Pogba told the club he wants to leave

TheRedHearted

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...se-Mourinho-wants-quit-Manchester-United.html
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...ntus-bust-up-manchester-united-jose-mourinho/

Just saw this. If true perhaps if we can get £120 million plusits a good idea to let him go, as its obvious theres a big problem between him and mourinho
250 million, nothing less. 120 million? For a World Cup winner and a young talented footballer? It's pretty sad you think we would only get 120 million.

CA_vampire

He did know better than Fergie, the man was playing Rafael and Park Ji Sung as CM's. Not the point, I know.
I believe that no team can have two managers (=two bosses).

So, do you think that Woodward should fire Mourinho and offer Pogba the position of player-manager?

Otherwise, the only person that can decide who plays and who doesn't, is the manager. If a player makes suggestions about who should play, he should be relegated to the reserves immediately, as a first punishment. That's what SAF, and any manager with self-respect, would do.

And Pogba definitely did not know better than Fergie. He wasn't ready psychologically at 18, and it seems that he is not ready now either. Playing one good game and two shit games is not good for the team at all. Pampering him was a disservice to his talent.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Fergie was wrong. Pogba was ready, as his immediate stint at Juve proved that. It's ok being wrong though. Fergie was and is still United god. But we all knew that one thing Fergie had a blind spot on, was on upgrading the midfield.
Yah, Pogba has really proven Fergie wrong with his professional attitude, consistent performances and entirely non-toxic behaviour so far at United. That Fergie, I always said he couldn't judge a player. Should have sacked him and sold Goggs a decade before.

CA_vampire

Woodward said that the deal to buy Pogba had been in the works for two years, which pre-dates Mourinho by some time.
Then it's just another failed move by Woodward.

Perhaps we can cross out this season, sell Pogba, and give Mourinho complete freedom (and the money) to rebuild next summer, without any interference from Woodward. Perhaps Mourinho can ask SAF to be an advisor and mentor, those two have a good relationship. It will strengthen the team cohesion.

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

So, do you think that Woodward should fire Mourinho and offer Pogba the position of player-manager?

Otherwise, the only person that can decide who plays and who doesn't, is the manager. If a player makes suggestions about who should play, he should be relegated to the reserves immediately, as a first punishment. That's what SAF, and any manager with self-respect, would do.

And Pogba definitely did not know better than Fergie. He wasn't ready psychologically at 18, and it seems that he is not ready now either. Playing one good game and two shit games is not good for the team at all. Pampering him was a disservice to his talent.
The fact that he went to Juventus and shined, which led to United shelling out a world record fee to bring him back showed he was right and ready. You don't get to re-write history to fit your narrative.

Reddy Rederson

250 million, nothing less. 120 million? For a World Cup winner and a young talented footballer? It's pretty sad you think we would only get 120 million.
For a suspected shit stirrer that’s reported to want to leave? 120 would be a gift. World Cup winner, young and talented means nothing. It’s what buyers think they can get away with paying, and right now Pogba can be got for a sweetheart deal with all the shit going on around us at the moment.

Only thing is how much we want to sell him. Are the higher ups bothered by all the circus? Or do they just see it as promotion of the brand? Who knows, but I can promise you that no one is looking at Pogba and thinking of breaking the bank to get him. Not with all this toxic shit floating around.

joedirt87

Fergie was the one the who said Pogba was ready to challenge for a first team spot, and it's not like the team had some amazing midfield at the time that would keep him out. Yeah I remember people talking that his reserve performances should have been better for a player of his talent, but the kid was ready to get chances. Certainly more chances than Fergie gave him. Would it have changed anything if he played against Blackburn, or gotten 5-10 more appearances in the 2nd half of the season? Probably not. Raiola likely would have moved him to another club regardless.

CA_vampire

Fergie was the one the who said Pogba was ready to challenge for a first team spot, and it's not like the team had some amazing midfield at the time that would keep him out. Yeah I remember people talking that his reserve performances should have been better for a player of his talent, but the kid was ready to get chances. Certainly more chances than Fergie gave him. Would it have changed anything if he played against Blackburn, or gotten 5-10 more appearances in the 2nd half of the season? Probably not. Raiola likely would have moved him to another club regardless.
Attitude is important too. You have to listen to your manager.

Pscholes18

After this new video of them having words if you want to call it that...he's so done here...he'd feck off to Juve or Barca tomorrow if he could. We better get a pretty penny for him in Jan....United need to start looking for a proper replacement for Mourinho now and not just ring up Zidane the first chance they get.

CA_vampire

The fact that he went to Juventus and shined, which led to United shelling out a world record fee to bring him back showed he was right and ready. You don't get to re-write history to fit your narrative.
It doesn't matter. SAF would get rid of him, just because of his attitude. Another poster had this:

redIndianDevil

I think you’re being very disingenuous to Messi, Ronaldo and Hazard. Those players have single handedly won their teams matches on a regular basis. What the hell has Pogba done at United to be deemed irreplaceable?
I'm not saying Pogba is up there with those players but he is our best player.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It doesn't matter. SAF would get rid of him, just because of his attitude. Another poster had this:

That quote is meaningless, because Pogba didn't cause any trouble. He just ran down his contract and was an insignificant part of the team when he left. If you mean he would get rid of him in this year's situation, I would respond by saying that situation never would have happened with SAF and this is purely a Mourinho product, standard of his coaching at his last three clubs. Pogba is not a difficult player to deal with, never has been.

Greck

How could Pogba have told the club 7 weeks ago when till only 2 weeks ago Mourinho repeatedly said Pogba hadn't asked to leave.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Just imagine if that allowed to happen when Mou was in charge of Madrid.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...Madrid-and-failed-in-the-transfer-market.html

"He publicly criticised full-back Marcelo for making a slow recovery from a broken foot, and then lambasted Pepe for having an operation on his ankle at the end instead of at the start of the mid-winter break.

He argued with Ronaldo in the dressing room at the end of a cup tie against Valencia and famously said of Benzema, “I don't have my dog to go hunting with so I will have to take my cat” ahead of a game in which he had been forced to pick the striker.

Ronaldo appeared to turn to the bench and shout "f--- you" in Portuguese after scoring against Malaga in May, while Pepe publicly criticised Mourinho’s treatment of Spain goalkeeper Casillas, saying: “He should have shown him more respect.”

Pepe was dropped for the Copa del Rey final but, in an incident which summed up the meltdown at the club at the end of Mourinho's reign, snuck down from the stands to sit on the bench once Mourinho had been sent off. The situation had become that farcical."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/rea...n-jose-mourinho-and-real-madrid-remains-fresh

"The list of players Mourinho rowed with during his time in Spain included (but is not limited to) Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Esteban Granero, Mesut Ozil, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Angel Di Maria. Even his bond with fellow Portuguese Cristiano Ronaldo had soured by the time they parted. That list is before talking about the bitterness of his relations with the media or his criticism of La Liga referees.

After he left "by mutual consent" to rejoin Chelsea, Mourinho continued to speak regularly about Madrid in interviews. He blamed his own players for how his final season had ended in embarrassing failure. And spoke about Barcelona as the "best team of the last 20 or 30 years," which did not go down well. He told ESPN that summer that life at the Bernabeu club was "more politics than football" and said he was happy to have coached "the real Ronaldo," comments taken at the time as implicit criticism of Blancos chief Florentino Perez and the club's current talisman."

Patrick08

He shined as an attacking midfeilder with better movement in front of him. He likes to play as an attacking midfielder, with players who can cover his lethargic effort without the ball possession and ability to hold the play defensively and juventus used him to his strengths.

On the other hand we required a replacement for Scholes, a central midfeilder who can play in a two, control games, play make and dictate the play, and pogba was not ready for that, and still struggles at that.

The difference remains on how he is used, Mourinho wants him to be a commanding b2b who can both be good offensively and defensively while doing a b2b job and provide energetic bursts in the middle, pogba remains inconsistent at that. A midfeilder who looses the ball so much and struggle positionally can never become one of the greatest midfielders despite eneormours talents.

Though, Mourinho's long ball football doesn't help much I agree on that point.

wolvored

I think its nearer the mark than £250 million, that will never happen. I think how toxic the whole situation is if the club can make any kind of decent profit on him they will take it.

Seven Seas Sardines

I think its nearer the mark than £250 million, that will never happen. I think how toxic the whole situation is if the club can make any kind of decent profit on him they will take it.
You obviously underestimate Pogba's marketing power. Woody's probably jerking off looking at the numbers, no way in hell he'll let someone low-ball us for our most marketable asset. He didn't event let Darmian leave for 15m..

wolvored

You obviously underestimate Pogba's marketing power. Woody's probably jerking off looking at the numbers, no way in hell he'll let someone low-ball us for our most marketable asset. He didn't event let Darmian leave for 15m..
So you think any team will be looking at this and pay more than Neymar money for him?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...Madrid-and-failed-in-the-transfer-market.html

"He publicly criticised full-back Marcelo for making a slow recovery from a broken foot, and then lambasted Pepe for having an operation on his ankle at the end instead of at the start of the mid-winter break.

He argued with Ronaldo in the dressing room at the end of a cup tie against Valencia and famously said of Benzema, “I don't have my dog to go hunting with so I will have to take my cat” ahead of a game in which he had been forced to pick the striker.

Ronaldo appeared to turn to the bench and shout "f--- you" in Portuguese after scoring against Malaga in May, while Pepe publicly criticised Mourinho’s treatment of Spain goalkeeper Casillas, saying: “He should have shown him more respect.”

Pepe was dropped for the Copa del Rey final but, in an incident which summed up the meltdown at the club at the end of Mourinho's reign, snuck down from the stands to sit on the bench once Mourinho had been sent off. The situation had become that farcical."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/rea...n-jose-mourinho-and-real-madrid-remains-fresh

"The list of players Mourinho rowed with during his time in Spain included (but is not limited to) Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Esteban Granero, Mesut Ozil, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Angel Di Maria. Even his bond with fellow Portuguese Cristiano Ronaldo had soured by the time they parted. That list is before talking about the bitterness of his relations with the media or his criticism of La Liga referees.

After he left "by mutual consent" to rejoin Chelsea, Mourinho continued to speak regularly about Madrid in interviews. He blamed his own players for how his final season had ended in embarrassing failure. And spoke about Barcelona as the "best team of the last 20 or 30 years," which did not go down well. He told ESPN that summer that life at the Bernabeu club was "more politics than football" and said he was happy to have coached "the real Ronaldo," comments taken at the time as implicit criticism of Blancos chief Florentino Perez and the club's current talisman."
These quotes are just batshit. Never knew about those first injury ones though; similar sort of shite he’s pulled here when he accused Smalling of not being brave after breaking his toe and not being a ‘warrior’.

Benzema quotes are similar to the ‘football heritage’ debacle he pulled after Sevilla.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Wow, is there any player he didn't criticize?

Also I'm yet to see Jose taking responsibility for any loss, always someone else' mistake.

el3mel

Fergie was wrong. Pogba was ready, as his immediate stint at Juve proved that. It's ok being wrong though. Fergie was and is still United god. But we all knew that one thing Fergie had a blind spot on, was on upgrading the midfield.
The Serie A is far much slower paced than the Premier League, so requirements of being ready ro play there differ from premier league imo.

Amir

If he had stayed with Fergie I bet he could have learned him a thing or 2 about being disciplined in midfield and how to cope with fast paced league.
Fergie retired a year after Pogba left. Not a whole lot of time to learn.

All he needed once he returned to United was a manager to take his football education further.

el3mel

Fergie retired a year after Pogba left. Not a whole lot of time to learn.

All he needed once he returned to United was a manager to take his football education further.
He rejoined us on 24. His style of play has been already established for several years on playing in a slow paced league. It's not a surprise he dwells on the ball much or don't release it faster in certain occasions. In Serie A these won't be any problem. The amount of time given to you in Italy is far longer than in England and Pogba already established his form there while he was developing.

LARulz

Just saw what Carragher said, and he is spot on with how I feel about Pogba. Whilst I agree Mourinho seems to be doing his best to throw wood into the fire, Pogba hasn't helped himself. Mourinho praised him a lot at the start of the season but each time got nothing back.

This does not mean I back Mourinho over Pogba as both in the wrong for different reasons but Pogba does not seem worth the hassle anymore. Even if we chose him over Mourinho, Pogba will always be looking over at Spain with Riola as his agent

Jinn

I think if Mo really wants to prove a point, then he needs to cut Pogba from the team for a long period of time. Probably let him train and play with the reserves. We will have more bad press as usual...can't be any worse than it is now. We take the results (good or bad) on the chin and get on with playing without Pogba.
This will hurt Pogba when it comes to international games, because if you not playing for your club regularly, then no international manager worth his salt is going to select you for the national team.
We will hear all sorts of crap from he's agent, we will see a lot of negative social media videos etc. He will be bad mouthing UTD and Mo constantly.

Question is, does Mourinho have the balls to do that? I mean if he really wants to stamp he's authority he should stop being a pussy and drop him instead of creating the circus we have!

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
How many players have gone for 120m or more? 3 so far, all of them were more valuable than pogba as well. None of them were older than Pogba is either.

He went for an inflated fee when he signed, has spent 3 years going from young player on the verge of being the best midfielder in the world with plenty of years ahead of him to improve, mid-aged player who should be entering his best years but is instead on a sharp downwards curve and plenty of problems around him. Transfer fees catching up and then overtaking the fee you were willing to pay then, means you will probably make a profit on him despite all that.

A world record fee is pie in the sky stuff.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He shined as an attacking midfeilder with better movement in front of him. He likes to play as an attacking midfielder, with players who can cover his lethargic effort without the ball possession and ability to hold the play defensively and juventus used him to his strengths.

On the other hand we required a replacement for Scholes, a central midfeilder who can play in a two, control games, play make and dictate the play, and pogba was not ready for that, and still struggles at that.

The difference remains on how he is used, Mourinho wants him to be a commanding b2b who can both be good offensively and defensively while doing a b2b job and provide energetic bursts in the middle, pogba remains inconsistent at that. A midfeilder who looses the ball so much and struggle positionally can never become one of the greatest midfielders despite eneormours talents.

Though, Mourinho's long ball football doesn't help much I agree on that point.
That's not true, Pogba didn't shine as an attacking midfielder, in fact he isn't good there. For Juventus under Conte the most advanced central midfielder was Vidal. Pogba mainly played the role played by Marchisio, basically a link between Pirlo and Vidal, it's interesting that people think that he played attacking midfielder but ignore that his other main role was as Pirlo's deputy. With Allegri he also played as a left midfielder and depending on the set up he was allowed to run the channel but that wasn't common.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Then it's just another failed move by Woodward.

Perhaps we can cross out this season, sell Pogba, and give Mourinho complete freedom (and the money) to rebuild next summer, without any interference from Woodward. Perhaps Mourinho can ask SAF to be an advisor and mentor, those two have a good relationship. It will strengthen the team cohesion.
Yeah, and while we're at it, lets solve hunger and make world peace.

How many players have gone for 120m or more? 3 so far, all of them were more valuable than pogba as well. None of them were older than Pogba is either.

He went for an inflated fee when he signed, has spent 3 years going from young player on the verge of being the best midfielder in the world with plenty of years ahead of him to improve, mid-aged player who should be entering his best years but is instead on a sharp downwards curve and plenty of problems around him. Transfer fees catching up and then overtaking the fee you were willing to pay then, means you will probably make a profit on him despite all that.

A world record fee is pie in the sky stuff.
I agree, anyone who thinks he’s going for an absolute blockbuster fee needs to have their head examined.

He’s either a player that really wants out, or a player that the manager doesn’t want, or both - which puts the club in a really weak position. If he goes for anything over £100m I would be very very surprised.

ErranMorad

I agree, anyone who thinks he’s going for an absolute blockbuster fee needs to have their head examined.

He’s either a player that really wants out, or a player that the manager doesn’t want, or both - which puts the club in a really weak position. If he goes for anything over £100m I would be very very surprised.
He has a long term contract with us, he'll at least go for Coutinho money.

He has a long term contract with us, he'll at least go for Coutinho money.
I would agree if he wasn’t causing any trouble at the club, and didn’t have a conflict with the manager. If we are getting rid of him because it’s not worked out, then we won’t get a premium price for him. The market has cooled somewhat as well - Neymar, Coutinho and Dembele were all a result of Neymar’s release clause and Mbappe is the best talent in 10 years. £100m and no more, for ultimately a player who has largely failed.

ErranMorad

No club in their right mind would pay that much for a player with half the quality.
Please don't let your love for Jose blind you of Pogba's qualities. You think Barcelona or Juventus are after a player who is not even half of Coutinho's quality? You are either being facetious or are insane.

I would agree if he wasn’t causing any trouble at the club, and didn’t have a conflict with the manager. If we are getting rid of him because it’s not worked out, then we won’t get a premium price for him. The market has cooled somewhat as well - Neymar, Coutinho and Dembele were all a result of Neymar’s release clause and Mbappe is the best talent in 10 years. £100m and no more, for ultimately a player who has largely failed.
Didn't Coutinho refuse to play for Liverpool or pulled some shit of that sort? He also finally left in the winter after agitating the whole time.

We don't want to get rid of him. It'll be him wanting to quit like Coutinho. He is one of the best central midfielders in the game and is only 25 years old. We'll get a good chunk for him.

If Pogba goes, it would be good for the team, he holds on the the ball for far too long, slows down the team.

Last edited by a moderator: