[POLL] How many goals will Rooney score this season overall?

How many goals will Rooney score this season?

• 0-5

• 6-10

• 11-15

• 16-20

• 21-25

• 25+

Results are only viewable after voting.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
16-20, I don't think he has it in him to score more. It's not an issue regarding his finishing which is fine, it's just that physically and technically he isn't in the best shape to score more IMHO.

GloryHunter07

Ill go for 16 to 20. But if we can recreate the 2011/12 form ... :drool:

Would like to see him score more headers.

Riz

In the season I'd expect 20 if he's gunna be the main man, for the league around 15.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
21-25 if he stays fit, even when he's playing dogshite he still finds the net on occasion.

lilcurt

Not good enough to lead the line, seemingly the club don't see it like that and have made him undroppable. I anticipate 16 - 20 goals.

An interesting question would be will he end up our top scorer? IMO probably the most likely option but I have a feeling Memphis will get a good amount, if we get Pedro he'll score a good few also.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
He'll have his usual good one month at some point which gets his fanclub telling us how great he is and how lucky we are to have him, but be average for the rest of the season. Happens every year. Think he'll have a similar season to his last couple.

LitterBug

No-one likes (a) litterbug
I voted 25+.

Our CM is sorted so he can solely focus in being a centre forward. He will smash in the goals including a hat trick against Spurs on the opening day slashing United's odds for the title. YHIFH

jem

It's true that Rooney has scored goals when he was the focal point, but he isnt anywhere near as good now as he was then. Just look at his past lets say 20 performances, bar 5 (max) , it has been very average at best.
I agree, but is it really so inconceivable that he could return to the level that he was at during Moyes' season (ie. not at his world conquering best, ala 2009-10, but among the best players in EPL level)? Should that happen, then I think our attack will click very well.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I agree, but is it really so inconceivable that he could return to the level that he was at during Moyes' season (ie. not at his world conquering best, ala 2009-10, but among the best players in EPL level)? Should that happen, then I think our attack will click very well.
No it isnt; but didnt he play mostly as a no 10? People remember Moyes' season as shit and wrightly so. But I think we were more dangerous attacking wise because we had a more counter/reactive style of play. Currently Rooney will see himself marked by 2 CB's all game and wont get more than 2 a 3 opportunities per match. Only the most brilliant can make something out of the positions our no 9's find themselves in.

jem

No it isnt; but didnt he play mostly as a no 10? People remember Moyes' season as shit and wrightly so. But I think we were more dangerous attacking wise because we had a more counter/reactive style of play. Currently Rooney will see himself marked by 2 CB's all game and wont get more than 2 a 3 opportunities per match. Only the most brilliant can make something out of the positions our no 9's find themselves in.
True, but the one aspect of his game that I don't feel has declined too much is his finishing, so if the chances are created, I'm pretty confident in Rooney's ability to get on the end of them.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
True, but the one aspect of his game that I don't feel has declined too much is his finishing, so if the chances are created, I'm pretty confident in Rooney's ability to get on the end of them.
I agree; only that Rooney doesnt make it easy for his team mates to create chances for him. He isnt in goalscoring positions enough; even when he plays as a ST, he wants to drop back and get involved too much. Besides that; he has declined physically too. When he tracks backs he's quick, but when you set him up for a through ball, he isnt quick enough to break away from the defender. Furthermore he gets shrugged off the ball far more easily as he did 5 years ago. His touch is quite poor, this makes it difficult for him to get played into in tight positions. Just look at Suarez or Neymar, some of the goals they score or create, wouldnt be possible without their sublime skill. Just look at our pre season, I know pre season doesnt say that much; but Rooney goalscoring threat is just non - existent. Depay looked closer to scoring a goal in pretty much every game, and he's been here for 5 minutes.

I hope Rooney can get back to his form, its essential for us this season. But he's been average for the past year for me, compared to other top class forwards.

Hit It

I understand that you loose your speed with age but there is no excuse for him in having such a poor first touch on the ball. 10 or 15 goals plus some "silent domination" should keep him in the team.

Judas

Open to offers
If we don't buy a striker last minute, I think around 15 is a reasonable expectation if he is to be the main man for us up front this season.

Of course you have to factor in his usual injury and random lack of form that seemingly has to happen every year.

LilRicky

Nice little breakdown here of Rooney CF season by season

Stats don't lie, Rooney is an excellent forward!

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
About 13.

Which is why we desperately need another striker.
You think he's going to score less than he did last season, even though he was playing in different positions? He'll be our main forward this season, I'd say he'll get at least 16/17.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Here's a simple test. 1000 pounds of your hard earn cash, odds are double or nothing, which one it is :

A. Costa scoring 25 goals
B. Aguero scoring 25 goals
C. Sturidge scoring 25 goals
D. Kane scoring 25 goals
E. Rooney scoring 20 goals

Edit. You can only place one bet. Assume rooney will be played as striker and every name will play 38 games.

Even at 20 against 25 im keen to believe people will bet on aguero more than rooney

stevoc

Reading this thread you'd think Rooney is barely a Championship level footballer anymore.
I think it's probably because the 5% of simpletons who think he will only score between 0-10 goals next season are a very loud minority.

stevoc

Just as his first touch or overall play.
He scored 14-15 last season playing mostly in midfield, at times as the fecking anchor man in midfield.

Do you seriously think playing up front for United all season he will score 5-6 max?

FFS mate wise up.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He scored 14-15 last season playing mostly in midfield, at times as the fecking anchor man in midfield.

Do you seriously think playing up front for United all season he will score 5-6 max?

FFS mate wise up.
I have a condition called unsuccessful irony, should've gone with white text first time :D

Actually I rate Rooney as very good player, he should easily hit 20 goals mark IF played only as striker, not messing him around the pitch as usual.

But there's too many people on this site acting as he's some kind of pub player stealing living from United so tried to be ironic, just it didn't work :lol: