Pochettino sacked by Spurs

Devil may care

If they were going to do this I wonder why they didn't do it at the start of the break, I think it'll bite them in the arse long term.

Pagh Wraith

If this is indeed factual, then credit to Ole that our defence is vastly improved and the chances section seems to be on a steady incline, could actually be on the path up here lads.
Defensively United are definitely solid. At the other end of the pitch I'd be careful as this season's numbers are quite a bit inflated by the number of penalties they've had.

But the situation is definitely not comparable to Spurs.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Defensively United are definitely solid. At the other end of the pitch I'd be careful as this season's numbers are quite a bit inflated by the number of penalties they've had.

Tbf most have been missed, so in the end our amount of goals scored from penalties are not different to other teams.

DoomSlayer

We are really good at getting penalties, surely that's not a bad thing? Last season we had the most in the PL as well, if I'm not mistaken.

AFC NimbleThumb

I just put this together in Excel in five minutes so excuse the rather simple visuals. :lol:

I used rolling averages of the last 10 matches as they did in the Spurs graph.

Great work.

Very interesting reading; looks can be deceiving because on the basis of that chart we’re improving.

Louis Van Gonads

My money is on Poch being appointed Man City manager, to start next season after Guardiola leaves.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
No wonder you reply this to me, your nickname explained.

Manchester United even spend so much more and now just 2 point higher than Spurs.
He got sacked cause he has been under performing for almost a year, our minimum goal was top 4 so he got sacked.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We are really good at getting penalties, surely that's not a bad thing? Last season we had the most in the PL as well, if I'm not mistaken.
It's an excellent thing, as it means you're spending a lot of time in the opposition box, and have quick and skilful players.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Simply yes. Winning the Norwegian league is nothing like competing in the premier league against the best teams in the World. The norwegian league is terrible.

Very simplistic to say he left in 14th position. 2 points off us, and I guess Poch has left at his low right now, where Ole's just at his mediocre level. Will Ole ever get us to 2nd place or win us trophies? I highly doubt it.
A league is only as good as it's competition, the simple fact is Ole has won a trophy at a Molde side that was not fancied to win anything, just because its not the premier league doesn't make it any less of an achievement, but of course spending money and getting top four in the premier league is a bigger achievement i guess right?

Such a narrow minded view to have.

Also, we can only wait to see what Ole does, we can only guess, and a guess from someone who believes not winning trophies is better than actually winning them is probably not worth paying attention too!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
F365 said:
Imagine sacking your manager for sulking and then replacing him with Jose Mourinho.

el3mel

If Ole wins a trophy this season does that then make him better than Poch?

The fact that Ole took over when we were at a low point, with a fractured squad and hasn't really had an opportunity yet to actually win a trophy, yet Poch has had 5 years at Spurs and 5 years before that at two other clubs. Ole on the other hand has won trophies with an unfancied Molde side, yet Poch is the better manager?

Your reasoning is awful, Spurs peaked in the league 2/3 seasons ago and have never really matched that or progressed on. They haven't won anything under Poch, even united have won more since Fergie left.

Poch has no clear direction with regards of tactics, he cannot change games if they are slipping away, he doesn't often have a plan B, his record against the top six is quite simply embarrassing!

But of course, Ole is poor and Poch is king as he left his club in 14th position!
You talk about winning the Norwegian league, then tell him his reasoning is awful ?

I can't actually believe some put Norwegian league in the same sentence as what Poch was doing in Premier fecking league.

Ban

You talk about winning the Norwegian league, then tell him his reasoning is awful ?

I can't actually believe some put Norwegian league in the same sentence as what Poch was doing in Premier fecking league.
What was he doing in Premier fecking league. Ok regular top 4, great, some of you act he's been winning the thing year in year out. Yet he didn't manage to finish second in a 2 teams title race.

el3mel

What was he doing in Premier fecking league. Ok regular top 4, great, some of you act he's been winning the thing year in year out.
Finishing 2nd and 3rd the strongest league in the world and reaching the final of the strongest European competition in the world is of course better than winning the Norwegian league 10 times in a row. It's crazy people are actually arguing against that. Yeah his trophy winning record is bad but it's bad in comparison to other top managers like Pep etc, not in comparison to Ole !

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Finishing 2nd and 3rd the strongest league in the world and reaching the final of the strongest European competition in the world is of course better than winning the Norwegian league 10 times in a row. It's crazy people are actually arguing against that. Yeah his trophy winning record is bad but it's bad in comparison to other top managers like Pep etc, not in comparison to Ole !
wrong. His trophy winning is bad, period. He hasn't won..... ever. He hasn't demonstrated neither desire nor know how to win trophies. Which has always been the issue detractors have had with him.
At some point a person needs to turn substantial build work into trophies or its to no avail.

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I have to say that I'm surprised by the sacking of Pochettino and - unless behind the scenes he made it clear that he wanted to leave - don't think it's a good decision.

As for Mourinho taking over, I'm sceptical that it won't end in tears. But he's now the manager at Spurs, so I'll give him the benefit of my doubts for the time being and hope that he succeeds.

At the very least it'll be interesting to see how he gets on with us.

el3mel

wrong. His trophy winning is bad period. He hasn't won..... ever. He hasn't demonstrated neither desire nor know how to win trophies.
No one has said he's a great trophy hunter. He's praised for other qualities and got criticized with that. However the continuous mentioning of Ole winning Norwegian league while Poch didn't is absolutely laughable seeing the level of competition and both leagues. I'm all for criticizing his trophy winning record as it has a basis but not in the same sentence as Ole.

Ban

I didn't say winning Norwegian league is better.. Just he's being biggied up to no ends. Love for Poch is strong in this place.

Ban

I have to say that I'm surprised by the sacking of Pochettino and - unless behind the scenes he made it clear that he wanted to leave - don't think it's a good decision.

As for Mourinho taking over, I'm sceptical that it won't end in tears. But he's now the manager at Spurs, so I'll give him the benefit of my doubts for the time being and hope that he succeeds.

In other words you'll be his biggest fan?

Disappointed in you Glaston, i thought you were the type to call a spade a spade. Tut tut..

Ban

But that's not based on his words because his post is totally fair and didn't imply what you implied.
Him and fair posts don't go hand in hand so you have to understand why I think he'll go from one extreme to the other.
He couldn't stop criticizing Jose and was adamant Spurs would never hire him.

Kag

If an option, you would expect him to push for the Bayern job and win a few trophies to pad up his CV.

Guaranteed trophies at a top club to complement the progress made at Spurs on a (relatively) shoestring budget. Jobs at United and Madrid can wait - they’re far too risky.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Deep down you are furious, aren't you ;)

And you have every right to be.

Levy decided that sacking Poch and replacing him with the dreaded Mourinho wasn't bad enough, so he went and offered Mourinho double what he was paying Poch.

Wow?

djembatheking

I think Poch could well of made it clear behind the scenes that he`d had enough but didn`t want to walk away from his payoff. Levy was maybe hoping someone would make a move for him so he didn`t have to pay him off. In the end something has to give. Only time will tell if it is for the good of the club.

fps

I didn't say winning Norwegian league is better.. Just he's being biggied up to no ends. Love for Poch is strong in this place.
It isn’t love for Pochettino, it’s that winning the Norwegian league is the equivalent of a grown man winning an under 12s egg and spoon race in terms of comparison with competing at the top end of the premier league, where the best of the best compete. That’s not an Ole vs Pochettino thing, it’s just a fact about the respective levels of quality of competitor in those leagues.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Do you really think it's that part that in bold that happened? I am surprised, really.
But I fully agree with you. Aurier was a disaster at PSG, I don't know why Poch bought him, but I have to admit Moura was surprising, he was a bit s*** at PSG, etc...
I am sure you know by now what managers say is meaningless, what they do on the field is a bit more important.

But the story of Poch playing youth? I am like "what the hell", even Ole plays more players from the academy then Poch in my opinion.

Anyway, I think Spurs having been punching above their weight for a while now, maybe they will get back in order and United can come back (especially if Arsenal can keep being bad and Chelsea starts seeing the end of the purple patch, a la Ole first games). This is me hoping to get back to top 4, and then think from there.
He wrote in his book about how his wife advises him on things, and it's said she'd advised him not to stay in the project too long (leave while your stock is high kind of thing). It fits into place with his suggestion that he'd leave if he won the CL, which did him no favours.

Just like Redknapp, who was literally offering Brendan a role in an England setup he hadn't been offered, I think Poch was simultaneously very happy with his lot, but expecting that he'd done enough to be getting other offers. Just like Redknapp, he seems to have been a bit taken aback that your employer tends to get a bit annoyed if you disregard the job you're paid to do whilst expecting that the club also owe you something.

There was a lot said about how Poch was saying he'd think about leaving if we won the CL, and he also said he "made a promise" to the players if he won the CL (https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/...mise-tottenham-vs-liverpool-danny-rose-502272). We don't know what that was, but after the final he apparently stopped talking to the players and went a bit weird. There's more come out now about that, but it's clear that players get a bit miffed if they sign long term deals because their manager has, then he starts talking about how he's going to leave if they actually win something.

A large number of players switched off from that point forwards, but the book stuff was a big mistake and caused issues with the "close" bond he seemed to rely on with the team. His niche seems to be as a motivator (he's by no means a tactician), and there are times in football when you do things that are beyond saving with motivation.

You have to simply look at the way Klopp handled a CL final loss and compare it - he just doesn't have that ruthlessness to look at someone like Lloris (who cost us games) and drop him, or to look at Kane and say "you can't play 90 mins of every game". That's something I'd have expected Fergie to have taught him, but beyond the first few months when he binned off Capoue, Kaboul and Adebayor, he's been a soft touch and, imo, it's been his biggest issue.

Despite the above, he seemed to believe he was un-sackable and I think his contentment at, for example, getting fisted by Bayern's soon-to-be-sacked manager was part of his undoing.

Reactions: Ødegaard

cjj

Supports
Spurs
My trajectory is none of this was said until he got sacked.
You haven't been looking, then. It's been a large proportion of spurs fan's opinion since around April, after we started turning into 90's Spurs.

Other club's fans have just been oblivious as to how long it's been going on, and just been distracted by the 'happy' Pochettino, and fans who support Poch more than the club. The opinions have been watered down/hidden a bit more due to the unpopularity of the pragmatic opinions.

It's why I prefer posting on here to spurs forums - I can be realistic about my opinions, rather than having to temper them to avoid a backlash from fans who think Pochettino was infalliable.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next for him - his reputation has be harmed this season, and I can't help but feel like his options aren't as varied as the media suggest.

Bayern allegedly will wait for Ten Haag - no one of top reputation will go to Ajax (imo). If Real get rid of Zidane, there will be the likes of Allegri still available etc. I think United is semi-realistic, but destined to fail for him.