Pochettino sacked by Spurs

mu4c_20le

Speechless like the most of you.. this could be incredibly brave or incredibly stupid. Lets see if the next manager can enjoy a little bounce.

van Hooijdonk

That came as a surprise, definitely. Interesting who will replace him. If it's Mourinho I will laugh loudly. It would be comedy gold.

killerboi2

I don't know if this is the right decision. I've never been fully convinced about this whole "he's taken the club as far as he can" or similar arguments. Change for the sake of change seems pointless to me.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That is a massive surprise, poor timing if we are indeed interested in getting him at some point. Real won't wait around, he'll be there in Jan.
What on earth qualifies him for Madrid out of interest?

binary bot
Already losing Eriksen and Alderweireld on frees. Kane getting to that age where players start worrying about winning something. Gonna be interesting to see how the rest of the squad feel.

wolvored

We should be all over this. Never saw it happening, maybe at the end of the season.

Josep Dowling

They've been pretty poor for a good year now, don't let that incredibly fortuitous run to the final last year sway you.
Half their team want out!
In 5 years he has taken an average Premier League side, made them a regular top 4 team, gets them to a Champions League final, whilst spending absolutely no money.

The expectation level of what is expected of Poch and Spurs is ridiculous now. How can they be expected to compete with City and Liverpool when he can’t buy players? Then Chelsea, us and Arsenal spend more than them and they have still competed.

Joke decision and I can guarantee Spurs will regret that decision.

Their players want out because Spurs can’t afford to give them pay rises comparable to other big clubs not because of Poch.

Greck

Get his number, email, fax and postal address. Offer him the job for the end of the season. I'm not throwing another year on this manager and his fool's errand of a rebuilding project

Djemba-Djemba

In 5 years he has taken an average Premier League side, made them a regular top 4 team, gets them to a Champions League, whilst spending absolutely no money.

The expectation level of what is expected of Poch and Spurs is ridiculous now. How can they be expected to compete with City and Liverpool when he can’t buy players? Then Chelsea, us and Arsenal spend more than them and they have still competed.

Their players want out because Spurs can’t afford to give them pay rise not because of Poch.
Totally agree with this.

lilcurt

Crazy decision, can't see them doing any better under anyone else in the next few years. With the resources Poch has had I don't see how they can be unhappy with him.

This season could have gone better but still a long way to go.

el3mel

Spurs are fecked for the future anyway. Many of their top players are running down their contract. They won't be able to sell them and won't have much budget to replace either. Levy fecked it up with his persistence on keeping players instead of cashing on them and replacing. They will probably return to where they were previously, a 5th to 7th team at best.

Renegade

For all their top 4 finishes, I don't think Spurs won a single thing with him in 5 years.
Hate when people mention this. What exactly are Spurs expected to win?

They can’t be expected to win anything domestic with teams like Man City & Liverpool around.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
In 5 years he has taken an average Premier League side, made them a regular top 4 team, gets them to a Champions League, whilst spending absolutely no money.

Their players want out because Spurs can’t afford to give them pay rises comparable to other big clubs not because of Poch.
Agreed

Inter Yer Nan

Hopefully we are in dialogue with him and work out some agreement. I’d rather we just eat him now but perhaps let him have a holiday and re-charge his batteries and have Ole work until the end of the season.

It’s a bit sad to see him sacked rather than plucked away. If not for a dodgy penalty in the champions league final maybe they’d have won it just a few months ago.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Sacked by Christmas eh?

Wonder what he said to Levy?

Something rotten behind the scenes?

Probably got to do with money, or the stadium finance meaning no money for the squad?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
For all their top 4 finishes, I don't think Spurs won a single thing with him in 5 years.
A club that before that had been in the CL how many times? It's not easy to take a club to a top 4 stability. We're a massive club and we don't have it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Well this thread is going to go down well with a lot of insightful opinions about why we need to bring him in immediately and fire our current manager right when the team is starting to play well.

On that note.. I did NOT see this coming. Considering how Pochettino managed to take Tottenham from mediocrity to top4, much in thanks to inheriting players like Harry Kane mind you, that he'd have a somewhat longer leash. Levy wouldn't just fire Pochettino 1/3 into the season just like that even if they are struggling, not after all they've achieved.

I'm guessing that Levy and Poch have finally had enough of each other and that this departure is anything but amicable.

hobbers

Well there you have it. TopSpur officially a more ambitious club and less satisfied with mediocrity than Manchester United.

* Not that I think Poch is a mediocre manager. He just reached the end of his cycle at Spurs with a crushing defeat in the CL and then no investment coupled with all the best players running down their contracts.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Incredibly sad day for the club and I feel quite emotional about it all. I say this despite wanting Poch sacked for the last few months - I still absolutely love and respect the guy and it is incredibly sad to see him get sacked. I think it is the correct decision but it really hurts.