Portuguese Football 2018/19

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Benfica's defending tonight is comedy gold.

Two cracking own goals so far.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
A porto win tomorrow all but puts them one hand on the trophy ( yes I'm pessimistic) the reason I say this is because even if Sporting win tomorrow sporting being in second place is what Porto want because they know we are not a threat and are bottler experts. Braga are not a threat to Porto either because they cant beat the top 2 which leaves Benfica as their challenger and they are 7 points behind if Porto win tomorrow.

It would take Porto fecking up themselves for them to lose the title now.

God I am so pessimistic.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Went into the stadium today. We won but watching the game there I cannot imagine us playing against Porto or Braga.

I saw Mathieu and Coates man marking Belenenses players. No surprise we allow so many chances to our opponents.

Good thing was Miguel Luis scoring for us. Another player from the Academy.

SportingCP96

Supports
Went into the stadium today. We won but watching the game there I cannot imagine us playing against Porto or Braga.

I saw Mathieu and Coates man marking Belenenses players. No surprise we allow so many chances to our opponents.

Good thing was Miguel Luis scoring for us. Another player from the Academy.
Miguel Luis was rather poor all game though I am delighted he scored young player still. I agree with everything else though we are 2nd place but we are not title contenders.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Aves hit the bar in the last minute, of fecking course.

Porto are winning it, impossible to win as many points as they've won this way without winning the league in the end.

They're the best team this year

SportingCP96

Supports
Aves hit the bar in the last minute, of fecking course.

Porto are winning it, impossible to win as many points as they've won this way without winning the league in the end.

They're the best team this year
The League is over. It is a battle for the last CL place now.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
João Félix remembers João Vieira Pinto. They won 4:2.

SportingCP96

Supports
Sporting will never change they are a a bunch of chokers every year it’s the same thing all the god dam time! We do not have a winning mentality AT ALL there is no spine ! They are not able to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and come out with a victory ! There are no words to explain this fecking loss!

Porto (un)officially crowned champions today.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Sporting will never change they are a a bunch of chokers every year it’s the same thing all the god dam time! We do not have a winning mentality AT ALL there is no spine ! They are not able to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and come out with a victory ! There are no words to explain this fecking loss!

Porto (un)officially crowned champions today.
Like Tottenham or Leverkusen.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
4 minutes of added time, any other league and they give us 15. Football in Portugal is designed to help the teams that play shithouse football, wasting time and diving gets massively rewarded.

No excuses for this though, we miss sitters, they score Puskas candidates. Same old shit really.

We were never winning the league this year anyway, if we play our cards right we have a great shot at it next year though

SportingCP96

Supports
Like Tottenham or Leverkusen.
We are one of the “big 3” yet while the other 2 easily dispatch the other clubs aside we like to feed the bottom dwellers points ! All we had to do was win today and then we play Porto at home on Saturday and if we win that the title race is on. But what happen ? We lose of course and now Saturday’s game is pointless we are 8 points behind after Porto win today and the season is over. Fecking joke they drive me insane. My mood is completely fecked thanks to these spineless feckers.:mad:

SportingCP96

Supports
4 minutes of added time, any other league and they give us 15. Football in Portugal is designed to help the teams that play shithouse football, wasting time and diving gets massively rewarded.

No excuses for this though, we miss sitters, they score Puskas candidates. Same old shit really.

We were never winning the league this year anyway, if we play our cards right we have a great shot at it next year though
“Great shot at it next year “. Not a chance this club does not know how to win shit. It’s not changing anytime soon. We didn’t win in 15/16 and that was our best team in the last 15 years so it won’t be happening for a long long long time.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@SportingCP96 How on earth you were expecting a team who had a implosion during the summer to win when on the last 3 seasons with better players and a guy being paid as a millionaire you won a Supercup or a Cup?

Sure we should have won but if everytime we have a bad result you start insulting your club maybe it’s better to support another club?

You can say whatever you want but throwing insults to the team you support based on a result isn’t a good reaction to have.

Nothing that I didn’t do in the past tbh :wenger:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was typing out that mammoth Chelsea cup draw and flicked back to Oporto and there was an ambulance on the pitch.

Think a defender called Rosic was knocked out cold but don't know what happened.

SportingCP96

Supports
@SportingCP96 How on earth you were expecting a team who had a implosion during the summer to win when on the last 3 seasons with better players and a guy being paid as a millionaire you won a Supercup or a Cup?

Sure we should have won but if everytime we have a bad result you start insulting your club maybe it’s better to support another club?

You can say whatever you want but throwing insults to the team you support based on a result isn’t a good reaction to have.

Nothing that I didn’t do in the past tbh :wenger:
I will never support another club because my love for this club runs very deep hence there results affect me as much as they do. It is not every time and its not Insulting but rather saying what anyone who follows this club knows. They are spineless they have no winning mentality at all and when the cards are on the line...they choke. Its aggravating because it's always the same and the writing was on the wall. I said weeks ago attack looked good but defense is really worrying and it caught up with them.

I didn't expect them to win the title after what happened but Benfica are in shambles and Braga are Braga we clearly were on a good run and for two weeks had moments to build a points lead on 3rd and 4th place. My main goal for Sporting because the title was a longshot was to get into the CL Benfica don't have a coach and have a shit squad yet still manage to get ahead of us.

I have been around this club through a lot go shit even when we finished 7th place I watched every game. I will Never stop supporting this club and showing the passion that I do. But as a socio and a true fan and how much I love this club the emotions are hard to hide when something like this happens.

Aha I dont know you but I dont doubt the fact that you have done the same Sporting makes us crazy as you said the other day it is not easy to support this club.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@SportingCP96 Its not easy. Reality is clubs who lost their winning identity for decades turn their supporters less patient which has the result to make the life of their coaches harder because they feel they are always closer to being sacked than at other clubs.

Last time we had someone managing us for more than 2 seasons on the last 25 years was JJ and Paulo Bento. Impossible to win Leagues like this. A Cup here or there ok, anyway we shouldn't have lost at Tondela ffs. I saw on the stadium us against Belenenses and left there imagining we could lose points at Tondela, but at least a draw wasn't asking much.

Can't say I will be surprised if we lose the next one vs Porto tbh. What's tragic is that they didn't won at our stadium with AVB or Vitor Pereira with great squads and us with pathetic squads like the ones with Jesualdo or Paulo Sérgio.

Well, there's always Futsal or Hockey to save the season. :mad:

SportingCP96

Supports
@SportingCP96 Its not easy. Reality is clubs who lost their winning identity for decades turn their supporters less patient which has the result to make the life of their coaches harder because they feel they are always closer to being sacked than at other clubs.

Last time we had someone managing us for more than 2 seasons on the last 25 years was JJ and Paulo Bento. Impossible to win Leagues like this. A Cup here or there ok, anyway we shouldn't have lost at Tondela ffs. I saw on the stadium us against Belenenses and left there imagining we could lose points at Tondela, but at least a draw wasn't asking much.

Can't say I will be surprised if we lose the next one vs Porto tbh. What's tragic is that they didn't won at our stadium with AVB or Vitor Pereira with great squads and us with pathetic squads like the ones with Jesualdo or Paulo Sérgio.

Well, there's always Futsal or Hockey to save the season. :mad:
@SCP I agree granted for a club who has not won shit in the last 17 years we have some of the most demanding fans in the world. What drives me insane is in the last few years Sporting has been a "tease" 15/16 I was as sure as ever that the title was finally hours but because we are chokers AND some "outside" help we lost it all. The following season I thought we were going to build on it and challenge till the end we won our first 7 in a row and then.... out of the title race by Christmas. Last season 8 wins from 8 I think and we were in the title race for the whole season and could have won it THEN we still had a chance to secure CL and the money that comes with it , what happens ? we choke AGAIN and fall to third place. I swear sometimes I think we are cursed.

Never know even though I think we will lose but Porto have not beat us at home in 10 years granted most of the times it was a draw anyway.

Nonetheless A ganhar o a perder SPORTING ate morrer

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@SCP I agree granted for a club who has not won shit in the last 17 years we have some of the most demanding fans in the world. What drives me insane is in the last few years Sporting has been a "tease" 15/16 I was as sure as ever that the title was finally hours but because we are chokers AND some "outside" help we lost it all. The following season I thought we were going to build on it and challenge till the end we won our first 7 in a row and then.... out of the title race by Christmas. Last season 8 wins from 8 I think and we were in the title race for the whole season and could have won it THEN we still had a chance to secure CL and the money that comes with it , what happens ? we choke AGAIN and fall to third place. I swear sometimes I think we are cursed.

Never know even though I think we will lose but Porto have not beat us at home in 10 years granted most of the times it was a draw anyway.

Nonetheless A ganhar o a perder SPORTING ate morrer
If we play like today I think Porto can easily win. Hope I am wrong.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
To be fair, the Portuguese league is very unforgiving. You lose a game and you may as well be screwed for the season. With a foreign coach like Kaizer you should never except to be champions after almost what? 2 decades? especially after the pre-season implosion. Kaizer might be a bit naive, like Co Adrianse, Lopetegui and many other foreigners were. But if your ideas are good and if the supporters are patient, you may build the foundations to be champions sooner than later.

The biggest mistake is to do what the Portuguese media and rival supporters wants, that is to have the club in crisis. They have news to sell after all. You need your club running on a very well prepared system, like Porto does currently, even when playing bad, you should have other options to score goals and win games.

Your manager didn't have a pre-season nor any of his players. So give him some time and patience, don't fall for the media trap.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
To be fair, the Portuguese league is very unforgiving. You lose a game and you may as well be screwed for the season. With a foreign coach like Kaizer you should never except to be champions after almost what? 2 decades? especially after the pre-season implosion. Kaizer might be a bit naive, like Co Adrianse, Lopetegui and many other foreigners were. But if your ideas are good and if the supporters are patient, you may build the foundations to be champions sooner than later.

The biggest mistake is to do what the Portuguese media and rival supporters wants, that is to have the club in crisis. They have news to sell after all. You need your club running on a very well prepared system, like Porto does currently, even when playing bad, you should have other options to score goals and win games.

Your manager didn't have a pre-season nor any of his players. So give him some time and patience, don't fall for the media trap.
I have similar opinion: the team play is much better under Marcel Keizer, even without pre-season: there's more dynamic, more willing to press high up the pitch, but as the team doesn't press as whole yet it becomes exposed on the counter.
Sporting lost the game, but they tried to control the game and have possession. They just miss not having a more creative forward, since Dost is quite limited technically and Nani + Jovane are very vertical.

I do think Keizer is a good gamble for next season: his ideas are actually good and with a few hirings they might be challenging for the title.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Casillas

Militão-Pepe-Felipe-Telles

Has to be one of the best backlines in the history of portuguese football.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Casillas

A shame for Militao’s development though. He looks a potential star at CB.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
A shame for Militao’s development though. He looks a potential star at CB.
We'll still have to wait and see what signing Pepe means, wouldn't be surprised if Porto had bought Pepe because there are clubs paying Militão's release clause.

They're already stacked at CB so I don't know if they just brought in Pepe because they could or because someone is leaving.

SportingCP96

Supports
Casillas

Ridiculous backline Pepe has a good few years to last in the Portuguese league amd his experience will be vital in Europe. Porto looked in trouble a few Years ago but they are a very well run club and bounced back brilliantly. I sense a few years of Porto domination in Portuguese football again.

Keep in mint they don’t even have a great striker if they were to sign a striker as good as some as they have had in their history they would be a serious problem.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised Casillas still starts, how's his level nowadays?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's great. Definitely not good enough to start for Real Madrid but he's been great, he's the best goalkeeper in the league.
Surprised, he looked totally washed up in 2014 for club and country. Will have to watch a few Porto matches to see what he's like.

SportingCP96

Supports
He's great. Definitely not good enough to start for Real Madrid but he's been great, he's the best goalkeeper in the league.
I agree still has a year or so to give in this league. Since Patricio left he took over as the best keeper in the league.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Great prospect to face Porto next. As I predicted already fans demanding the manager to be sacked. This club has no solution.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Ridiculous backline Pepe has a good few years to last in the Portuguese league amd his experience will be vital in Europe. Porto looked in trouble a few Years ago but they are a very well run club and bounced back brilliantly. I sense a few years of Porto domination in Portuguese football again.

Keep in mint they don’t even have a great striker if they were to sign a striker as good as some as they have had in their history they would be a serious problem.
For that happen, Porto needs to make a big sale and get a major % of the sale value, which isn't going to happen because most of their players have high percentages belonging to investment funds.
All big three are having finantial troubles, bus as you can check by finantial analysts Porto's finantial situation is far from being secure.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Been following Portuguese football since 2010. For a bit of a silly reason actually.

When I got Football Manager 2010 in late 2009, I picked a random team and it ended up being Sporting Braga. So ever since then. I am always Braga on FM and I follow Portuguese football to see Braga do well.

I am hoping that they get CL football this season and finish 2nd, hopefully go on a run and win the league. It’s always the same big 2 clubs that win the league. With Sporting always finishing top 3 behind Benfica and Porto.

Apart from Boavista winning the league in 2001, only Porto, Benfica and Sporting have won the league since Belenenses in 1945. The league is less competitive at the top than any other big league.

SportingCP96

Supports
Been following Portuguese football since 2010. For a bit of a silly reason actually.

When I got Football Manager 2010 in late 2009, I picked a random team and it ended up being Sporting Braga. So ever since then. I am always Braga on FM and I follow Portuguese football to see Braga do well.

I am hoping that they get CL football this season and finish 2nd, hopefully go on a run and win the league. It’s always the same big 2 clubs that win the league. With Sporting always finishing top 3 behind Benfica and Porto.

Apart from Boavista winning the league in 2001, only Porto, Benfica and Sporting have won the league since Belenenses in 1945. The league is less competitive at the top than any other big league.
Bar Scotland yes I agree but the emergence of Braga in the past decade has been good for the league too.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Bar Scotland yes I agree but the emergence of Braga in the past decade has been good for the league too.
Boavista going down and struggling financially or Vitória Guimarães having good support but crap management over the years didn’t helped either.