Poll: Does it make sense to tie Pogba down to a new long term contract?

Should we give Pogba a new contract?

• Yes

Votes: 107 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 640 85.7%

• Total voters

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
No point to keep him. If Utd needed an attacking midfielder I would say yes but they have Bruno. I think it is time to let him go.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I would try to get 10-20 Mio for him in January. Maybe one of PSG, Real, Juventus are desperate enough and think having him for the rest of the season will make enough of a difference to pay a few bucks.

Scholsey2004

Doesnt fit in our set up imo. We'll offer a new contract to 'protect the asset' but, imo, Pogba needs to go to a club that can tactically integrate him and we need a more disciplined midfielder who can dictate play without losing the midfield shape to replace him. We've been trying to turn him into a different player since we signed him and it hasnt worked. It'd be great to see the back of Raiola as well.

Scholsey2004

I would try to get 10-20 Mio for him in January. Maybe one of PSG, Real, Juventus are desperate enough and think having him for the rest of the season will make enough of a difference to pay a few bucks.
I doubt Raiola would let that happen at this stage. He'll get a huge payday if Pogba signs for someone on a free.

Scholsey2004

He left us free once.

Why do people think he would be willing to stay here and sign a contract long term?

He is very clearly going.

Waste of money but hopefully him leaving makes our scouts go and find that player that can play as a modern deep lying playmaker as a replacement to Pogba.

He's a good player but there's just weird feeling with Pogba for me that when he goes that things line up better for us as a team.

Our weaknesses get shown more obviously as a gap that needs replacing rather than trying to get the best out of Pogba.
Brozovic on a free would be a good bit of business. About the same age and unlike Pogba he's a natural pivot.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Im not talking about dross like the players you've mentioned, I'm talking about a World Cup winning midfielder who Ole the village clown hasn’t a clue on how to manage.

Its the thinking like yours that we manage to under sell players other clubs would get decent money for.
People want us to let a player who cost the club the best part of £100m on a free rather than tying him to a new contract and selling him...laughable.
Go support whichever new club Pogba joins than.

He's a fecking waste of money and pandering to him is a symptom of how low the club has fallen. Getting rid of him is a good step towards recovery.

norm87cro

Enough of the set up excuses he just isn't very good despite his techincal ability. The here and there trough ball just isn't good enough for the english game. With the exception of Italy and PSG I don't sea his making an big impact in Spain either. So not good enough for two best leagues in the world and some people still call him world class. 10 to 15 mil, a lighter wage bill and we should be happy

minoo-utd

If Pogba only gives us one season of his commitment like we see him with his French international team then he deserves it. But Pogba never did that and never will do it here, he just doesn’t care and should be benched till the end of the season.

Widow

He's never really been suitable to how we've played over the past five years. People will say he's been mismanaged ect.. But he has to take some responsibility too.

Good player but it's never worked out.

Let him go

redsunited

He should have signed the contract by now. Lately the way the former United players talk as pundits about him means he is set to go. If we are lucky, we will get 15-20m in January. Most likely he and his greedy agent will leave on a free for big sign on fee.

OleBoiii

Pogba is an odd player. The critique may seem harsh at times, but the main reason for why he gets so much shit is because of his undeniable talent. It's frustrating to watch how much must click for him to unlock just 80% of his potential.

Is it lack of focus? Is it laziness? Is it because he's not so good at the non-flashy aspects of football? Or did Mourinho and Ole simply expect too much from him? It's hard to pin down the exact reason. It might be a combination of all of them.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I see people blaming Ole but they forget Mourinho also has a go. He’s been tried in various positions and been protected by various players but we just can’t unlock his consistency.
now it’s clear he’s not prepared to sign a new contract so why are we debating what to do? The answer is as clear as the nose on @esmufc07 face

Reactions: esmufc07

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

He's a fecking waste of money and pandering to him is a symptom of how low the club has fallen. Getting rid of him is a good step towards recovery.
While I get that it hasn't worked as well as we'd have all wanted and it's time for him to go, I don't see it linked with the recovery of the team as you put it.

This club has so many issues starting from the ownership and management that letting go of Pogba will be a drop in the ocean.

Getting rid of him will calm a lot of the fanbase because there is a lot anger and disappointment generated by him but as long as Ole stays, as long the club is set up the way it is and we have these leeches of owners then United will still stay the same club it is. Only big by reputation and fanbase

Idxomer

I see people blaming Ole but they forget Mourinho also has a go. He’s been tried in various positions and been protected by various players but we just can’t unlock his consistency.
now it’s clear he’s not prepared to sign a new contract so why are we debating what to do? The answer is as clear as the nose on @esmufc07 face
So two poor managers.

The answer to the question is no, it doesn't make sense for this team or for Pogba either.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
At this stage its clearly doesn't make sense. Yes there is 100% an argument that the guy is the most naturally talented player in the squad, but Pogba right now should be in his prime a mature experienced player, and he isn't.

For all the talent he has you are lucky if you get 1 good game in 3. He will be 29 at the end of the season, and still doesn't really have a position.

He has never been able to show he can play in a midfield 2, as he just makes silly mistakes in his own half and at times just goes completely missing from the game. So unless you play a formation where he is not critical to the team functioning it's an issue.

Do we really want to give this guy the contract he is bound to want, pay him into his mid 30's, the smart money would be if we did that we would have a Sanchez or Ozil situation on our hands.

No its time to cut and run, if we get any kind of offer in January sell, and if not let him go for free in the summer.

redmanx

It amazes me that some people seem more concerned about Pogbas "needs" than they are Uniteds. I dont care where Pogba goes, just as long as he does and the sooner the better.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I've seen different reports, from the club having tried to extend his deal for 3 years, to him not having been offered a deal yet as he's not indicated a willingness to sit down. Then of course there's been the reports that he's open to staying and happy to play alongside Ronaldo.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses

Great logic!

100m player let him go on a free instead of tying him down to a new deal and selling him.
Thank god we don't have some one like you running the club we’d be bankrupt by your principles.

Stevondo8

Great logic!

100m player let him go on a free instead of tying him down to a new deal and selling him.
Thank god we don't have some one like you running the club we’d be bankrupt by your principles.
Who you selling him too? Not like he’s been quiet about wanting to leave before yet nobody has come in for him. Nobody wants to buy him.

Plus, financially, he’s not a 100m asset, his value will depreciate over the term of his contract, so letting him go in a free is the equivalent of disposing of a fully depreciated asset, so no impact on the accounts really.

romufc

Great logic!

What's the alternative? Just because you made a 90m mistake, you should make more mistakes?

To get Pogba to sign a new contract would be minimum 350k a week, lets say 4 year deal. Thats £72m deal over 4 years.

To pay that for someone who has done nothing, 5 years later wondering how to fit Pogba in a team ?

YOu mention Ole, but clearly forget it was Jose who fell out with him and dropped him too because he cannot play that midfield role.

So what if he is a world cup winner? He plays in a 2 pivot for France btw. International football is completely different to Club football as well.

If we had people like you running the club, we would be mid table at best with the highest wage bill. If Pogba is not working out, who cares if he goes for free? He is not worth the wage he is on.

redmanx

Great logic!

We'll go bankrupt if we keep paying inflated wages to players who fail to perform, time and time again, season after season, ad infinitum!

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Who you selling him too? Not like he’s been quiet about wanting to leave before yet nobody has come in for him. Nobody wants to buy him.

Plus, financially, he’s not a 100m asset, his value will depreciate over the term of his contract, so letting him go in a free is the equivalent of disposing of a fully depreciated asset, so no impact on the accounts really.
What's the alternative? Just because you made a 90m mistake, you should make more mistakes?

To get Pogba to sign a new contract would be minimum 350k a week, lets say 4 year deal. Thats £72m deal over 4 years.

To pay that for someone who has done nothing, 5 years later wondering how to fit Pogba in a team ?

YOu mention Ole, but clearly forget it was Jose who fell out with him and dropped him too because he cannot play that midfield role.

So what if he is a world cup winner? He plays in a 2 pivot for France btw. International football is completely different to Club football as well.

If we had people like you running the club, we would be mid table at best with the highest wage bill. If Pogba is not working out, who cares if he goes for free? He is not worth the wage he is on.

Do you think its wise to let a player who we could possibly get 50/60m for if we signed him to a new contract?

Don't know why theres fans on here who think its ok to let a £100m player leave on a free, when we could sell that player (after agreeing him to a new contract) in the summer or swapping him for a player we want. This logic baffles me!

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
We'll go bankrupt if we keep paying inflated wages to players who fail to perform, time and time again, season after season, ad infinitum!
Sign him to a new contract and sell him next year...its not a hard decision! Folk want him moved on a free, thats the way to actually bankrupt us!

Reddevil1978

Let him go it's time to move on. Truth is it was time to move on years ago.

romufc

Do you think its wise to let a player who we could possibly get 50/60m for if we signed him to a new contract?

Don't know why theres fans on here who think its ok to let a £100m player leave on a free, when we could sell that player (after agreeing him to a new contract) in the summer or swapping him for a player we want. This logic baffles me!
Do you actually think a team will pay £50m for Pogba in the summer just after he signed a new deal? And pay his wages which could be 400k plus?

What happens when you can't find a buyer? Keep a player on the bench ? Sometimes you have to take the L and move on.

You don't spend more money rectifying a mistake by throwing more money at it.

Also, renewing Pogba's contract is not just saying here you go new wage, new contract, you have to pay agent fees, with Railoa could end up being 20/30m anyway.

Stevondo8

Again, who are we selling him too if he signs a contract? Fella running Madrid doesn’t fancy him, Barca have no money, Psg are probably the only club who would pay him what we’d be paying him, but no guarantees they would want him.

If you can guarantee me that someone will buy him for 50/60m, then fine, that’s obviously the sensible way to go. I just don’t see that buyer out there and think we’ll be stuck with another Sanchez situation.

And, he’s only a 100m player if someone is willing to pay that. Nobody is. Otherwise he’d be gone already.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Do you actually think a team will pay £50m for Pogba in the summer just after he signed a new deal? And pay his wages which could be 400k plus?

What happens when you can't find a buyer? Keep a player on the bench ? Sometimes you have to take the L and move on.

You don't spend more money rectifying a mistake by throwing more money at it.

Also, renewing Pogba's contract is not just saying here you go new wage, new contract, you have to pay agent fees, with Railoa could end up being 20/30m anyway.
Im pretty sure Juventus PSG and Real Madrid would be interested!

Just because some fans think he’s shit doesn't mean the whole football world does!

There is value in a World Cup Winning midfielder, sign him up and sell him on.

RedRJ

Sign him to a new contract and sell him next year...its not a hard decision! Folk want him moved on a free, thats the way to actually bankrupt us!
Haven't we tried that with various players (e.g. Jones, Bailly, Rojo, etc.) over the last few years and not managed to sell any of them........why would Pogba be any different, especially given the prevailing financial climate and his erratic form?

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Again, who are we selling him too if he signs a contract? Fella running Madrid doesn’t fancy him, Barca have no money, Psg are probably the only club who would pay him what we’d be paying him, but no guarantees they would want him.

If you can guarantee me that someone will buy him for 50/60m, then fine, that’s obviously the sensible way to go. I just don’t see that buyer out there and think we’ll be stuck with another Sanchez situation.

And, he’s only a 100m player if someone is willing to pay that. Nobody is. Otherwise he’d be gone already.
The reason I say he's a £100m player is thats what we paid for him. Why people want us to throw any possibility of recouping some of that money away baffles me, especially as we couldn't buy a cdm this summer due to no more money being made available!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Wow not even ten percent. Been our best midfielder since he joined. Some people really focus on his poor games and ignore the huge difference he provides in our play although not reflected in results.

Hopefully Zidane comes and figures out a way to make it work.

Stadjer

That money would likely also be gone if you had to buy a new midfielder. That new midfielder will likely also demand a high wage so the cost over 4 years for a new player will likely exceed that 72m. I suppose if you can get a better player (despite what people say, Pogba can still be a very good player so it isnt easy to find better players), a player who fits the system better (we dont have a system and we dont know what system a new manager will play) it is worth spending money on.

I like Pogba and i wish he didnt have to play under a outdated Mourinho or a clueless manager like Ole. It isnt true that he hasnt done nothing, he just didnt do what people expected. Imagine if we sacked Ole and Conte came in. Conte got the best out of Pogba before and if he did that again we would have a fantastic midfielder that we already own....

However, I do think it is done between Pogba and United, fairly certain he leaves for free and i will be very interested to see how he will do at his new club.

Longshanks

Nobody other than maybe Newcastle is paying 50/60m for him. Got to be one of the most overated players in the clubs history. The odd bit of and brilliance and one good spell of form for us in 4 years, in his peak.

Other than that its mostly been performances similar to Tuesdays nights horror show. Constanlty gets dominated by distinctly average midfielders, constantly puts his own team in trouble with stupid schoolboy mistakes and rarely works anywhere near hard enough to be acceptable. But you know, every now and then pirroutees through midfield and puts the odd 60 yard ball on a sixpence for someone so obviously world class.

World class talent, non league level of mental skills.

Let him go on a free and get him out the club, fed up of watching his non performances in midfield now.

Born2Lose

The reason I say he's a £100m player is thats what we paid for him. Why people want us to throw any possibility of recouping some of that money away baffles me, especially as we couldn't buy a cdm this summer due to no more money being made available!
It's not really as you make out, yes he'll go for nothing and we'll lose £89m but if he stays we'll be committing to paying him for 4 or 5 years over £400k a week.

You're also assuming someone will want to buy a 28/29 year old Pogba who's on the way down and commit to a 4 to 5 year contract paying him MORE than we're paying him in the new contract you'd give him.

This is at a time when continental European clubs are creaking under the burden of the crazy wages they've already been paying out.

If I was a gambling man at this point I'd say not to worry, you'll get your wish and in the end he'll sign a new contract but he'll still be here at 32 and as useful to the club as Mata or Matic are now.

Stevondo8

I just don’t think there is someone out there willing to buy him. He’s been angling for a move via his agent for years but never come close to going.

Ready made replacement in Donny?I’m at the point I’d rather we played him over Pogba to find out if he can be that replacement.

romufc

Im pretty sure Juventus PSG and Real Madrid would be interested!

Just because some fans think he’s shit doesn't mean the whole football world does!

There is value in a World Cup Winning midfielder, sign him up and sell him on.
The club have tried to sell him, Real and Juve don't have the money to spend on Pogba or dont want to because they dont see the value in spending that much money on him.

Stevondo8

The club have tried to sell him, Real and Juve don't have the money to spend on Pogba or dont want to because they dont see the value in spending that much money on him.
Psg probably only viable club to take him, maybe give him Mbappe’s wages when his contract expires. Real will be all over Mbappe over Pogba.

romufc

That money would likely also be gone if you had to buy a new midfielder. That new midfielder will likely also demand a high wage so the cost over 4 years for a new player will likely exceed that 72m. I suppose if you can get a better player (despite what people say, Pogba can still be a very good player so it isnt easy to find better players), a player who fits the system better (we dont have a system and we dont know what system a new manager will play) it is worth spending money on.

I like Pogba and i wish he didnt have to play under a outdated Mourinho or a clueless manager like Ole. It isnt true that he hasnt done nothing, he just didnt do what people expected. Imagine if we sacked Ole and Conte came in. Conte got the best out of Pogba before and if he did that again we would have a fantastic midfielder that we already own....

However, I do think it is done between Pogba and United, fairly certain he leaves for free and i will be very interested to see how he will do at his new club.
I don't thnk we will sign a CM that warrants a 350k wage. Also, if we kept Pogba, we cant sign a midfielder then?

Well, we don't have Conte and we won't get him so no point in that. Its quite funny how some top players still deliver under clueless Ole but a so called top player in Pogba can't?

I like Pogba too but he needs to be in a perfect team for him to succeed, he needs 2 players around him to do the running. I would rather us sign a midfielder who balances the team.

The problem we have always had with Pogba is the balance of the team, once we signed Bruno, it became worse for him.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I just don’t think there is someone out there willing to buy him. He’s been angling for a move via his agent for years but never come close to going.

Ready made replacement in Donny?I’m at the point I’d rather we played him over Pogba to find out if he can be that replacement.
This is the problem we have under the current ownership. We over pay and we under sell thats the only consistent thing they have done in their entire ownership.

I don't believe theres no other club who would take him.
Real Madrid have always held an interest (before anyone says they cant afford him im sure they can after lodging a near 200m bid for Mbappe in his last year at PSG) PSG would take him as would Juventus.

romufc

Psg probably only viable club to take him, maybe give him Mbappe’s wages when his contract expires. Real will be all over Mbappe over Pogba.
I don't see us giving Pogba a new contract and then few months later PSG bidding for him. If PSG want him they would say, don't sign a new deal and we will give you 400k wages.

No club in their right frame would let Pogba sign a new contract then sign him in the summer. it just won't happen.