Portuguese Football 2018/19

Yagami

Good post resistant
Nakajima is quality, surprised Portimonese got him back full time.
He really is! :drool:

I called his potential back in the 2015 Olympics thread. I backed another Japanese player to succeed from that group but let's forget about that :nervous:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
@KirkDuyt @totaalvoetbal @legolegs @Gate99 Tell me something useful regarding Marcel Keizer.
Did well with Ajax' youth team and was promoted to head coach. Was out of his depth there initially, but just when he seemed to get his team playing football he was sacked.

Tactically fine, but no discernable personality. Better as an assistent our field trainer if you ask me.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Did well with Ajax' youth team and was promoted to head coach. Was out of his depth there initially, but just when he seemed to get his team playing football he was sacked.

Tactically fine, but no discernable personality. Better as an assistent our field trainer if you ask me.
Ok I will take your insight and we shall see if he comes here how will he adapt on a difficult mission here. Thanks.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Almost the same players for the Nations League. And Éder. Of course.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Cedric :lol:

Nice to see Andre Gomes and Joao Mario back, Guedes shouldn't have been called up. He's been pretty bad for Valencia.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Peyroteo I can't understand why he doesn't call Ricardo Pereira too. CB's Fonte was needed because Pepe is suspended for 1 game. Other than that yes Guedes should be with the under 21's.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Sean_RedDevil We need to start preparing other options without him. It will be tough in Italy without him and Pepe who is suspended. All in all we have to focus on a new team for 2020.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
So Ronaldo has agreed to "that decision"?
Most probably it was decided between him, Santos, Juventus and the President of the Football Federation. Probably will come to the Euro Qualifiers.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
So been awhile since I posted here but I was at the game in Vila de Conde vs Rio Ave and had to leave some thoughts and opinions.

Marcel Keizer 3 games 3 wins 13 goals scored 3 conceded. I am trying not to get a little excited but its hard. The style of play he has begun to implement at Sporting is so pleasing to the eye with his one touch style of play. The players seem to be enjoying it and interpreting his ideas well. You can see his Ajax roots having an effect of how we play but defensively I think they is a lot of work to be done his idea of using the 5 second method when we first lose the ball means the defense has a higher line which I felt was being exploited way too often. Offensively though it is a different story free flowing football, good build up, great passing combinations very fun to watch and some great goals scored in his first 3 games.

Nani has been fantastic as always adding another assist to his name along with Dost who does what he does best which is score goals 100 games for Sporting and 79 goals. 67 league games 67 goals. The players who have reaped the most benefit though since Marcel Keizer has been at the helm has been Bruno Fernandes and our promising young player Marcus Wendel. Both have been fantastic Bruno Fernandes 4 goals and 1 assist in the last 4 games has been the Maestro and Wendel has been the engine with 3 assists (all in one game). Wendel (21) has grabbed a spot in the starting 11 and I don't see him losing it now he is fantastic. Also Gudelj has been playing well now he has been playing at a similar role to that of Busquets at Barcelona the midfield mesh well together. Lastly the super sub in the team Jovane Cabral who scored an absolute screamer last night 2 minuted after coming on ( see below) he has 4 goals and 6 assists off the bench and makes a goal or assist every 63 minutes.

We are still missing Raphinha who is injured and can't wait to see him starting again in this new style of play Sporting are playing. All in all I have been quite pleased with Keizer I did not expect this quick of a change in such short time and to be honest I was not sure he was the right man for the job but 3 games 3 wins all away from home is very positive and now he has to accessible home fixtures back to back too further cement his ideas as well as playing in front of the Sporting supporters at home. I am excited to watch Sporting play again!

Highlights of last night's win:

League table:
1.Porto- 27 points
2.Sporting- 25 points
3. Braga- 24 points
4. Benfica- 23 points

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This CB kid from Boavista Gonçalo Cardoso looks intriguing to me. Very rarely a player of his age has the chance to play for a Portuguese club, even less not coming from the youth ranks of a big team. One to keep a eye on for the future.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If we keep defending like on the first half we will be spanked at Guimarães. I hope we never more play Jefferson or Bruno César.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised Sporting are as high as 2nd and having better season than Benfica.

Thought with all the turmoil pre season and losing key players for a pittance they'd be down in 5th or 6th. Credit to Bas Dost for staying as he's one who did have legitimate reasons to be first to leave.

SportingCP96

Supports
If we keep defending like on the first half we will be spanked at Guimarães. I hope we never more play Jefferson or Bruno César.
I truly don't understand why he even tried Bruno Cesar their when Miguel Luis did so well midweek. On top of that Bruno had not started 1 game all season truly a shocking decision. As for Jefferson sadly he is the best we have since Acuna was not available. In January lots of moves have to be made we need a left and right back as well as a center mid along with the return of Francisco Geraldes, We also need a good back up striker and the return of Matheus Pereira.

As for Keizer where do I begin...Offensively we are a well oiled machine very fluid when we get going ( that counter attacking move for the 5th goal was brilliant and Bruno Fernandes is a Craque with a capital C) what is that 26 goals in 6 games ? absurd. Now defensively is where we leave much to be desired, Not one game have we looked solid at the back only 1 clean sheet in 6 games. We outscore them with fun attacking football but those goals will dry up eventually. W

All in all 6 games 6 wins 26 goals scored 6 conceded and the best attacking football in the country since he joined. Ill take it. Next week is a BIG test for our title aspiration especially with a Benfica vs Braga game on Saturday.

SportingCP96

Supports
Surprised Sporting are as high as 2nd and having better season than Benfica.

Thought with all the turmoil pre season and losing key players for a pittance they'd be down in 5th or 6th. Credit to Bas Dost for staying as he's one who did have legitimate reasons to be first to leave.
I am as surprised as you are considering we had a tough run of fixtures to start the season that included Benfica and Braga away as well as having Peseiro as our coach. Luckily we stayed with the pack and our new coach looks promising. I dont expect us to win anything this year but this I a good way to get used to Marcel Keizer ideas and then he gets to have a proper pre season and get the signings he wants.

As for Bas Dost truly an amazing striker at this rate he MIGHT surpass Jardel as the best striker we ever had ( just needs to score more in the bigger games. He has more goals then games in the league for Sporting and has something like 83 goals in 102 games truly ridiculous.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Today was beautiful, not because of the great football in the second half but because of the attitude of the players, first time in a long time that it feels like they actually cared and it was great to see the crowd reacting to it. Ref helped us out but we deserved those 3 points.

Keizer has been a breath of fresh air, 25 goals in 6 games. With Peseiro we scored 28 goals in 17 games. That should give some United fans here a bit of hope :lol:

We'll now probably lose in Guimarães next week, that's usually how it goes. Can't let the joy and hope start building up too much.

SportingCP96

Supports
Sporting, Benfica, Braga, and Porto all won at the weekend and this title race is looking very very promising,

League Table:
1.Porto 33pts
2. Sporting 31pts
3.Braga 30pts
4.Benfica 29pts

Porto won 1-2 away at Santa Clara and Benfica won 0-1 away against Maritimo meanwhile Braga had a resounding 4-0 win. Sporting won tonight 5-2 after trailing 0-2 vs Nacional, Bas Dost( 2 goals ), Bruno Fernandes( 2 goals), and Jeremy Mathieu( 1 goal) all scored for Sporting. Bruno Fernandes when in form is probably tied with Jonas as the best player in the league he is simply fantastic he can shoot, fantastic pass, can score free kicks, and most importantly is a leader fantastic #10. Bas Dost is Bas Dost an amazing goal scorer.

SportingCP96

Supports
Today was beautiful, not because of the great football in the second half but because of the attitude of the players, first time in a long time that it feels like they actually cared and it was great to see the crowd reacting to it. Ref helped us out but we deserved those 3 points.

Keizer has been a breath of fresh air, 25 goals in 6 games. With Peseiro we scored 28 goals in 17 games. That should give some United fans here a bit of hope :lol:

We'll now probably lose in Guimarães next week, that's usually how it goes. Can't let the joy and hope start building up too much.
If we have a first half against VSC like we did today we will lose. Luis Castro is a great coach and they are a good team and have the 4th best fan base in the company arguably better than one of the big 3 :).

BUT if we win next week...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nothing personal against any of the big 3 and their fans but would love Braga to win it.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Wtf? I saw 1-2 and now I check it and you won 5-2? Great stuff if true must have been quite the spectacle.

SportingCP96

Supports
Nothing personal against any of the big 3 and their fans but would love Braga to win it.
Cant stand their fans but I do think they will end up winning it sooner or later and truth be told none of the big 3 are that goof this year and with Braga only having to focus on domestic competitions that could be a difference maker. Granted next week away to Benfica we will see what they are made of. So far they beat Sporting 1-0 and lost 1-0 away to Porto with a 90t minute goal and with Braga having the bulk of the chances. They also went away to Guimaraese which is not easy. They look good this year for sure.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
As for Keizer where do I begin...
Our defensive organization is shit, it can't be all explained by lack of individual quality because the last 2 games for the League were against Aves and Nacional, 2 teams who are battling to survive.

Next week in Guimarães against a Luis Castro team if we play anything like this at halftime we are already defeated. We still need a better GK then Renan or Salin imo on January.

The rest he has to play youngsters and at the end of the season we shall see. No more Bruno Césars or Jeffersons ffs.

SportingCP96

Supports
Our defensive organization is shit, it can't be all explained by lack of individual quality because the last 2 games for the League were against Aves and Nacional, 2 teams who are battling to survive.

Next week in Guimarães against a Luis Castro team if we play anything like this at halftime we are already defeated. We still need a better GK then Renan or Salin imo on January.

The rest he has to play youngsters and at the end of the season we shall see. No more Bruno Césars or Jeffersons ffs.
I agree 100% but the dutch are not known for their defense.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Jesus I know it was a cup game, but crazy game between Porto and Moreirense, 4:3. Sérgio needs to rotate more, if they keep going like this when they arrive on February against Roma they will have some players injured, they don't have a lot of options to replace.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Alright this is getting a bit ridiculous now :lol:

30 goals in 7 matches. We concede in every game too but I couldn't care less.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Guimarães will be the Mother of All Battles!!!

SportingCP96

Supports

We look fantastic and it’s a joy to watch us play. Every box is checking right as of now ....except one. That defense is scaring me and it’s beying brushed aside because of the goals we score but sooner or later we will have to show our grit in defense. I just hope he realizes that too. He said a quote a while back saying he prefers to win 3-2 then win 1-0 but I personally prefer the other way at times. Attack wins games defense wins championships that’s just fact.

Nonetheless I am ecstatic:drool:

SportingCP96

Supports
Guimarães will be the Mother of All Battles!!!
In my opinion if we beat Guimarães away and beat porto at home we are officially contenders. It’s going to be a really tuff game on Sunday that is one of the hardest places to play in Portugal their fans make it a great atmosphere.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Benfica are smoking nicely today.

Looking forward to watching Guimaraes-Sporting clube later. Didn't Reading want the Guimaraes manager

SportingCP96

Supports
As predicted Sporting getting outplayed.
Every year same thing. It was impossible not to fall for the hype surrounding Keizer But as I mentioned before there was one very worrying sign and its that we can not defend at all.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
4:37 minutes to make a VAR decision, 6 subs and Vitoria wasting time the whole half... at the end we get 4 minutes of added time.

No wonder we’re the league with the least amount of actual football played in the whole of Europe.

Vitória are a good team and this is their cup final so not a surprising result, the fact they had more fans at the stadium than for the Braga games and had fireworks at the end of it says it all really.

SportingCP96

Supports
4:37 minutes to make a VAR decision, 6 subs and Vitoria wasting time the whole half... at the end we get 4 minutes of added time.

No wonder we’re the league with the least amount of actual football played in the whole of Europe.

Vitória are a good team and this is their cup final so not a surprising result, the fact they had more fans at the stadium than for the Braga games and had fireworks at the end of it says it all really.
They beat Porto Away they beat us they tied Braga and they lost 3-2 away to Benfica in a game they should have tied. There a good team there coach is fantastic there fans are fantastic and the stadium was rocking. We had 4 key absences but even that is not an excuse we did not make 1 clear chance all game and were outplayed. As per usual we are out the title race by Christmas Benfica miraculous league comeback is in full motion and we will battle out third place as usual and then have the summer and first 2 months of next season to get excited with it "being our year" only to get to Christmas by December. I am off the internet for tonight Christmas very much ruined.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
They beat Porto Away they beat us they tied Braga and they lost 3-2 away to Benfica in a game they should have tied. There a good team there coach is fantastic there fans are fantastic and the stadium was rocking. We had 4 key absences but even that is not an excuse we did not make 1 clear chance all game and were outplayed. As per usual we are out the title race by Christmas Benfica miraculous league comeback is in full motion and we will battle out third place as usual and then have the summer and first 2 months of next season to get excited with it "being our year" only to get to Christmas by December. I am off the internet for tonight Christmas very much ruined.
No doubt we lost to a very good team and it was probably deserved too but these games are infuriating.

Mathieu was beyond terrible, this team needs the injured players to come back and a truly great centreback in the summer (and goalkeeper), we're going in the right direction for the first time in a long time.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Next game against Belenenses is a must win. Think we will face that arrogant bastard Abel on the SF of the League Cup. Hate the guy and Salvador.