Pogba on the Right?

NoPace

I get the feeling that Pogba would be at his best in a free role. Unfortunately that would probably mean we couldn't give Bruno much freedom and Bruno is much better than him.
It's why Pogba to Barcelona seems like the best fit for him. Him free to attack and be a goal threat as the most attacking of the 3 midfielders, De Jong running the show and his partner which presumably will be Pjanic.

Speaking of their midfield, Busquets should move somewhere where they wouldn't make him press a ton or cover a lot of space, like Wolves.

3KDré

Not sure how well that would work. His best performances as a LM have been when we've had Shaw overlapping. Everton away in 17/18 immediately comes to mind, he was mesmeric that game. But with AWB (despite his good performance the other day) he isn't consistently good enough with the timings of his runs. It could work though if AWB improved in that aspect, if you had Pogba just floating off the right like Mata.

dal

Nomination for worst post of 2021?
Probably not, he has all the weapons to be a good footballer however his brain farts let him down.

Ole still feels Rashford is dangerous from the right and I agree. He looked menacing against Villa and to be honest he seems to be more of a dribbling threat from the right which seems very strange.

Its not a fixed position anyway as rashford showed in his goal against Wolves.

Pogba, Greenwood, Rashford, Cavani, Martial, Diallo.

I’m very happy with the above 6 fighting for the 3 forward positions and with Pogba there it gives us a bit more creativity in the final third also.

Grealish for Pogba in the summer and we are well on our way.

Andersons Dietician

Anyone remember a game where Pogba played RW/RM? It would solve a lot problems if he did but I can't remember him playing there.
I know It was only 1 game but think we looked better with Rashford on the right than the left. As for Pogba on the left, most of his best performances for us have come when he’s operated on that side. There was a game or two for Jose where he played there and he played on the left of a diamond for Juve where he’d often drift wide left.

I don’t really care if it stops Rashford cutting in on his right, if the team performs better which I think we will do if he’s not doing that all the time. It’s not like they all stick to a position anyway. They all swap around. Bruno was on the left, Pogba was central, Martial was on the right and Rashford up top at times. Or vice versa.

Rashford was a right winger at youth level so it’s not like it’s unfamiliar territory.

Olecurls99

Pogba initiated the goal vs Villa from the right side.

I remember Pogba beating Dier on the right wing to get a penalty last year vs Spurs.

Pogba could play on the right and I'm surprised Ole has not tried

...............Martial
Rashford....Bruno....Pogba
..........DM.........DM

Bruno and Pogba could interchange throughout the match. Of course, I would rather buy a true right winger.
Yeah he would be a great out ball for our centre midfielders. He'd be able to hold the ball easily against nearly all left backs with his strength. He could also roam from that position and pick up the ball unmarked 30 yards from the opposition goal. I could see this working against Liverpool this weekend. It would also mean Rashford could have a go at Arnold on the other side.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Pogba on the right is working fairly well vs Liverpool.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's playing the Hargreaves role. It's not viable as a permanent solution.

NinjaFletch

Pogba on the right is working fairly well vs Liverpool.
By what metric is it 'working well'?

He's given the ball away repeatedly (53% pass completion) been run off of for fun by Robertson, and genuinely looked like exactly what he is: a player being asked to play in a position completely unfamiliar to him to the point we changed formation half way through to try and get more out of him.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
By what metric is it 'working well'?

He's given the ball away repeatedly (53% pass completion) been run off of for fun by Robertson, and genuinely looked like exactly what he is: a player being asked to play in a position completely unfamiliar to him to the point we changed formation half way through to try and get more out of him.
Ha ha, he's been our best midfielder so far

NinjaFletch

Ha ha, he's been our best midfielder so far
If that's the case it's because of how poorly McTominay and Fred played.

I don't really think Pogba deserves criticism. I just think it's an odd conclusion to think that the evidence of that half suggests he knows how to play there (why would he) or that it gets more out of than we would from playing him where he is more comfortable.

Bwuk

Thought he played well but wasn’t comfortable there.

Kyonn

Revisiting this post Liverpool(A). Think Pogba on the right is the way forward for the rest of this season. If solves so many issues and he seems comfortable there.

davidmichael

Today was simply a case of shoe horning Pogba into the team as Ole will pretty much always play McTominay and Fred in away games against the big clubs whilst Fernandes is a given and Rashford has shown that he offers next to nothing from the right, that said Pogba was solid and disciplined in the role but it’s definitely not a realistic thing to continue and highlights our need for a right sided attacker even more.

AndyMUFC

I don't mind sticking him on the wing in certain games, though I'd definitely prefer the left to the right, but he can definitely play in the middle against Fulham and Sheff Utd.

el3mel

He had a solid performance today, but I absolutely believe this isn't his best position and we shouldn't play him there long term. He's not a winger full stop.

Judas

Open to offers
Its a bit of a waste when he's playing poorly, it's massively when he's clearly got the bit between the teeth and is looking like a game changer for us.

mav_9me

I keep asking this question. Is there any team in top 5 leagues who don't have a player for a position like we lack for our RW? This is amazing.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Pogba will be leaving this summer, he does not want to be at United. If Pogba keeps up his present form, fine, he deserves to play in any position Ole chooses for him but we shouldn't bend over backwards to accomodate him. Its a shame he didn't start to perform like he is now a couple of seasons ago, he might have made a really decent Manchester United player.
The quality of squad he was playing with were sub-standard over the last few years. He's been mostly very good since the first lockdown. Covid had an effect on him early this season.

Crashoutcassius

highlights that we need a signing in that position and have for a while.

i know people will say we spent 24m on two prospects there but at the level we aspire to be we should be signing a serious winger this summer

Nikelesh Reddy

Rashford is quality on the right. Pogba isn't a winger but can do a left attacking mid role. Martial can be left wing with Rashford right and we use Cavani or Greenwood up top (best balance).
No Rashford is nowhere near being good enough on the right and Pogba won’t solve any problems if he plays there.Pogbas failure to repeatedly track Robertson could have proved costly on another day and Rashford struggles to influence games from the right.I still feel that greenwoods a better option but for some reason it’s not really worked out for him this season.Either way we have to sign a quality RW next summer...