Fa Cup? Atm you'd give him better chances vs Pep then to Poch.
They've given City trouble in both league games this season to be fair.

Bit of luck and they could have won both, lets hope they're saving the luck for the semi final.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Tuchel comeback to relegate them out of spite :drool:

BorisManUtd

They've given City trouble in both league games this season to be fair.

Bit of luck and they could have won both, lets hope they're saving the luck for the semi final.
Maybe but hopefully they won't be carrying PTSD from Carabao Cup final vs Liverpool coming into Wembley.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Everyone coming back? There are also rumours of Nagelsmann returning to Bayern now. So... Poch back to PSG? :lol:
London, Munich and Paris united in chaos. That would be great !

MegadrivePerson

Those comments about the data showing that they should be 4th should be enough to get him sacked alone!