Gaming Pokémon Strumfest

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
Ah right, awesome. Well yeah, it's pretty savage now!

In fact, i just got attacked by a horde of Yanma and one of them was getting the same speed boost after every round. So i killed all the rest and caught that one. I've never seen a Yanma before though so it's probably fecking shite.

EDIT: wait, i have seen them before :lol:

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Ah right, awesome. Well yeah, it's pretty savage now!

In fact, i just got attacked by a horde of Yanma and one of them was getting the same speed boost after every round. So i killed all the rest and caught that one. I've never seen a Yanma before though so it's probably fecking shite.

EDIT: wait, i have seen them before :lol:
Worth training one up, Yanmega are pretty beastly, if you don't mind a fragile defence. IIRC all you have to do is level one up while it knows Ancient Power.

TheSamulator

Worth training one up, Yanmega are pretty beastly, if you don't mind a fragile defence. IIRC all you have to do is level one up while it knows Ancient Power.
Yeah i looked it up. Think i'll definitely train it up at some point but might leave it a little before i try. Or i could just stick it in my party and forget about it i suppose. It'll level up with EXP share.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Just caught Xerneas with the 3rd Ultra ball, thought it would be way harder than that.

TheSamulator

Finally got one! Managed to catch a Bagon, Spoink, Espurr and an Oddish on my little travel too. Man, that was a ballache.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Are you all playing online or have you adults actually went and bought a Pokemon game?

I'm really struggling to decide whether this thread is better, worse or simply as bad as the wrestling one. It's certainly in the category of things grown men should've grown out of when they put their willy in a woman.

TheSamulator

I'm really struggling to decide whether this thread is better, worse or simply as bad as the wrestling one. It's certainly in the category of things grown men should've grown out of when they put their willy in a woman.
I'm ok to be playing it then! Result!

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Granted I'm not the Pokemon generation. But I'm pretty sure I'd stopped playing with my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by the time I was allowed to buy my own clothes.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I've not played it since I was young (Red :drool:), but the game itself was released before the cartoon and the franchise took off. It was just a great RPG in its own right back then and I can't imagine that anything's changed.

Just because it was adapted into something childish doesn't mean the games themselves are; Uncharted/Tomb Raider wouldn't become childish if they made some sort of silly series for Cartoon Network out of them.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
This thread brought back the memories, so I checked online yesterday and downloaded Pokemon Yellow for the PC, the good old days.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Are you all playing online or have you adults actually went and bought a Pokemon game?

You watch your mouths!

mufcwarm92

I haven't played any of these ones but given this is a strumfest I just thought I'd mention how brilliant Blue and Silver (and to a lesser extent Emerald) were. I was still young at the time but I thought it got a bit wank beyond the third generation with some of the shite new Pokemon. I definitely understand grown men playing these, they're ridiculously addictive. If I had all the gear I definitely would, albeit in private... And tell no man of my foolish ways.

Anyway, my silver team were the shit. No one fecked with the unbeatable combination of Blastoise, Alakazam, Snorlax and Tyranitar.

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
On the back of this thread I went out to CEX and bought myself a cheap DS Lite and SoulSilver which I now can't put down! I'd forgotten how good these games were.

My Pidgey is a badass.

TheSamulator

Yeah, you guys had the best ones. Waldner, Silver and Gold were probably my favourites so SoulSilver was a great pick! I'm actually going to get HeartGold myself once i'm done with X. Really awesome games.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Got properly addicted again and started a gold save.

PS Surely there's never been a more annoying gym in the history of pokemon than Whitney/Miltank in goldenrod?

Nickosaur

So how do the new ones (X and Y) compare to the ones I used to play (Red/Blue and then Yellow)? Obviously I'm a bit older now and kinda moved into console gaming, but I still have fond memories of playing this for hours, makes me miss having a Gameboy.

I guess there's obviously loads more Pokemon, and the battle system is still pretty much the same?

TheSamulator

Oh man, the 3rd Gym is a joke if you've got a Honedge. Absolutely none of any of the trainers attacks can damage him and Sword Dance and spam of Aerial Ace finishes each Pokemon off in about one hit. Easiest Gym i've ever done.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Just had someone from the Newbies PM with a couple of their friend codes, I've added theirs into the OP for anyone who wants more.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I just went into one because I assumed it was the way to the next town, turns out I got all the way to the end to find a fecking room with some cnut out front telling me I can't go in until I beat the champion.

cnut.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I just went into one because I assumed it was the way to the next town, turns out I got all the way to the end to find a fecking room with some cnut out front telling me I can't go in until I beat the champion.

cnut.
:lol: It could have been worse, it could have had loads of puzzles like the Ice Path.

TheSamulator

Anyone got to full affection with a Pokemon yet? I've got my Honedge to full affection and my Lucario. Apparently it gives a fair few buffs in battle and some different animations. Takes a fecking long ass time though! Think i'll do it with all in my main party eventually.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Anyone got to full affection with a Pokemon yet? I've got my Honedge to full affection and my Lucario. Apparently it gives a fair few buffs in battle and some different animations. Takes a fecking long ass time though! Think i'll do it with all in my main party eventually.
Nah I haven't looked into that kinda stuff yet, I'm blasting through the game and then I guess look into it deeper.

Also anyone seen this? :lol:

TheSamulator

Nah I haven't looked into that kinda stuff yet, I'm blasting through the game and then I guess look into it deeper.
It's quite cool actually, different battle text too. It said about me and Honedge being so in sync that he landed a critical. And everytime it's waiting for me to choose what to do next it says 'Honedge is awaiting Skeldys instructions' rather then the usual.

EDIT: Also just had Honedge paralysed and then a turn or two later it said something like 'Honedge used all it's energy to break out of paralysis so that Skeldy wouldn't worry'

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I wouldn't mind a Chespin or a Charmander if you've been breeding them already (I know it's much to ask but as I said, if you've been breeding already), but apart from those two I've no preferences really since my brother has Y so I'm able to get the exclusives easily really.
Just got the egg for Chespin so it'll be ready in however long it takes to hatch!

Ralaks

Just got the egg for Chespin so it'll be ready in however long it takes to hatch!

Ace. If you have a Talonflame in your party it takes half the time due to Flame Body! I'm on my way to the 7th gym now, no idea when I'll get the Ditto though.

TheSamulator

I've just got my 4th gym badge. It was piss easy again, Honedge tearing shit up. He evolved as well, he's Doublade now. Just need a Dusk Stone to evolve him for the last time.

Also got Charmeleon's affection up to max. Not sure why i've done that though because sooner or later i'm going to have to box one of him or Blaziken and at the minute, it's looking more like it'll be Charmeleon.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm finding this game a bit too easy so far, 4.5 hours in, I've made it to the cave at the end of Route 10 (I think) and I haven't lost a single battle. My Braixen is incredible and Ivysaur isn't too shabby either, I'm barely using any other Pokemons at the minute though. I think I need to take another approach or else I'm going to stroll past trainers with ease and there won't be much challenge.

It's highly enjoyable but I need some challenge!