[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
Never thought Solskjaer had the pedigree to manage United fulltime and still don't, l thought him as caretaker was a great choice and he's done very well but people just getting carried away, he's all suddenly better than
likes of Steve Bruce because of 8 weeks at United.
You keep pushing this Steve Bruce thing. You have a very warped opinion of what's good.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I still believe that Ole is achieving great things with the squad at his disposition.

Yesterday was a game against an opponent better than us, even without their two main main, they played an attack that cost 280 M Euros .....

I'm not finding any excuses, just stating facts, which are that PSG today is way stronger than us, if you combine it to the fact that we were unlucky with refs decisions and the injuries of Martial and Lingard that affected our approach to the game... you get yesterday's loss.

Hopefully, the CL games won't be taken into consideration when appointing a manager and hopefully, Ole gets it as i think he's done enough to be given a chance.

People talk about nurturing talents when it's about players. i think that we should do the same with Ole, i believe that he has the potential to be a great manager, he seems like a very intelligent man that knows his flaws and it looks like he learns from his mistakes (obviously, we haven't seen that yet but his post match press conference poinst at that). let's give him the platform to be the manager that we need!
The next two games will show if Ole gets the job. We are miles away from being a CL challenging team, but we should be competitive in the F.A. Cup and PL. Chelsea have had some bad results, but should be fired up at home and Liverpool it is vital he has all his team fit and fired up to put a spanner in Liverpool title challenge. If he gets tactically out thought in both games then it will put a question mark over him.
It depends where the board want to go, dependable Ole who might be happy with handing out extensions and bringing kids through, or a big name manager who will expect us to be going for the best talent out there. There are a lot of games to go and a lot of vital decisons this board have to make. Those decisions will either set us onto the road to being great again or will set us up for being a Top 6 challenging side.

Tony247

The next two games will show if Ole gets the job.
Hate to break to those under this assumption. That is not how managers are appointed. Either board has belief and has seen enough of potential to appoint now or want to wait till end of season. But no board will cherry pick tough games to judge their interim manager with the squad he inherited. There is something called fair assessment.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Hate to break to those under this assumption. That is not how managers are appointed. Either board has belief and has seen enough of potential to appoint now or want to wait till end of season. But no board will cherry pick tough games to judge their interim manager with the squad he inherited. There is something called fair assessment.
We need to be winning those games though, because they will be the teams you need to win to win trophies. It is usually that type of teams competing for them. So it then depends if they just want Ole to hopefully learn on the job and be patient and hope it comes good in the end or they want us back quickly. I don't know which way they want to go. If they have Poch in mind I honestly don't think he will come. If Chelsea do get Zidane then the options are reducing anyway, so Ole might be the best option left.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Like I've said all along, Pochettino is my first choice and Ole is a distant second.
It would take an extraordinary set of circumstances for me to switch. Our form has been extraordinary but 12 games is too small a sample. I will know for sure in April.
My thinking as well. I won't say too much, but my fear is Ole's not good enough at this level.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The questions I have for the two main candidates is whether Ole has the intellectual footballing chops to upgrade us (like Pochettino has with Spurs)? And does Pochettino have the mentality to exist at the apex of the game (Ole seems comfortable with the demands of the position in this regard) ?
Very good question.

The most important thing for me is that Ole has the right mentality. I was really pleased last night that even through a massive disappointment he wasn't negative. Instead, he was realistic and didn't sound panicked. You really need that as ManUtd manager. This you cannot teach.

On the other hand, you can always hire a good tactician to complement your existing team - which is what I think Ole should do. If it's a weakness of his, the club can help with that. What the club cannot help him with, is his mentality.
On that probability I'd be more likely to take a chance on Ole.

Poch I'm 99% sure would crumble at United. I don't care how good he is technically. People aren't considering that he literally has no scrutiny at Spurs or expectations unlike what he has at United. You cannot underestimate how key that is. He's been left alone to build his team, but at United, you have to build and get results at the same time. It's a very difficult environment. I've just not seen anything from him that tells me he can cope. I believe he likes his comfort zone. He is a risk as well no matter how you look at it.

I'd rather give one of our own a chance.

We just need to support Ole especially with these hard fixtures coming up, cause quite frankly they are far more important than the CL at this stage for us.

He's come up and really given us hope in what has been a terrible start to the season. He's also represented us with great dignity, so I'm hoping fans won't turn the air toxic and let him see out his caretaker role, whatever happens in the end. Think he deserves at least that imho.

bondsname

Just give it to Ole. We need a manager who is here to stay for a couple years and create a team in his vision, now we have had managers who all have 3 exact opposite philosophies and have they have bought players to fit their vision. Our squad is just a huge mess at the moment.

Reactions: SteveJ

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Never thought Solskjaer had the pedigree to manage United fulltime and still don't, l thought him as caretaker was a great choice and he's done very well but people just getting carried away, he's all suddenly better than
Steve Bruce mention? Thanks Incey.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
The loss yesterday had nothing to do with tactics or team selection. Neither did Ole have any subs that could replace Martial and Lingard.

But hey, keep patronizing Ole. He just smiles and keeps people happy eh?
Probably how he beat Sevilla, Zenit and the likes with small Molde with a total budget smaller than 1 year of Alexis Sanchez' salary.

Ole is the choice that can rebuild continuity and keep United... well.. United.

Lets judge by the end of the season.
If he manages top 4 and the play is well I really would like to see him get a pre-season and transfer window to restart United.

Anyways, he deserves better than what some people give him in here :)

Member 90887

The next two games will show if Ole gets the job. We are miles away from being a CL challenging team, but we should be competitive in the F.A. Cup and PL. Chelsea have had some bad results, but should be fired up at home and Liverpool it is vital he has all his team fit and fired up to put a spanner in Liverpool title challenge. If he gets tactically out thought in both games then it will put a question mark over him.
It depends where the board want to go, dependable Ole who might be happy with handing out extensions and bringing kids through, or a big name manager who will expect us to be going for the best talent out there. There are a lot of games to go and a lot of vital decisons this board have to make. Those decisions will either set us onto the road to being great again or will set us up for being a Top 6 challenging side.
I agree, to a point. we should look at how the team approach the games, rather than if they win them. i'm especially talking about the Chelsea one, we were never good there, let's give it to them and bounce on yesterday's game. if we qualify, good. if not, we should go down swinging.

Regarding the liverpool game, the priority is to not lose. we should aim to win of course and finished them off while at the same time improving our chances for TOP 4. but we should avoid losing. they have lost 1 game all year so they're not an easy team to play.

I don't think that they are a make or break games in terms of results, but how we approach them and the account we make of ourselves in both games.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Steve Bruce? Nothing in his record suggests he wouldn't be a truly terrible choice. Ole was a good interim choice but he has shown that he probably has what it takes. I'm not saying he is the only decent choice but Steve Fecking Bruce?

klsv

Absolute state of this fanbase. We lost one half to one of the best sides in the world, although missing two of their main attackers, we also missed two of ours in the second half. Before that we the longest unbeaten run since a very long time, against sides we could have lost to few months and a couple of years ago. Anyone saying Ole's not good enough based on yesterday literally don't know anything about football.

willhse456

How we react now against Chelsea and Liverpool is crucial for me. It would have been a miracle winning the Champions League with this squad, let's be realistic about that. This PSG game was a free hit, and it hasn't gone well.

However, we now occupy 4th spot, and the FA Cup is very winnable with only really Chelsea and City left to worry about. Ole needs to show that he can get the team to bounce back straight away after a defeat. I'm not necessarily saying that he has to beat Chelsea, but I need to see fight and determination from the players.

cyril C

Well why ? We were definitely going to lose at one point. There's still at least 2 or 3 more losses coming in the rest of the season. That's not an indication to anything.
While someone said beating Spurs and Arsenal didn't count (towards test for Ole), the next 2 games do. I never expect us to beat PSG, Chelsea and Liverpool 3 to of 3, but if we lose all 3 games, then Ole is probably inadequate for the job on a permanent basis. 1 win out of 3 is a minimum pass.

Aloysius's Back 3

It's funny how a team who were struggling to qualify all season for next seasons CL has fans who are dissatisfied with their performances in this year's competition.

As Arsenal fans used to say - a lot of our fans are built from glory.

dove

Absolute state of this fanbase. We lost one half to one of the best sides in the world, although missing two of their main attackers, we also missed two of ours in the second half. Before that we the longest unbeaten run since a very long time, against sides we could have lost to few months and a couple of years ago. Anyone saying Ole's not good enough based on yesterday literally don't know anything about football.
I mean... pretty much everyone is 100% convinced Ole should get a permanent job based on 10 games and you can even see articles flying around that the board offered him a permanent job, I personally think it's stupid. I really hope board takes their time and don't remove phone numbers of other candidates just yet. Ole has done great so far but it can go wrong very quickly.

EwanI Ted

I prefer Poch to Ole myself, but last night has no bearing on whether we take on Ole or not. He inherited a train wreck and has already put out a lot of fires. He's got the fans behind the team, the players happy and we're playing good football again, for the most part. At this point in the season there's nothing he can really do about Sanchez, Lukaku and Mata being our back up in attack. It limits his ability to make good subs and his ability to try out tactical variations. The expectation can't be that he sails through to the later stages of the Champions League when he has a team that hasn't won a single knockout match in the Champions League since 2013. He's already pulled a near miracle getting us in contention for the top 4, thats more than enough to take him seriously as a candidate.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
The loss yesterday had nothing to do with tactics or team selection. Neither did Ole have any subs that could replace Martial and Lingard.

Probably how he beat Sevilla, Zenit and the likes with small Molde with a total budget smaller than 1 year of Alexis Sanchez' salary.

If he manages top 4 and the play is well I really would like to see him get a pre-season and transfer window to restart United.

Hey RBK fan :)

I don't think people are jumping on Ole but rather (mostly) asking fair questions? He's done a good job so far yet I can't shake the feeling from watching him at Molde that he isn't quite there tactically yet, or never will be.

poleglass red

I'd still be inclined to give the job to Ole. Give him a window to address some of the issues we are having. I'd rather we give Ole the money than having to fork out 40-50 million to Levy for Poch. The team was outfought, outwitted and outplayed yesterday, it happens.

crossy1686

career ending

Too much rationale here for people to comprehend.

We need an rvn

I'd still be inclined to give the job to Ole. Give him a window to address some of the issues we are having. I'd rather we give Ole the money than having to fork out 40-50 million to Levy for Poch. The team was outfought, outwitted and outplayed yesterday, it happens.
We spent £50m on Fred. I know who i'd rather have spent the money on.

Still too early to decide and I'm on the fence between the two. There are times when I think Ole hasn't got the tactical knowledge to make it here. He's been brilliant but tactic wise I think Poch edges it and probably would have done vs us if it weren't for DDG's masterclass in keeping on the day.

Shiva87

And what happens when Poch gets schooled in the Champions League? Back to Ole then.

Sometimes - you have to give a manager time to tactically modify his game to produce in the CL. This team is not Ole's and yet, he has taken us very far.

It was an even game against PSG till their set piece goal. A bit of bad luck with injuries and the ref as well.

Managers can't always pick out rabbits from the hat. Tuchel won tactically yesterday - but that happens. Managers also have bad days.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
And what happens when Poch gets schooled in the Champions League? Back to Ole then.

Sometimes - you have to give a manager time to tactically modify his game to produce in the CL. This team is not Ole's and yet, he has taken us very far.

It was an even game against PSG till their set piece goal. A bit of bad luck with injuries and the ref as well.

Managers can't always pick out rabbits from the hat. Tuchel won tactically yesterday - but that happens. Managers also have bad days.
Who knows if we will even hire Poch? And who say's back to Ole if Poch gets schooled?

I have my concern with Ole that a large chunk of this forum disagrees with, so therefore I won't discuss it too much.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Hey RBK fan :)

I don't think people are jumping on Ole but rather (mostly) asking fair questions? He's done a good job so far yet I can't shake the feeling from watching him at Molde that he isn't quite there tactically yet, or never will be.
Howdy doody Catt :)

Yes of course people can question him and his tactics :) Agree with that. It is the patronizing talk of smiles and total neglection of all the positives and results he has gotten that gets a bit to me maybe :D

Yesterday wasn't about tactics imo :) PSG flooded the midfield and were better both with and without the ball. Also more experienced somehow. (+ they had a judge on the team imo but that happens)
And I think with Ole, if he is 25% worse in tactical changes during a match, he has other things to offer for United that means just as much.
And of course he will develop. If anyone can learn and develop its him.

I also expect the players to learn from this and stay professional even with a bad judge and opponents that fall screaming if you touch them :p

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You don't have to worry about this because it would only apply if Pochettino was available in the first place.

Half the posters in this thread don't seem to have realised that the Ole-or-Pochettino discussion is entirely academic and doesn't represent a real-world choice that will ever come into existence.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
You don't have to worry about this because it would only apply if Pochettino was available in the first place.

Half the posters in this thread don't seem to have realised that the Ole-or-Pochettino discussion is entirely academic and doesn't represent a real-world choice that will ever come into existence.
Available in what sense? I'm under the impression that if he wants to go and somebody pays the £40 mill, he's gone?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Available in what sense? I'm under the impression that if he wants to go and somebody pays the £40 mill, he's gone?
I've bolded the key phrase that renders it all academic.

Adebesi

Glaston, you have to admit there is a chance he would leave.

Speaking as someone who doesnt think he will leave Spurs, who doesnt think he wants to leave Spurs and who doesnt actually want him to leave Spurs, you cant dismiss the possibility that United or another club will turn his head. Not by being a bigger or better club, or offering him a better chance of winning or more prestige or because he has taken Spurs as far as he can, or anything like that. But just by throwing a large amount of money at him. Its a tried and tested way of prizing people away from jobs or situations they are perfectly happy in.

It is possible Woodward will throw money at him that Levy never would, and it is possible that strategy will work.

pocco

loco
I'm looking at it this way. Is Ole going to be good enough to compete at the top level where we want to be? So far we've had joy by being a counter attacking team, but this is getting figured out in the big games (even though we've held on for wins vs Spurs & Arsenal), but we still have the same problem breaking down well organised teams.

Unless he does really well against Chelsea x2, City and Liverpool, whilst dropping few points in the other games, then we really need to consider this. Because those that are saying 'just give it to Ole' need to consider what happens a year or two down the line if he's coming up short? We'd have to go through a very tough period of actively letting go of a club legend who is the manager. If there are question marks and other, proven options this summer, I think it would be wise to really consider these possibilities.

pocco

loco
I've bolded the key phrase that renders it all academic.
So you're saying he's not available because you think he wouldn't want to go? Unless you know him well or actually are Poch himself, you don't know any more than we do with regards to the bolded part.

Do you think he'd turn down Real or Barca? If the answer is no then I think there's a chance clubs like us can turn his head. He's not a lifelong Spurs fan afterall.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Football fans are so fickle. He does well in 10 games and they’re like he’s the best thing since sliced bread. A lost to one of europe’s best teams and the pitchforks are out. We lost to PSG ffs. Did people really expect us to beat them despite the glaring weaknesses in our team?

I’m still convinced that we should give him the role permanently. I’ve liked the improvements I’ve seen from our team and it can only get better with a summer window under his belt.

Judas

Open to offers
Still no idea. I have huge doubts about Ole and Poch to be honest. It's a bit of a messy situation to be in.

At the end of the day, I think we're going to stick with Ole unless the wheels seriously come off now, but even if they do, I don't think it's even close to being a sure thing we could get Poch in anyway.

MiceOnMeth

Football fans are so fickle. He does well in 10 games and they’re like he’s the best thing since sliced bread. A lost to one of europe’s best teams and the pitchforks are out. We lost to PSG ffs. Did people really expect us to beat them despite the glaring weaknesses in our team?

I’m still convinced that we should give him the role permanently. I’ve liked the improvements I’ve seen from our team and it can only get better with a summer window under his belt.
Give him the job and 250 million to spend and we'll at very least be in the hunt for the title come next may

Status
Not open for further replies.