Pochettino | Leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

caid

Yes. PSG were criticized for their subpar performances and he moaned about exoectations being too high, that PSG shouldn't be expected to win every games. That press conference was an eye opener, he isn't a winner at least not at the level required by top clubs, where you are definitely expected to win every games, it won't happen but it's the goal and you have to do it with style in most places.
Sounds a bit like that time he said trophies were an ego thing and finishing 4th in the league was a much bigger achievement, right before an fa cup semi. Spurs suited him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yes. PSG were criticized for their subpar performances and he moaned about exoectations being too high, that PSG shouldn't be expected to win every games. That press conference was an eye opener, he isn't a winner at least not at the level required by top clubs, where you are definitely expected to win every games, it won't happen but it's the goal and you have to do it with style in most places.
Yeah it's been a repeated trend for him. He's good for the tier below clubs. Get them to punch above their weight with 0 expectation to win the trophies. At Spurs people laughed about the lack of trophies but it's a real thing. You just can't discard the cup competitions as frequently as he did, or maybe not fully ignore but he sure never prioritized them or said anything about the importance of a trophy.

If you only think the Prem and CL are competitions worth winning, then you probably won't win those competitions either and you won't get whatever time you think you should get at a bit club.

Glad we dodged that bullet.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Surely they've built a squad for 4231 or even 442?

Sanchez
James Thiago Badiashile Chilwell
Caicedo Enzo
Sterling Palmer Madueke
Jackson

Or could go

Madueke Caicedo Enzo Mudryk
Sterling Jackson

90 + 5min

I disagree with that completely. We have a very good group of CBs but I think Silva is a huge a problem in that Poch is scared to drop him.
Disasi and Colwill are no players that will put a team in the top. Far from it. I have no clue what Colwill is doing in first team at all. Badiashile, Fofana and Calobah are just average players. At best. According to me Silva is your best center back and that says a lot. Instead of buying centerbacks that will make you very hard to beat you've thrown money on attacking and midfield positions.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Surely they've built a squad for 4231 or even 442?

Sanchez
Caicedo Enzo
Sterling Palmer Madueke
Jackson

Or could go

Madueke Caicedo Enzo Mudryk
Sterling Jackson
Sanchez
Caicedo Lavia
Palmer Enzo Sterling
Jackson

Would make them a lot more solid in the middle of the park.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Disasi and Colwill are no players that will put a team in the top. Far from it. I have no clue what Colwill is doing in first team at all. Badiashile, Fofana and Calobah are just average players. At best. According to me Silva is your best center back and that says a lot. Instead of buying centerbacks that will make you very hard to beat you've thrown money on attacking and midfield positions.
Hardly their fault Fofana did his ACL.

Badiashile and Disasi are French international players, did well in Ligue 1. I would trust Chelsea scouts over your judgement on their ability to adjust.

The real issue is goalkeeper and striker really.

90 + 5min

Hardly their fault Fofana did his ACL.

Badiashile and Disasi are French international players, did well in Ligue 1. I would trust Chelsea scouts over your judgement on their ability to adjust.

The real issue is goalkeeper and striker really.
Everyone is now international. Everyone plays for their country.

You can trust their judgement better if you want but throwing over £1b and not having a better team doesn't show any good scouting at all.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Everyone is now international. Everyone plays for their country.

You can trust their judgement better if you want but throwing over £1b and not having a better team doesn't show any good scouting at all.
I agree the squad lacks balance, just disagree with your assessment of their centre-backs. Have not seen Colwill play yet.

Some strange acquisitions to say the least though.

Sylar

Wasn't colwill the one at brighton? He looked good there iirc

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I wonder when questions will be raised about their regular business with City that helps both of them meet ffp rules
City sold Cancelo to Barca with the condition that their City group team would get a loan from Barcelona. It's not even collusion since it's done openly in front of everyone.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
They are playing much better than their results and just can't put the ball in the net.

Jackson and Enzo together have an XG around 5.5 this season and only 1 goal scored between them. That's basically it in a nutshell.

Finishing will even out somewhat over time. I think the bigger issue in the longer run is that the depth in attacking/creative positions still looks really weak. As bad as Jackson and Enzo have been at putting the ball in the net, they're clearly two of their most influential players and they really lack alternatives. Mudryk, Madueke, Palmer, Gallagher, Chuks, Maatsen - its not clear at this point that any of these players are good enough to be important offensive contributors for a club with Chelsea's ambitions. Getting Nkunku back will obviously help eventually but it could be a rough ride until then.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Sanchez
Caicedo Lavia
Palmer Enzo Sterling
Jackson

Would make them a lot more solid in the middle of the park.
They need to score goals not be solid.

Thiagoal

Really needed to buy a world class striker but spent their money elsewhere…again

RuudTom83

Losing games can become a bad habit...Chelsea have a real problem trying to turn that mentality around.

Which is never easy at a big club...United are proof of that.

Natener

How’s Amadeus holding up? Also, I would like to express my gratitude towards Chelsea for keeping Caicedo away from Arsenal and Liverpool. Maybe we can be in for him next summer in their next firesale.

caid

They are playing much better than their results and just can't put the ball in the net.

Jackson and Enzo together have an XG around 5.5 this season and only 1 goal scored between them. That's basically it in a nutshell.

Finishing will even out somewhat over time. I think the bigger issue in the longer run is that the depth in attacking/creative positions still looks really weak. As bad as Jackson and Enzo have been at putting the ball in the net, they're clearly two of their most influential players and they really lack alternatives. Mudryk, Madueke, Palmer, Gallagher, Chuks, Maatsen - its not clear at this point that any of these players are good enough to be important offensive contributors for a club with Chelsea's ambitions. Getting Nkunku back will obviously help eventually but it could be a rough ride until then.
Yeah but it wont.
Putting the ball in the back of the net and being clinical has been a long running problem for them to be fair and its gotten particularly bad in recent seasons. Its a bit of a strikers graveyard in general but their matches last season were just silly with them being hideously wasteful around the box. I mean its guys like gallagher or kovacic or kante getting a lot of the chances so you dont expect them to be clinical but their forwards have been no better (i guess most are technically gone now). Werner got a lot of grief for being wasteful but at least he scored some of the chances. Confidence in goalscoring was in the toilet last season and it'll be an obstacle again this season.
3 at the back is a double edged sword for them. It means one less forward, it'd be us without bruno, so the costs are obvious. But their forwards are frankly rubbish and only having to play 3 of them is probably a win overall. But then their rubbish forwards struggle a bit more and get a bit more demoralised and less confident so its terrible in the long term.
They need to drop thiago and play 4 at the back. They have enough experience thats fit and performing with Chilwell, James and Sterling. It'll hurt short term, their young centre backs will have a few nightmares and cost them games, their forwards will continue to struggle for goals and they'll be midtable by christmas. But they wont be achieving anything this season anyway, top 4 was a bit of a pipe dream that probably passed when nkunku got injured.
If they settle and get their shit together uefa cup is probably manageable in second half of season, similar to how forest fared last season. Or else they shut up shop, try grind out wins keeping a slim hope of cl qalifications alive to finish around uefa cup positions anyway and still have long running problems.
Thats how i'd view it. Second is easier to keep your job doing at least in the short term. First option involves keeping a pile of 100m players happy and commited floating around midtable most of the season. No small feat and probably gets you sacked at christmas when you inevitably fail.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Flabbergasting after spending 1bn under the Todd

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Good to see some sense in this thread. If you check their xg, they are in top 5 of team in the premier league. They have been one of the best performing team in league, but also one of the most unlucky team as well. as I stated before, their finishing is absolutely dross and it showed again this game.

How do you have that type of xg and not score a goal. Oh yea because they miss chance like the one below

I think jackson is a good player. He has good holdup, strength and pace. But, when it comes to finishing, he hasn't really showed much and Chelsea should have made signing a world class number 9 a priority signing over signing the amount of kids they have. Many criticized chelsea approach and now people understand why they should have focused more on strengthening their first team rather than their 2nd or third team.

Anyway, I m not going to make a knee jerk reaction. Pochettino is without his best attacker, his best defender and his captain. Alot of things are going against him, but his performances haven't been bad. Once nkunku is back, chelsea attack will be much better.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I pretty much completely disagree with that entire post. Colwill is excellent. So is Badiashile, he barely put a foot wrong last season, despite the chaos unfolding around him. Disasi leaves me unconvinced. The jury is out with him. I just haven’t seen enough of him to confidently say he’s good or bad. Fofana is another very talented CB who can’t stay for. Chalobah is a good squad player. Silva is still good but we’re forced to play in a way that isn’t good for the rest of the team, in my opinion, in order to protect him.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Good to see some sense in this thread. If you check their xg, they are in top 5 of team in the premier league. They have been one of the best performing team in league, but also one of the most unlucky team as well. as I stated before, their finishing is absolutely dross and it showed again this game.

How do you have that type of xg and not score a goal. Oh yea because they miss chance like the one below

I think jackson is a good player. He has good holdup, strength and pace. But, when it comes to finishing, he hasn't really showed much and Chelsea should have made signing a world class number 9 a priority signing over signing the amount of kids they have. Many criticized chelsea approach and now people understand why they should have focused more on strengthening their first team rather than their 2nd or third team.

Anyway, I m not going to make a knee jerk reaction. Pochettino is without his best attacker, his best defender and his captain. Alot of things are going against him, but his performances haven't been bad. Once nkunku is back, chelsea attack will be much better.
:boring:

Redfrog

Putting the ball in the net is a skill. So XG is irrelevant when your players can’t do that.
I don’t get how people can’t understand that. Having chances is nice but the quality of the player to put in in the net is actually something that makes a real difference which only translate in a real game not in stats.
Our very own legend, SAF, always has as a priority to have goal scoring machines in the team. Players that can make a difference. That what wins you games.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yes. PSG were criticized for their subpar performances and he moaned about expectations being too high, that PSG shouldn't be expected to win every games. That press conference was an eye opener, he isn't a winner at least not at the level required by top clubs, where you are definitely expected to win every games, it won't happen but it's the goal and you have to do it with style in most places.
That’s discouraging to hear.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I can see why they want to get that experience on the pitch to be fair.
Yeah I can why too, and he does have some great games that sometimes justifies this approach but I just think it forces us to have too many defensive minded players in the pitch.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
After international break, Pochettino needs to use these formation and players. Stop the chilwell lw experiment. Stop accommodating Silva. Gallagher should be a squad player. Petrovic may need to start ahead of Sanchez. Jackson is also on thin ice with Borja coming back. This team is still new and it took ETH a while to figure out that he should stop starting maguire and Ronaldo. And arteta awhile to figure he shouldn't start lacazette and auba. Pochettino shouldn't take to long to figure out some of the players in his team hindering his progress.

---------------------Petrovic
------- Disasi - Colwill - Badishelle
-------- ----- Caceido - Enzo ---------------
James - Palmer - ------ Sterling ----- mudryk
---------------------- jackson

4 2 3 1

------------------------------Petrovic
James --------Diasi/Badishelle - colwill --------- Mattsen/Chilwell
------------------------ caceido --- enzo----------
Sterling/Madueke ------ Palmer/carni ------- mudryk/sterling
Jackson

4 - 3 - 3

Petrovic
James - Diasai/Badishelle - colwill - maatsen/chilwell
Lavia
Caceido - enzo
Palmer/madueke - Jackson - mudryk/sterling

tomaldinho1

Thought they were ok today but they are basically like us, no real attackers you’d trust to put the ball in the back of the net. Also like us they will get countered to hell and back by direct balls and if you can’t score and make a cushion you’re dropping points most games.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Chelsea were absolutely atrocious today. Clueless going forward. Forest were nowhere near as good as against us but were comfortable. Jackson was diving all over the place. Poch looks lost.
No we were about at the same level - the difference at United was the ref and a dodgy sending off. I do agree that Chelsea are terrible, not a lot of effort or guile and a predictable team to set up against.

Mainoldo

Bhoely is probably worse than the Glazers. No joke. Don’t make the money fool you. This club has no soul. It’s just a transfer factory at the minute. No manager will be successful unless he learns quick.

Cloud7

I remember when i wanted Poch to replace Mourinho. Fool i was
At the time he was coming off a great stint at Spurs and he looked like he had the potential to take the step up and be the next big thing. I wanted him then as well. His PSG stint subsequently showed that he is not quite up to the challenge of being the manager who will win you things at the big clubs or be as dominant as said clubs should be, so perhaps it was for the best that he did not come in after Jose.

Redfrog

No we were about at the same level - the difference at United was the ref and a dodgy sending off. I do agree that Chelsea are terrible, not a lot of effort or guile and a predictable team to set up against.
How dodgy ? Bruno was going on goal. As clear red as it ever been. Same happened to Newcastle against Liverpool.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Both the pen and the red card were correct decision in the United game.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
You weren't. Awoniyi was almost anonymous today and not because of Chelsea's defending. We gave you a two goal start and played Lindelof in the second half and still won.

cyberman

Thought they were ok today but they are basically like us, no real attackers you’d trust to put the ball in the back of the net. Also like us they will get countered to hell and back by direct balls and if you can’t score and make a cushion you’re dropping points most games.
They’re not like us at all. Not even close in the slightest

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Poch is great if you're not expected to win anything. Without pressure he'll have his team play nice footy, but at the first sight of trophies his loser nature comes out and takes over the squad like diarrhea in kindergarden.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
xG doesn't win you games. And it doesn't keep you in a job as Potter found out. Chelsea need to start winning games pure and simple. The first goal seems to be a huge hurdle, because once they concede, they can't break down a defence. The build up play today was so slow.