Pogba is the best midfielder in the world

Jib

Yes and also since January 2017 he has been horrifically inconsistent. He has been a borderline flop until ole took over and recently he has been incredible. I’m not sure what you are getting at, he has hardly proved to be a big game player in a united shirt untill recently. He’s had his moments no doubt, but he has failed to live up to the hype in the big games and the lesser ones and the criticism was hardly unwarranted. Post Jose though there is no doubt he has been immense. Long may it continue.
Bordeline flop by winning the Europa League and being named the best player of the tournament in his first season. Without him, no way we come back in CL. People give this credit to Mourinho but not Pogba who was the man :lol:

And in his second season, he had better goals/assists per minutes than KDB who played his best football in an attacking team.

But he was out for 3 months ( top of the league before his injury ) and without him we were awful.

He also made 2 assists against Arsenal at the Emirates, 2 goals at the Eithad winning himself thoses big games. He also bullied Kante and Dembele the CAF's favorite.

And this season, he saved Mourinho's ass many time and since Ole took over, he's by far the best player in the league.

Not bad for a player being played out of position for 2 years and half.

But bordeline flop huh.

RMD83

Bordeline flop by winning the Europa League and being named the best player of the tournament in his first season. Without him, no way we come back in CL. People give this credit to Mourinho but not Pogba who was the man :lol:

And in his second season, he had better goals/assists per minutes than KDB who played his best football in an attacking team.

But he was out for 3 months ( top of the league before his injury ) and without him we were awful.

He also made 2 assists against Arsenal at the Emirates, 2 goals at the Eithad winning himself thoses big games. He also bullied Kante and Dembele the CAF's favorite.

And this season, he saved Mourinho's ass many time and since Ole took over, he's by far the best player in the league.

But bordeline flop huh.
A europa league when we beat absolute nobodies of European football. We couldn’t have had it easier. I’m not here to pan pogba, I’m a big fan, but if you genuinely think he was doing well until recently than we will never agree. I knew he was capable of more and I knew that the Jose regime was not helping him at all but don’t pretend as you did previously that he proved himself in the big games because he didn’t. For every great performance he did nothing in many more. Also better stats and assists than KDB in his second season? I’m not sure if that’s true. But if it is, who cares. KDB was far better than pogba last season.

Jib

A europa league when we beat absolute nobodies of European football. We couldn’t have had it easier. I’m not here to pan pogba, I’m a big fan, but if you genuinely think he was doing well until recently than we will never agree. I knew he was capable of more and I knew that the Jose regime was not helping him at all but don’t pretend as you did previously that he proved himself in the big games because he didn’t. For every great performance he did nothing in many more.
He won us a european cup that we never won.
When he came back we were playing Europa League. But now CL football 2 years and soon 3 years in a row and he played a huge role in this.

And he was very good with a negative manager who tried to turn him into John Obi Mikel.

On the pitch and off the pitch, he was a success.

And now that Ole is finally trying to build the around him, maybe this very good transfer may turn into a bargain !

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
If you could have Scholes back at the same age instead of Pogba, would you take him though?

You'd be hard pushed to say yes.
tl;dr No

Do you think Scholes at the same age could have the same level of impact on us at the minute as Pogba is doing? I struggle to believe so.

I never saw Scholes when he was younger, i started watching properly back when he was around 30 in 2003.

Based on that, as good as Scholes was, I personally think Pogba is the better midfielder. He is the best I've seen anyway. His talent is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Canagel

But bordeline flop huh.
all facts.

RMD83

He won us a european cup than we never won.
When he came back we were playing Europa League. But now CL football 2 years and soon 3 years in a row and he played a huge role in that.

And he was very good with a negative manager who tried to turn him into John Obi Mikel.

On the pitch and off the pitch, he was a success.

And now that Ole is finally trying to build the around him, maybe this very good transfer may turn into a bargain !
We won the europa league! Big deal. It completed the set and that was great. But Who did we beat of any merit? Look at this year or last year or the season before we won it. It was gift wrapped. We beat ajax in the final with an average age of 14. We beat nobody. Again you claim pogba has been turning up in the big games for 2 and a half years, he hasn’t. You claim he has better stats than KDB. Maybe he has but only a fool would claim he was better than KDB last season. The last 11 games he has been brilliant, borderline unplayable but don’t pretend he’s been a unparalleled success since he rejoined is.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He’s been exceptional since ole has been in charge but he still needs to do more in my view. Was anonymous against PSG for example. He’s not the best in the PL never mind the world, he just hasn’t done it consistently enough as yet.

Hopefully he bosses it against Liverpool and continues to improve but he still needs to be more consistent to be in top bracket.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He’s been exceptional since ole has been in charge but he still needs to do more in my view. Was anonymous against PSG for example. He’s not the best in the PL never mind the world, he just hasn’t done it consistently enough as yet.

Hopefully he bosses it against Liverpool and continues to improve but he still needs to be more consistent to be in top bracket.
Calling him anonymous vs PSG does a massive disservice to the performances Marquinhos & Dani Alves put in vs him. They were key. Best players on the pitch that night imo.

Top players can get marked out of matches sometimes. We famously done it to Pirlo with Park remember. Doesn't mean that Pirlo wasn't top class.

Last edited:

meninred

Four Four Two magazine had Pogba 9th from the current best midfielders. It was in Sept 2018.

The list was:

modric
debryne
kroos
kante
d silva
isco
tiago alcantra
Busquets
Pogba
Casemiro

haram

Four Four Two magazine had Pogba 9th from the current best midfielders. It was in Sept 2018.

The list was:

modric
debryne
kroos
kante
d silva
isco
tiago alcantra
Busquets
Pogba
Casemiro
Better than all of those.

predator

Youth NITK
He probably is on current form. With all things considered (age, ability and popularity) I wouldn't swap him for any central midfielder atm. De bruyne is probably the closest I'd consider, and thats because despite him being so good, I think he is the most gracious player playing. As it stands though, no one is as valuable as Pogba.

Theo88

He probably is on current form. With all things considered (age, ability and popularity) I wouldn't swap him for any central midfielder atm. De bruyne is probably the closest I'd consider, and thats because despite him being so good, I think he is the most gracious player playing. As it stands though, no one is as valuable as Pogba.
I kind of liked de bruyne more tha pog. Prior to his injury KDB was performing out of this world. Pog has this amazing physical skillset that puts him in front of most competition but de bruyne has these moments of magic that are honestly god like.

Thinking chelski could have had kdb salah and hazard is just mental.

Nucks

RT History Department
controlling centre midfield without the stardust and flair of the attacking midfield is pointless.
The flair and stardust of the attacking midfield is not possible without the controlling center midfielder.

Nucks

RT History Department
tl;dr No

Do you think Scholes at the same age could have the same level of impact on us at the minute as Pogba is doing? I struggle to believe so.

I never saw Scholes when he was younger, i started watching properly back when he was around 30 in 2003.

Based on that, as good as Scholes was, I personally think Pogba is the better midfielder. He is the best I've seen anyway. His talent is absolutely ridiculous.
Talent doesn't necessarily equate to better player.

First, I don't think it's fair to say Pogba is more talented than Scholes was. He's certainly more physically imposing and incorporates that into his game in a way Scholes never could. You're not going to find many clips of Scholes stiff arming one guy, and bodying another off the ball while he takes on a third man. However, Pogba still hasn't reached the level Scholes did as a distributor of the ball. Pogba is great at it, Scholes was great at in a career that spanned 3 decades. For every inch perfect pass Pogba has threaded to another player, Scholes has a dozen or more. A function of longevity.

Perhaps Scholes benefited from playing for United when it was "easy", when we had SAF, when our team was consistently the best or one of the best. So maybe his character was never tested when the chips were down, things were not going his way over an extended period of time, and Pogba has. Is it fair to compare their mentalities in light of that? Probably not, but, Scholes has the luxury of never actually letting his form drop due to personal grievances or perhaps dejection, Pogba did. When I look at Pogba, I see a supreme talent, who lacks the competitive drive of a great player. Pogba with the dysfunctional competitive drive of say Keane, or a Micheal Jordan, or a Christiano Ronaldo would be an all world force of nature. When I look at Scholes, I see a diminutive talent, who almost certainly displayed more of that competitive drive than Pogba has.

Pogba is great, he could be greater. Scholes was great, and he was great from the 1990's until the 2010's. Pogba has a long way to go to replicate that level of greatness.

Siorac

We won the europa league! Big deal. It completed the set and that was great. But Who did we beat of any merit? Look at this year or last year or the season before we won it. It was gift wrapped. We beat ajax in the final with an average age of 14. We beat nobody. Again you claim pogba has been turning up in the big games for 2 and a half years, he hasn’t. You claim he has better stats than KDB. Maybe he has but only a fool would claim he was better than KDB last season. The last 11 games he has been brilliant, borderline unplayable but don’t pretend he’s been a unparalleled success since he rejoined is.
There is a vast middle ground between unparalleled success and borderline flop.

Needham

tl;dr No
Your location id should read parallel universe.

deafepl

I don't understand everyone saying De Brunye is better because of consistency and contribution during a longer period. Pogba contributed more than De Brunye, he was winning 4 leagues in a row with Juve, is in Serie A Team of the Year for 4 years, one of the best young players in FIFA World Cup 2014, is in UEFA Team of the Year 2015, played in UCL final with Juve and won UEFA Europa League Player of the Season 2017 and played important key in winning World Cup 2018 with France.

City have insane in-depth quality, they're on another level when compared to our quality of squad depth yet Pogba almost managed to match KDB's last season, Imagine putting him in City, he'd be having Messi production of the midfielder IMO, I believe he could do much better than KDB last season if he played for City.

Toad

Eriksen has played this season as CM though. Alli, Kane and Son further ahead with Winks, Sissoko and Eriksen behind. In fact he does more defensive work than Pogba. I think Pogba is a top midfielder with extreme strengths and exploitable weaknesses, and when things go his way and he is on form he is unstoppable. Eriksen is a more stable performer and also contribute more defensively and can control a football match.

Right now Silva, Silva, DeBryune, Eriksen and Pogba deserve a mention as the best creative CM in the PL for me.
whoscored is a pretty reliable website for playing positions from when I have ever used it. That's where my info came from.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I don't understand everyone saying De Brunye is better because of consistency and contribution during a longer period. Pogba contributed more than De Brunye, he was winning 4 leagues in a row with Juve, is in Serie A Team of the Year for 4 years, one of the best young players in FIFA World Cup 2014, is in UEFA Team of the Year 2015, played in UCL final with Juve and won UEFA Europa League Player of the Season 2017 and played important key in winning World Cup 2018 with France.

City have insane in-depth quality, they're on another level when compared to our quality of squad depth yet Pogba almost managed to match KDB's last season, Imagine putting him in City, he'd be having Messi production of the midfielder IMO, I believe he could do much better than KDB last season if he played for City.
Well, I don't think many people are arguing that Pogba isn't a top quality midfielder. What he did for Juventus was one of the reasons he was a highly rated player although he did play in a team that would probably have won the league with or without him, same could be said about the world cup even though he played well.

Ever since Pogba returned to Manchester United he has picked up goals and assists, his end product as a midfielder is as good as any. He is consistently providing key match-winning moments. What I would say though is that as a midfielder he has also consistently lost concentration in marking, was consistently drifting in and out of games. He also got criticized for his contributions to big games such as the Liverpool emoji game, and I remember 2 Tottenham games when he got subbed. And although he would sometimes pull off something very few players could do after him, he would also lose the ball in dangerous areas or hold on to the ball too long.

There is more to a midfielder than goals and assists, and although Pogba is the best midfielder in the world at that there are weaknesses to his game in my view. Maybe that was down to the tactics and the team, and maybe now he will kick on and fully deserve the title of best midfielder in the world. But for me, there are midfield duties that many other midfielders do better than Pogba. Of course we can't use this as a stick to beat him with either because there are things Pogba do as a midfielder no one do better than him as well. But we can't reduce the midfield role down to goals and assists.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well, I don't think many people are arguing that Pogba isn't a top quality midfielder. What he did for Juventus was one of the reasons he was a highly rated player although he did play in a team that would probably have won the league with or without him, same could be said about the world cup even though he played well.

Ever since Pogba returned to Manchester United he has picked up goals and assists, his end product as a midfielder is as good as any. He is consistently providing key match-winning moments. What I would say though is that as a midfielder he has also consistently lost concentration in marking, was consistently drifting in and out of games. He also got criticized for his contributions to big games such as the Liverpool emoji game, and I remember 2 Tottenham games when he got subbed. And although he would sometimes pull off something very few players could do after him, he would also lose the ball in dangerous areas or hold on to the ball too long.

There is more to a midfielder than goals and assists, and although Pogba is the best midfielder in the world at that there are weaknesses to his game in my view. Maybe that was down to the tactics and the team, and maybe now he will kick on and fully deserve the title of best midfielder in the world. But for me, there are midfield duties that many other midfielders do better than Pogba. Of course we can't use this as a stick to beat him with either because there are things Pogba do as a midfielder no one do better than him as well. But we can't reduce the midfield role down to goals and assists.
You are expecting Pogba to play role of 3 players. He isn't a super man, no midfielder does that.

He is in the team for his creativity, same like KdB. No one cares whether KdB tracks back and tracks the runners. Likewise no one cares whether Fernandinho creates chances or score goals.

Pogba's record in big games is very good. Obviously he had few very poor games but overall his record in big games is very good.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
You are expecting Pogba to play role of 3 players. He isn't a super man, no midfielder does that.

He is in the team for his creativity, same like KdB. No one cares whether KdB tracks back and tracks the runners. Likewise no one cares whether Fernandinho creates chances or score goals.

Pogba's record in big games is very good. Obviously he had few very poor games but overall his record in big games is very good.
Sorry if it sounded like that. What I meant is that Pogba is imo one of the best midfielders in the world, but just having better goals/assist ratio doesn't necessarily prove that he is better than other midfielders who excel at other parts of the game. I think KdB for example is a more complete midfielder who is better defensively and I also think he makes less mistakes than Pogba, and I think this is an important aspect of being a midfielder. I don't mean to criticize Pogba too much, I think he is absolutely top class, but I also think he wasn't put in a position to succeed under Mourinho. What he is showing now is world class form, and I am enjoying watching him play. In my view he is the most lethal midfielder in the world.

TsuWave

it always comes down to that regarding Pogba. The scrutiny he's under is madness, people often dismiss his creative output because he's not doing Kante/Makelele levels of defensive work. Then the flat track bully accusations despite him consistently coming up with the goods in big games.

The guy is clearly the best midfielder around right now, but because PSG beat United and Marquinhos managed to contain him in that one game, everything else he did/does gets forgotten.

another thing that I noticed recently in these discussions on social media is well illustrated here:

rpg

tl;dr No

Paul Scholes wouldn't dribble past players like Pogba did. Passing range Pogba is a tad better. But Paul Scholes long range thunderbolt goals from outside the box is legendary. Defensively i felt Scholes is definitely better.

roonster09

Scout
Sorry if it sounded like that. What I meant is that Pogba is imo one of the best midfielders in the world, but just having better goals/assist ratio doesn't necessarily prove that he is better than other midfielders who excel at other parts of the game. I think KdB for example is a more complete midfielder who is better defensively and I also think he makes less mistakes than Pogba, and I think this is an important aspect of being a midfielder. I don't mean to criticize Pogba too much, I think he is absolutely top class, but I also think he wasn't put in a position to succeed under Mourinho. What he is showing now is world class form, and I am enjoying watching him play. In my view he is the most lethal midfielder in the world.
How is KdB better defensively? Pogba also wins aerial duels as part of defensive set pieces and open play, KdB lost possession most times than anyone in the league, so how is he doing important aspect of midfielder better than Pogba? IIRC KdB's pass completion percentage is lower than Pogba and he is around 80% which is not something you want from a midfielder.

I just feel people expect lot of things from Pogba which they don't from other midfielders.

roonster09

Scout
it always comes down to that regarding Pogba. The scrutiny he's under is madness, people often dismiss his creative output because he's not doing Kante/Makelele levels of defensive work. Then the flat track bully accusations despite him consistently coming up with the goods in big games.

The guy is clearly the best midfielder around right now, but because PSG beat United and Marquinhos managed to contain him in that one game, everything else he did/does gets forgotten.

another thing that I noticed recently in these discussions on social media is well illustrated here:

Yeah, the expectations on him to play several role, all at once is just amazing. I don't think there is any CM who makes driving runs like Pogba does, especially in the last mins of the game.

Treble

Sunday is a big occasion for Pogba to silence the doubters. He should do much better than he did against PSG where he wasn't poor but not great either.

Pogba should perform in the biggest games and also not be a liability defensively wise. KDB covered most distance in the group stage of the CL last season and his pressing game was on a different level to Pogba's. A complete midfielder should help in defence too and not give away the ball cheaply.

LiteralDave

Sunday is a big occasion for Pogba to silence the doubters. He should do much better than he did against PSG where he wasn't poor but not great either.

Pogba should perform in the biggest games and also not be a liability defensively wise. KDB covered most distance in the group stage of the CL last season and his pressing game was on a different level to Pogba's. A complete midfielder should help in defence too and not give away the ball cheaply.
City team has been built and trained to press, whereas United aren't. So of course KDB will press better than Pogba.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
How is KdB better defensively? Pogba also wins aerial duels as part of defensive set pieces and open play, KdB lost possession most times than anyone in the league, so how is he doing important aspect of midfielder better than Pogba? IIRC KdB's pass completion percentage is lower than Pogba and he is around 80% which is not something you want from a midfielder.

I just feel people expect lot of things from Pogba which they don't from other midfielders.
Pass completion percentage can mean many things, both DeBryune and Pogba will try to cut open defenses with their passing so it's expected that they lose possession. This is my opinion which I am basing this on what I have seen from watching the two players in the PL. This season DeBryune haven't been that great from what I have seen, but it is fair to point to injuries, just as it was fair last season with Pogba. Maybe some people expect too much from Pogba, and I don't understand how people don't rate him, and his recent form has been incredible. But over the whole of his United career so far I still maintain that he has shown immaturity in possession, kept the ball too long (of course also because of lack of movement ahead of him), lapses in concentration and lack of defensive positioning etc. This has massively improved since Ole came in and he got a slightly different role, and he has always had good number in terms of goals and assists. Great player.

TRUERED89

Why cant we? Pogba is now playing as a CAM, with Matic and Herrera behind him. He doesn't need to do anything more than score and assist, he doesn't need to track bad constantly (even though he still is, and very well). He's doing his job superbly, and doesn't need to do anything much different to what he's currently doing. He's the best at what he does, no one can be 10/10 every game. Did anyone see Ronaldo against Athleti? he was fecking shite (only 1 CL goal this season too), doesn't mean he's not the best...

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Yep.
Keane the water carrier is a better midfielder than Zico because the brazilian scored and assisted a lot.

Irish people with Roy Keane are sometimes :houllier:
Keane a water carrier? Yeah right!
I could just as easily said Scholes or Pirlo or Modric.Pogba just isn’t that type of player.
Zico was a 10 by the way not a midfielder.

OL29

Talent doesn't necessarily equate to better player.

Perhaps Scholes benefited from playing for United when it was "easy", when we had SAF, when our team was consistently the best or one of the best. So maybe his character was never tested when the chips were down, things were not going his way over an extended period of time, and Pogba has. Is it fair to compare their mentalities in light of that? Probably not, but, Scholes has the luxury of never actually letting his form drop due to personal grievances or perhaps dejection, Pogba did. When I look at Pogba, I see a supreme talent, who lacks the competitive drive of a great player. Pogba with the dysfunctional competitive drive of say Keane, or a Micheal Jordan, or a Christiano Ronaldo would be an all world force of nature. When I look at Scholes, I see a diminutive talent, who almost certainly displayed more of that competitive drive than Pogba has.

Pogba is great, he could be greater. Scholes was great, and he was great from the 1990's until the 2010's. Pogba has a long way to go to replicate that level of greatness.
This is why it's always difficult to discuss players from previous generations, people either forget or willingly ignore their indiscretions, this is the same Scholes who was fined for refusing to play in a league cup came, having been temporarily demoted from the first team due to poor form. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/nov/08/newsstory.sport7

If Pogba did the same thing, his reputation would never recover, but modern players are scrutinised in a way that player from that generation never were. The way people discuss Scholes on this site you'd think he dropped a 10/10 performance every week for 25 years while never once getting on the wrong side of Ferguson. It creates unfair and realistic expectations on players like Pogba and it's because of that that he'll never get the credit he deserves.

Saffron

The way people discuss Scholes on this site you'd think he dropped a 10/10 performance every week for 25 years while never once getting on the wrong side of Ferguson. It creates unfair and realistic expectations on players like Pogba and it's because of that that he'll never get the credit he deserves.

I found a poll thread in the archive from 2006 about our best midfielders. Keane crushed him in the poll numbers and Scholes isn't even in the top 3.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/best-united-team-central-midfield.130367/

I love Scholes, great player. But the unfettered Xavi-like adulation he gets nowadays is a bit much. It doesn't match up that well with how he was seen when he was actually playing.

Personally I would take Pogba over him.

OL29

I found a poll thread in the archive from 2006 about our best midfielders. Keane crushed him in the poll numbers and Scholes isn't even in the top 3.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/best-united-team-central-midfield.130367/

I love Scholes, great player. But the unfettered Xavi-like adulation he gets nowadays is a bit much. It doesn't match up that well with how he was seen when he was actually playing.

Personally I would take Pogba over him.
Same here, I'd honestly call Scholes my favourite player, even went to his book signing, I just think there's a massively false perception surrounding him these days. The way people discuss him on these forums makes him sound like the most complete and consistent cm of all time.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Pogba is just not the best midfielder in the world. However if he can keep up his form under OGS, he will definitely be the most productive. He's had flashes of brilliance under mou but was mostly underwhelming. Lets see if he can keep this up.