Pochettino | Leaves Chelsea by mutual consent

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Honestly, a lot of this stuff feels like noise. Whenever something happens at Chelsea it seems like every journo in the country wants a piece of the pie with an angle or narrative they're desperate to get people outraged about.
i heard boehly also wants to watch the manager have sex and then tell them how they can do it better.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
What exactly is it that isn't true? We haven't spent 8 out of 9 months this season faffing about in the bottom half?

I hear you on some of those mitigating factors but I think you're being a bit overdramatic saying it tells the players nothing they did really mattered. You could argue removing Poch now is the club trying to make sure the work they did over the season does not get wasted by having to find a new manager mid-season. We also don't know why Poch was let go. I've certainly not seen anything that says it was definitely performance related. It is my opinion that his performance this season deserved the sack, but the noise coming out of the club mentions something different entirely.

Full disclosure here, I think had he stayed he would have been sacked 10-20 games into next season, so for me starting fresh with a new manager before preseason is more preferable than having another season disrupted by another mid-season managerial change.
We were getting the points to be higher, but the spots above us were not dropping the points needed. The fact that if you remove the first 6 games of the season, which was a ravaging nightmare of people getting taken out like they were in a horror movie, combined with some absurdly bad calls, and bad luck….. From that point on we were 4th in points accumulated.

We were heading back in the right direction, and everyone was talking about needing a few adjustments and we’d be ready to fight for top 4. Now we are starting over.

Poch did a good job of building a pretty cohesive, quality side at Tottenham. They never quite got over the hump, but some people blame that on Levy. Regardless, another year of solidifying this team and going for 3rd or 4th and THEN going for the manager you think can take the next step makes more sense. We were not at the end of where Poch could take us.

What it tells me, along with the reports of how much influence the owners want, even in practice, is that they want someone who will just say “yes” to everything, and is just happy to be there. This will NOT work.

They don’t even understand the odd reason they THINk it will work. They look at City’s structure and see that Txiki and others are involved in a lot of the team structure there, and think “that’s what we need!”

But Txiki is Pep’s best friend, and they don’t get that, ultimately, Pep will get what he wants, and the players KNOW who is in charge.

Mckenna will not have that. We are not recreating City’s structure. McKenna isn’t even to the point an inexperienced Poch reached at Southampton yet. McKenna will drown dealing with this structure trying to survive as the dangling scspegoat at a club like Chelsea. They can’t sell me or anyone else the idea of a “patient process” anymore.

The leaks that people Poch’s training techniques led to injuries is an especially low attempt at justification. Why did they run a whole study that determined the entire medical staff needed replacing then? Why were a large portion of the injuries a typical type of “re-injury” associated with mishandling of rehab?

That whole line is almost embarrassing.

They were, we know, split. Boehly most likely had his dinner with Poch to warn him. And telling everyone about the dinner was Poch’s way of saying “I know what you’re doing” .
Boehly is technically tied more to Strassbourg now anyway. Then Eghbali and the directors moved in, told Poch whoever manages here needs to keep their mouth shut and do as told. Gallagher and Chalobah would be sold. And the directors would continue to have direct control even over the coaching in the field (like with the selecting of set piece coaches that didn’t answer to Poch).

I don’t blame Poch with being fairly happy to leave.

People keep blaming Boehly because he’s not a football guy… but at least he IS a sorts guy. Eghbali is a pure money guy, and the person who should be getting the most pressure from fans.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Honestly, a lot of this stuff feels like noise. Whenever something happens at Chelsea it seems like every journo in the country wants a piece of the pie with an angle or narrative they're desperate to get people outraged about.
Multiple that by 100 for United!

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Please keep this loser away from us.

Tarrou

I'd rather him than ETH but don't think he's the answer. Still, there isn't an obvious choice at all.

We've really got to the point where we need a good run under a decent manager before we can realistically appoint one of the elite managers who become available. In that sense, maybe Poch for a couple of years isn't a bad idea. If we continue this trajectory under ETH more damage is going to be done.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'd rather him than ETH but don't think he's the answer. Still, there isn't an obvious choice at all.

We've really got to the point where we need a good run under a decent manager before we can realistically appoint one of the elite managers who become available. In that sense, maybe Poch for a couple of years isn't a bad idea. If we continue this trajectory under ETH more damage is going to be done.
That's how I see it. A good manager that can stabilize us as a CL team is the most important thing.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Seemed like he was loved by his players at Chelsea. Their an horrible club.

DJ_21

It seems people are shocked based on the strong ending to the season, but when we take a step back and look at it, he wasn't that great at Chelsea, and a month or so back, people, including myself, thought he'd be sacked.

I mean, this is a Chelsea team who have spent so much money, only to scrape 6th place and pretty much sat in and around the bottom half of the table for two thirds of the season.

He also accidently fell into the right team/system. With the injury of Enzo, he decided to put Gallagher deep next to Caicedo and inverted Cucurella. Had he done that at the start of the season, who know's how they'd have got on.
The strong end of the season is all the more reason to keep him surely? It shows he’s turned it around a little bit and the team are starting to click together. Like you said they’ve spent so much money and signed so many players it’s bound to take at least a full season to gel them together. I reckon they’d have been stronger next season if Poch was still there so I’m glad he’s gone.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
A wise, ruthless owner might look at all the facts and conclude available manager X is a better fit than Poch.

Boehly however is sacking Poch because his magic 8- ball said so. Any similarity with a good decision is entirely coincidental.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's how I see it. A good manager that can stabilize us as a CL team is the most important thing.
A good coach, I would say.

Not a good "manager" - we don't need a "manager".

We need good leadership above the coach first and foremost - and, yes, obviously, a good coach as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
A good coach, I would say.

Not a good "manager" - we don't need a "manager".

We need good leadership above the coach first and foremost - and, yes, obviously, a good coach as well.
Ladies and gentlemen, I have been out-pedanted. :D

I write manager because head coach doesn't really come naturally in that context. But yeah we need a good head coach.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
A wise, ruthless owner might look at all the facts and conclude available manager X is a better fit than Poch.

Boehly however is sacking Poch because his magic 8- ball said so. Any similarity with a good decision is entirely coincidental.
Again , not Boehly. Boehly runs Strassbourg.

Boehly apparently wasn’t “Poch out”

I honestly think the club deserves to be excoriated for our decision making, but Eghbali does t deserve to keep going unscathed.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
What is going on at Chelsea, seriously

That is the best job offer ever ! Show up every weekend, let the crazy ones above you get ridiculed and cash in your severance check.

Juicy Juiced

People are overreacting, Poch probably had a top4 clause, and with Bottlers&Aston Villa finishing above him it was right move. Especially if someone like Tuchel is avaliable. Not like is Poch serial winner. Good manager for "smaller' teams.

Gene Loblaw

Supports
Arsenal
Any talented young manager that takes that Chelsea job is an idiot and has idiots advising him.
all managers leave chelsea unscathed imo. And with a nice severance package. Everyone bounces back to similar jobs they had previously or better. No shame in not pleasing the chelsea circus and cashing in.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
People are overreacting, Poch probably had a top4 clause, and with Bottlers&Aston Villa finishing above him it was right move. Especially if someone like Tuchel is avaliable. Not like is Poch serial winner. Good manager for "smaller' teams.
Tuchel isn’t even on the radar.

I will say, for every reason I hated this move … if it turns out to be Maresca I will at least be intrigued. I still don’t see why you wouldn’t wait at least another year though.

simplyared

Absolute ridiculous decision to part with him. Shows what a shite club Chelsea are.The positive is he's available to take charge of MUFC! He's exactly what we need. One of the best coaches at man to man management and we need that. He could make Rashford great again. Sometimes you have to believe in fate. It was meant to be! Btw he could even maybe get a tune out of our Brazilian star on the right.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Seemed like he was loved by his players at Chelsea. Their an horrible club.
Could be a good thing for them in the long run. The players seemed to really like him but they’ve under performed for most of the season. Don’t perform, your boss gets sacked and you could get a total dickhead turn up instead.

crossy1686

career ending
Absolute ridiculous decision to part with him. Shows what a shite club Chelsea is.The positive is he's available to take charge of MUFC! He's exactly what we need. One of the best coaches at man to man management and we need that. He could make Rashford great again. Sometimes you have to believe in fate. It was meant to be! Btw he could maybe get a tune out of our Brazilian star on the right.
Why? He was shite for most of the season. If he’d been sacked back in February you would have said it was fully deserved.

DJ_21

Absolute ridiculous decision to part with him. Shows what a shite club Chelsea is.The positive is he's available to take charge of MUFC! He's exactly what we need. One of the best coaches at man to man management and we need that. He could make Rashford great again. Sometimes you have to believe in fate. It was meant to be! Btw he could maybe get a tune out of our Brazilian star on the right.
Don’t even think Harry Potter could get a tune out Antony.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You've got it wrong, they're not even going for Tuchel.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea will probably appoint amorim or de zerbi. De zerbi probably have upper hand with players like caceido and mudryk already played under him and have the ability and track record to create structural game play.

simplyared

Why? He was shite for most of the season. If he’d been sacked back in February you would have said it was fully deserved.
Chelsea when he arrived were a mess. It's taken time but he's got them performing like a top 4 team. It was never going to be a quick fix but he's persisted tweaked his squad and they're now up and running. To name one player Caceido: a different player! Feck me he's even got Jackson looking like a striker!

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It’s unbelievable how many people and especially Chelsea fans are forgetting they finished 2022-33 on 44 fecking points, in 12th. That takes some turning around with the confidence of the squad etc.
He’s improved them by 19 points & 6 positions, all whilst looking stronger and stronger every week under him.

Sacking him now is hilarious.
And that's how lowering the standards start.

"Yeah but he wasn't 12th" now the next one will get praised if he's above 11th in February.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What is going on at Chelsea, seriously

I mean that's literally how most clubs operate these days, Liverpool do the exact same thing and it's treated great.

Managers getting full control on transfers is outdated. We've done a lot of things wrong under this ownership, not letting Poch turn us into Pulis' Stoke isn't one of them.

Tarrou

I mean that's literally how most clubs operate these days, Liverpool do the exact same thing and it's treated great.

Managers getting full control on transfers is outdated. We've done a lot of things wrong under this ownership, not letting Poch turn us into Pulis' Stoke isn't one of them.
it's the on-pitching coaching interference that was likely the sticking point. I'm sure Klopp wouldn't stand for that either

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I feel like I really want him. Feels like the perfect match. That Spurs team is the kind of side we really want to build. It does concern me a lot they never won anything though. His CV since is very meh.

Theonas

Scout
No, it really isn't. I am sure City and Arsenal don't interfere with Pep and Arteta when it comes to on pitch coaching. Those two also most definitely have a say in the signings and strategic direction of their club, they helped shape in collaboration with the hierarchy. What is reported at Chelsea is a do what you're told model. That is what you'd find at Real Madrid but you don't find that at the top English clubs. There is a clear middle ground between old school Fergie style and what is reported to be the case at Chelsea.
Could you elaborate? How was Poch going to do that?

KeanoMagicHat

And that's how lowering the standards start.

"Yeah but he wasn't 12th" now the next one will get praised if he's above 11th in February.
Chelsea got the 4th most points in the second half of the season, just behind Liverpool, it’s not a big jump to suggest on current trajectory they would have finished top 4 next season, that’s not exactly lowering standards, that’s improving them.