Pochettino | Leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

CallyRed

If we go for Poch we'll have to let Amadaeus return. So careful what you wish for.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
United finished 3rd, got into 2 cup finals and won 1. Chelsea scraped into Europe with a few games left, possibly only the Conference League, didn't challenge for anything all whilst being by far the biggest spenders.

You're right, exactly the same.
Chelsea got into a cup final, lost in another SF(against the same team that beat United in the final last year), and as for the league - reference the "less individual talent". They pretty much put in the same performances, United just didn't have guys missing sitters. More in general, both teams were largely really good, except for like 5-6 games - but in those games they were not merely bad, they looked amateurish

This appointment ranks only slightly above Southgate for me. With ETH we had a young up and coming coach who could have taken us somewhere (still might). With Poch we know exactly what we're getting, mediocrity.

Infra-red

I had assumed when this news broke that De Zerbi was nailed on for Chelsea, but all the talk this morning from reliable outlets seems to be McKenna/Frank as front runners (Kompany, Maresca and Michel also mentioned occasionally).

Lyng

Given that Poch didn't want as much structure above him it's pretty clear he would be an awful appointment.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Interesting, I thought he would get another season after how the team performed after Christmas. Felt they had turned a corner and were looking much better.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
cheeky punt on Enzo Fernandez? :angel:
I doubt it since he's been shite under Poch. We looked massively better without him, which can't be good when we spend 120m+ on him.

My guess is whoever the new coach big objective will be to change the midfield so he doesn't look shite anymore. I just hope we don't sell Gallagher, given he's our captain, plays every game and covers a lot of distance every game, similar for Chalobah.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Ahhhhh my new owners. Not just poor decisions for the team in general, but pissing off your best player in the process.

If they were to sign McKenna, Palmer is, for real, gonna think our next manager knows less than the third best assistant he played for under Pep.

I know I’ve posted this ad nauseum for the last 24 hrs… but the most massive blow in all this is to the players. They were led to believe they could accomplish something for Poch. They finally came together and had their moment of resolve, mentally , to be a singular ly dedicated unit; to one purpose.

And we just told them it was all a laugh. We absolutely did tell them the whole “Plan” and the process it’s supposed to be…. seems like a laugh.

Im reminded of the video games again and wonder if one of the owners is thinking “it may be a little rocky, but if we hit the right player discussions we will be back from Yellow to Green in no time!”

I do not think this was Boehly btw. He endured downright ridicule sticking to his “plan” for the Dodgers before the project came good. Eghbali (sp?) is my primary suspect. We were told the primary owners were ‘split’ on this.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I probably would as well. Tuchel is more likely to fallout with a couple of players, however he's also a hell of a lot more likely to finish top 4 and win some trophies.
Tuchel is the guy you hire after someone like Poch has spent 2 or 3 years building a quality, cohesive group… and just can’t get them over the final jump to titles.

He does not have the patience to handle and bring along Madueke the way Poch did, for instance.

sepulturite

He is more than good enough. He is a top tier PL manager with a strong track record of getting his teams to perform better than the sum of its parts and he runs rings around Erik Ten Hag in the coaching department. If we hired him and not the clown Ten Hag (like we should have), we would be in a far better position right now. Chelsea are complete boneheads for firing him when he managed to get that team three points off 5th after the dumpster fire of a situation that the owners put him in. Ten Hag would have had that Chelsea squad fighting for relegation.
I never mentioned anything about ten hag, and me not wanting Poch doesn't mean I want ten hag to stay, I just don't think Poch is good enough, I think he's a tier below who we should be looking at.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
In fairness, that isn’t really accurate though. We were extremely unlucky in many ways, and there were those computer models that took all the stats from each game (expected goals, etc) and thought we should be in third.

Then, from Christmas on, we essentially WERE 4th.

That’s wading through a sea of inconsistency and injury. I’ve tried to play with a similar type of abdominal hernia, and made it about twenty minutes. The “shots” don’t help that much.

You had the Madueke’s of the world trying to grab penalties and throw tantrums.

You had a ref agenda that saw us pass a legendarily dirty Leeds teams ever for a yellow cards in a season record… while our players had blood drenching the backs of their calves and cracked jaws without so much as a finger waved in the other teams direction.

Amid all of this, this team was genuinely maturing. They were coming together as a team, and, most importantly, they seemed to be convinced they were fighting for a chance to save their season and their manager.

Whether that was ever true or not, there is ample evidence they believed it was, otherwise why all the “the job isn’t finished” references with two games left?

And we have just told them that none of that, nothing they did actually mattered, none of the growth they showed mattered. It was all a foregone conclusion due to some unlucky results back in October and November.

That probably won’t have a negative mental impact on the team.
What exactly is it that isn't true? We haven't spent 8 out of 9 months this season faffing about in the bottom half?

I hear you on some of those mitigating factors but I think you're being a bit overdramatic saying it tells the players nothing they did really mattered. You could argue removing Poch now is the club trying to make sure the work they did over the season does not get wasted by having to find a new manager mid-season. We also don't know why Poch was let go. I've certainly not seen anything that says it was definitely performance related. It is my opinion that his performance this season deserved the sack, but the noise coming out of the club mentions something different entirely.

Full disclosure here, I think had he stayed he would have been sacked 10-20 games into next season, so for me starting fresh with a new manager before preseason is more preferable than having another season disrupted by another mid-season managerial change.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
What is this loser mentality you speak of?
We had a player advantage over Liverpool during the start of extra time and he pulled back an attack that was working to play the entire extra time for a draw. When asked about that decision he threw it on the players saying the lads wanted to play for PKs.

I thought he would get another season, but it does not bother me he is gone. He has always been a serial loser when it comes to finals. We need someone who goes after big wins instead of some scared to lose.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Both are young in managerial terms. ETH was young and up and coming. Poch is just young.
Yeah, poster was saying don't go for Poch, stay with ETH who is young and upcoming, whereas in fact Poch is younger!
That's what I'm saying.

PS it was also Poch that knocked ETH out of the Champions League semi, when ETH was at his best Ajax having their best CL season.

Tap

Both are young in managerial terms. ETH was young and up and coming. Poch is just young.
ETH is also just “young” now. Not so much that up and coming hot prospect

croadyman

I preferred Poch over ETH two years ago, mainly because I thought he would be better at whipping the dressing room into shape. But Im not really sure whether he would be a good shout right now.

I think the aim is to move to a first team coach model, with an increasing amount of managerial responsibility devolved to other people in the club, a bit like Brighton do. However we're not there yet and the manager will have a fairly large responsibility for at least another season or two while new people and new systems get bedded in. Poch is the kind of manager that likes to be involved in everything, so I can see that it might work as an interim measure. But it may cause problems down the road.
That last paragraph is why I wonder if he fits into what INEOS are trying to implement, having said that he doesn't have the supposed character concerns they would probably have about appointing Tuchel.

Yeah, poster was saying don't go for Poch, stay with ETH who is young and upcoming, whereas in fact Poch is younger!
That's what I'm saying.

PS it was also Poch that knocked ETH out of the Champions League semi, when ETH was at his best Ajax having their best CL season.
I wasn't saying ETH was better because he was younger. He was the hot prospect of European football when we hired him. Poch hasn't been that for years, if ever. He's always been a bit average.

BorisManUtd

Tuchel's last 3 jobs: PSG, Chelsea, Bayern. After PSG and Chelsea, maybe i'ts time for Poch to join Bayern now as well.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Another rash decision in my opinion. He was turning that ship around a little and they were not even boring to watch for a change. Too much instability over there.

Teja

So it's not De Zerbi then. Still feel we're going to get him.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
This appointment ranks only slightly above Southgate for me. With ETH we had a young up and coming coach who could have taken us somewhere (still might). With Poch we know exactly what we're getting, mediocrity.
ETH is older of the 2, and we also know what we're getting with him...disfunction, failure and terrible style of play.

Poch is not at the top of the game, but he is far above the likes of Southgate. Right now we need a good pair of hands that can steady the ship, compete and improve/modernise the performances. Tuchel/Poch are ideal candidates for that role, even if they're only here for 2/3 years. That gives time for the true young (not a mid 50s baldy), up and coming managers to set themselves apart and we can pick a safer bet.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What is going on at Chelsea, seriously

Honestly, a lot of this stuff feels like noise. Whenever something happens at Chelsea it seems like every journo in the country wants a piece of the pie with an angle or narrative they're desperate to get people outraged about.