Pogba is the best midfielder in the world

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Are there honestly any great midfielders in the world right now to challenge Pogba? Kroos and Modric have declined dramatically this year, and it's understandable since both of them have won everything a footballer would want to win in their career (Kroos already has a World Cup as well), and also you have to consider the amount of football both have been playing with Madrid reaching the final of the UCL for the past 3 years and the toll it will have on their bodies. De Bruyne has also barely played this season while Kante has been shoehorned in a role nowhere near suitable to him.

Consider the mid-late 00's when you had Lampard, Ballack, Gerrard, Xavi, Ineista, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Vieira, Keane and Scholes all playing at close to their peak at the same time. Don't think Pogba would be the best amongst that lot of players (even if you exclude Xavi and Ineista).

A real dearth of quality midfielders this season though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Are there honestly any great midfielders in the world right now to challenge Pogba? Kroos and Modric have declined dramatically this year, and it's understandable since both of them have won everything a footballer would want to win in their career (Kroos already has a World Cup as well), and also you have to consider the amount of football both have been playing with Madrid reaching the final of the UCL for the past 3 years and the toll it will have on their bodies. De Bruyne has also barely played this season while Kante has been shoehorned in a role nowhere near suitable to him.

Consider the mid-late 00's when you had Lampard, Ballack, Gerrard, Xavi, Ineista, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Vieira, Keane and Scholes all playing at close to their peak at the same time. Don't think Pogba would be the best amongst that lot of players (even if you exclude Xavi and Ineista).

A real dearth of quality midfielders this season though.
Pogba would be among those players. Right now he is playing in a team that isn't challenging for highest honors, so obviously he is underrated based on team achievements. As a individual, he is will be among the midfielders you mentioned.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Pogba would be among those players. Right now he is playing in a team that isn't challenging for highest honors, so obviously he is underrated based on team achievements. As a individual, he is will be among the midfielders you mentioned.
I agree he would be amongst them, but not the best in that list. My point was that Pogba has little competition this season for the title of best midfielder in the world, compared to the previous decade where he wouldn't be the best.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I agree he would be amongst them, but not the best in that list. My point was that Pogba has little competition this season for the title of best midfielder in the world, compared to the previous decade where he wouldn't be the best.
Oh yeah, he won't be the best in that list but he will be in contention.

Treble

Bernardo Silva seems to go under the radar in such discussions and lists. He's been brilliant for City and Guardiola called him "best player in the league" the other day. Sounds quite exaggerated but if you look beyond the obvious stats (goals/assists), he has the technique of David Silva and the stamina and grit of Milner. He's been probably City's best signing since Guardiola has taken over.

OldTrevil

Bernardo Silva seems to go under the radar in such discussions and lists. He's been brilliant for City and Guardiola called him "best player in the league" the other day. Sounds quite exaggerated but if you look beyond the obvious stats (goals/assists), he has the technique of David Silva and the stamina and grit of Milner. He's been probably City's best signing since Guardiola has taken over.
The guy always impressed me when I watched Monaco, but I haven't been watching much of him at City to be fair.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Either gullible or plain blind.
If anything i'd say it's those that hang on to stats and conveniently overlook the numerous times every single match he plays where he looks as though he hasn't got a clue what he should do(either side of the ball), or where he should be on the pitch at certain times that are plain blind, but I wouldn't want to be that offensive.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
If anything i'd say it's those that hang on to stats and conveniently overlook the numerous times every single match he plays where he looks as though he hasn't got a clue what he should do(either side of the ball), or where he should be on the pitch at certain times that are plain blind, but I wouldn't want to be that offensive.
Straw man. I never cited a single statistic.

Yes, point out his faults while conveniently ignoring his strengths and his current level of play. Oh the lengths people go to save face.

How about vision impaired? Is that a bit less offensive for you?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Think it's safe to say that he's in the discussion for greatest mid fielder of all time. Especially if United make top 3.

In all seriousness; The people who were saying Pogba was shite a few months ago were wrong. The people who are saying he's now the best in the world are equally (ok slightly less so) wrong. Opposite sides of the same kneejerk opportunistic coin.

One thing's for sure though, he has the potential to be the best midfielder in the world for the foreseeable future. Truly has it all this guy. With a bit of luck, he might one day even be nearly as good as Frenkie de Jong.

I'm kidding of course, he will never be that good.

Revan

Assumptionman
Think it's safe to say that he's in the discussion for greatest mid fielder of all time. Especially if United make top 3.

In all seriousness; The people who were saying Pogba was shite a few months ago were wrong. The people who are saying he's now the best in the world are equally (ok slightly less so) wrong. Opposite sides of the same kneejerk opportunistic coin.

One thing's for sure though, he has the potential to be the best midfielder in the world for the foreseeable future. Truly has it all this guy. With a bit of luck, he might one day even be nearly as good as Frenkie de Jong.

I'm kidding of course, he will never be that good.
Awesome. Praise, punch line, praise, punch line :(.

Wanker :keano:

rpg

Best midfielder in the world past 2 month - Yes
Best midfielder in the world past 1 season - No
Best midfielder in the world this season - Maybe, wait and see

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Awesome. Praise, punch line, praise, punch line :(.

Wanker :keano:
I like to keep people on their toes as to whether I'm actually being serious or not. It was actually a punch line, praise, praise, punch line sandwhich.

Paul_Scholes18

He is up there with the best central midfielders in the world. In premier league you got Kante, De Bruyne/Fernandinho, Eriksen/Alli(if he counts) that might be better or at the same level. Based on this season he has been the best of them all. Fernandinho has been bloody good, but he is more defensive so maybe not ideal to compare them.

In europe you got Modric, Rakitic, Veratti, James Rodriguez(if he counts) that might rival him. Modric has not been that great for Real this season and I am not sure Rakitic is at the same level. Veratti is even more up and down than Pogba too.

In general at the moment I think De Bruyne is probably better when he plays. Not sure about anyone else really.

Paul_Scholes18

He has been bloody good, but often playing on the wings too in the system they have. Not sure that you should count him as a central midfielder or not.

Treble

He has been bloody good, but often playing on the wings too in the system they have. Not sure that you should count him as a central midfielder or not.
He's played over 20 games in CM this season including both games vs Liverpool, only in the last few games did he start several games on the right in order to make room for both D. Silva and KDB. He isn't a winger though, he's a midfielder.

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
A few months ago, I asked on here if people would trade a 26 year old Pogba for a 26 year old Modric if they could, and everyone said no.

Any differing opinions now?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
A few months ago, I asked on here if people would trade a 26 year old Pogba for a 26 year old Modric if they could, and everyone said no.

Any differing opinions now?
With or without hindsight? Because Modric evolved into a very special player after 26 years old.

JPRouve

Scout
With hindsight it would be silly to pick Pogba because you know that from 27 to 32 Modric is arguably the best CM in the world. Without hindsight Pogba and Modric are in the same bracket at 26 years old and they both have an issue with determining their best role.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
With hindsight it would be silly to pick Pogba because you know that from 27 to 32 Modric is arguably the best CM in the world. Without hindsight Pogba and Modric are in the same bracket at 26 years old and they both have an issue with determining their best role.
Do you think Pogba has a higher ceiling than Modric?

JPRouve

Scout
Do you think Pogba has a higher ceiling than Modric?
I have no idea. I think that at the same age they were in the same bracket but I don't know how Pogba will evolve, particularly from a tactical standpoint, the same way I didn't knew how Modric would evolve.

JPRouve

Scout
Modric in 10/11 was utter class.
That's true but not the point, if you have to swap two players today you think about the future. We know what Modric is after 26 but we don't know for Pogba.

charlie9882

Rinse and repeat cycle with Pogba. He'll have two months of hot form and people will go way over the top with praise, only for him to put on a dire showing for a period of time after that.

He'll never be considered among the very best until he can show consistency over a course of a season. The worlds best players are consistent and that's what makes them so good.

Paddy1983

Supports
Barcelona
Pogba doesnt have the consistency to be a top midfielder. He is good with the ball at a times and scores goals. Sometimes makes silly mistakes.

He doesnt have the workrate or mentality to be the best he can be, which even if he had wouldnt be half as good as modric was at his prime

Last edited by a moderator: