Pogba is by far the biggest star in the League

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Best is on a different planet to him in terms of popularity.

Mr angry

Supports
Bury
Best is on a different planet to him in terms of popularity.
And in football terms too. Also, Best would get seven shades of s**t kicked out of him by Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith and Ron Chopper Harris too, and still played the most fantastic football. I'm sorry I only ever saw him play once.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Best is a legend of the game. I like Pogba but he isn't the equal of the very discreet Nedved let alone comparable to actual legends, while Beckham is on an different galaxy when it comes to marketability, Beckham is the type of player that your grandmother know about she has no idea about what he does but she knows how he looks like.

RedCurry

Wtf does a ‘star’ mean? Such a silly term. The guy has won feck all in PL or a PL team. As far as the league goes, he’s going to be a forgotten man if he leaves us without a premier league or a CL title.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He probably is the most famous and most followed player in the league.

Ability wise he's definitely not the best. Probably not even top 10.

Canagel

Once in generation baller. His reputation
got damaged after entering this mediocre team and terrible environment for development.
He was already a big star but made risky move that backfired.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The only footballer who's worthy of voicing Pattrick Star himself.

Denis79

Once in generation baller. His reputation
got damaged after entering this mediocre team and terrible environment for development.
He was already a big star but made risky move that backfired.
So the club damaged his reputation? :lol:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Spot on mate. A player that walks the most on the league (if my memory serves me right) is almost the definition of a luxury player. He's also terribly inconsistent, and some of our best matches were without him. His stats flatter his overall game. Defensively, it's like having a player less.

The problem i have is that even in Rooney's last few seasons, when he really was infuriatingly bad at times, you would struggle to find performances as bad as this. Where as for Pogba this is pretty much his standard performance when he decides he can't be fecked, or wants to feck around, or is just off form.

You see some United fans still bigging him up, but most of my mates who support other teams just find it funny that we persist with him. That doesn't happen with great players. Certainly not anyone you would call the biggest starinthe league. The biggest clown maybe.

Bo_7iDaR

The problem i have is that even in Rooney's last few seasons, when he really was infuriatingly bad at times, you would struggle to find performances as bad as this. Where as for Pogba this is pretty much his standard performance when he decides he can't be fecked, or wants to feck around, or is just off form.

You see some United fans still bigging him up, but most of my mates who support other teams just find it funny that we persist with him. That doesn't happen with great players. Certainly not anyone you would call the biggest starinthe league. The biggest clown maybe.
That pass at 0:54 is on purpose. Otherwise his skull must be hollow as hell.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That pass at 0:54 is on purpose. Otherwise his skull must be hollow as hell.
I have some sympathy with him on that one as young literally asks him to play it there then just runs off in the opposite direction as he plays the ball.

It's typical of Pogba as well though. He took an age to play it for no reason then just plays a lazy pass without even looking properly.

People were blaming this stuff on Mourinho but however bad mourinho was and unfair he might have been on Pogba, it's doubtful he was ordering him to skulk around or play like he was daydreaming the entire game. These kind of performances were also routine right from his first season. He has been the same at times under Ole.

It's just what happens when you try to use a talented luxury player as a driving force in your team. The team ends up reliant on someone who can barely rely on themselves.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Hi. Unfortunately I suffered my first (hopefully last ever) seizure on the early hours of Sunday morning. Clearly that is a topic for another thread but regardless have been a little out of the loop these past couple of days as a result.

I must therefore say I've been torn on Pogba these last couple of seasons. I was sceptical of whether the overall quality of his performances these last few years justified the efforts it would take to keep.

The Caf itself has also been very divided as to whether were better off with or without Pogba.

Now it seems there's been a big swing and nigh on everyone has turned on him. What precipitated this sudden change?

Last edited:

jesperjaap

Yeah I don’t think he’s got the ability to carry a team or for a team to be built around him tbf. I think if he’s one of a few stars, he can shine but as you said, to try and make him the bona fide star - he’s just too inconsistent IMO
I often thought I watched the wrong games or something for Juventus as must have seen him 20 times and less than 5 of those can I remember thinking he had a fantastic game, now Im not sure and just wonder if he has always been overhyped due to his ability, flashes of brilliance, athletic strengths, stats and the social media as opposed to how he performs over 90mins over a season. And he had Pirlo and Vidal supporting him in midfield then, doesnt get much better than that

jesperjaap

:lol: Harsh but fair.
Totally not fair, he isnt fit to lace Jay Jays boots, he was world class and pretty consistent playing for a decent Bolton side. Along with Tugay one of the most under rated players to play in our league and also one of the best, he was pure class AND loyal

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I often thought I watched the wrong games or something for Juventus as must have seen him 20 times and less than 5 of those can I remember thinking he had a fantastic game, now Im not sure and just wonder if he has always been overhyped due to his ability, flashes of brilliance, athletic strengths, stats and the social media as opposed to how he performs over 90mins over a season. And he had Pirlo and Vidal supporting him in midfield then, doesnt get much better than that
Yeah, I think we needed to ensure that we had a good/solid/stable team ourselves first, before we could see the best (or the more consistent version at least) of Pogba.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well that fits with the stats from his first (underwhelming) season at United which had him as being better - by every metric - than he was in Italy. I didn’t watch Serie A at all, and could never find a way to align those improved stats with comments from people raving about his performances for Juve. Perhaps they were only watching highlights?

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Hard to blame him for that, the team hasnt been built around him
Neither was the juve side but he flourished with them. Pogba is a luxury player you add to a well functioning team. He under performs at Madrid their fans will eat him alive, there'll be polls in marca declaring him worst sigining ever by end of week.

rotherham_red

Come on, he is a bigger global/domestic star than Cantona ever was. Saying otherwise is disingenuous.
What? Cantona was starring in Nike ad campaigns long after he retired and was of any relevance to the sport. He might not have had the sophisticated PR and marketing teams that are behind PP but even so, he was a massive cult figure in British, European and World football. You must not have lived through the Cantona years if you think Pogba even touches him in terms of domestic impact at the very least; while globally, Cantona had the eyes of the world on him after the Crystal Palace incident in a way that Pogba simply never has had, and he was quite simply the coolest motherfecker around. Kids around my age simply adored him. We bought the shirts, we pulled up the collar, we tried his audacious chips and passes, we attempted to do everything with gallic flair. Pogba, on the other hand, has social media followers and dances.

There really isn't any comparison.

Stretford kev

Paul pogba maybe the biggest star in the league, but give me a talented hard working player any day of the week.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
and what the hell is this about (think it's in The Sun):

• Paul Pogba is in line for a £3.78m "loyalty" bonus from Manchester United just three days after declaring he needs a new challenge.

Classical Mechanic

Well that fits with the stats from his first (underwhelming) season at United which had him as being better - by every metric - than he was in Italy. I didn’t watch Serie A at all, and could never find a way to align those improved stats with comments from people raving about his performances for Juve. Perhaps they were only watching highlights?
There were question marks over his big game mentality in Italy too which proved to be founded in reality.

clarkydaz

and what the hell is this about (think it's in The Sun):

• Paul Pogba is in line for a £3.78m "loyalty" bonus from Manchester United just three days after declaring he needs a new challenge.
I also heard it last night on talksport. I think Neymar had similar before ditching Barca. They timed it so Barca would have to pay him his bonus before leaving

We'll See Out There!

Pogba being a bigger star than Cantona is BS I'm afraid. Back in the early 90's every kid if they supported United or not had a popped collar! I played in a your typical pub league level football with shocking pitches, players being drunk, stoned, hell even worse! But you know what they all done when wanting to look/play/feel the part on the park? they stuck up a Cantona collar and tried loads of flicks. Even today Cantona is regarded as King Eric, loved and adored by all who watched him strut around OT like he owned the feckin camp. We also never heard about him being anything but a positive influence on the younger players, Beckham, Butt and Scholes all talked about with how Eric doing extra work after training made them look at how much they had to do to get to that level. But I suppose we all enjoyed the JLings beans beans beans video better, right?

Hammondo

In what way do you mean star? I assume you clearly do not mean best footballer.

TRUERED89

Wtf does a ‘star’ mean? Such a silly term. The guy has won feck all in PL or a PL team. As far as the league goes, he’s going to be a forgotten man if he leaves us without a premier league or a CL title.
Nothing player as the popular terms around here goes. PL FLOP!! If he had more pride he'd want to win a major trophy in England before fecking off to Madrid. He just doesn't have the balls to fight through it and be part of the new project, poor baby only gets 290k p/w bless him, there's just no way he can continue at United under such hard conditions...

TRUERED89

Hi. Unfortunately I suffered my first (hopefully last ever) seizure on the early hours of Sunday morning. Clearly that is a topic for another thread but regardless have been a little out of the loop these past couple of days as a result.

I must therefore say I've been torn on Pogba these last couple of seasons. I was sceptical of whether the overall quality of his performances these last few years justified the efforts it would take to keep.

The Caf itself has also been very divided as to whether were better off with or without Pogba.

Now it seems there's been a big swing and nigh on everyone has turned on him. What precipitated this sudden change?
His statement
"I am thinking of this: To have a new challenge somewhere else," Pogba said in an interview with bEIN Sports last week.

"For me, I have been for three years in Manchester and have been doing great; some good moments and some bad moments, like everybody. Like everywhere else.

"After this season and everything that happened this season, with my season being my best season as well. I think for me it could be a good time to have a new challenge somewhere else."

Bestietom

Why then are clubs not wanting to pay the money for him. Coutinho and Hazard were no problem selling.

el3mel

It's useless. There's really a pretty strong Pogba's cult here that sees absolutely no wrong or problem in anything he does and says even if it means them shitting on the club.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Hey man - hopefully just a one-off.
Many thanks for you concern. Nothing untoward from the immediate tests I was given at the hospital but I do have to go and see a neurologist to find out a little more about what happened.

His statement
"I am thinking of this: To have a new challenge somewhere else," Pogba said in an interview with bEIN Sports last week.

"For me, I have been for three years in Manchester and have been doing great; some good moments and some bad moments, like everybody. Like everywhere else.

"After this season and everything that happened this season, with my season being my best season as well. I think for me it could be a good time to have a new challenge somewhere else."
Much appreciate you sourcing this for me. I've been critical of Pogba as well for a long time. Thought perhaps there was some argument for keeping him to see how he fares with a new system and players but reading stuff like that you realise he's done nothing to justify that level of effort.

Last edited: