Portuguese Football 2016/2017

Devil may care

Doesn't seem like BT Sport are covering the league this season and I am not sure what signings the big 3 have made, it will be interesting to see if Ruben Neves can get back on track after a difficult second half to last season.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Sporting have won 2-1 against FC Porto just a few minutes ago and are top of the league with a 100% record as the only club after the first three games.
Of course a long way to go and Joao Mario & Slimani will be big losses but at least good to see Sporting are continuing their form of last season and Benfica (7 points) & FC Porto (6 points) have finally another rival for the title.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I'll try to keep this thread more alive now that I'm promoted. Even if nobody cares and this becomes a thread of me talking to myself, I'll still post. If you have any questions, please ask. I might do a list of the young talented players if there's enough interest.

Currently in the league:
Benfica - 19 points
Sporting - 16 points
Porto - 16 points

This weekend:
Sporting-Tondela Sat 18:15
Porto-Arouca Sat 20:30
Belenenses-Benfica Sun 20:15

Cup draw was today:

Sporting-Praiense
Benfica-Marítimo
Chaves-Porto

Very easy for Sporting. Easy enough for Benfica. Tough draw for Porto. Playing north from Porto is always tough and Chaves are very good.

Portugal's women team is trying to get to their first major competition and drew the first leg of the playoff to the Euros vs Romania 0-0 at home. They missed a penalty too and now it's going to be a very tough game in Romania.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
I'll try to keep this thread more alive now that I'm promoted. Even if nobody cares and this becomes a thread of me talking to myself, I'll still post. If you have any questions, please ask. I might do a list of the young talented players if there's enough interest.

Currently in the league:
Benfica - 19 points
Sporting - 16 points
Porto - 16 points

This weekend:

Cup draw was today:

Sporting-Praiense
Benfica-Marítimo
Chaves-Porto

Very easy for Sporting. Easy enough for Benfica. Tough draw for Porto. Playing north from Porto is always tough and Chaves are very good.

Portugal's women team is trying to get to their first major competition and drew the first leg of the playoff to the Euros vs Romania 0-0 at home. They missed a penalty too and now it's going to be a very tough game in Romania.
who have been the top players this year?

NYAS

Currently in the league:
Benfica - 19 points
Sporting - 16 points
Porto - 16 points

This weekend:

Cup draw was today:

Sporting-Praiense
Benfica-Marítimo
Chaves-Porto

Young talents in the Portuguese league this season are exciting, the likes of Ruben Neves, Gelson Martins, Andre Silva, Oliver Torres, Ruben Semedo, Bernard Mensah, Zivkovic, Guedes, Rafa Silva. I'm sure I missed a few.

Also Ze Gomes of Benfica who's still only 17 but looks like he might just have world-class potential.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
who have been the top players this year?
For Sporting, Gelson Martins is the next big thing coming out of our academy. This is his last season here. He'll leave to one of the best teams in the world. Ruben Semedo has been good in defense too. I believe they'll both be part of our national team's starting 11 in a not so distant future. The core of the team is Patrício in goal with William and Adrien in the middle of the park. They've all been doing well as usual. Bas Dost is no Slimani but he has been good so far.

Mitroglou, the CB partnership (Lindelof and Jardel) and Grimaldo for Benfica have all been excelent. I shouldn't say this but I really like Gonçalo Guedes, he's one of those players that you need to watch consistently to understand his importance. He'll misplace some passes, miscontrol some balls and miss some easy goals. But his movement and pressing are very good and he's great in transition.

In Porto, André Silva is the number 9 the portuguese have been waiting for since Pauleta. He's far from perfect but his movement inside the box is his biggest strenght. He's OK tecnically but the things he's missing (being more clinical, holding the ball up, etc) should come with age and experience. He has the right instincts and he has been scoring for fun. Layun and Diogo Jota are the other stand outs. I don't understand why the english are so obcessed with Ruben Neves. He's far from being ready right now. Your media has really hyped him up.

I haven't watched enough of other teams to really judge them. I'll do a better version of this around the middle of the season.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Young talents in the Portuguese league this season are exciting, the likes of Ruben Neves, Gelson Martins, Andre Silva, Oliver Torres, Ruben Semedo, Bernard Mensah, Zivkovic, Guedes, Rafa Silva. I'm sure I missed a few.

Also Ze Gomes of Benfica who's still only 17 but looks like he might just have world-class potential.
It's incredible how much talent is coming out of our country. Very exciting times. We're already Champions of Europe and now we're doing fantasticly in 'creating' young talented players. People forget that we only made it to 4 tournaments in the twentieth century. Then came the golden generation, then Cristiano Ronaldo and now when people were thinking about our demise after the disaster of 2014, we win the Euros and have some very talented players coming through. Players like William, André Gomes, Renato Sanches, João Mário and Raphael Guerreiro have already made it. Bernardo Silva, Gelson Martins, João Cancelo, André Silva, Ruben Semedo, Nélson Semedo and Danilo Pereira are basically there. Zé Gomes is great. And all three big teams have very talented players coming out of their youth teams. I believe we'll do quite well in Russia (if we get there).

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

Here's a good Gelson Martins video. He's been doing the things you see in the video consistently. It will be interesting to see how Fernando Santos (portuguese NT manager) deals with this. We have too many talented central midfielders, we played with 4 during the Euros usually with João Mário and either André Gomes or Renato on the sides. William and Adrien are very good. Danilo Pereira too. Moutinho is still there. So, assuming we continue playing with 4 central midfielders. If CR7 starts there is only room for one of André Silva, Nani, Quaresma, Gelson or Bernardo Silva. It's one of them good problems. Btw I love Éder beyond something words can explain, but he can't play for us anymore.

I'm worried Fernando Santos is not the right man to solve this puzzle. But our federation won't have the balls to fire him ever, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

NYAS

Here's a good Gelson Martins video. He's been doing the things you see in the video consistently. It will be interesting to see how Fernando Santos (portuguese NT manager) deals with this. We have too many talented central midfielders, we played with 4 during the Euros usually with João Mário and either André Gomes or Renato on the sides. William and Adrien are very good. Danilo Pereira too. Moutinho is still there. So, assuming we continue playing with 4 central midfielders. If CR7 starts there is only room for one of André Silva, Nani, Quaresma, Gelson or Bernardo Silva. It's one of them good problems. Btw I love Éder beyond something words can explain, but he can't play for us anymore.

I'm worried Fernando Santos is not the right man to solve this puzzle. But our federation won't have the balls to fire him ever, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Don't rule out the possibility of a Bruma resurgence either. What do you think of Andre Andre?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Don't rule out the possibility of a Bruma resurgence either. What do you think of Andre Andre?
I forgot about him but he certainly has the talent to make it to Portugal's starting eleven in the future. I've heard he has been playing very well since he returned from injury too. As a Sporting fan I don't want him to make it, but as a portuguese, we could do with some young talent on the wings. Hopefully he leaves Gala so that I can follow him more closely.

André André isn't good enough. For Portugal or for Porto. If he hadn't scored a winner vs Benfica last season, the fans would want him gone.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
For Sporting, Gelson Martins is the next big thing coming out of our academy. This is his last season here. He'll leave to one of the best teams in the world. Ruben Semedo has been good in defense too. I believe they'll both be part of our national team's starting 11 in a not so distant future. The core of the team is Patrício in goal with William and Adrien in the middle of the park. They've all been doing well as usual. Bas Dost is no Slimani but he has been good so far.

Mitroglou, the CB partnership (Lindelof and Jardel) and Grimaldo for Benfica have all been excelent. I shouldn't say this but I really like Gonçalo Guedes, he's one of those players that you need to watch consistently to understand his importance. He'll misplace some passes, miscontrol some balls and miss some easy goals. But his movement and pressing are very good and he's great in transition.

In Porto, André Silva is the number 9 the portuguese have been waiting for since Pauleta. He's far from perfect but his movement inside the box is his biggest strenght. He's OK tecnically but the things he's missing (being more clinical, holding the ball up, etc) should come with age and experience. He has the right instincts and he has been scoring for fun. Layun and Diogo Jota are the other stand outs. I don't understand why the english are so obcessed with Ruben Neves. He's far from being ready right now. Your media has really hyped him up.

I haven't watched enough of other teams to really judge them. I'll do a better version of this around the middle of the season.
I really liked Gelson this UCL.. but the highlight of the season had to be Bruno Cheddar scoring at Bernabeu

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I really liked Gelson this UCL.. but the highlight of the season had to be Bruno Cheddar scoring at Bernabeu
Bruno 'Xuta Xuta' Cheddar has a nice ring to it. He's been a very useful player so far too, I'm happy we bought him. It has also led the restaurant business around Lisbon to hit record profits, so that's nice.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
0-0 at half time. Absolute shit from us so far. Gelson is the only one doing something. I'd pay to watch Elias and Zeegelaar leave Sporting.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
No excuses for this shit but in the second half there were 23 minutes of actuall football played. Out of the 6 minutes added on there were 1 minute and 45 seconds of actual football played. And then we act surprised when nobody in the world cares about portuguese football. It's a disgrace.

Embarassing performance. Fair result.

bucky

What do people who follow the league think of Danilo Pereira? I was impressed during European Championships even though he lost his place IIRC. @Peyroteo @Sly @Arruda

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
What do people who follow the league think of Danilo Pereira? I was impressed during European Championships even though he lost his place IIRC. @Peyroteo @Sly @Arruda
He's very good. Physically he's great, he's tidy in possession but makes the odd mistake. He's defensively minded, very good in the air and manages to get on the scoresheet a few times per season. In my opinion he's every bit as good as William who took his place at the Euros, but William is better in possession.

bucky

He's very good. Physically he's great, he's tidy in possession but makes the odd mistake. He's defensively minded, very good in the air and manages to get on the scoresheet a few times per season. In my opinion he's every bit as good as William who took his place at the Euros, but William is better in possession.
Thanks for info. William is a better passer? Looked to me at the Euros that Pereira is better, but you've probably seen more of him.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Thanks for info. William is a better passer? Looked to me at the Euros that Pereira is better, but you've probably seen more of him.
William lacks consistency. I've seen him dominate games away vs Porto and Benfica, looking like it's a father playing with his children. But I've also seen him being lazy and losing the ball too many times. He was average at the Euros.

I'd say William is the better of the two for a big team because he helps building the attack. But even though they're both strong defensive mids, they're very different. William plays like a lesser Busquets and Danilo plays like a lesser Vieira. If I'm a manager of a possession based team, I'd take William. If I'm a manager of a transition team, I'd take Danilo.

bucky

William lacks consistency. I've seen him dominate games away vs Porto and Benfica, looking like it's a father playing with his children. But I've also seen him being lazy and losing the ball too many times. He was average at the Euros.

I'd say William is the better of the two for a big team because he helps building the attack. But even though they're both strong defensive mids, they're very different. William plays like a lesser Busquets and Danilo plays like a lesser Vieira. If I'm a manager of a possession based team, I'd take William. If I'm a manager of a transition team, I'd take Danilo.
Interesting. Will have to watch both. Thanks again.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
They made it! 1-1 after extra time. Good stuff.

Hopefully the fact that they made it without winning a game doesn't make people cry... again.

NYAS

Did anyone just see that Salvio goal for Benfica against Pacos? Absolutely gorgeous dummy by Mitroglou.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Did anyone just see that Salvio goal for Benfica against Pacos? Absolutely gorgeous dummy by Mitroglou.
Mitroglou has been great for Benfica. Gonçalo Guedes scored a good goal too in the first half. At least they're scoring nice goals instead of the usual shit goals.. It hurts less this way.

Gonçalo Guedes is the first Benfica player ever that I actually like. Hopefully he does something cnutish in the near future.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

I will have to be humble due to a limited foundation, but this differs greatly from my own opinion on them. I realize you must be correct as William was the prefered one in the Euros. But I've seen Willian quite a bit and consider him almost slow and clumpsy.

I've must have been lucky with Danilo, because he has impressed greatly.

Statistically they are both very similar both being the focal point of their team. Whats quite impressive with Danilo in this perspect is the share of forward passes, 75 % so far this season. You will struggle to find his match. The passes on average are 20m, and a completion rate of 92%. For William the numbers are similar, 70%, 18 m and 88%.

To put these numbers in some more perspective;
In 2012/2013 Michael Carricks numbers were 75%, 18,67 m and 88% completion.

Difference obviously is that Carrick did it over an entire season and in the PL.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I will have to be humble due to a limited foundation, but this differs greatly from my own opinion on them. I realize you must be correct as William was the prefered one in the Euros. But I've seen Willian quite a bit and consider him almost slow and clumpsy.

I've must have been lucky with Danilo, because he has impressed greatly.

Statistically they are both very similar both being the focal point of their team. Whats quite impressive with Danilo in this perspect is the share of forward passes, 75 % so far this season. You will struggle to find his match. The passes on average are 20m, and a completion rate of 92%. For William the numbers are similar, 70%, 18 m and 88%.

To put these numbers in some more perspective;
In 2012/2013 Michael Carricks numbers were 75%, 18,67 m and 88% completion.

Difference obviously is that Carrick did it over an entire season and in the PL.
William is slow but he's not clumpsy at all. He's fantastic technically. He's pretty similar to Carrick actually, except he's better defensively and in the air, but a bit slower. I don't know how to find those kind of stats, can you check what last years' stats were?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Also, we're officially fecking shit. Words can't describe how shit Nacional are playing and somehow we're not winning at half time. Of course we missed a penalty and their keeper had a miraculous save on Gelson too.

I'll drink until I fall the day Zeegelaar leaves the club. Absolutely awful player. Everytime he doesn't pass the ball backwards, he loses it.

Adrien, please come back. I've never seen a team need a player so badly.

VanGaalEra

Also, we're officially fecking shit. Words can't describe how shit Nacional are playing and somehow we're not winning at half time. Of course we missed a penalty and their keeper had a miraculous save on Gelson too.

I'll drink until I fall the day Zeegelaar leaves the club. Absolutely awful player. Everytime he doesn't pass the ball backwards, he loses it.

Adrien, please come back. I've never seen a team need a player so badly.
Sporting in my 20 team acca, wtf was William doing on that penalty?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
feck off you bunch of fecking cnuts. Aren't worth a penny. I'm actually disgusted when I look at the face of most of our players. I hate Sporting's players more than I hate Benfica's players. Absolutely useless. If you think Van Gaal was bad, you should try some of this shit. We'll fight with Braga for 3rd place. We'll get absolutely destroyed on Wednesday vs Dortmund. Bas Dost is alright, the rest of the new players that arrived this summer are absolutely useless. And they're not just useless playing wise, they actually don't give a shit.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Sporting in my 20 team acca, wtf was William doing on that penalty?
The question isn't why William took the penalty so badly. The real question is 'Why the feck was William taking the fecking penalty in the first fecking place??' Has he even scored one in his fecking career?? He always misses. Played a terrible game too. One of his worst with our shirt.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
The question isn't why William took the penalty so badly. The real question is 'Why the feck was William taking the fecking penalty in the first fecking place??' Has he even scored one in his fecking career?? He always misses. Played a terrible game too. One of his worst with our shirt.
When adrien comes back? We really need him and I hope slimani seats the all season for Leicester, we had the team setup for him.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I guess this will do as a NT thread too. Call up to the Letónia game:

This is the best team in our history. It's insane. Better than Eusébio's, better than 2004 and better than when Ronaldo was at his best. And the scary thing is how young these talented players are and how much talent exists in the generations to come.

I have no idea what our best line up is. but I suspect we'll keep the 4-4-2. But will we keep playing a winger (Nani) at striker and a midfielder (João Mário/Renato Sanches) on the sides? Or will André Silva partner Ronaldo and Nani take the midfielder's spot?

Patrício is a beast in goal and he doesn't have competition.

Cancelo vs Cédric vs Nelson Semedo for that right back spot. Cancelo for the easy games and Cédric for the harder ones? Or will Cancelo fully convince defensively? Will Nelson Semedo take it eventually? I have no idea.

Pepe and José Fonte. Perfect pairing. Experienced, calm and agressive at once. Ruben Semedo doesn't have a call up yet, but he's our third best CB even though he's been disapointing lately. Bruno Alves and Neto are solid enough and I have confidence in them if they have to play.

Raphael Guerreiro is brilliant. Coentrão is very good still, when fit. Eliseu is solid. And so is Antunes.

William vs Danilo for the defensive CM spot. With the possibility of using both whilst trying to keep a lead.

André Gomes, João Mário, Renato Sanches, Adrien, João Moutinho, Pizzi... It's almost too much.

For the wings, we can either play 2 of the above, only 1 or none of them. Plenty of options. Gelson Martins is a magician, Bernardo Silva is our answer to Messi, Quaresma is Quaresma and he can put it on Ronaldo's head out of nowhere, Nani was our best player in the Euros... Even Bruma is a possibility.

Up front, André Silva is banging them in for Porto and there's also Cristiano fecking Ronaldo. And Éder of course. Rui Pedro and Zé Gomes are names you'll hear about soon enough. Gonaçalo Guedes is being superb for Benfica and he wasn't even called up.

If we click, we're going to be fighting for the title in Russia. We've never done worse than top8 on a tournament held in Europe. Lost 2 in the quarters, 5 in the semis, 1 in the final and won the other one. The team is probably going to be a bit inexperienced to actually win it in Russia, but I suspect we're going to be one of the best teams there. I'd be disapointed if we don't reach the quarters. This is if we get there of course. That loss against the swiss could be costly.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

The race for the sixth place that allows us to keep that third CL spot is getting better every week.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

The race for the sixth place that allows us to keep that third CL spot is getting better every week.
Our contribution has been massive. Nowadays i'm not really motivated to talk about Sporting. Not in the mood to go to Alvalade this weekend but will end up going as usual. The players don't deserve us supporters.

On a positive note, another call up for Lord Éder. Looking forward to see his magic in the confederations Cup. Hope he keeps up his "form".