Portuguese Football 2016/2017

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Our contribution has been massive. Nowadays i'm not really motivated to talk about Sporting. Not in the mood to go to Alvalade this weekend but will end up going as usual. The players don't deserve us supporters.

On a positive note, another call up for Lord Éder. Looking forward to see his magic in the confederations Cup. Hope he keeps up his "form".
I'm just praying that by January we're not in an awful position and that we make some good buys. It will be a season to forget otherwise.

I don't think we'll be champions but we can make a run in the Europa League and in the cup. I love going to Jamor, so I'll forgive them everyhing if they can make me go.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha fecking zeegelaar just got called to the Netherlands national team ffs

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'm just praying that by January we're not in an awful position and that we make some good buys. It will be a season to forget otherwise.

I don't think we'll be champions but we can make a run in the Europa League and in the cup. I love going to Jamor, so I'll forgive them everyhing if they can make me go.
After all the hype and expectations, winning a cup is simply not enough.

I'm just looking forward to the inevitable Bruno de Carvalho meltdown.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha fecking zeegelaar just got called to the Netherlands national team ffs
Cmon you are kidding right? Ffs Hahahaha my god is Holland that shite nowadays? Seriously Zeegelaar is on par with Grimi and Marian Had as the worst left back i ever saw. What a Joke. Just sell him to an english club, he's a dutch international now after all. Cmon Southampton use some money of a potencial Van Dijk transfer. His thread at Fórum Scp will surely deliver after this jok..call up i mean

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
After all the hype and expectations, winning a cup is simply not enough.

I'm just looking forward to the inevitable Bruno de Carvalho meltdown.
If we stay in second and do well in the cups, then it's not bad. I just hope this squad gets fixed.

I'll take the meltdown if he can fix the squad a bit in January.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Cmon you are kidding right? Ffs Hahahaha my god is Holland that shite nowadays? Seriously Zeegelaar is on par with Grimi and Marian Had as the worst left back i ever saw. What a Joke. Just sell him to an english club, he's a dutch international now after all. Cmon Southampton use some money of a potencial Van Dijk transfer. His thread at Fórum Scp will surely deliver after this jok..call up i mean
I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It's surreal.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It's surreal.
From getting practically non stop insults from Sporting supporters to dutch international in a space of a month. Football, bloody hell! :lol:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Make sure you don't miss tomorrow's Porto-Benfica. Benfica with a lot of injuries so if Porto manages to win, it can launch a title battle. A Benfica win would set them up nicely to basically run away with it.

After that there's Sporting-Arouca and Maritimo-Braga.

Chaves drew with Paços de Ferreira today and here's Paços' great goal:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
One of the biggest rivalries in the world, two great teams, plenty of young prospects to watch, a nice atmosphere and an entire stadium full of cnuts.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Well, we gifted them the luck. Unbelievable stupidity by Herrera offering them a corner with no need.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Herrera, one of the most experienced players in Porto's squad, goes in and offers them a corner in the last minute. I don't know how Porto fans tolerate him. He shouldn't even be near the armband.

This draw isn't too bad for us Sporting fans. It keeps things interesting.

ZAGREB RED

Porto hit by a classic sucker punch after an unnecessary corner gave Benfica one last chance.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I think draw is terrible for anyone but Benfica. Even for Sporting. You can equal Porto now, but Benfica remains unbeaten and goes from one of their hardest matches with their morale untouched. It would have been their first loss in the league.

Problem with Benfica is that they rarely lose points against the smaller teams, so if the big ones don't beat them it's just an open road to the title. Even last year they only made 3 points in 4 matches against main rivals yet still won the league with relative ease.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I think 3 matches from now after Benfica-Sporting we'll have a better idea of the significance of this result for us. I'm really scared of getting third because I just know we would find a way to lose the playoff, so I'm playing cautious and thinking about 2nd before I think about 1st, that's all.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Benfica - 26
Porto - 21
Sporting - 21
Guimarães - 20
Braga - 20
Chaves - 14

That's 4 northern clubs in the top 6.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Portugal's manequim challenge:

These are pretty good

Also found this great portuguese football youtube channel:

Varun

Staff
Not well enough, he can be solid and I like him, but he's rightfully lost his place in our starting 11. Ruben Semedo is better.
I see, cheers. Have high hopes from him, let's see. Should be coming into his own at this age so it's a bit sad that he's lost his place

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

And from the same youtube channel, a portuguese chant from the Euros sung in the beginning that actually predicted what would happen in the future.

Abel, meteste a tua mão, (Abel, you handballed it)
Fodeste a nossa seleção (And fecked our national team) - reference to the Euro 2000 Abel Xavier handball in the semis
Agora cá estamos outra vez, (But now we're here again)
Para varrermos com o francês. (To sweep away the french)
Com as bandeiras à janela, (With our flags on our windows)
O cigano faz a trivela (The gypsy does the trivela)
E o Éder fatura com a canela. (And Éder scores with his shin)
O Ronaldo levanta a taça (Ronaldo lifts the cup)
O emigra invade a praça (The emmigrants invade the streets)
E as francesas vêm com os tugas para casa. (And the french women come home with us)

It's a bit weird listening to it now, knowing what happened after. We beat the french, won the cup and Quaresma and Éder scored crucial goals. Don't know about the french women though

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I see, cheers. Have high hopes from him, let's see. Should be coming into his own at this age so it's a bit sad that he's lost his place
I don't want him to leave, but it would probably be wise for him to go. I don't see him getting to the starting 11 anytime soon.

izec

Why is the U19 team so bad? Lost against Bulgaria and now 1-1 against Belarus. I thought they are traditionally one of the better teams

SalfordCitizen

I think draw is terrible for anyone but Benfica. Even for Sporting. You can equal Porto now, but Benfica remains unbeaten and goes from one of their hardest matches with their morale untouched. It would have been their first loss in the league.

Problem with Benfica is that they rarely lose points against the smaller teams, so if the big ones don't beat them it's just an open road to the title. Even last year they only made 3 points in 4 matches against main rivals yet still won the league with relative ease.
Do the small teams even try to beat Benfica? I watch most of Benficas games and it seems to me that they are rolling over easily for them and they look beat even when they are standing in the tunnel looking at the Benfica players.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Why is the U19 team so bad? Lost against Bulgaria and now 1-1 against Belarus. I thought they are traditionally one of the better teams
This generation isn't that good. We have quality, but the best players aren't being chosen too. It was a pretty bad selection of players. The younger ones are part of the generation that won the U-17 Euro a year ago, but they are obviously the second generation so they aren't quite ready to play ahead of the others.

Moreto, Vinagre, Rui Pedro, Pedro Jordão, Jordão, etc stayed at home... Zé Gomes and Rui Pires atart on the bench...

We still deserved more than 1 point from these games and only need to beat Denmark to go through. I'm not too worried about it.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Do the small teams even try to beat Benfica? I watch most of Benficas games and it seems to me that they are rolling over easily for them and they look beat even when they are standing in the tunnel looking at the Benfica players.
Well... I don't know. My opinion would be inherently biased on this. It's the kind of thing many Porto or Sporting fans whine about ("they try harder against us") when referring to the smaller teams, but I do try to stay away from those thoughts. It would make enjoying our league impossible, I don't know how anyone can enjoy football when they assume all the tables are turned against their team. Same thing goes for refereeing.

Truth be told, Benfica, from 7 years to this part, have been very effective at dispatching smaller teams. There's a big gap between the 3 big and everyone else in Portugal, so the league, besides matches against each other, boils down to how effective the bigger teams are at dealing with smaller teams parking the bus. Since Jesus became their coach, Benfica has been consistently good at this, with a very attacking strategy, plenty of good attacking options to deal with injuries, etc. They aren't nearly as good against the big rivals or strong European opponents, but the consistency gets the job done for them in internal competitions.

I think they get more help from favourable refereeing than from smaller teams rolling over. If they some how roll over it's most likely due to fear or poor expectations from the game, which is in itself Benfica's merit. Porto has been so poor and inconsistent in the last few years, that it's natural that smaller teams feel more confident playing against us. We can go 90 minutes with only one or two attempts on goal, that's how poor we are.

Refereeing is another question. Any individual incident/mistake in their favour is inherently subjective, and hard to gauge fairly as a fan, but when you add them up you get some pretty weird statistical data that rarely happens anywhere else. They've won a league whilst having an opponent sent off in half the matches, and they have gone 3 years with only one straight red from their team. 100 games and only one straight send off. FFS. You don't need to watch the league to know they get some pretty favourable refereeing, it just shouldn't happen.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
You have to take into account that 1 Benfica player is paid more than the full squad of 80% of our league's teams, so most of the times smaller teams simply can't play football.

We have probably (maybe with Scotland) the most unbalanced league in the world. I mean just look at the number of titles, it's ridiculous:

Benfica 35
FC Porto 27
Sporting 18
Belenenses 1
Boavista 1

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You have to take into account that 1 Benfica player is paid more than the full squad of 80% of our league's teams, so most of the times smaller teams simply can't play football.

We have probably (maybe with Scotland) the most unbalanced league in the world. I mean just look at the number of titles, it's ridiculous:

Benfica 35
FC Porto 27
Sporting 18
Belenenses 1
Boavista 1
No wonder Boavista well know around the millennium. I remember that team but didn't think at the time that it was out of the ordinary that they were champions. All teams from the two most populous districts as well.

Benfica - 26
Porto - 21
Sporting - 21
Guimarães - 20
Braga - 20
Chaves - 14

That's 4 northern clubs in the top 6.
What's considered northern?

Arruda

Supports
Porto
No wonder Boavista well know around the millennium. I remember that team but didn't think at the time that it was out of the ordinary that they were champions. All teams from the two most populous districts as well.

What's considered northern?
Douro River and above, I suppose. I don't think there's a clear definition anywhere, but the districts south of the river are usually regarded as Center, and Porto is the capital of the North...

What Boavista did was outstanting (Belenenses title was about 70 years ago). Braga (another northern team) was very close to achieving the same recently, but they bottled it.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Porto out of the cup on the first round!

Chaves beat them on penalties after a 0-0 draw in 120 minutes. This Chaves team is very good and they have that entire region of the country behind them. There's nothing in the world like hearing some transmontanos yelling 'Gatuno' to the ref. I think they'll manage to fight for the fifth spot, which would be an insane acomplishment.

Token Sheet

"No 6 bus to Old Trafford 6p, Admission to re
Porto out of the cup on the first round!

Chaves beat them on penalties after a 0-0 draw in 120 minutes. This Chaves team is very good and they have that entire region of the country behind them. There's nothing in the world like hearing some transmontanos yelling 'Gatuno' to the ref. I think they'll manage to fight for the fifth spot, which would be an insane acomplishment.
Good to see a promoted team doing well in the top division.
I'm back over in a couple of weeks to see my second team Portimonense continue their efforts in getting promoted this season after last year's heartache.
I do find the lack of top flight southern Portuguese teams quite bizarre.
Hopefully we'll buck the trend.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Another nail in the coffin.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country

And from the same youtube channel, a portuguese chant from the Euros sung in the beginning that actually predicted what would happen in the future.

Abel, meteste a tua mão, (Abel, you handballed it)
Fodeste a nossa seleção (And fecked our national team) - reference to the Euro 2000 Abel Xavier handball in the semis
Agora cá estamos outra vez, (But now we're here again)
Para varrermos com o francês. (To sweep away the french)
Com as bandeiras à janela, (With our flags on our windows)
O cigano faz a trivela (The gypsy does the trivela)
E o Éder fatura com a canela. (And Éder scores with his shin)
O Ronaldo levanta a taça (Ronaldo lifts the cup)
O emigra invade a praça (The emmigrants invade the streets)
E as francesas vêm com os tugas para casa. (And the french women come home with us)

It's a bit weird listening to it now, knowing what happened after. We beat the french, won the cup and Quaresma and Éder scored crucial goals. Don't know about the french women though
:devil:

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Good to see a promoted team doing well in the top division.
I'm back over in a couple of weeks to see my second team Portimonense continue their efforts in getting promoted this season after last year's heartache.
I do find the lack of top flight southern Portuguese teams quite bizarre.
Hopefully we'll buck the trend.
North = industries
South (except Algarve)=

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Sporting survives the awful refereeing with a 1-0 away win at Boavista. Bas Dost with the goal, Ruben Semedo sent off somehow.