Poll: Does it make sense to tie Pogba down to a new long term contract?

Should we give Pogba a new contract?

• Yes

Votes: 107 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 640 85.7%

• Total voters

Caesar2290

No. Making a player who misses out on a ton a games through injury every season is as bad as it gets. Couple that with the fact he's very inconsistent with his performances, and it's a very bad idea to make him our top earner.

pre Munich Red

Has never’earned his corn’ on the pitch.
Even if Utd. made money on him commercially, he is still not worth the trouble.
Ferguson saw through him years ago, and as for Raiola….
Rooney has no time for him and neither do many supporters.
Disappointed he is still at OT.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Could it not make sense for both us and him with a short contract? Maybe Real Madrid could be an option next summer?

I mean, PSG? If it is about money, then I’m sure that is fine…
It definitely wouldn't make sense for him. His value isn't going to go up, in terms of demanding a huge contract. This is the last major pay day. I'd be surprised if he couldn't get 200 maybe even 250 elsewhere, given he's arriving for "free" (Raiola tax) but he's not going to get what has been floated likely by his camp in terms of signing a new deal, 450-500K a week (parity with Ronnie?).

For him if it's about money the most sense is to hope United still are so desperate to keep him that we'd dramatically increase his deal. But I genuinely think (thought) his ambitions are more about trophies and being recognised as a world class player.

hungrywing

Let’s reward a big contract to a serial underperformer who habitually brings the club into disrepute because, despite his best efforts, he can’t find anyone else that wants him. No thanks.
On the back of overwhelming fan support, Manchester United Football Club are delighted to announce a new partnership with Kellogg.

According to fan spokesperson Zen86, Paul Pogba is an excellent performer who 'habitually' puts on 'his best efforts' 'despite' being put 'into disrepute' and who can 'find anyone' (on the pitch) who in turn then give him 'thanks'.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I don't buy those reports. He's only just started training under Rangnick, while under Ole he had a manager who shielded him from every single bit of criticism, even when his agent was dragging the club through the mud on the eve of an important match. While Rangnick has put a stop to his holidays to Dubai while injured and would likely - just like Jose - not allow him to travel away from matches in his Rolls Royce, rather than the team bus, as it's all about the collective.

If those reports are based on anything from his camp, it is because United is the only club where he can realistically get a contract that he does not merit in the slightest.

I'd be very surprised to see Rangnick green light a 400-500K deal for him.
He and his agent have clearly found that the market for his services isn’t as hot as they thought and the best deal on offer is probably at United. Hence the whole “so impressed with Rangnick” spin.

redshaw

We'd have to see how he does.

I'd offer him a contract extension that he's already on if he performs well but this is his chance to go elsewhere. If the wages aren't that big at other clubs he should still go. We shouldn't be offering 400k. If we do then Bruno should be on that as well and we start a lot of expensive problems but more importantly his playing time and performances don't warrant that wage and clubs all around are trying to lower wages.

This could be a bit of a feeble attempt to get more money out of Madrid for example but we've seen other clubs aren't breaking their neck to get him so they call the shots on the wages and can stick to 200k. Perhaps if he can be incredible in this second half of the season then he can get his bumper contract in Spain or wherever.

Belisarius

He and his agent have clearly found that the market for his services isn’t as hot as they thought and the best deal on offer is probably at United. Hence the whole “so impressed with Rangnick” spin.
I completely agree with this. A lot of clubs would take him with reasonable wages. But, nobody is willing to give him a big contract anymore. So, all of a sudden he loves Rangnick and wants to stay at United. I wouldn't mind if we offer him a new contract, but it should be on about $100k/week less than he earns now.

daveskimufc

I’m interested to see how he does in rangnicks midfield 3. He should NEVER get a payrise. Sends out completely the wrong message since it hasn’t been earned. Should offer slightly less salary and top up with performance bonuses

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think if one is being realistic and putting feelings aside, a player of his profile, with his marketing pull, can probably reasonably demand 200-250k a week in todays market. Anything above and beyond that should be performance related for goals, assists, appearances, and honours (individual and collective). A guaranteed 350-450k for Pogba is madness. He simply doesn’t deliver regularly enough to warrant it and the jury is still out on whether he fits in the team.

I have no issue with him earning 450k a week as a key part of a highly successful team unit, and that’s where performance related pay comes in. At his age anything more than a 4+1 contract term is borderline financially negligent.

RedIan

Feels like he has been injured more often than fit in recent years.. unreliable with erratic form when he is occasionally fit, goes from brilliant to crap..
I’d be happy to see him Sold on for a decent fee.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Are there any other lines of work where you can get a potential pay increase like this for effectively nothing? Of course there aren’t any suitors and that’s why he’s about turned. It’s ludicrous if United offer him this. He club and the fans are being taken for fools.

Ghostrider318

His best position is as the most attacking / advanced player in a midfield 3 ( unless there is a Kante beside him , then hes fine i guess ) which we dont play and that position is occupied by Bruno nevertheless. He spends a fair few weeks out injured every season and to top it off his brothers, his agent cant stop mouthing of to the press. He probably wants to become of the highest paid players in PL while barely or rarely putting in performances which justify that.

Losing him on a free would hurt but putting him on 4-500k pw or something insane and dealing with the continued BS makes no sense. Time to move on

90 + 5min

We need to get rid of these kind of players where focus is all over place.

We need simple hardworking players. No fashion, no social media, no nonsens. Just pure football. The quicker we sell or get rid of this kind of overrated players the better.

Red For Ever

Has never’earned his corn’ on the pitch.
Even if Utd. made money on him commercially, he is still not worth the trouble.
Ferguson saw through him years ago, and as for Raiola….
Rooney has no time for him and neither do many supporters.
Disappointed he is still at OT.

I didnt know that about Rooney
What's the reason for that?

red4ever 79

We need to get rid of these kind of players where focus is all over place.

We need simple hardworking players. No fashion, no social media, no nonsens. Just pure football. The quicker we sell or get rid of this kind of overrated players the better.
We need to get rid of all these high maintenance players who bring nothing but gossip and constant uncertainty. Get rid of him and would honestly prefer we start blooding the youth and do a complete cultural reset.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If he gives us 9/10 or 10/10 under Rangnick, he deserves a new contract imo and then tell him to sack the fat agent. I don’t know, I’m just desperate for quality player who has good heart especially after Greenwood’s case yesterday.

RedDevil@84

f he gives us 9/10 or 10/10 under Rangnick, he deserves a new contract imo
Only to see his standards drop after signing.

A new deal for him makes absolutely no sense. It will be super costly and too long and he has spent almost 2 seasons out of 5 injured. It is highly likely that it will get only worse. We need to give up on this dream of an awesome Pogba playing every game at highest level and all. It is not going to happen.

L1nk

We would be much much smarter to invest in round pegs in round holes in our midfield, in which there is many, once we get rid of these high paid overrated players like Pogba, we can reinvest this in midfielders with much lower wages and save a hell of a lot of money. What has Pogba done to earn 450k a week at this club? Nothing

arthurka

He will probably play out of his skin until the summer. New contract will see him drop back to Pogba the vanishing act.. so no for me.

dave1956

By all means offer him a new contract, but at least a 50% wage cut or a pay as you play contract and given his injury record over the last 3 seasons, I believe for the club a pay as you play contract is the best way forward. Though I doubt he would agree to either terms be interesting to see his reaction because at this moment in time I think both he and his agent have seen the light that no one is willing to at least meet the wages he is on at Utd., let alone increase them even with the advantage of a free transfer.

Banana Republic

It would be far better value and we'd get far more benefit on the pitch, if Pogba was allowed to walk away on a free and his wages were spent on a couple of good CM's.
They wouldn't even have to be world beating, just competent, highly effective and reliable.

It's not a disaster at this stage, to just let him walk away.
Signing him up to a new contract, even on the same wages and terms as now, would be more of a disaster.
Giving him £350k -to £400k pw would be an almighty catastrophe.

No miracle turn around will come from agreeing a deal with him.
It'll be more of the same, until age and time does it work.
He can't keep fit or injury free now and a 3 year deal would take him past 32 yrs old.

TheLord

It rarely happens that a player doesn't get a significant payrise when negotiating a fresh contract when the old one has nearly ended.

(except in ageing (30+) or extremely injury-prone players).

And with our 'negotiation skills', I doubt that Pogba won't get a payrise if he signs a fresh contract with us.

honirelandboy

I wouldn't give him a cup of coffee
I'll sums up United here now in two sentences. Here's the first one.
We have too many players on huge wages that no one wants, hence why there all going out loan.
Here the second
Without Bruno United are a top six club and none of our players would make the city or Livepool teams and that's why we finished 33 points behind Liverpool and are currently 19 behind City and 80% of our of supporters are in cloud cuckoo land thinking we have any chance against them to win a trophy

USREDEVIL

What a terrible idea :houllier:. We've seen enough years of him to know what we're getting and the price tag doesn't make sense.
Gone for at least 1/3 of the season due to injuries. (this will only get worse at this point due to age)
Good performances for maybe 10 games, the rest, mixed or sometimes poor.
When the dust clears, the goals and assists, and overall contribution is badly lacking.
Ain't about what you "can" do. All about what you "do" do.

I aint no hater btw. I was ecstatic when we got him back. Got me a No. 6 shirt in my closet. But i am a realist.

Tyrion

What a terrible idea :houllier:. We've seen enough years of him to know what we're getting and the price tag doesn't make sense.
Gone for at least 1/3 of the season due to injuries. (this will only get worse at this point due to age)
Good performances for maybe 10 games, the rest, mixed or sometimes poor.
When the dust clears, the goals and assists, and overall contribution is badly lacking.
Ain't about what you "can" do. All about what you "do" do.

I aint no hater btw. I was ecstatic when we got him back. Got me a No. 6 shirt in my closet. But i am a realist.
I defended him for a fairly long time but he's underperformed under multiple managers now. He should be moved on asap. No serious club would look to resign him.

MrEleson

Are these quoted 400-500k per week before or after tax? And what is he on now?

SoCross

If we don’t need to break our salary structure, we should keep him. Good midfielders are hard to find and if he goes as well, we need to bring in at least 3 midfielders in the summer (to replace Pogba, Matic & displace one of McFred). That simply won’t happen. Hannibal might get a run out but that’s not certain.

But no way should we make him our highest earner.

copen1945

Unfortunately, his bargaining position has been strengthened. Actually, the board made it so through their inaction during the transfer window. United will have to pay what he asks for his contribution on the footballing and marketing aspects of the club. Until recently, there were four highly marketable players, Pogba, Rashford, Ronaldo, and one more. For various reasons, Ronaldo might need to fade into the background a bit. So, Pogba and Rashford will have to get United back to a stable platform before the permanent manager comes in.

Tap

Nah, he is undoubtedly talented but is too inconsistent and seems to be increasingly unavailable for games. Besides, his agent’s shenanigans are not worth it.

If he plays well for a succession of games when he returns, I expect it to be like the Aubameyang situation where his performances plunged after signing a new contract.