Pogba is the best midfielder in the world

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Scholes was a truly great player for United.Won it all including 10 premier leagues.Scored 20 + in 02/03.
Of course he did have Keane beside him and Becks & Giggs on the wings.
Had quality behind and in front of him too.
Would be interesting to see Pogba in that team.

Slik

Absolute tosh! While he’s a supremely talented footballer he’s not a great midfielder, not sure if he even is a midfielder.He simply dosn’t get hold of games and dictate them in the way a great midfielder , Keane for example , would.
Are you intentionally being ignorant or you don’t know there re different roles in midfield? You mentioned Keane dictacting games . Yes he does dictate games , but does he score and assist anywhere as much as Pogba does? Pogba doesn’t play in a role where he is supposed to dictacte the play. He plays in a role where he is to affect things in the final third. That doesn’t make him better or worse than Keane. It’s different roles.
I am glad for what Ole said today in his press conference
And I quote

“With his physical presence, great close technique, the diving header against Chelsea, he can also spray passes. I don't think that's his best position but he can do that as well.”

The last part was in reference to him dictating the play from midfield. We all know with his range of passing, he can do that, but that will only limit him. He is better when he is attacking, scoring and assisting. And lest I remind you thats the most important things in football . You score more than you opponent, you win.

List of players Pogba shouldn’t be compared with:
Makelele
Kante
Viera
Busquets
Pirlo
Fernandinho
Xavi
Etc... they play different roles.

Pogba can be fairly compared to
Debruyne
Ericsson
Modric
Iniesta
Zidane
Lampard
Gerrard
Scholes

Some of the above are attacking midfielders. I know. But Pogba is closer to being an attacking midfielder currently than he is to being a holding midfielder who dictates the tempo.

So stop expecting him to be the one who dictates the tempo. Matic needs to do that or we get in and upgrade to do that. Pirlo occupies this role at juve. Busquets at Barca and Fernandinho at city. Debruyne, iniesta, Pogba, they float about. They don’t sit and dictate.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Are you intentionally being ignorant or you don’t know there re different roles in midfield? You mentioned Keane dictacting games . Yes he does dictate games , but does he score and assist anywhere as much as Pogba does? Pogba doesn’t play in a role where he is supposed to dictacte the play. He plays in a role where he is to affect things in the final third. That doesn’t make him better or worse than Keane. It’s different roles.
I am glad for what Ole said today in his press conference
And I quote

“With his physical presence, great close technique, the diving header against Chelsea, he can also spray passes. I don't think that's his best position but he can do that as well.”

The last part was in reference to him dictating the play from midfield. We all know with his range of passing, he can do that, but that will only limit him. He is better when he is attacking, scoring and assisting. And lest I remind you thats the most important things in football . You score more than you opponent, you win.

List of players Pogba shouldn’t be compared with:
Makelele
Kante
Viera
Busquets
Pirlo
Fernandinho
Xavi
Etc... they play different roles.

Pogba can be fairly compared to
Debruyne
Ericsson
Modric
Iniesta
Zidane
Lampard
Gerrard
Scholes

Some of the above are attacking midfielders. I know. But Pogba is closer to being an attacking midfielder currently than he is to being a holding midfielder who dictates the tempo.

So stop expecting him to be the one who dictates the tempo. Matic needs to do that or we get in and upgrade to do that. Pirlo occupies this role at juve. Busquets at Barca and Fernandinho at city. Debruyne, iniesta, Pogba, they float about. They don’t sit and dictate.
What makes you say I’m being ignorant? I accept he’s a supremely talented footballer I just don’t believe he’s a midfielder in the traditional sense.
A midfielder gets on the ball and knits it all together, links defence and attack.Dictates and dominates .Pogba is not that type of player.

Rish Sawhney

What makes you say I’m being ignorant? I accept he’s a supremely talented footballer I just don’t believe he’s a midfielder in the traditional sense.
A midfielder gets on the ball and knits it all together, links defence and attack.Dictates and dominates .Pogba is not that type of player.
Maybe in 1995. Most midfielders nowadays are way more specialized than that. Even Roy Keane for all his virtues was never the "dictates and dominates" kind. He was more the "kick the opposition whenever they come close and give the ball to more skilled players" type. Keane's style was much closer to Herrera than Pogba. Do you consider Herrera a better midfielder than Pogba as well?

Jib

Maybe in 1995. Most midfielders nowadays are way more specialized than that. Even Roy Keane for all his virtues was never the "dictates and dominates" kind. He was more the "kick the opposition whenever they come close and give the ball to more skilled players" type. Keane's style was much closer to Herrera than Pogba. Do you consider Herrera a better midfielder than Pogba as well?
I'm starting to feel that a lot of fans don't say it loudly but think that Herrera is better because " he gets the club ".

Slik

There re loads of midfielders who don’t knit it all together or dictate the midfield. You seem to ignore there are different roles in midfield. That’s why I said you are ignorant. Those who dictate the tempo and others attack. Those who do all of, don’t do all at equal levels. Example with how much Pogba assists and scores, he can sit back to dictate tempo, because then he won’t be able to assist or score as much. An example is lampard. What I wrote was very detailed. And I am basically repeating.

Sauldogba

He won us a european cup that we never won.
When he came back we were playing Europa League. But now CL football 2 years and soon 3 years in a row and he played a huge role in this.

And he was very good with a negative manager who tried to turn him into John Obi Mikel.

On the pitch and off the pitch, he was a success.

And now that Ole is finally trying to build the around him, maybe this very good transfer may turn into a bargain !
I thought the general consensus was he was a flop and overrated.
I remember plenty of people saying he was a waste of money in his first season.
And lets be real him winning europa player of the tournament was political.
Wasnt better than Fellaini or Mkhi.

Tarrou

Keane was definitely a dictate and dominate kind

Owen06

Keane was definitely a dictate and dominate kind
Since when did Keane turn xavi?
The Keane I remember was closer to herera than a xavi or Alonso, he's famous for his combative style not his supreme talent on the ball, people just rewrite history nowadays.

El Jefe

He's not the best midfielder in the world but he's well on his way to being so. It's inevitable IMO. Like most people have said, he needs to perform at this level for much longer.

Pogba is easily the most talented midfielder in the world but his problems have been putting all of his physical and technical qualities to use in the same game. Finally Ole has unlocked both of these abilities and his improved massively in all facets of his offensive and defensive game. If he continues this level, being the best in the world is a formality because no other midfielder has as much ability as he does.

Spoony

The People's President

:lol:

Keane was a Robbie Savage...

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
There re loads of midfielders who don’t knit it all together or dictate the midfield. You seem to ignore there are different roles in midfield. That’s why I said you are ignorant. Those who dictate the tempo and others attack. Those who do all of, don’t do all at equal levels. Example with how much Pogba assists and scores, he can sit back to dictate tempo, because then he won’t be able to assist or score as much. An example is lampard. What I wrote was very detailed. And I am basically repeating.
You miss my point. That is what a midfielder does, knits the play together, dictates tempo, retains possession.Assisting and scoring are other players jobs.There aren’t different roles that is the role .
Pogba is a superb attacker but not a good defender and not a great midfielder.
Enough .

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
In a word yes, Herrera is a better midfielder than Pogba.He has better positional sense , defensive awareness,leadership , football nous.
Pogba is more technically gifted but Herrera is a better midfielder.
If you don’t believe Keane was the dictates & dominates kind I suggest you watch a few games from his era again.Juve v United or Arsenal V United from 99 spring to mind.

Apokalips

Someone never watched Roy Keane play football. Maybe he was like that at Celtic or something, but Roy Keane in his prime was a sight to behold, a complete midfielder. Regularly posted 90% passing accuracy and played passes both long and short, whilst playing at pace. He was a force of nature.

Jib

In a word yes, Herrera is a better midfielder than Pogba.He has better positional sense , defensive awareness,leadership , football nous.
If you don’t believe Keane was the dictates & dominates kind I suggest you watch a few games from his era again.Juve v United or Arsenal V United from 99 spring to mind.
Deluded.

Slik

You miss my point. That is what a midfielder does, knits the play together, dictates tempo, retains possession.Assisting and scoring are other players jobs.There aren’t different roles that is the role .
Pogba is a superb attacker but not a good defender and not a great midfielder.
Enough .
There aren’t different roles? I guess you haven’t heard of the term attacking midfielder? And neither have you heard of holding midfielder? Yeah enough indeed. This is basics you should know by now.

Chairman Woodie

Is Pogba the best midfielder in the world? No. There are many roles in midfield.

Pogba will be the best in his current position if he can reproduce this form consistently. He has all the attributes. The other challenge for Pogba is learning to adapt to opposition who mark him tightly.

MDFC Manager

My word :lol:

Was Valencia also a better winger than Ronaldo because he hugged the touchline more?:houllier:

Tarrou

The Keane I remember was closer to herera than a xavi or Alonso, he's famous for his combative style not his supreme talent on the ball, people just rewrite history nowadays.
nobody ever said he was like Xavi but he controlled games

did you ever watch him live? It was majestic.

RooneyLegend

:lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I love Pogba but I don't think that he is the best midfielder in the world. In fact I don't think that there is one at the moment, there is a group of elite center midfielder that basically have the same level, players like Pogba, De bruyne, David Silva, Verratti, Modric, Busquets or Pjanic.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
What you're saying is true, but what he's famous for and what he was good at are two different things. The perfect example of that is the Juve game. He's remembered for the goals but what everyone appreciated at the time was him dictating the midfield with metronomic passing.

He was an essential part our aggressive style not only because of how effectively he won the ball back, but how quickly and intelligently used it. He was the one that ran the midfield singlehandedly for years, while Scholes played as an auxiliary attacker or Butt played the Herrera role alongside him. He very rarely wasted the ball, much like Butt. The difference was he very rarely played pointless passes either. Almost every pass was forward and purposeful. It was all just very understated. Hence why we replaced Keane with Carrick rather than Scott Parker. We replaced his quality on the ball not his energy.

He's not as good a passer as Xavi, in any sense, but then very few are. I'd say he was a better passer than Pogba is now in some ways, though. Nowhere near as capable of the creative passes and a less expansive range of passing, but when it comes to quick, short, purposeful passing to up the tempo of the game, Pogba's not there yet. That's where Keane's vision was at an elite level.

If you think that's revisionism, just listen to the commentary at the time e.g. in the Millwall game: "Here's Keane, as ever, directing the traffic towards that Millwall goal." He was recognised as the person that directed the play, not someone that just broke up the play. That's just the caricature he's picked up afterwards because of some of his most dramatic, and thus most memorable, moments.

Last edited:

MUfreak

Pogba is the best attacking midfielder in the world! His output is ridiculous.

Tarrou

Who would you compare him to?
Viera is the only one close I could compare him with really.

But I don’t think he could control a game quite like Keane, or dominate physically as well as Keane either. But Viera has other great qualities a bit better than Keane as well.

He was feck all like Herrera, that’s for sure. And don’t get me wrong I love Herrera. He was an absolute master at setting the tempo of a game which Herrera just cannot do. You can’t see that looking at highlights, like you can with a player like Xavi or Scholes, you had to be there to fully appreciate it IMO.

If Pogba has that ability as well as all his other amazing qualities there would be no debate in this thread.

mav_9me

Viera is the only one close I could compare him with really.

But I don’t think he could control a game quite like Keane, or dominate physically as well as Keane either. But Viera has other great qualities a bit better than Keane as well.

He was feck all like Herrera, that’s for sure. And don’t get me wrong I love Herrera. He was an absolute master at setting the tempo of a game which Herrera just cannot do. You can’t see that looking at highlights, like you can with a player like Xavi or Scholes, you had to be there to fully appreciate it IMO.

If Pogba has that ability as well as all his other amazing qualities there would be no debate in this thread.
But why is that even expected? You rightly laud Keane for controlling midfield but he never scored or assisted like this, nor did Xavi.

Nobody ever criticized Zidane or Kaka for not controlling the midfield.

My point is he is closer to those players. Because he can play as a CM in a 2, and does his fair share of defensive work as an attacking left sided midfielder, people expect him to play/defend like a controlling midfielder/ No. 8. The reality is like others have said is he can't play as a no. 8 and assist and score like this. Not humanly possible. Ole has picked him to play like this because the most valuable commodity in soccer is goals. Not only is he producing there he helps out a fair bit in our half off the ball.

Tarrou

But why is that even expected? You rightly laud Keane for controlling midfield but he never scored or assisted like this, nor did Xavi.

Nobody ever criticized Zidane or Kaka for not controlling the midfield.

My point is he is closer to those players. Because he can play as a CM in a 2, and does his fair share of defensive work as an attacking left sided midfielder, people expect him to play/defend like a controlling midfielder/ No. 8. The reality is like others have said is he can't play as a no. 8 and assist and score like this. Not humanly possible. Ole has picked him to play like this because the most valuable commodity in soccer is goals. Not only is he producing there he helps out a fair bit in our half off the ball.
It's not from me. I'm delighted with all that Pogba gives us. I do take your point though people seem to expect everything of him. He's not a controller and to criticise him for not doing it is unfair.

Nucks

RT History Department
This is why it's always difficult to discuss players from previous generations, people either forget or willingly ignore their indiscretions, this is the same Scholes who was fined for refusing to play in a league cup came, having been temporarily demoted from the first team due to poor form. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/nov/08/newsstory.sport7

If Pogba did the same thing, his reputation would never recover, but modern players are scrutinised in a way that player from that generation never were. The way people discuss Scholes on this site you'd think he dropped a 10/10 performance every week for 25 years while never once getting on the wrong side of Ferguson. It creates unfair and realistic expectations on players like Pogba and it's because of that that he'll never get the credit he deserves.
Pogba quit on Mourinho, however that happened, it happened. Scholes never quit on the team, not saying he wouldn't have, because the team was never in the position it was at times since Pogba is here, but, refusing to play one game isn't in anyway an equivalency.

It's also not even really about quitting on the team. It's how Pogba just doesn't demonstrate that insane competitive drive. There are times when he looks like he couldn't be bothered, and there are times when he looks like he wants to take on the world by himself. Scholes didn't have that insane drive like a Jordan had, BUT, I'm hard pressed to ever think of a serious game where he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on the pitch.

Web of Bissaka

Not yet.

Just about 2 months roughly of consistent top performances (starting around end of Dec last year 2018 to end of Feb 2019), no way that's enough.

Ridiculous high potential, but we know that already.
:devil:I'll give him a year or a season if he can perform this good! consistently overall in that time-frame before labeling him that.

In Rainbows

Pogba quit on Mourinho, however that happened, it happened. Scholes never quit on the team, not saying he wouldn't have, because the team was never in the position it was at times since Pogba is here, but, refusing to play one game isn't in anyway an equivalency.

It's also not even really about quitting on the team. It's how Pogba just doesn't demonstrate that insane competitive drive. There are times when he looks like he couldn't be bothered, and there are times when he looks like he wants to take on the world by himself. Scholes didn't have that insane drive like a Jordan had, BUT, I'm hard pressed to ever think of a serious game where he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on the pitch.
He didn't quit on Mourinho. He was one of Mourinho's best players this season. He saved Mourinho at Newcastle. The problem was Mourinho's awful man management and negative football.

criticalanalysis

What you're saying is true, but what he's famous for and what he was good at are two different things. The perfect example of that is the Juve game. He's remembered for the goals but what everyone appreciated at the time was him dictating the midfield with metronomic passing.

He was an essential part our aggressive style not only because of how effectively he won the ball back, but how quickly and intelligently used it. He was the one that ran the midfield singlehandedly for years, while Scholes played as an auxiliary attacker or Butt played the Herrera role alongside him. He very rarely wasted the ball, much like Butt. The difference was he very rarely played pointless passes either. Almost every pass was forward and purposeful. It was all just very understated. Hence why we replaced Keane with Carrick rather than Scott Parker. We replaced his quality on the ball not his energy.

He's not as good a passer as Xavi, in any sense, but then very few are. I'd say he was a better passer than Pogba is now in some ways, though. Nowhere near as capable of the creative passes and a less expansive range of passing, but when it comes to quick, short, purposeful passing to up the tempo of the game, Pogba's not there yet. That's where Keane's vision was at an elite level.

If you think that's revisionism, just listen to the commentary at the time e.g. in the Millwall game: "Here's Keane, as ever, directing the traffic towards that Millwall goal." He was recognised as the person that directed the play, not someone that just broke up the play. That's just the caricature he's picked up afterwards because of some of his most dramatic, and thus most memorable, moments.
Top post.

Keane is every bit as talented as Scholes in his own way and arguably should be a pick ahead of the ginger genius when building a team. Criminally overlooked.

He would walk into virtually every top side today.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Please out of curiosity, can you name ten midfiielders better than him?
I'll wait.
Thanks for waiting.

In no particular order: Modric, De Bruyne, Verratti, Pjanic, Eriksen, Vidal, Kante, Rakatic, Fernandinho, Thiago, Kroos, Busquets,

So that's 12 just off the top of my head...

How generous of you.
I think so too.

meamth

He did play a double midfield pivot at WC though. Dictating plays and were very defensive. He can do it all.