[Poll] We desperately need a striker

Which striker should we buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Truedevil

Yep, seeing as Rooney will always start when fit anyway, no world class striker is going to sit on the bench to be his stand in. Fellaini and Wilson are decent back up, each offering something different.

I see no new striker coming in.
Last year we had Rooney, RvP and Wilson and LvG was ready to go out and buy Falcao on top of that. Seeing him wanting to win the PL so badly there's no way he's going into a season with Rooney as our only quality striker.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
On a serious note as an LvG expert who do you expect us to sign?:D Kane, Müller, Lacazette would all fit LvG's profile i think, but i would love read your opinion.
I'm sure he will have checked if he can get Kane, that's just a given for me since he's English and fits the bill. If it wasn't for Levy I could see it happening, but I think Tottenham will hold onto him since he penned that contract. Never say never though, we might just have some spare funds somewhere we like to throw away.

Muller wouldn't even need to ask van Gaal if he's interested, but he's not leaving BM. No chance.

Lacazette I have only seen play 1 match of football, therefore I'm not really sure if he's suited for van Gaal playstyle. If he has potential to be an out-and-out striker I could see us going for him, but he can also play out wide so he could get more games (although we're stocked there so it wouldn't really help him). LvG his strikers usually aren't suited for a different role though so I just wouldn't know if Lacazette fits the bill.

Cavani, Higuain, Benteke seem like decent shouts. Not spectacular but proven quality players who can compete with Rooney if the latter is out of form. There aren't alot of strikers out there who look realistic and fit the bill van Gaal wants. Lewandowski would be the perfect van Gaal striker but I don't think he's available. I'm certain the Eredivisie doesn't have a striker we could be interested in so don't worry for random Dutch strikers.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Who we've seen deployed in midfield, and last season looked pretty unconvincing when played up front on his own. I know he's captain and isn't going to see less game time, but he's better off deeper imo, and we need to look for a number 9.
Unless there are strikers somewhere looking to get signed, all the strikers available have already been mentioned on this thread

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Not if we play 4-3-3.
Sometimes we will play 4-4-2, LVG seems to like changing things around. I used love live SAF's idea of having 4 decent strikers in competition. If we get through to CL then we need plenty of firepower as its going to be a long season. Rooney will loose form, get injured and suspended, Wilson does not have the experience yet. We need one big hitter and maybe somebody that can pick up 8 or 9 goals when playing some mid table or lower teams.

Rake

Funny thing is that this time next year Rooney will be in a similar position as Robin and probably on a steady decline also.

We should be signing someone who has the quality to be first team pick every game.

Truedevil

I'm sure he will have checked if he can get Kane, that's just a given for me since he's English and fits the bill. If it wasn't for Levy I could see it happening, but I think Tottenham will hold onto him since he penned that contract. Never say never though, we might just have some spare funds somewhere we like to throw away.

Muller wouldn't even need to ask van Gaal if he's interested, but he's not leaving BM. No chance.

Lacazette I have only seen play 1 match of football, therefore I'm not really sure if he's suited for van Gaal playstyle. If he has potential to be an out-and-out striker I could see us going for him, but he can also play out wide so he could get more games (although we're stocked there so it wouldn't really help him). LvG his strikers usually aren't suited for a different role though so I just wouldn't know if Lacazette fits the bill.

Cavani, Higuain, Benteke seem like decent shouts. Not spectacular but proven quality players who can compete with Rooney if the latter is out of form. There aren't alot of strikers out there who look realistic and fit the bill van Gaal wants. Lewandowski would be the perfect van Gaal striker but I don't think he's available. I'm certain the Eredivisie doesn't have a striker we could be interested in so don't worry for random Dutch strikers.
Cheers, it will be interesting who's coming if any striker coming at all.

RedorDead21

Yeah Lewandowski would be my choice but they would no doubt want Di Maria. Benzema I would have thought would have been easier then Ramos to get out of Madrid but I expect that was asked and rebuffed....

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Sometimes we will play 4-4-2, LVG seems to like changing things around. I used love live SAF's idea of having 4 decent strikers in competition. If we get through to CL then we need plenty of firepower as its going to be a long season. Rooney will loose form, get injured and suspended, Wilson does not have the experience yet. We need one big hitter and maybe somebody that can pick up 8 or 9 goals when playing some mid table or lower teams.
You know van Gaal doesn't like 442? We'd be playing 352 if we want 2 strikers, not 442.

Glanville95

Yeah, we definitely need one following van Persie's departure.

I was one of those, perhaps in the minority, that thought RvP still had a lot to offer and he is a better player than he's shown the last two seasons. A lot of it stems from motivation IMO, as others stated, he seems half-arsed and disinterested so often last season. If he could reinvigorate that desire he would have provided sufficient cover for Rooney and perhaps even displace him upfront. He's still a good player.

However, he's obviously off and now a striker is definitely needed. I'm hoping that we already have one lined up, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's not the case and LvG/Woody, just want him off the books as soon as possibe. Hernandez is the very definition of a super-sub and perhaps more suitable to bring off the bench than RvP, I just have less faith in him and still rank him comfortably below RvP.

Not sure who we can bring in though. Will we end up shopping around the lower tier of strikers, just to appease Rooney and not shift him back into midfield, or, will we sign a marquee striker that displaces RvP, keeping in theme with LVG's ruthless transfer strategy approach thus far.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
We need a top, top striker and have the money but it looks like their aren't any available.

Reminds me if a comment SAF made about City signing Aguero: "He was always going to be a good buy". Why the feck didn't you go for him then!?

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
He pretty much gave up 352.
He prefers 352 over 442 anyday. He gave an interview on his preferred formation and that's either 433, 4231 or 352. He specifically said he dislikes 442. That interview was a few months ago.

Leg-End

If he is truly available then Lacazette makes a ton of sense.

Devil may care

You're a top poster Maxy but the bolded trio make my muppet sad, for the fees they'd cost we might as well have just gotten Bacca to sit on the bench.

Walters_19_MuFc

I agree. We do need a striker. With it looking likely that we'll play one up top next season, Rooney, New Striker, and Wilson in that order, will probably be enough. That said, if I had a choice, instead of having Wilson as third choice I'd have Hernandez and send Wilson on loan, but I very much doubt Hernandez be happy with being third choice.

1. Rooney
2. New Striker
3. Wilson

JmRssll555

We need someone who has quality, but is equally happy to take a somewhat secondary role, if Rooney is going to be our first choice. I'm honestly stunned that we're allowing van Persie to go, unless we already have a replacement lined up. Of course, it's possible that van Gaal isn't satisfied with van Persie's injury record and feels he can't rely on him, which is fair enough. If that's the reason for letting him go, we absolutely do need another striker. I can't see Chicharito staying, but he could do the job.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I agree. We do need a striker. With it looking likely that we'll play one up top next season, Rooney, New Striker, and Wilson in that order, will probably be enough. That said, if I had a choice, instead of having Wilson as third choice I'd have Hernandez and send Wilson on loan, but I very much doubt Hernandez be happy with being third choice.

1. Rooney
2. New Striker
3. Wilson
at the moment, we look a long way from how we felt at the start of last season. That we had an average defence, but a strike force as good as anyone!

yamo123x

Has there been any credible link to Lacazette?

Lewandowski would be perfect but I think we will end up pursuing Kane and ending up disappointed.

Benteke may be the fall back option and if he's gone by then expect Huntelaar.
Whatever happens please god no Cavani.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
You're a top poster Maxy but the bolded trio make my muppet sad, for the fees they'd cost we might as well have just gotten Bacca to sit on the bench.
The only one of those 3 I wouldn't mind is Benteke, I just can't think of other available strikers. I don't follow the Serie A/BBVA/Bundesliga much at all so I could be missing quite a few options.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm gonna say we get Lacazette, on the basis that he's an obvious smart choice in the same vein as Depay, Schneiderlin and Darmian.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Unless there are strikers somewhere looking to get signed, all the strikers available have already been mentioned on this thread
Hence my reply, the 2nd message in this thread. But i'd rather we took a chance on Lacazette than signed Benteke.

Walters_19_MuFc

One striker I really like is Alvaro Morata. Every time I've watched him, he's been absolutely class. Probably not the greatest finisher at the moment, but he's got great overall attributes (great hold up play, quick, strong, good in air, skilful, brings people into play, hard worker), and at 22, he's got room to improve.

Flying_Heckfish

If Lacazette did hand in a request and Liverpool are after Benteke then everything lines up.

Only other recent link has been Mueller who isn't strictly a striker and is probably impossible anyway. Kane I just don't see happening either, but he would probably fit our system.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If Lacazette did hand in a request and Liverpool are after Benteke then everything lines up.

Only other recent link has been Mueller who isn't strictly a striker and is probably impossible anyway. Kane I just don't see happening either, but he would probably fit our system.
Benteke also wants to leave according to Guardian plus Scousers would really need to off load some crap before signing any striker after Ings deal.

Flying_Heckfish

Benteke also wants to leave according to Guardian plus Scousers would really need to off load some crap before signing any striker after Ings deal.
The latest murmurings was he wants to go to them, they want him, but they have to sell Sterling first. So he might be available.

But why then would Lacazette ask to leave, when Pool were the ones linked? If he did, then that means someone else is bidding, rather than Liverpool, as they won't be buying both.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The latest murmurings was he wants to go to them, they want him, but they have to sell Sterling first. So he might be available.

But why then would Lacazette ask to leave, when Pool were the ones linked? If he did, then that means someone else is bidding, rather than Liverpool, as they won't be buying both.
After what Lyon's chairman said about possible deal with Pool it's really hard to believe they'll get him. Perhaps Aulas want to milk as much as possible from this deal. http://www.espnfc.com/story/2475211/alexandre-lacazette-not-signing-for-liverpool-say-lyon

I reckon many bigger clubs would be more than okay with acquiring Lacazette but seems like it's United who really need some kind of reinforcement there while Pool are overhauled with their signings from 2014 so far.

Kazi

Keep Robin for one more season. Rather him sit on the bench then a new £30m signing.

Ringo 07

Aubameyang or Lacazette are the only 2 realistic names I can think of who would be good enough. Aubameyang could be a good bet and could be the most straight forward to buy and could be ready to reach a higher level with a bigger club