[Poll] We desperately need a striker

Which striker should we buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ThanksBoss26

Makes me wonder if we are about to go all in for Kane which I thought was hugely unlikely before. We shipped hernandez out last year because van Gaal didn't want him, can't see him changing his mind to where he makes him our second striker.

Who else is there??
I just can't see Spurs entertaining selling Kane. Levy would be strung up there.

DarkXaero

I would love Ibrahimovich here on a 1 year loan type deal, if he could make peace with LVG, but highly unlikely. A player of his caliber and profile is the type of signing Woodward has tried to do though (Falcao last season).

On a more long term basis, I think Lacazette is the best option left. But he would be very hard to get because Lyon are difficult to deal with, and he will seek a more guaranteed role. (we have Rooney who is kinda undroppable, Di Maria, Depay, Mata on the wings)

GloryHunter07

I wouldn't mind Bentekkers, it would be useful for us to have a striker with strength and aerial prescence. Not sure if he is starter quality though?

Sam

Oh God, we're going to go all in for Kane aren't we?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I would love Ibrahimovich here on a 1 year loan type deal, if he could make peace with LVG, but highly unlikely. A player of his caliber and profile is the type of signing Woodward has tried to do though (Falcao last season).

On a more long term basis, I think Lacazette is the best option left. But he would be very hard to get because Lyon are difficult to deal with, and he will seek a more guaranteed role. (we have Rooney who is kinda undroppable, Di Maria, Depay, Mata on the wings)
I'd rather we went for someone younger and hungrier. Lacazette is the type of signing that fits the bill, but given the limited amount i've seen of him (Basically only watched him since we were linked) I'm not in a position to judge whether he can make the step up.

Roman Bellic

Prick
I dont mind Benteke, 42 goals in 89 games isn't that bad and he will improve in a team with better players.

Premier league strikers seem unattractive to some fans for some reason, if he was playing for a team in La Liga or Serie A his videos would be all over the place.

Devil may care

Tommy Muller is the perfect choice but highly unlikely, after that there is only really Lacazette, I'd hate to see us spunk £30M on Benteke or Higuain, I'd rather keep Hernandez.

2 man midfield

I dont mind Benteke, 42 goals in 89 games isn't that bad and he will improve in a team with better players.

Premier league strikers seem unattractive to some fans for some reason, if he was playing for a team in La Liga or Serie A his videos would be all over the place.
Players with genuine quality don't. Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez. We're no stranger to doing so.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We haven't seriously been linked with anyone so I'm really not sure. Though we weren't linked with darmian and we got him so I think we're doing all our business quietly. No idea who we would be targeting though. If we sign a world class forward, what do we do with rooney? If we sign Muller, what do we do with mata and di maria? All players who would expect to start when fit.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Under Saf the one position we never had to worry about was the striker, it was so much fun to see our subs being good enough to start up front for most of the other clubs. One injury to Rooney and we are completely fecked so we need a quality striker and not someone like Chicharito

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If Benteke can be as good as Saha was before injury storm then maybe... a big maybe.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
It's simple: we sign Luuk de Jong. Scored 10/20 goals last season with his head. With Fellaini at 10 flanked by Di Maria and Young we can finally break our old record of crosses in a match under Moyes and actually score.

2 man midfield

Benteke lacks genuine quality? more league goals for Villa than Tevez had for West Ham and us combined and Berbatov for Spurs.
He's decent, but i'm not sure he's United quality. But that's just my opinion. If the reported interest is genuine, then maybe he's another to add to the list. I'd just hope we'd aim higher. Can we? Lack of alternatives might force our hand.

Truedevil

It's simple: we sign Luuk de Jong. Scored 10/20 goals last season with his head. With Fellaini at 10 flanked by Di Maria and Young we can finally break our old record of crosses in a match under Moyes and actually score.
On a serious note as an LvG expert who do you expect us to sign?:D Kane, Müller, Lacazette would all fit LvG's profile i think, but i would love read your opinion.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Weren't there some rumours last season that LVG wanted to Schweinsteiger Januzaj into a striker?

Roman Bellic

Prick
He's decent, but i'm not sure he's United quality. But that's just my opinion. If the reported interest is genuine, then maybe he's another to add to the list. I'd just hope we'd aim higher. Can we? Lack of alternatives might force our hand.
Can you expand on the "United quality" bit?
This is not a strikers window, City have Bony to back up Aguero, Chelsea have Remy for Costa, Arsenal have Welbeck for Giroud, Liverpool have Ings for Sturridge.

Rezyuz

Thats not true, its the skill set/playstyle of PL strikers that nobody cares about. Even if he was in La Liga people wouldn't like it.

Ixion

We definitely wouldn't have let Falcao and RVP go (and probably Hernandez) if we didn't have something in the pipeline. There must be something concrete we haven't heard about yet, we won't go into the season with just Rooney and Wilson.

Rake

We can spend big but who is there to get really? Lacazette might be available and is the obvious choise imo, Benzema is unlikely, Cavani not worth the money, Kane will cost a fortune.

It is very probable that we perfrom a Darmian and sign someone less known.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Rooney, Fellaini, wilson.
Yep, seeing as Rooney will always start when fit anyway, no world class striker is going to sit on the bench to be his stand in. Fellaini and Wilson are decent back up, each offering something different.

I see no new striker coming in.

2 man midfield

Can you expand on the "United quality" bit?
This is not a strikers window, City have Bony to back up Aguero, Chelsea have Remy for Costa, Arsenal have Welbeck for Giroud, Liverpool have Ings for Sturridge.
Depends what we're looking for. Are we looking for a back up, or are we looking for someone to lead the line in a 4-3-3 and challenge Rooney for a starting spot?

If the former then of course, he'd be good enough. If the latter, well then the 'United quality' bit comes into play. Because while he might stand up favourably against Bony, Remy, Ings and Welbeck, he's no Aguero or Costa.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Depends what we're looking for. Are we looking for a back up, or are we looking for someone to lead the line in a 4-3-3 and challenge Rooney for a starting spot?

If the former then of course, he'd be good enough. If the latter, well then the 'United quality' bit comes into play. Because while he might stand up favourably against Bony, Remy, Ings and Welbeck, he's no Aguero or Costa.
Thats why we have Rooney.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Someone mentioned that LVG said he could see Januzaj as a striker, and he played ADM there a couple of times... perhaps we'll have Rooney, ADM, Wilson, and Januzaj as our strikers? Really doesn't look good enough to be honest.
There was a story last season that LVG wanted to use Januzaj as a striker.

Ixion

Yep, seeing as Rooney will always start when fit anyway, no world class striker is going to sit on the bench to be his stand in. Fellaini and Wilson are decent back up, each offering something different.

I see no new striker coming in.
There is no way we're willing to play Fellaini or Wilson up front in Rooney's place for 4-6 weeks worth of games if he picked up an injury. Wilson wasn't even starting over Falcao or RVP last season even when neither were scoring, Van Gaal isn't going to ask him to replace Rooney for an extended period.

2 man midfield

Thats why we have Rooney.
Who we've seen deployed in midfield, and last season looked pretty unconvincing when played up front on his own. I know he's captain and isn't going to see less game time, but he's better off deeper imo, and we need to look for a number 9.

wiz4231

There is no way we're willing to play Fellaini or Wilson up front in Rooney's place for 4-6 weeks worth of games if he picked up an injury. Wilson wasn't even starting over Falcao or RVP last season even when neither were scoring, Van Gaal isn't going to ask him to replace Rooney for an extended period.
I don't think anyone here would want to see that happen but with LVG it could very well be the case unfortunately.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Accept reality...