Portugal - Euro 2020 Discussion

KC91

I think Portugal will get something out of the France game. Germany's formation gave them a lot of issues, the wingbacks in particular caused a ton of problems right up until Gosens was subbed off.

They'll likely see more of the ball against France, and will be able to play at a much better tempo. They'll have to be wary of the French talent up front of course, but France to me are looking like a team that's just kind of going through the motions at the moment and aren't too concerned about where they finish in the group.

Cal?

CR7 fan
England v Germany
Netherlands v Portugal
in the last 16

2 teams awarded for winning their group by getting their nemesis

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think Portugal will get something out of the France game. Germany's formation gave them a lot of issues, the wingbacks in particular caused a ton of problems right up until Gosens was subbed off.

They'll likely see more of the ball against France, and will be able to play at a much better tempo. They'll have to be wary of the French talent up front of course, but France to me are looking like a team that's just kind of going through the motions at the moment and aren't too concerned about where they finish in the group.
I don’t think their 2 supper slow DM can handle France midfield at all. Not to mention Semedo ultimate test vs Mbappe.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
England v Germany
Netherlands v Portugal
in the last 16

2 teams awarded for winning their group by getting their nemesis
Finally some good games though. Happy enough with that.

TheGame

Argentina had Venezuela and USA en route to the Copa Final in the same year. They didn’t even have to play a RO16.
Its a different format and there are less harder teams to draw. Plus they were in the same group as Chile and actually finished in the top 2 not scraped past with no wins in third place.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

If they win the group it's Switzerland or Ukraine at a neutral venue, if they come 2nd it's England at Wembley. I know England haven't looked good, but neither have France. They would be foolish to not go for the win here.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Croatia were coming off dismantling Spain in the group stage and looked like potential favourites to win it all in 2016, they were a very strong side that made the final 2 years later. And France were at home. Portugal's route in euro 2016 wasn't that easy

I don't think Semedo vs Mbappé is going to be that much of an issue. Mbappé vs Pepe & Dias much more so

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Thank God we are going to Sevilla, obviously Belgium is favourite, has 2 more days of rest , but would hate to play at Wembley. To my mind never a Portuguese team won a match at Wembley, even Benfica there against United in 68 don’t remember if they lost on the extra time.

Anyway I doubt Santos learned anything from the game at Germany and Belgium uses a similar system, any bet who will be the Belgian Goosens?

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Well that was horrible for the nerves. Could only watch 60minutes on and it looked like we were struggling a little. But pleased Santos made the right changes for this match. Not too fussed if we lose to the Belgiums, they're a good side.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well that was horrible for the nerves. Could only watch 60minutes on and it looked like we were struggling a little. But pleased Santos made the right changes for this match. Not too fussed if we lose to the Belgiums, they're a good side.
2 less days to recover and Belgium plays a similar system to Germany, I doubt Santos learned anything from that match.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
We're never going to win this tournament with the draw we were given. It was doomed from the start.

Proud of the performance today regardless. If that made up penalty on Mbappe isn't called it could have gone very differently.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
- Semedo is awful, I would just retire.
- Palhinha is our best DM
- Renato needs to start
- Bruno has been shit
- Bernardo shit
- Rui Best Portuguese keeper ever
- Ronaldo is GOD in human form

That’s what I got so far.

Gonçalo Motta

- Renato needs to start
- Bruno has been shit
- Bernardo shit

I agree with most but Semedo was actually pretty decent this match.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
- Renato needs to start
- Bruno has been shit
- Bernardo shit

Bernardo played better today, Bruno looks a strange body on the team, don’t know if it’s tiredness, Santos tatics or just anxiety, things aren’t going right for him.

SportingCP96

Supports
Bernardo played better today, Bruno looks a strange body on the team, don’t know if it’s tiredness, Santos tatics or just anxiety, things aren’t going right for him.
Ya if he performs the way we know how we would be much better, he just seems very nervous every time he touched the ball.

Looks a shell of himself Right now

Gonçalo Motta

And he still caused a pen, he’s Just só mistake prone. Losing cancelo was a big Blow for us sadly
I wouldn't blame him for the ghost penalty tbf. Jota, Fernandes and Bernardo Silva were really underwhelming all group stage though.

Fernandes playing on the right isn't helping much I assume.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ya if he performs the way we know how we would be much better, he just seems very nervous every time he touched the ball.

Looks a shell of himself Right now
He worked much more defensively today, him and Jota, expected much more from Fernandes, don’t know if he is tired or if he stresses playing for Portugal, the truth is that a washed up Moutinho calms the things on the midfield, and that is a worrying thing to watch.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Bruno doesn't fit into this team, even in a midfield 3. I'd rather have Moutinho there who will consistently control and keep possession. Coming on as a right winger seemed strange and didn't work. Rafa I thought was the logical substitution.

SportingCP96

Supports
I wouldn't blame him for the ghost penalty tbf. Jota, Fernandes and Bernardo Silva were really underwhelming all group stage though.

Fernandes playing on the right isn't helping much I assume.
Ya the front line has been very underwhelming. Being carried by a 36 year old man.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ronaldo seems to shot loads of his penalties low to the left these days, certainly his favourite side when you think he missed in the CL final all those years back that side and also recently v Inter Handa read it but rebound found its way back to him.

Lloris could've saved one of them if he'd done a bit of research.

El Jefe

Thought today was their best performance. The first time I've seen them move the ball in midfield with authority and purpose except for the last 5mins against Hungary. Bernardo Silva was much better in this game and he needed to be because Portugal lack creativity when he's not on his game. Renato was excellent and I felt Paulinha did very well after coming on too. Jota seems to be the problem in attack now but he's busy and works hard but his decision making really needs to improve. Get him playing well and it will unlock another level in the attack specifically for Ronaldo as he seems like the only one who can score atm.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Jota's decision making is a bit shit but he offers Portugal a pacey outlet to launch on the counter.

I've been unimpressed with Ruben Dias and Bernardo Silva.

Gonçalo Motta

Belgium run to the title is a nightmare.

It can potentially be - Portugal - Italy - France / Spain - England / France / Germany / Netherlands (final). No easy games

SportingCP96

Supports
Also drop Bernardo and play Pote he’s the most inform attacking player we have bar the G.O.A.T.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Also drop Bernardo and play Pote he’s the most inform attacking player we have bar the G.O.A.T.
No way, he has to learn how to take the best from Fernandes and Bernardo at the same time. For me it's ridiculous that he sees Bernardo as a winger who has to put crosses into Ronaldo, and Fernandes today went to the pitch to play as a winger. With that said, I see Bruno and even Bernardo receive a lot of stick but Jota has been very selfish, he better step up and stop making those stupid runs like if he is playing a 1vs 1 game and starts looking around the pitch to see if there is a player to receive the ball in better positions.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Belgium run to the title is a nightmare.

It can potentially be - Portugal - Italy - France / Spain - England / France / Germany / Netherlands (final). No easy games
Same as Portugal. And I don’t think Portugal could win this tournament due to their tough run. But realistically if Ronaldo manage to score at least 1 more to break international record and also finish this tournament as top goalscorer, I will be happy. Although my best dream is to watch Portugal vs England in final.

Bole Top

France basically gifted them both goals and in general I didn't think Cristiano was particularly good besides taking those penalties, but obviously both him and Benzema will get the most praise because it's how it works.

personally, I'm more impressed by their manager. he often gets criticized, but you rarely see NT that drilled and that's why I have them as the second best NT in world. Pepe and Sanchez always up their level playing for Portugal and even when Palhinha went in, there was basically no drop in performance. they shouldn't fear anyone as long as Santos is there. they might not be the most attractive team to watch, but this style gets you trophies.

Belgium have some great players but I don't rate their defence and I certainlly don't trust their manager. they're the favorites here for some reason, yet I see Santos schooling Martinez the same way Fergie used to school Wenger.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Pep turning Bernado into a grafting midfielder has killed his offensive impact. He is getting picked because he is a hard worker who can hopefully offer something in attack. Not surprised he wants out of City.
Dias has been shocking though not surprised, has looked shaky for City after that epic PSG tie.

Gonçalo Motta

Same as Portugal. And I don’t think Portugal could win this tournament due to their tough run. But realistically if Ronaldo manage to score at least 1 more to break international record and also finish this tournament as top goalscorer, I will be happy. Although my best dream is to watch Portugal vs England in final.
Being in this group actually was a blessing in disguise for Portugal imo.
In an easier group and without a real test, the William / Danilo duo would probably be enough to win the group without any issues and we would be exposed in the first tough game in the KO stages (and most likely eliminated).
At least this way we got exposed against Germany and Fernando Santos was forced to fix the issues before entering the next phase.

The Portuguese team that played against France felt way more balanced overall.

France basically gifted them both goals and in general I didn't think Cristiano was particularly good besides taking those penalties, but obviously both him and Benzema will get the most praise because it's how it works.

personally, I'm more impressed by their manager. he often gets criticized, but you rarely see NT that drilled and that's why I have them as the second best NT in world. Pepe and Sanchez always up their level playing for Portugal and even when Palhinha went in, there was basically no drop in performance. they shouldn't fear anyone as long as Santos is there. they might not be the most attractive team to watch, but this style gets you trophies.

Belgium have some great players but I don't rate their defence and I certainlly don't trust their manager. they're the favorites here for some reason, yet I see Santos schooling Martinez the same way Fergie used to school Wenger.
He wasn't but this game was more about pressing and getting control of the midfield than trying to create chances since both teams were playing really safe. Bar a few lost balls, he helped to do just that.

Last edited:

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP

A manager who starts a game with Danilo and William isn't a good manager. He's just lucky that he has great players. I think Martinez who isn't really good is a little bit better because he plays more offensive.

SER19

Think Portugal will upset Belgium. Nerves will have settled after getting out of very tough group reasonably intact and while Belgium are possible winners of tournament I just feel Portugal will stifle them and turn in a decent defensive performance at last

rhajdu

At my workplace we organized a betting competition, and since I have unconditional love for Portugal as a country I chose them. I also named Ronaldo as the top scorer. So far I am the last one, but if Portugal can make it, I will jump to the top. :D So come on, I would like to have a new Hungarian kit!

Portugal doesn't seem to click yet, but I think that they will progress againts Belgium somehow. Unfortunately, I don't see right know how they will beat Italy.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I'm worried about Bernardo and Jota. A peak Siva from 2/3 years ago and I'd be confident of going far. But there isn't really that spark right now in my opinion. Felix is a miss too. Belgium just seem to be clicking more going forward than Portugal.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Palhinha-Renato-Bruno is our best midfield imo but Bruno has been bad so I don't mind if he starts Moutinho even if he can only play 60 minutes at a high level.

Belgium plays 3 CBs like Germany. Even if their wingbacks aren't as good as Germany's (Kimmich and Gosens) I hope we learned something from the Germany game and the team is more prepared for that system. Lukaku will be a pain in the ass all game and De Bruyne needs to have as little space as possible. I keep hearing about their defense being suspect but they only conceded 1 goal in 3 games while we have 6 in the last 2... they are very dangerous on the counter too so we're going to need to be very careful all game.

In attack Bernardo, Jota and hopefully Bruno will need to step up because Ronaldo isn't going to score in every game. Bernardo should have left City a few years ago already, had one incredible season but he’s regressed.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
Thank God we are going to Sevilla, obviously Belgium is favourite, has 2 more days of rest , but would hate to play at Wembley. To my mind never a Portuguese team won a match at Wembley, even Benfica there against United in 68 don’t remember if they lost on the extra time.

Anyway I doubt Santos learned anything from the game at Germany and Belgium uses a similar system, any bet who will be the Belgian Goosens?
Go home if you don't want to play at Wembley. The final and the semi-finals are at Wembley. Tens que matar o borrego. The last sentence is something in portuguese that means that you have to end it. Real translation is you have to kill the pig.

MrEleson

I'm worried about Bernardo and Jota. A peak Siva from 2/3 years ago and I'd be confident of going far. But there isn't really that spark right now in my opinion. Felix is a miss too. Belgium just seem to be clicking more going forward than Portugal.
Is Felix not in the squad? I’m surprised he hasn’t made any appearance yet.

MrEleson

He’s been injured
Oh I see, but he’s still in the squad from what I checked. Is there any chance he’ll have recovered in time to contribute in the next games in some way? Couldn’t find what his injury was