[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I would welcome Zidane, but before he comes people need to realize his tactics is 100% dependent on crossing so that no one moans about the over use of crossing if he ends up here. Just to be sure.
At least he will buy a right winger, so there is that.

Beagle

Too early, but either way, it's got to be Zidane. He'd come here, and win the CL in a heartbeat.

If we're as big as we say we are, we should just take Pep from City.
We're not. And it's about time we gave it to Giggs anyways.

Revan

Assumptionman
Allegri for his coaching ability and seemingly being a personality/traditionalist who s right up United's alley - Zidane because he d bring the hype to compete with Pep and Klopp and could likely help us attract some of the world s biggest names a bit easier than Mou might be able to now.
Those two you mentioned, and Jardim would easily be my top 3 choices, and look to me the most sane choices.
Because without a doubt he's one of the best managers in the world and I've enjoyed watching his Atletico sides over the years. He's done an amazing job there.
How is possible to enjoy watching Atletico? They are essentially us, win a bit more but play even more boring. Root for them against Barca and Real, sure, but enjoy how they play? Never thought I was going to see someone say so.

willhse456

I'm not in the Mourinho in or out camp. I think he's been fairly average during his time here, however I want our next manager to have a good brand of entertaining football. We have so many quality players, which I feel are held back a bit with this system. I don't care if they've only been managing for 5/6 years and haven't won much, I just want to watch United games and be on the edge of my seat again!

Champagne Football

Pochettino for me is the only choice. If we can't get him then Zidane. More managers will emerge. I was all for Jose sticking around for a while some months back but when he starts throwing toys out of the pram then it usually doesn't end well a little further down the road so yeah thoughts of who next are becoming more common again.

AlwaysRed66

I wouldn't want Simeone at any cost. Cannot think of anyone worse, & make the last three managers seem attacking. People keep saying the wonderful job he is doing at Atletico, yet last season scored 10 less league goals (58-68) than Mourinho achieved here, with our so called poor defence, struggling attack & negative tactics.

TheRedHearted

It needs to be Zidane. How is he not on the poll? I would welcome Guardiola but my theory was that he will retire at Manchester United. People called me crazy but I could see it happening.

I think Mourinho would be a wonderful director of football because he wouldn't be eyeing short term success. He would have more time to scout, to talk, to negotiate (which he is good at).

I also think he needs a break from management at the moment. He's too in his head (although I loved how vibrant he was on opening day so who knows). He could still spend a couple of years here, depending on how Champions league and the league turn out. I know everyone is eyeing City to do just as well, but I saw many games last season that they won in the last minute. That won't always happen. Not saying we will beat them (I actually fancy Liverpool for the league this year), but I don't think it's a guaranty they are going to walk the league again.

Greck

Heard zidane doesn't have the most sophisticated attacking tactics, that the quality players for the most part make it up. Any truth in that? Surely a manager that wins 3 CLs must be doing something other managers can't

el3mel

Heard zidane doesn't have the most sophisticated attacking tactics, that the quality players for the most part make it up. Any truth in that? Surely a manager that wins 3 CLs must be doing something other managers can't
He'll do a good job as long as we get him good wide players.

Josep Dowling

I really don’t get the stick Poch gets and for me is the clear next manager of choice.

How can he have won trophies at Southampton?

Then at Spurs he has taken a team struggling to make Europe into certain top 4 contenders with an English core of players. Many of whom were not big names until he arrived at Spurs.

With the current club constraints on finances due to the stadium it’s a miracle they have been able to compete with the other top 6 over the last 3 years.

I know many fans joke they are bottle jobs but they shouldn’t even be in contention for trophies in the first place. There may be some naivety with his tactics, especially against the top European clubs. How is that any different to the conservative tactics of Mourinho which ultimately got us knocked out by Sevilla last season?

Smores

I really don’t get the stick Poch gets and for me is the clear next manager of choice.

How can he have won trophies at Southampton?

Then at Spurs he has taken a team struggling to make Europe into certain top 4 contenders with an English core of players. Many of whom were not big names until he arrived at Spurs.

With the current club constraints on finances due to the stadium it’s a miracle they have been able to compete with the other top 6 over the last 3 years.

I know many fans joke they are bottle jobs but they shouldn’t even be in contention for trophies in the first place. There may be some naivety with his tactics, especially against the top European clubs. How is that any different to the conservative tactics of Mourinho which ultimately got us knocked out by Sevilla last season?
We don't need a manager to work with a smaller budget, its irrelevant. For the last two seasons he's had a top quality squad with the best striker and second best creative midfielder in the league and not only have they not challenged last season they scored a grand total of 6 goals more than us. I'm always shocked how thats acceptable to those who complain about our scoring rate.

I voted Allegri but Zidane would be a close second both have proven themselves as capable winners.

SteveW

Voted Poch but it needs to be Zidane. Winner who would play proper football. Imagine Zinedine Zidane as our manager :devil:

Mainoldo

Only thing I’ll say against Zidane is he didn’t really do a good job against the pressing of Poch and Klopp. But he does play good football. I might be wrong but who has he developed?

izec

Allegri, Simeone, Zidane. If they can play some attacking football and win, great. We dont have to score 100 goals per season, but give me some thrill

King Kana

Supports
Chelsea
Laughable thread. A lot of people seem to be getting giddy over managers based on name and hype. Have some of you watched Allegri’s games completely? Have you done your proper research on Zidane? How are you sure they are the right fit for you, considering the squad available?

Some people are in for a rude awakening when United switches manager, I’m afraid.

Mainoldo

Laughable thread. A lot of people seem to be getting giddy over managers based on name and hype. Have some of you watched Allegri’s games completely? Have you done your proper research on Zidane? How are you sure they are the right fit for you, considering the squad available?

Some people are in for a rude awakening when United switches manager, I’m afraid.
Rude awaking? Have we been slipping through the last 3? lol.

Bojan11

Real Madrid and Barcelona achieved incredible things with inexperienced managers. Why can't it work for us?
Real Madrid and Barca are in a two team league maybe three at times. Their squads are filled with world class players and the worst that can happen is they finish 3rd or 4th if things get bad.

We have 5 other rivals. Then the other teams below them spending crazy. So this comparison to what the above two do doesn’t work for me. We not as dominant as them.

PvsNP

Zidane is fond of crossing, so we'll need good wingers and fullbacks if he comes. Tbh, he seems a bit tactically naïve from what I've seen, although I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Poch is the new Moyes. Won feck all but ticks many of the supposed boxes. Would do my head in thinking that he’s above winning any competitions.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Real Madrid and Barca are in a two team league maybe three at times. Their squads are filled with world class players and the worst that can happen is they finish 3rd or 4th if things get bad.

We have 5 other rivals. Then the other teams below them spending crazy. So this comparison to what the above two do doesn’t work for me. We not as dominant as them.
Totally agree. I have to keep saying the same thing repeatedly.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Allegri, Simeone, Zidane. If they can play some attacking football and win, great. We dont have to score 100 goals per season, but give me some thrill
I am sorry but have you ever even watched Athletico play. If you think Mourinho is bad, simone is another level up. It is basically win every game 1-0.

USREDEVIL

Pochettino for me is the only choice. If we can't get him then Zidane. More managers will emerge. I was all for Jose sticking around for a while some months back but when he starts throwing toys out of the pram then it usually doesn't end well a little further down the road so yeah thoughts of who next are becoming more common again.
This is where i'm at as well. Once someone dons the United badge, i'm in. But that honeymoon period only goes so far. We knew Mourinho has a history of antagonizing players and starting internal wars that end in disaster, but i gave him the benefit of the doubt. That is gone now.

USREDEVIL

Not watched too much of Real Madrid. What's zizou's tactical style? What formations does he use and what's his general play like? Also, managing Real Madrid, "los galacticos" is not necessarily a good yard stick to measure how good a manager is in general. For example, if i have the fastest car at the track by a mile, i bet i can win most races even against better drivers.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Poch is the new Moyes. Won feck all but ticks many of the supposed boxes. Would do my head in thinking that he’s above winning any competitions.
So would you have taken Ranieri?

Kearnkoff69

If you're here for attacking football, Simeone is the last manager you want. I'd rather not tune in to our games than watch him turn every single game into a defensive drill and war of attrition.

izec

I am sorry but have you ever even watched Athletico play. If you think Mourinho is bad, simone is another level up. It is basically win every game 1-0.
If you're here for attacking football, Simeone is the last manager you want. I'd rather not tune in to our games than watch him turn every single game into a defensive drill and war of attrition.
Nah, not the most attacking, but not like Mourinho either. Simeone plays with more pressing and he has some decent attacking play. He is no Guardiola, but watching Atletico is more entertaining than Mourinho, even if it is not always provided by attacking football

SecondFig

Still want Poch, but I'd be happy with Zidane - just for the fun of it. Not convinced he's a great manager, and I think a lot of his success at Real came from having a great squad and being lucky, but equally you've got to be pretty miserly to deny him some credit for winning the CL 3 times in a row!

Don't want Simeone - great manager, but I've had enough of defensive football.

And regardless of whether we get Poch, Zizou or someone else, I want a DoF above them

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Nah, not the most attacking, but not like Mourinho either. Simeone plays with more pressing and he has some decent attacking play. He is no Guardiola, but watching Atletico is more entertaining than Mourinho, even if it is not always provided by attacking football
Disagree. If they are losing, they attack, as does any team with good players. But it is out of necessity in that they need a goal. If a simone team goes one goal up, regardless of whether it is against Barcelona or Southampton, the philosophy then is to defend that lead and win 1-0. If you want attacking football, simone is the last manager you hire.

Minimalist

Zidane does sound tasty now.

Then again, knowing us he'd come in and be absolutely shite. :lol:

el3mel

Not sure some of our fans will be able to handle Zizou’s shrewdness in the market, he won’t make muppetry decisions.
We will need a DOF to handle transfers anyway. Zidane or Allegri they are both useless in th market. After Mourinho a DOF will be a must.

That's not the problem. The problem will be if we will be able to bring him some good wide forwards and full backs. His attacking game plan is based on crossing. He won multiple CLs by abusing Marcelo, Carvajal and Ronaldo up front. I have seen several Madrid games the previous 2 years in which they put more Crosse in the box than Moyes did against Fulham, so if we are to bring Zidane we will a full new set of wingers and full backs that can dribble and attack, and will be good to go. We have a good header up front in Lukaku.

The major advantage of bringing Zidane will be Pogba that's for sure.

Marcus

Zidane. He already knows how to build successfully on a Mourinho team .

L1nk

Is this who will come in, or who do we want to come in.

Personally? If the club isn't taking to Mourinho's style, if we are thinking of going back with a more attacking style, and, say this is Mourinho's last year then I could see us going for Pochettino or Tuchel who would have only a year left on his PSG contract.

Zidane could be a good shout but unless there's some revelation this or next summer, manager wise, I cannot see us picking someone out of left field, Jardim perhaps could be an outsider chance.