Portuguese Football 2016/2017

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I don't even feel like complaining about that second goal. We're shit. The thing is Porto aren't much better

I'd rather play with 10 than have Zeegelaar on the team. I'd rather lose without him than draw with him. Just get rid of the idiot

NYAS

Looks like Benfica-Porto on the 2nd of April will be the only match of the Portuguese league season worth watching. Title-decider.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
We were better than them and we're 9 points behind. If we were Benfica that Coates header would have gone in. It just seems like nothing goes our way and it's incredibly frustrating.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
We won 3-2 away to Moreirense but not without making the fans contemplate suicide at various points in the match. Porto with a very important 2-0 win at Guimarães and Benfica with an easy win at home.

Benfica - 51
Porto - 50
Sporting - 41
Braga - 37 (one game less)

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Benfica in tough matches in the league this season:

Porto 1-1 Benfica
Benfica 2-1 Sporting
Braga 0-1 Benfica (today)

They haven't been the better team once. It's impressive how efficient they are and full credit to them. If this continues they might even eliminate Dortmund

Benfica - 54
Porto - 53
Sporting - 44
Braga - 38

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Is Guedes (PSG) a good player?
If you want my opinion he should have stayed at Benfica, I do not see him at this moment being better than Lucas Moura, because in Benfica he was playing as an second striker, in PSG they play in 4/3/3 so he probaly will have to play as an winger.

And he is not the typical portuguese winger with dribbling and creativity, likes more to make movements inside the area and creating spaces, I am against these type of players leaving so soon the country when they are going for mega clubs like Bayern, PSG or others, he should have stayed at least until 2018, and we would see if he would develop tactically.

But if he is not playing yet it is because he is behind the current wingers.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
If you want my opinion he should have stayed at Benfica, I do not see him at this moment being better than Lucas Moura, because in Benfica he was playing as an second striker, in PSG they play in 4/3/3 so he probaly will have to play as an winger.

And he is not the typical portuguese winger with dribbling and creativity, likes more to make movements inside the area and creating spaces, I am against these type of players leaving so soon the country when they are going for mega clubs like Bayern, PSG or others, he should have stayed at least until 2018, and we would see if he would develop tactically.

But if he is not playing yet it is because he is behind the current wingers.
In Paris he is viewed as the sub of Cavani if the latter is injured.

Yeah, Guedes and Renato Sanches have left the country too early.

Always the same story with Portuguese clubs, just put a lot of money on the table and everything is for sale :lol:

Because Benfica did need him to win the title and be good against Dortmund.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
In Paris he is viewed as the sub of Cavani if the latter is injured.

Yeah, Guedes and Renato Sanches have left the country too early.

Always the same story with Portuguese clubs, just put a lot of money on the table and everything is for sale :lol:

Because Benfica did need him to win the title and be good against Dortmund.
What replacement of Cavani, are they crazy, at least Kluivert might know in which position he played no?

The problem with Benfica is that they need to sell to cover the costs of the squad and the large investments they made on their academy on the last years, but as I said the only player who left Portugal to play for an top club with less than 22 years and who made it was Ronaldo.

I hope I am wrong, but PSG fans need to know he has nothing to do with an striker, hopefully Kluivert or Emery know that.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What replacement of Cavani, are they crazy, at least Kluivert might know in which position he played no?

The problem with Benfica is that they need to sell to cover the costs of the squad and the large investments they made on their academy on the last years, but as I said the only player who left Portugal to play for an top club with less than 22 years and who made it was Ronaldo.

I hope I am wrong, but PSG fans need to know he has nothing to do with an striker, hopefully Kluivert or Emery know that.
Sorry, I'm wrong. They know it's an offensive midfielder.

I didn't research about him because I did want to have the surprise :D

I'm surprised he joined the team so early because the top priority was the recruitment of a back-up in attack if Cavani is injured.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sorry, I'm wrong. They know it's an offensive midfielder.

I didn't research about him because I did want to have the surprise :D

I'm surprised he joined the team so early because the top priority was the recruitment of a back-up in attack if Cavani is injured.
Maybe Kluivert is not so competent as Leonardo, or he is not working closely with Emery, because offensive midfielder is Lo Celso who they signed from Rosario Central, actually an very good prospect from Argentina, but still they even don't play Ben Arfa, lets wait for next season, it looks Emery doesn't want to win the League.

They only have Augustin as backup for Cavani?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Is Guedes (PSG) a good player?
I agree with @SCP. He made the wrong move at the wrong time, but he's very good and I like him a lot as a player. Has lots of energy, pressures the opponents, he's a great dribbler and he has the Lampard/Muller 'arrival at the box' timing. Decision making isn't there yet, but he's young so there's plenty of time for that.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Maybe Kluivert is not so competent as Leonardo, or he is not working closely with Emery, because offensive midfielder is Lo Celso who they signed from Rosario Central, actually an very good prospect from Argentina, but still they even don't play Ben Arfa, lets wait for next season, it looks Emery doesn't want to win the League.

They only have Augustin as backup for Cavani?
I agree with @SCP. He made the wrong move at the wrong time, but he's very good and I like him a lot as a player. Has lots of energy, pressures the opponents, he's a great dribbler and he has the Lampard/Muller 'arrival at the box' timing. Decision making isn't there yet, but he's young so there's plenty of time for that.
Thanks.

Augustin and Krychowiak currently play with the reserve team. Augustin refused to be loaned last winter and renew his contract (end of contract 2018)

If Cavani doesn't play, Ben Arfa is used as a (very) 'false 9'.

Next summer, I think the club won't recruit new midfielders and will try to sell Jésé (on loan now), Krychowiak and Ben Arfa IMO.

End of contract next summer for Motta (35 years next August): it could release a new seat in the midfield.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Terrible result for Porto. 1-1 at home vs Setubal right before the game away at Benfica and after Benfica drew 0-0 away at Paços de Ferreira.

Benfica - 64
Porto - 63
Sporting - 54

Huge Benfica-Porto after the international break

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Terrible result for Porto. 1-1 at home vs Setubal right before the game away at Benfica and after Benfica drew 0-0 away at Paços de Ferreira.

Benfica - 64
Porto - 63
Sporting - 54

Huge Benfica-Porto after the international break
If Benfica wins Porto does not have an chance, unfortunately the level of the league is falling down, it is boring to watch SCP play these days.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
If Benfica wins Porto does not have an chance, unfortunately the level of the league is falling down, it is boring to watch SCP play these days.
I'm expecting a draw with both teams too afraid to lose. I don't think the level of the league is falling that much, it's just that we have nothing more to play for this season so it gets a bit stale.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I'm expecting a draw with both teams too afraid to lose. I don't think the level of the league is falling that much, it's just that we have nothing more to play for this season so it gets a bit stale.
I am not talking abou Sporting only, the level of the league overall is going down for me, even Benfica and Porto are worse than they were 5 years ago, quality of players, intensity of the matches, that is why when we play against teams from Germany or Spain we suffer.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I am not talking abou Sporting only, the level of the league overall is going down for me, even Benfica and Porto are worse than they were 5 years ago, quality of players, intensity of the matches, that is why when we play against teams from Germany or Spain we suffer.
From 5 years ago, Porto has declined but both Benfica and Sporting have improved. I get what you're saying though, the standard has definitely been lowered and to be champions you don't need to be a great team anymore

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
From 5 years ago, Porto has declined but both Benfica and Sporting have improved. I get what you're saying though, the standard has definitely been lowered and to be champions you don't need to be a great team anymore
Sporting has improved from 5 years ago, even if this year the football declined, Porto and Benfica I do not agree, their level of play was better, just my opinion.

NYAS

Can't wait for the Benfica V Porto game after the break :drool: will have to record it and watch it after I finish watching the French League Cup final (PSG V Monaco) so I'll have to find a way to avoid knowing the score that night. I hate that they overlap (Portuguese game starts half an hour after the final).

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Just to remind the ones interested on the big game tonight. It's bound to be intense. Both teams separated by just one point for weeks now.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
FC PORTO: Casillas; Maxi, Felipe, Marcano, Alex Telles; Danilo, Óliver e André André; Corona, Tiquinho Soares e Brahimi
BENFICA: Ederson; Nélson Semedo, Luisão, Lindelof e Eliseu; Salvio, Samaris, Pizzi e Rafa; Jonas e Mitroglou

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
1-1 in the end. Good result for Porto, they just need to do their part and wait for a favour from Sporting.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Benfica got outplayed by Moreirense and should have finished the match with 9 men on the pitch. They scored from a non existent foul and won 1-0. Classic Benfica.

Porto and Sporting won easy home games. Bas Dost is tying with Messi for the golden boot.

Benfica - 68
Porto - 67
Sporting - 60

6 games to go.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Huge Lisbon derby today. Trouble has already started as there were fights between the ultras last night and a Fiorentina fan was killed. Fiorentina's and Sporting's ultras are friends which means it's normal to see Fiorentina fans at Sporting matches and the other way around. Awful news to start the day and hopefully the trouble ends here.

Benfica-71 points (+47 goal difference)
Porto - 68 (+49 goal difference)
Sporting 63

Derby starts at 20h30. Porto play tomorrow vs Feirense at home in what should be an easy win.

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sick and tired of Jorge Jesus, Sporting 1 - Benfica 1 final score. :annoyed:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I loved the duel between Grimaldo and Gelson Martins
Really, I as Sporting fan am not so happy but yes each 1 of them has their qualities.

You watched the game on Tv?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
We have so many brainless players. They scored a goal out of nowhere and we had no response. Shit game to end a shit season. I'll give Jorge Jesus one more season, either we're champions or he will leave.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We have so many brainless players.
Schellotto, Jefferson, I am going to say one thing to you, if someone made an reasonable offer for Patricio I wouldn't mind to see him going too, we can find same or even better goalkeepers with smaller wages I guess.

Shit game to end a shit season. I'll give Jorge Jesus one more season, either we're champions or he will leave.
Simple for me, winning the League next year or no I think he should go, we should redirect the amount of money we are spending in the Academy, we cannot stop in the past, and for me he is not the ideal person to integrate players with that profile.

izec

Is Rui Patricio not that good? I was pretty impressed with his Euro performances and he was linked with City at the start of the season.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Is Rui Patricio not that good? I was pretty impressed with his Euro performances and he was linked with City at the start of the season.
It is nothing personal against him, but as an fan I am so tired to watch him all these years with us only winning a few Cups and Supercups, I would like to see him leaving the comfort zone. :D

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Selling Rui would just create another problem to fix. He's a Sporting legend at this point, he's clearly good enough and with the players we've been buying I'm not confident we'd find a good replacement. Looking at it from his perspective, he should probably leave though.

I actually think if we had two proper footballers as fullbacks our team would immediatly play much better. Even with this team that's clearly not good enough we won't end too far away from the top. We need to have a great transfer window and hope players like Gelson, Podence and Semedo can take an extra step next season. With a bad transfer window and if we lose the CL playoff, next season has the potential to be a disaster too.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Meh. I expect them to keep on winning for a while. Tough times.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You guys follow football? I'm a cricket fan nowadays. I couldn't care less about this

sigh

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Sporting are very close to signing Bebeto's son Mattheus Oliveira from Estoril. Here's Bebeto celebrating his son's birth :drool:

It's cool and he shouldn't cost too much but it's far from being an exciting signing

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

:drool:
Deserved. He has been a great servant of our club and NT.

On other news, i'm praying these news of Jorge Jesus to PSG are true. Unfortunately, I doubt it will happen though