Pochettino sacked by Spurs

fps

Yea I know that, but too little too late. How much have they spent over the last 5 years during Poc's reign? Also, have to factor in that some of the top players are soon going to be out of contract. They're not going to be going 100% and risking a big payday at the end of the season.
The contracts situation may be Levy’s one key mistake, it has been brewing a while for sure!

Fridge chutney

Wouldn't blame him, this is the last comment on his Caf profile:

Hi Glaston. I have been viewing this forum for many years without joining. I just wanted to say I think you are a terrible poster who gets a lot of fair criticism. Chin down mate
And a poster called 2015 used one of his 12 posts over the past 5 years to write this:
Today Mauricio Pocchetino was sacked. Please return from the abyss and fill redcafe with content. You can use the gravity of your tears to type the words on your laptop keyboard. Yours sincerely, 2015

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Take your pick from the 2 European trophies they won under Bill Nicholson (who also won the league and multiple FA & League cups).

Poch is Spurs best ever? That's an insult to Nicholson.
Winning the equivalent of the Europa League is better than getting to the CL Final?

prateik

Spurs have been awful all year.. Not just this season.

Wouldnt be surprised if some players and even poch had checked out and dont care anymore... especially after the CL finals.

This squad is done. Some players want out and the manager probably doesnt have any interest in trying to build another great squad with limited resources.

Best for everyone to move on .

PaulRich

We play them in 4 weeks time - Spurs to come to O.T and display new manager bounce..... anyone??

InfiniteBoredom

Levy is good at counting pennies and losing out on the big bucks.

Imagine the transfer fees and compensation fees he could’ve gotten for Eriksen and Poch a year ago.

TheRedHearted

Hey, you did great there. The end was rough, you need a bit of a break. It happens to the best of us. How about you make four times as much as the most expensive Director of Football there is, and work for us for the next 2-3 years to rebuild our club.
All the very best.
Sir Alex, Edward, and Ole

passing-wind

Spurs have been awful all year.. Not just this season.

Wouldnt be surprised if some players and even poch had checked out and dont care anymore... especially after the CL finals.

This squad is done. Some players want out and the manager probably doesnt have any interest in trying to build another great squad with limited resources.

Best for everyone to move on .
I think this is the most realistic outlook. Outside in we look at players as consummate professionals but like anyone at work I'm sure when they've had enough, things get messy.

Anustart89

Went off the rails in a rugby thread, that’s what I was told when I asked last.
Of all the hills to choose to die on, he picked a rugby thread on a football forum.

Shame though, I liked him. Is Glaston interested in rugby by any chance?

jackal&hyde

:lol: but world class and all that

Hope we stay away from any temptation to hire him. A couple of years of pretty football with 0 trophies and apparently also losing the dressing room is the worst manager we could get.

Shiva87

I don't understand the criticism against him on this forum. Poch has been a brilliant manager. He was clearly being scouted by both United and Madrid last year - and that coincided with the worst run of form that Spurs have had under his reign. He then seems to have lost the plot a bit - which can happen to anyone (especially in football). The guy was shunned by United because a club legend had just got the team into a purple patch of results which wasn't seen from the SAF days, and by Madrid because their all time favorite player, and 3 times CL winning manager put himself back in the hat.

I'll be surprised if Poch doesn't get a job at a big club soon. I don't want it to be United - as I want Ole to be successful here. But, if things under Ole don't get better by summer and Poch is still available - I will be glad to have him here!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Once again proved that loyalty in football is just nonsense and people should calm down when they use that as a stick to beat players or managers.

jackal&hyde

Not even an FA Cup, League Cup? The Europa league is a competition even we have won, they have failed in it consistently whenever they were in it. This is even worse, they have as much a chance as any top 6 team if not more than others to get a trophy, they've had at least two chances to get a title and one was to Leicester. They were not even in bad form like the rest of the top six were and still were nowhere near the foxes. Maybe it's the manager who can't push these players over the finish line, they have and always will be bottlers until something changes over there.
That's the big difference between a great manager and a decent one imo. Competing is one thing, but going over the line is another. Poch has failed with remarkable consistency to show that he has what it takes to get his players over the line. The second big problem is that he also seems to be the manager that can not motivate his players when things go wrong and this has cost him his job in the end; this being another crucial aspect of a great manager.

So for these reasons, i hope we stay well away. Never hire a manager that does not have a trophy winning record or/and one that has a history of losing the respect of his players. Poch has both these faults regardless of how beloved he might be by so many.

InfiniteBoredom

Once again proved that loyalty in football is just nonsense and people should calm down when they use that as a stick to beat players or managers.
Fans are like ‘you have to look out for number 1* when it comes to their own interests but somehow expect players and coaches to be utterly selfless and devote their wellbeing and fortune to the football club they happen to support.

This is genuinely surprising though, don’t know what Levy is playing at here because the chance Mourinho making it work with a mass exodus and stadium to be paid for is infinitely smaller than Poch turning things around, to some degrees.

SteveW

Swapping Poch for Jose is short termism and will cost them dearly in the next few seasons.

Micky Targaryen

Why? What has he actually won? His only real achievement was taking Spurs to the CL Final, w

When Claudio Ranieri took Leicester to the PL title, a far greater achievement, I don't recall a sudden desire for him to become our manager.
What has Ole actually won? You gonna bring up his Norwegian league accolades?

If you have faith in Ole as a manager, why can't you have faith in Poch being a better manager, providing Poch is superior in terms of tactics and PL experience. Is it because Poch isn't a club legend?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fans are like ‘you have to look out for number 1* when it comes to their own interests but somehow expect players and coaches to be utterly selfless and devote their wellbeing and fortune to the football club they happen to support.

This is genuinely surprising though, don’t know what Levy is playing at here because the chance Mourinho making it work with a mass exodus and stadium to be paid for is infinitely smaller than Poch turning things around, to some degrees.
I think sacking Poch was the right decision, cycle with Spurs was over and both needed fresh start. It's just that, it's very silly when people expect loyalty from players and managers but don't think twice before wanting them gone.

InfiniteBoredom

I think sacking Poch was the right decision, cycle with Spurs was over and both needed fresh start. It's just that, it's very silly when people expect loyalty from players and managers but don't think twice before wanting them gone.
Oh I agree that he needs to go, their league form has been on a downward spiral for a year now, it’s just that bad as it is, I’d still bank on Poch to leave Spurs in a better shape if he continues than Mourinho.

Irrational.

I actually think a Jose Mourinho who's been out of the job will be very motivated to show what he can do. And he will have players like Kane or Son so why not? He could do something. I am more dubious for the midfield, but yeah, I am curious now.

Regarding Poch, I am surprised Bayern was not already agreed on.
I can somehow see it working there. Jose has the foundations of a good squad there and I think he'll be able to motivate the players more than Poch. He'll also get better results against the top six through his low-block football. Expect him to start throwing players under the bus and alienating his biggest stars the moment things start getting rough though.

If it goes well it'll go very well, if they don't it will be incredibly messy.

If only Poch had been sacked this time last year. We have been unlucky with the Klopp and Pep situations. This is going to be the third time. As Poch will likely be picked up by Bayern or Real Madrid.
We've just not had any luck with managerial timings.

RUCK4444

So every manager should have at least one year before you can judge them? Dont agree with that. Especially when you have the same poor CV as Ole, and see no progression.
How does a CV ever improve if the employee is never given a chance to demonstrate their ability over a fair amount of time.

Poch was given years and years and won nothing.

We’ve won 6 of the last 7 matches, players who have been stagnating under previous managers are improving, signings have been the best we’ve made since SAF left... there are positives, people just don’t want to see them because they are determined to get rid of Ole before we actually see his long term potential here.

Robbie Boy

Nah. Poch is a long way from the edge of being sacked. Levy knows he has worked miracles at Spurs given the lack of spare money for the squad until recently. He also knows he is one of the most sought-after managers in world football.

Hell will freeze over before Levy sacks Pochettino.
One of @GlastonSpur last posts from October 23. Less than a month later....

el3mel

What has Ole actually won? You gonna bring up his Norwegian league accolades?

If you have faith in Ole as a manager, why can't you have faith in Poch being a better manager, providing Poch is superior in terms of tactics and PL experience. Is it because Poch isn't a club legend?
Don't you know, winning Norwegian league is a bigger achievement than finishing regularly in PL's top 4 and reaching CL, or that's what some are trying to convince us.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We will see. I bet he spends a load. Hopefully on a load of shit.
The problem is that their wage bill seems limited, do you think that he will be able to do what he did at United and add almost a 100m on wages?

Red_Aaron

I wonder, if mou gets the job will he turn up to the press conference with MP's initials on his top as a sign of solidarity :smirk: