[POLL] How many goals will Rooney score this season overall?

How many goals will Rooney score this season?

• 0-5

• 6-10

• 11-15

• 16-20

• 21-25

• 25+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Grib

Optimistic, 25 plus, hes a great finisher, play up top will reinforce this as it has previously

When he hasnt got the responsibilities of running around he can take up good postions in the box and slot home from 6-8 yards

santeria13

Sublemon
probably 20+ but also whilst generally ruining a great portion of our attacks. Think he's been atrocious so far this pre- season, and to be fair most of the last two seasons in terms of beating his man or first touch. Basically although I feel he will score enough, I don't believe we're going to be challenging for anything, bar the FA cup with him as our main man.

Question we actually need to be asking ourselves is: Will he score enough goals to make up for his inadequacies, which are becoming more evident every time he plays? Pretty much every striker out there playing for a top team would not only outscore Rooney, but would link up and play a lot better with those around them as well, resulting in even more goals. He's simply not good enough anymore and it really irks me that he's the first name on the team sheet.

People say he's in the bracket underneath Ronaldo and Messi. I beg to disagree. Under them, is Neymar, Suarez, Aguero, Benzema, Sanchez, bale, costa, lewandowski, robben etc.. all of whom would most likely outscore Rooney and generally help the team a lot more when they are not.

I believe he's a great captain and right now I feel that may be his only saving grace in terms of LVG's team selections and that is worrying.

Last edited:

Red_Aaron

I think he'll get 20 but if he plays in a three with depay and pedro flanking he could well get a tonne of assists instead, he's as unselfish as forwards come and hits a great pass

He'll have a good season

Suedesi

Seems like we're banking our season on Wayne. Last night he was terrible. Seemed slow, plodding, bad first touch, poor passing. I'd be worried to go into the season without another striker, I don't care he's the skipper.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Probably none.

He can barely move these days, so unless we keep him on the pitch just to take pens, he won't score at all.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
A million!

May be a bit optimistic there.

Glanville95

I'm gonna say 16 goals in all competitions, which isn't much at all when I see him playing at least 40 games, injuries permitting, next season. He's still a reasonably good finisher, but lacks the ability to fashion goal-scoring opportunities for himself and I can't see him scoring many half-chances. His overall game is a complete hindrance to us though, so if he's not offering enough I can see him getting benched at times.

santeria13

Sublemon
Seems like we're banking our season on Wayne. Last night he was terrible. Seemed slow, plodding, bad first touch, poor passing. I'd be worried to go into the season without another striker, I don't care he's the skipper.
He's been terrible for most of the last 10 or so games hes played :( These increasingly long periods of inconsistency he goes through are very worrying.

Von Mistelroum

I reckon around 15. He's already looking lethargic and I don't imagine a lack of competition in his position will serve to motivate him.

Sam

1 in 4 on tour, and that was from a corner. Things hardly look promising, has he looked even vaguely threatening from open play?

Probably do well to hit 15.

Havak

Pokemon master
I voted 25+.

I think he'll take the role of focal point striker by the horns and really go at it this season. Provided we get through the Champions League Qualifier and Group Stage, along with decent Domestic Cup runs, he should be hitting 25 goals. I'm expecting us to play 52+ games this season and as long as he doesn't have a serious injury he'll be on the field the vast majority of the time. Stay up front and he'll score. The likes of Memphis, Mata, Herrera, Carrick etc will find him.

Would like to hear why a lot of people are voting no more than 15 goals though? He's only ever failed to get to 15 once since joining United, which was last season where he was deployed in midfield a lot (and only played 37 games, his lowest ever tally). Surely where he's guaranteed to be the central striker and play maybe 15~ more games he'll score more goals?

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
1 in 4 on tour, and that was from a corner. Things hardly look promising, has he looked even vaguely threatening from open play?

Probably do well to hit 15.
Somebody said it takes 8 games for him to get going, so what is the 4th game into the season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If he's our main man up top it'll be 25+, history backs this up

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He'll easily score 200-300 goals in the league this season, but only 150 in the Cl and other cups.

450 goals will be a pretty successful season for Rooney IMO.

In reality about 26

goin4glory

Rooney is clearly past it and the only thing keeping him as our first choice striker is a severe lack of world class forwards available. It'll be interesting to see what happens if Dybala or Vietto have great seasons.

Dante

Average bang
21-25 plus an arseload of assists.

He'll average more than 1 goal scored/assisted per game next season.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am bit surprised with the results.

Even I, acknowledged Rooney hater, think he'll score over 20 quite easily. Saying that, I don't think that's saying too much, there are lot of players who score over 20 goals in average teams and yet people find them extremely average, and it's ot like Rooney's all around game is that great to compensate.

If we don't sign any competition for him, he should be definitely aiming over 25-30, IMO.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
we'll play 60 games (league 38, FA Cup 5 games, League cup 5 games, Europe 12 games)

Rooney will play 47

and will score 23.

vidic blood & sand

He'll get into the 20s, but he'll need good service. I'm sure he'll get that.
Once our fitness levels and sharpness improves, he'll be flying I think.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rooney will score goals if we give him chances. No worries about that from me.
But we create feck all. He's a clinical finisher but one who lacks deft movement, real acceleration, and any sort of trickery with the ball. He'll need to be fed chances - which he will take - but our system and choice of personnel will hinder that so I imagine he'll end with a goal every 2 and a bit games. So something like 18/19, rising to mid 20s in all comps.

The White Pele

But we create feck all. He's a clinical finisher but one who lacks deft movement, real acceleration, and any sort of trickery with the ball. He'll need to be fed chances - which he will take - but our system and choice of personnel will hinder that so I imagine he'll end with a goal every 2 and a bit games. So something like 18/19, rising to mid 20s in all comps.
That's a good point actually. I think Rooney scores more goals in a team that maintains the width and delivers accurate crosses whereas we currently play with wingers who like to cut in. Our full-backs could give us an added dimension this season I hope.

SteveW

25+ He has always flourished when given the main striker role. The amount of criticism he gets on here is ridiculous.

Impulse

The only season he's scored fewer than 15 goals in a season for us was the last one which he spent predominantly in midfield so I'd be shocked if he did so this season. Gone with an optimistic 25+