Poll: Does it make sense to tie Pogba down to a new long term contract?

Should we give Pogba a new contract?

• Yes

Votes: 107 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 640 85.7%

• Total voters

sugar_kane

It's crackers that none of our fanbase seem to give a shit that our record signing is out for 2 months, and that he's likely to walk for free at the end of the season.

Almost completely justified, but still a weird situation nonetheless.

m1tch

I’d rather let him go than give him a pay rise…

In a sense, it’s a shame he won a World Cup medal because he’ll always have that to fall back on

Scholes was twice the player and some
He'll be as fondly remembered as our World Cup winning midfielder Kleberson.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Great player but a luxury. Sort of a latter day Riquelme. Not arsed too much whether he goes or stays but if it frees up money to get a couple of players better suited to what we need (I e. ones who take responsibility) then I'm all for it. Doesn't hurt that we get Pizza the Hutt out of the club along with him in my thinking I suppose.

r1z3mu

Wow, almost 90% Pogout. Says everything what fans think about him.

EtH

It's crackers that none of our fanbase seem to give a shit that our record signing is out for 2 months, and that he's likely to walk for free at the end of the season.

Almost completely justified, but still a weird situation nonetheless.
It’s madness in truth and yet completely justified.

Our record in the transfer market when spending £50m or more is shocking. And he is the poster boy of our horrible business post-SAF.

Giggsy13

No thanks. Quite possibly one of the most overrated players in history. Match winner one game, 10 games completely anonymous. Rinse and repeat. Save on the wages and go sign a midfielder for the next manager.

The Bloody-Nine

No thanks. Quite possibly one of the most overrated players in history. Match winner one game, 10 games completely anonymous. Rinse and repeat. Save on the wages and go sign a midfielder for the next manager.
Don't forget constantly trying to engineer a move away. An absolutely dreadful signing on every level.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
All through his teenage years, into his early twenties even Pogba had the capacity for greatness, technical ability, sheer physical presence and his insight, but something lacking in his make up, he never really developed or matured and now he's just become too high maintenance.

Paul's latest display (until he got pulled) against Atalanta reminded me of a grumpy kid, complaining and kicking the ground and unable to focus. For me he is not at heart a team player, he does what he wants to do, when it suits. OK, I admit when he's in the mood he can be unplayable, but most of the time he's not.
Ole's got to put on his thinking cap and start again, with no Pogba.
I love Pogba but all you’ve done in this post is make excuses for him and unfortunately you can’t get away with that at elite clubs. For what it’s worth I’ve always thought he would be brilliant in Spain and I’m gutted it’s not going to work out here but he’s been a big disappointment overall in a Utd shirt and the only person we can blame is Pogba.

Maticmaker

I love Pogba but all you’ve done in this post is make excuses for him and unfortunately you can’t get away with that at elite clubs.
I'm not really making excuses for Pogba I am simply expressing the view that despite all his physical capabilities and opportunities presented to him to develop his talents, there has always been a 'flaw' in him that neither he nor his managers, nor his coaches have been able to fully overcome.
On his day Paul is unplayable/ a world star/ etc., the problem is neither he or anyone around him seem able to predict when that sort of day will occur and increasingly this capability surfaces, less and less, in his performances.
Whilst all players have 'off days' there needs to be some level of consistency for managers to work with, Paul doesn't seem able to provide that and as you say at elite clubs its not acceptable.

Zlatattack

To me Pogba is a Robinho, lots of talent, but only occassional application.

He is more talented, and has won more, but he has that same "too chill" attitude, at least for us anyway.

I hope he stays and turns it around, but all the evidence points otherwise. I'm sure he'll be awesome wherever he goes next.

Last edited:

steffyr2

Pogba will probably be great at his next club. We don't know how to use him, he should leave.
Plus, years of being the presses' bad guy has probably made him bitter.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Has this been posted somewhere else on the caf?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pogba-ronaldo-man-utd-contract-25422622

If not I put it here and you can all have as good a laugh as I have had just now....

Basically, Pogba wants to match Ronaldo's salary, if he is to stay!

Now, this is what should happen, (even though I know it won't): Manchester United should declare publicly that he has played his last game for the club. He has in no way earned the money he has been paid over the last 5 years, let alone done anything recently to warrant a wage increase of this magnitude. They should actually come out and say this.

If this scares off future prima donnas, so be it. Utd. should play kids and players with graft & ambition and forget about all these dancers and prancers.

Please don't tell me he has been let down by the coaching and management at the club, that's just bollox.

Seriously, is there anyone on here who will come back at me and say Pogba should stay at United and earn £2million a month....

Anyone?

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Paul is a good player sometimes but he is not in Ronaldo's class. His performances are inconsistent, at times great but more often awful. He doesn't have any leadership qualities. It would be best for Utd if he left either in January or at the end of the season on a free.

Nickelodeon

Earlier I used to think that he's one of those players who will eventually show his best qualities for another team. Don't think that now. He's one of the most overrated players of this era because he just doesn't have that ability to produce his best week in and week out. He has been judged on his peak and his inability to produce that peak has been down to the club, the managers, his teammates, anyone but him. 6 years in, I can't wait for him to go so we can sign a proper midfielder who can take some responsibility and not just be a prima donna.

Twisted Nerve

He now wants to be Utd's highest earner to stay? Haha. Bye then.
He's taking the absolute piss.

Ixion

Giving the abuse he gets I'd want some obscene salary to stay too. He holds all the cards and will obviously go to another top side so he can ask for what he wants.

If I were him I'd be waiting to see if Ole sticks around and who comes in next.

Deery

Dreary
Giving the abuse he gets I'd want some obscene salary to stay too. He holds all the cards and will obviously go to another top side so he can ask for what he wants.

If I were him I'd be waiting to see if Ole sticks around and who comes in next.
What abuse does he get?

Let him go to another top side then, Pogba will still be losing the ball in midfield and giving away goals whichever manager he’s under.

Ixion

What abuse does he get?

Let him go to another top side then, Pogba will still be losing the ball in midfield and giving away goals whichever manager he’s under.

eire-red

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pogba-ronaldo-man-utd-contract-25422622

If not I put it here and you can all have as good a laugh as I have had just now....

Now, this is what should happen, (even though I know it won't): Manchester United should declare publicly that he has played his last game for the club. He has in no way earned the money he has been paid over the last 5 years, let alone done anything recently to warrant a wage increase of this magnitude. They should actually come out and say this.

If this scares off future prima donnas, so be it. Utd. should play kids and players with graft & ambition and forget about all these dancers and prancers.

Please don't tell me he has been let down by the coaching and management at the club, that's just bollox.

Seriously, is there anyone on here who will come back at me and say Pogba should stay at United and earn £2million a month....

Anyone?
What employer would come out and publicly ridicule an employee, I mean really?

I don't really have much time for Pogba, but if he is to leave you shake his hand and move on. That's all the club should do. We are much bigger than one player, which is the opposite of the message this would send...

Xtrmntr

Anyone?
Couldn't agree more

Being the best player on the pitch every now and then makes his inconsistency even harder to take. Couple that with always seeming to have one eye on his next club makes him wanting a pay rise all the more ridiculous. I wish the club would make an example of him and publicly withdraw any offer of a new contract and state the reasons why,but it will never happen.

Oldyella

Just shake hands and move on. He's not worth what he's asking, despite being incredibly talented, as he cannot produce with any consistency.

He moves on now and the next manager starts without spending wasted months trying to work out how to fit him into the side.

matt10000

Anyone?
I said get rid two years ago. Always some drama.

SAF and Keano may have sorted him out but that was a different era.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
He has done nothing to warrant even the money he's on, and he complicates our midfield. Get someone more suited to our midfield.

shinpad

I think he's an imposter being paid by rival teams to infiltrate our midfield, get shut asap.

yamo123x

Part of me says yes, and then sell to highest bidder so we get full transfer fee.

Another part of me says, get rid of the inconsistent arrogant twit and his circus and buy someone who will give their heart and soul for this club.

IWat

I said get rid two years ago. Always some drama.

SAF and Keano may have sorted him out but that was a different era.
I think SAF had made his mind up:
"It is disappointing. I don't think he showed us any respect at all, to be honest. I'm quite happy that if they [footballers] carry on that way, they're probably better doing it away from us."

stevoc

In terms of talent Pogba should be one of the top 5-10 players on the planet, certainly one of the top 3 midfielders and yet he isn't.

He's going on 29 and I still don't know what his best position is. He has the technical and physical gifts to play virtually any midfield role to a very high degree yet he rarely does and has to be shoehorned into the side as a luxury player.

I can only assume his failure to grow into a World Class player for United is down to application. So no United shouldn't give him a superstar contract when he rarely plays like a superstar. Wish him well and let him move to Spain in the knowledge he failed to make a real impact at United and ran his contract down twice.

RatPack

Part of me says yes, and then sell to highest bidder so we get full transfer fee.

Another part of me says, get rid of the inconsistent arrogant twit and his circus and buy someone who will give their heart and soul for this club.
If you say yes he will be on a pay so high nobody will bid on him.
Sell him in January. If no one want to pay then try and get someone to take him for free.
Just get him out asap.

Stevondo8

In terms of talent Pogba should be one of the top 5-10 players on the planet, certainly one of the top 3 midfielders and yet he isn't.

He's going on 29 and I still don't know what his best position is. He has the technical and physical gifts to play virtually any midfield role to a very high degree yet he rarely does and has to be shoehorned into the side as a luxury player.

I can only assume his failure to grow into a World Class player for United is down to application. So no United shouldn't give him a superstar contract when he rarely plays like a superstar. Wish him well and let him move to Spain in the knowledge he failed to make a real impact at United and ran his contract down twice.
Where’s he going in Spain? Surely Madrid will be blowing their budget on Mbappe first, and maybe Haaland too. Do Barca have any money?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
That's probably why his best hope is to con United into a final mega-contract knowing outside PSG, if that, no other will come near the wages United can/will offer.

Born2Lose

That's probably why his best hope is to con United into a final mega-contract knowing outside PSG, if that, no other will come near the wages United can/will offer.
Agreed, we did it with Rooney and De Gea so don't blame him for trying it.