g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Yes, although his football is of the same school as LVG I do believe he has a clear vision for his squad, he will buy a good 23 for the next one in 3 years time.

Member 5225

Jose talking about United/LVG etc when he first arrived:

Looks dignified here

Sheldon69

This isn't an argument to make you reconsider your stance, or maybe change you mind mate, because everyone is entitled to their opinion - and that's fair enough.

But wrt the part quoted above, he fell out with the players/ upper management at Real Madrid and Chelsea - clubs that have a history of players running the show in collusion with the presidents who have their own favorites, and keeping managers on a short leash - with a list of insta-sacked managers that includes Champions League winners Juup Heyneckes and Carlo Ancelotti; La Liga winner Fabio Capello, two times Champions League/ La Liga winner Vicente del Bosque, and Manuel Pellegrini. Since the ousting of Del Bosque in 2003 (for reaching the semi-finals of the Champions League, and winning La Liga - how very dare he!) - Real Madrid have appointed 12 managers in 12 seasons - and José lasted the longest. At Chelsea, they appointed 7 different managers in 6 years between Mourinho I and Mourinho II. So we must consider the modus operandi of the cubs he's managed. At Porto, he had to leave because the players were going to get poached, and they were not at the elite level of European football. At Internazionale, the call of Real Madrid was too enticing to resist (no one can resist Madrid because of their history and accomplishments, plus he would have the chance to overtake Pep in the league - which he did in his second season).

Also, José is a very complex character - but people only see the bad in him, and it's imperative that we understand what makes him act in certain ways. This is someone who was told he didn't have the physique to be a footballer like his father Félix Mourinho. He was a scout, a youth team coach, a coach in god knows what division of Portugal with Estrela da Amadora, a translator, a training coach, an assistant. He worked his way from the very bottom - step by step, after being considered a failure as a footballer, and people like that always have a tendency to be snappy when they taste success because they always think they have something to prove to the naysayers. This is why he is so bitter towards Barcelona (who still consider him to be a mere interpreter for Bobby Robson). This is why he's petulant and arrogant - something that was fueled even more because of his meteoric success.

However, for the first time in his career, Mourinho has faced major failure as a manager - first at Real Madrid and now at Chelsea. There's a train of thought that says he's a broken man, or he's taken a step back and will never be the same; but I honestly believe all these events (and the poor health of Félix Mourinho because of brain surgery) will make him reconsider his stance as a manager, and maybe humble him a bit. Then you talk about United, and we indulge our manager - give him the sort of power he wouldn't have at Madrid or Chelsea under Florentino and Roman - something that was the root of superficial issues at both clubs. Plus, even back in 2004, Mourinho said he wanted to manage United and Liverpool at England. When was the last time he said something disrespectful towards United? Never, right? His biographer said he was distraught after David was appointed as Fergie's replacement. This is the job he's wanted, and the timing couldn't be better - a disgraced manager joining forces with a club that has lost its hallow, so to speak.

Also, wrt the pragmaticism part too - in all his seasons as a full time manager, José has never finished outside of the league's top 2 in terms of scoring apart from the 2013/ 2014 season at Chelsea - where they finished 3rd. That's a hell of a record for someone who's been stereotyped as a defensive coach primarily because of his big game tactics where being cautious can be the difference between winning and losing - because margins are wafer thin. Even Fergie's United played some dreary football for the first half decade of his tenure, our first League winning team under him was extremely functional; and again in Europe after THAT defeat to Real Madrid. So it's not like United has always played champagne football, even under Fergie. If we get Mourinho the attacking pieces he needs, he can build a beautiful counter-attack like he did with Madrid (who averaged 108 league goals per year under him, and set a new record for goals in a Liga season).

His career overall is a bit misunderstood IMO, and he's just a very easy character to hate (in the genuine sense of the term - not pop lingo) because of his pompous nature - which can color objective arguments (not saying you weren't objective in the assessment mind, far from it - and again it's just a matter of opinion, which is perfectly fine).
One of the best posts I've read on here

hobbers

The overly-defensive argument doesn't even feature on the radar when it comes to scrutinising Mourinho for me.

Did the people waving that stick ever see how SAF set us up against City, Chelsea, in all four games against Barca and two against Real?

It's a hallmark of a manager with common sense. Even Pellegrini is willing to set City up to defend and nick goals on the counter, just look at how they approached their last two visits to OT.

Hitchcocker

I'd like to see Guardiola try those expansive tactics without the star-studded teams he's inherited at Barca and Bayern.

hobbers

I'd like to see Guardiola try those expansive tactics without the star-studded teams he's inherited at Barca and Bayern.
Guardiola's philosophy is Van Gaal's philosophy when executed by world class players.

Henry quotes recently that Guardiola's message was always that he would take them up to the final third, but it was always their job to come up with the goals. Basically the root of all our problems this season. When you don't have Messi, Villa, Henry, Lewandowski and Muller at your disposal is when that kind of philosophy hits the rocks.

El Zoido

The longevity argument doesn't come in to it for me. He wants to settle in England, this is his footballing home. He'd just signed a four year deal at Chelsea and surely would have extended that for as long as they were willing to have him. Regardless of what happened to Chelsea this season, he's an elite manager and we need to move now to secure him or be left with the Giggs experiment for the forseeable future.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Guardiola's philosophy is Van Gaal's philosophy when executed by world class players.

Henry quotes recently that Guardiola's message was always that he would take them up to the final third, but it was always their job to come up with the goals. Basically the root of all our problems this season. When you don't have Messi, Villa, Henry, Lewandowski and Muller at your disposal is when that kind of philosophy hits the rocks.
Yep, agreed.

This weird idea that van Gaal would stifle a trio of Lewandowski, Muller and Robben (for example) baffles me.
What would he tell them?
Stop taking up positions in tight spots where you can hurt the opposition most? Stop being really accurate while also playing at a faster pace than everyone else? Stop dribbling past people with ease? Stop executing quick passes with each other?

redshaw

If we appoint Jose, I just hope we can have the patience till the summer and start from there.

Lets say he comes soon, the results are bad and we even drop to midtable and there's more trouble with players not liking whatever. We really have to give him a fresh start no matter where we finish and I don't think he should accommodate Ryan Giggs. I feel everyone who is linked to Fergie are too quick to shake their heads and not all pull in one direction and there's a lot of backchat and undermining going on.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Tomorrow could be an interesting atmosphere.

Both Chelsea and United fans singing for Jose Mourinho.

Bojan11

Our pathetic board are going to give him a lot to do when we 12 points behind the top four teams and then sign him up.

Loon

:lol:
My number one choice when Ferguson left. Now I'm absolutely terrified at what might happen if he comes, but what's going on at the club now is pretty horrific anyway.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Article sent to me by a City fan in the newbies: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-exploring-a-rapid-return-to-Real-Madrid.html

Jose Mourinho to wait on Manchester United job before exploring a rapid return to Real Madrid
Former Chelsea manager is more inclined to wait and see how United situation develops before considering a quick return to the Bernabeu

• Madrid express interest in bringing Mourinho back at some point
  • Mourinho unwilling to revise his opinion that a swift return to Madrid is not in the best interests of his career or personal life
  • Mourinho's attitude could change if it turns out Madrid is his best chance of a return to management in next six months
  • Meanwhile Mourinho waiting to see how things develop at United
  • Mourinho spent some of last few weeks with friends fishing off the coast of Setubal, now he's left Portugal on a family holiday
  • Mourinho not currently interested in an international job

Sunday Times (via Duncan Castles - isn't he a noted Mourninho mouthpiece) ran something similar this morning
Talking up chance of Mourinho to Real Madrid, my guess is someone's agent has spoken and is trying to put pressure on United to remove LVG and bring in Mourinho, there can be no doubting he covets the Old Trafford job

Eddy_JukeZ

He has 'another LvG' written all over him. Time for Giggs.
Giggs has Moyes 2.0 written over him.

The club can't take that risk.

And I know Mourinho would be a risk too after the current season Chelsea had, but it's most likely an anomaly and not the norm. He guarantees trophies. We need that now.

Dante

Average bang
Giggs has Moyes 2.0 written over him.

The club can't take that risk.

And I know Mourinho would be a risk too after the current season Chelsea had, but it's most likely an anomaly and not the norm. He guarantees trophies. We need that now.
And LvG wins the title in his first season.

Sigma

I think I'm one of the few Utd fans who actually likes Mourinho.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I think I'm one of the few Utd fans who actually likes Mourinho.
Few? It's been Mourinho/KloppCafe on here for a while. Vocal support went down temporarily during the Eva stuff but then some caf members said she was sleeping with the players or something and stood up for him and the support for him has increased again

Revan

Assumptionman
Trying to work out how a manager gets sacked and within days finds himself sitting pretty choosing between two of the biggest clubs in the world for his next job.
Work harder. Or think harder and you will find the answer to that question.

Asger

Guardiola will get us playing proper football again but if we wait until the end of the season, we could miss out on top four again. Jose may not get us playing attractive football but he gets results and ends up winning trophies sooner or later.
Or he could flop just like LVG with possession tactics in the PL.

Revan

Assumptionman
In the minority at least if the poll is an accurate sample.
More than half voted yes in the poll 'Would you want Mourinho as manager of Man Utd'.

Which I think is batshit crazy. If we were near as wise as we claim to be, it should have been well over 90%.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
More than half voted yes in the poll 'Would you want Mourinho as manager of Man Utd'.

Which I think is batshit crazy. If we were near as wise as we claim to be, it should have been well over 90%.
I think the main reason it's that low is because many still think we'll be able to get Pep.

Fitchett

Great post by Invictus yesterday.

People keep saying that Mourinho will last only three years here if appointed. If that materialises, that will be better than having two managers in the last two and a half years, who had six and three year contracts respectively!

mbb8

He has 'another LvG' written all over him. Time for Giggs.
Lol. He just won the league by extracting every last bit of force left in an aging squad.

6 months later and he's 'another LvG'. Jesus. It may be good for some of us to go another few years without a trophy to realize how batshit crazy it has gotten.

mbb8

Well, Pep has worked with a much better players than LVG has last few years so we never know.
Messi, Iniesta, Henry, Zlatan, Robben, Robbery, Lewandowski are about as good as Depay, Rooney, Martial, Mata, and Herrera.

So, Pep will do just fine. Our 70% possession will rise to 75%. Brilliant.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo

Exactly. How anyome can call mourinho's tactics similar to van gaal's is simply idiotic.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Lol. He just won the league by extracting every last bit of force left in an aging squad.

6 months later and he's 'another LvG'. Jesus. It may be good for some of us to go another few years without a trophy to realize how batshit crazy it has gotten.
Other than Terry and Ivanovic who else in that Chelsea squad was "aging".

mbb8

Other than Terry and Ivanovic who else in that Chelsea squad was "aging".
Lol. Thats the freaking core of Chelsea. Their Captain and Vice-Captain. The entire system depended on them. Its why he bought Matic and played Willian out wide.

Once those two dropped off, the whole thing fell apart. Jose wanted players to replace them but was denied by their board. They overestimated their players.