Portuguese Football 2018/19

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
We’re crap and Peseiro pisses me off. 2 defensive midfielders and Acuña as winger vs Setúbal at home...

6 points from 6 and I’m already convinced we have no chance.
I am on the same boat man I think next week Is where it all begins to go downhill. Misic and Petrovic are absolute trash like they are below league 1 level players and Battaglia is so average it hurts ESPECIALLY for the money he gets. I think we have the best center backs in the league but our right and left back and goalkeepers are also weak.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
He’s decent. We have plenty of bigger problems
I've only seen him once or twice, so maybe I'm just clouded.

What are your realistic expectations? Top 3?

SportingCP96

Supports

I know you did not ask me but 3rd or 4th is the best we can hope for this season. I am a bit of a pessimist so I think Braga will nick us for 3rd.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Yes, anything below third would be a disaster and we’re simply not as good as Porto or Benfica.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I am on the same boat man I think next week Is where it all begins to go downhill. Misic and Petrovic are absolute trash like they are below league 1 level players and Battaglia is so average it hurts ESPECIALLY for the money he gets. I think we have the best center backs in the league but our right and left back and goalkeepers are also weak.
We have a huge disparity in quality in our starters. Half the team is great and would start for both Porto and Benfica and the other half are terrible and wouldn’t even make their bench.

SportingCP96

Supports
We have a huge disparity in quality in our starters. Half the team is great and would start for both Porto and Benfica and the other half are terrible and wouldn’t even make their bench.
we need signings for the midfield it is our weakest in years. Im hoping Miguel Luis gets a chance with the first team.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Fantastic game by Belenenses... unfair win for Porto due to a questionable last minute penalty. Painful

SportingCP96

Supports
Porto win 2-3 (barely) meanwhile Braga let a 3 goal lead go and tie 3-3!

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This year's league is going to be long, but I think Benfica made the better transfer activity, reinforncing key positions. Too bad Ebuehi got a serious injury, because he was showing to be a potential youngster, but Corchia will do.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Fantastic game by Belenenses... unfair win for Porto due to a questionable last minute penalty. Painful
Silas a good coach and a true leader, when he was here at Piedade he was always talking to the youngsters, giving advice and always very hard-working. I predict a good career for him.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
About Freire, I never watched one of his teams but people I know who follow the CNS say he did a great job at Mafra.
Yes I heard the same about Mafra, meanwhile they won again this weekend vs Braga B. Hopefully we can see him next season with Estoril in Primeira Liga if they are promoted.

Now I have to say I finished watching now the entire match between Vitória and Feirense and I have to say even knowing Luis Castro teams normally start slowly like Chaves last season, he better start getting results after they probably lose next weekend vs Porto.

Simply said, they lost all their 3 competetive matches, and 2 of them were vs Tondela and Feirense. Honestly they can't even say they were unlucky today, and for all the hype before the season started they are far away from reaching the same standard as Braga.

About Sporting I will not say much, this season I will not follow much, I have been laughing a lot when I check Peseiro lineups, like a midfield duo of Battaglia and Petrovic or Batta + Misic. :lol:

One day if I have time I will say why it is one the biggest myths in Portugal that his work on 2005 was great. It wasn't, and I can say that because at the time I followed all our matches at Alvalade.

Regarding the rest, the only thing I can say after watching this game, its entirely rational that Rio Ave and Braga were already knocked out, even if Abel massively fecked up against Zorya.

I wouldn't even be surprised if it wasn't for the situation on Ukraine, without Dnipro and Metalist, we would already be behind them on UEFA rankings. As I am not going to be surprised if in 3 years Belgium will be ahead of us.

Forget about catching Russia, at this stage the Russian League is better than ours. There are so many wrong things on our development model that I would spend the entire night here.

Unfortunately I can't post here with the same frequency as in the past so I only come here to the Portuguese thread to show a sign of life. :D

Last edited:

SportingCP96

Supports
Shocking start of the season for Vitoria 3 competitive games and 3 losses and soon to be 4 after they lose to Porto. Quite shocking considering the quality that seems to be in the squad. I Dont understand how they never took the leap like Braga did. VSC have by far the 4th best fans in the league after the big 3. There fans are fantastic much better then Braga whose fans are so dull. Beautiful stadium and great fans and history is a great foundation but they always seem to struggle.

SportingCP96

Supports
Silas a good coach and a true leader, when he was here at Piedade he was always talking to the youngsters, giving advice and always very hard-working. I predict a good career for him.
I agree very very talented coach. Dont be surprised if he ens up at Sporting after Peseiro gets sacked. I heard he was a Sporting fan but I could be wrong.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I agree very very talented coach. Dont be surprised if he ens up at Sporting after Peseiro gets sacked. I heard he was a Sporting fan but I could be wrong.
I would like to see that, I would even want Sporting to do well if it happened :)

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Shocking start of the season for Vitoria 3 competitive games and 3 losses and soon to be 4 after they lose to Porto. Quite shocking considering the quality that seems to be in the squad. I Dont understand how they never took the leap like Braga did. VSC have by far the 4th best fans in the league after the big 3. There fans are fantastic much better then Braga whose fans are so dull. Beautiful stadium and great fans and history is a great foundation but they always seem to struggle.
Unlike Guimarães president tried to show, the problem was not Pedro Martins.

And for this season they lost their two main players: Raphinha and Hurtado. You just don't loose your best players and recover instantly.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I like how Belenenses plays. It shows you don't need to park the bus to get points.

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
Its disheartening watching Sporting play this season.

I cant understand Peseiro, the lack of speed/pace with a front of Dost/Nani and Acuna is just pathetic.
And adding Misic/Petrovic + Batta on the midfield is just pure snoosefest without any creativity.

Our game plan is pretty much hoping Bruno Fernandes, or even Nani carry us...

Lets see how long it takes for Acuna to move to DE. And 1 or 2 of Raphinha/Matheus/Jovane get on as starters...

PS: Saudações Leoninas! :)

SportingCP96

Supports
Its disheartening watching Sporting play this season.

I cant understand Peseiro, the lack of speed/pace with a front of Dost/Nani and Acuna is just pathetic.
And adding Misic/Petrovic + Batta on the midfield is just pure snoosefest without any creativity.

Our game plan is pretty much hoping Bruno Fernandes, or even Nani carry us...

Lets see how long it takes for Acuna to move to DE. And 1 or 2 of Raphinha/Matheus/Jovane get on as starters...

PS: Saudações Leoninas! :)
Acuna is a waist on the wing. I think he can MAYBE become good at left back or even as a number 8 role similar to what happened to Enzo Perez. Raphinha or Matheus need to be starters alongside Nani.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Acuna is a waist on the wing. I think he can MAYBE become good at left back or even as a number 8 role similar to what happened to Enzo Perez. Raphinha or Matheus need to be starters alongside Nani.
I think he'd made a good 8. Raphinha definitely needs to start, the lack of speed up front is brutal.

SportingCP96

Supports
I think he'd made a good 8. Raphinha definitely needs to start, the lack of speed up front is brutal.
I Agree he has the qualities to thrive as a number 8. We also just made 2 useless signings in Njie and Diaby. We have 4 wingers already so Njie is pointless unless he was bought to be a striker and that would make him even more pointless because of his small frame along with his lack if quality. As for Diaby I never have seen him play but he has flop written all over him.

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
Well i would rather see Wendell play than Acuna as an 8.

I guess considering our options, Jefferson ( ... ) and Acuna's price we gotta play him somehow, so left back it is. However he is kinda short and slow...

I agree Raphinha needs to play. We need the pace and players that arent scared to shoot and take chances to score.

SportingCP96

Supports

I guess considering our options, Jefferson ( ... ) and Acuna's price we gotta play him somehow, so left back it is. However he is kinda short and slow...

I agree Raphinha needs to play. We need the pace and players that arent scared to shoot and take chances to score.
Against Benfica Raphinha has to start because we will be playing on the counter and that is where he excels the most. As for games against teams who park the bus Nani and Matheus should start because Matheus has the ability to provide a moment of magic ( his temperament is questionable tho) but we have some good wingers in our ranks this season. As for Wendell I agree he is better then what he have currently but I still don’t have a final opinion on him. He seems good on the ball but poor in a tactical sense.

SportingCP96

Supports
I am usually very skeptical about Benfica youth products because more often then not they are MASSIVELY overhyped by Portuguese media and by lots of delusional Benfica fans ( especially since they recently revamped their academy and tried to focus more on homegrown) but I have to admit that I see a lot of raw talent in Joao Felix looks to be a promising Portuguese player.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I am usually very skeptical about Benfica youth products because more often then not they are MASSIVELY overhyped by Portuguese media and by lots of delusional Benfica fans ( especially since they recently revamped their academy and tried to focus more on homegrown) but I have to admit that I see a lot of raw talent in Joao Felix looks to be a promising Portuguese player.
It's a phase. Same happened to every youngster coming from Sporting Academy a few years ago. And before that it was Porto's Academy who was forming world class talents.

It's all a mather of momentum.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This season the expectations were so low that nobody would be against playing with players like Matheus, Raphinha or Wendell. Instead we have Acuñas, Petrovics or Misics. Oh and Peseiro, reason why I am on strike this season, I will try to resist watching any game untill we have a decent new elected President, and hopefully at the end of the season we hire someone who actually is a normal head coach and knows how to improve players instead being worried after a match with the Coruche Parties. :lol:
Against Benfica Raphinha has to start because we will be playing on the counter and that is where he excels the most.
He is going to play with the same crap 11 from last week, only difference will be Montero instead Dost. If we lose 1 or 2:0 he will say we have a crap team and we had no pre season and the very serious media will say he is a great coach and it was BDC fault. Its already in the script, mark my words. :keano:

SportingCP96

Supports
Lisbon Derby today as Benfica take on Sporting. Should be a good game I expect for Benfica to dominate most of thee game. Sporting must take the chances they get as minimal as they may be. I am not feeling confident for this game but there are 90 minutes to play and in this sport anything can happen.

SportingCP96

Supports
Benfica 1-1 Sporting

Hard fought game with Sporting taking the lead in the 65th minute thanks to a penalty scored by Nani. Benfica equalized (deservedly) on the 86th minute thru there golden boy Joao Felix. Benfica had the better of the chances with you the Sporting keeper having the game of his life.

I feel Sporting could have won had they kept playing how they were up until the goal that gave them the lead. They choked and fell back to attempt to hold on the lead which invited pressure which led to the goal.

At the start of the season I would have taken 7 points from the opening 3 games and a tie at the Luz but the winning mentality in me is upset we couldn’t see out the game against a Benfica who was their for the taking.

With that being said 1-1 in our biggest rivals backyard after a turbulent summer with a sub par coach is a result I will take.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
When was the last time one of the big three lost at home to one of the "others" from two goals up?
I think we did against Braga a couple of years ago.

That was an hilarious match today, Porto 2-0 up with the second goal being offside but not ruled out because VAR had a malfunction :lol:

Then the second half happens and Douglas turns into God almighty in stoppage time. No idea how Porto managed to not score a third at the end. They aren’t looking great at all, last week Belenenses should have gotten a point off them.

As for the Lisbon derby, good performance from us until we scored. Then Peseiro forgot he could make substitutions... and by the time he remembered he made the wrong ones. I’ve been asking for Acuña in midfield for ages and I’m happy it’s finally happened, hopefully that’s permanent.

We aren’t good, the squad and management has clear flaws but Porto and Benfica are also poor, same as last year. It will probably all come down to a few lucky moments in the decisive games. I’m happy that it seems like it won’t be as bad as I was expecting and we won’t be fighting with Braga for third place.

SportingCP96

Supports
I think we did against Braga a couple of years ago.

That was an hilarious match today, Porto 2-0 up with the second goal being offside but not ruled out because VAR had a malfunction :lol:

Then the second half happens and Douglas turns into God almighty in stoppage time. No idea how Porto managed to not score a third at the end. They aren’t looking great at all, last week Belenenses should have gotten a point off them.

As for the Lisbon derby, good performance from us until we scored. Then Peseiro forgot he could make substitutions... and by the time he remembered he made the wrong ones. I’ve been asking for Acuña in midfield for ages and I’m happy it’s finally happened, hopefully that’s permanent.

We aren’t good, the squad and management has clear flaws but Porto and Benfica are also poor, same as last year. It will probably all come down to a few lucky moments in the decisive games. I’m happy that it seems like it won’t be as bad as I was expecting and we won’t be fighting with Braga for third place.
Still too early to tell don’t get too excited yet. After the braga game we have an “easier” run of fixtures so if we can nick a win in braga then after a few of the “easier” games we will see what we are all about.

As for Vitoria historical result 3-2 win away from home to Porto with an offside goal too boot. This win can be the “click” which kickstart there season. They were unlucky to face both Benfica and Porto away within there first 3 games added with a home loss but this win can we the one that really gets them going. For the good of the league I hope so l.

Let’s see what braga is all about tommorow.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They are working and investing well on that area, particularly in the way they make the transition between the under 19's, B team and the new under 23 team, Umaro Embaló is from 2001 and yesterday was playing against us and he looked more matured than Elves Baldé for example who is 2 years older.

And now they have Bruno Lage as their new B team head coach, was Carvalhal assistant at Wednesday and Swansea. For me Dalot if he recovers well and has a manager who is able to develop his potential on the long term and Félix are our 2 top prospects from the 99 generation. None of them were present at the last under 19 Euros we won.

To stop praising them now :lol:, I must say sometimes the media ridiculously over hypes some of their youth products, the last one is trying to convince us that Ruben Dias is worth 40 million Euros when he is 2 years older than De Ligt who is twice the player, to say the least.

That happens not only because they are Benfica and the media wants to sell, but also the Gestifute hype machine is borderline obnoxiously Gobbelsian propagandistic. The last one is Xadas who barely plays and now they want us to believe he was sold to Monaco by 15 million Euromendes currency. :smirk:

One day I want to find the true numbers of the business links between Mendes Gestifute and the Carrousell clubs. But make no mistake Félix is not Renato Sanches, he is a top prospect, I watched 1 game live last season from Benfica under 19's against Sporting on the last stages of the Championship they won, and imo he resembles a mix between João Vieira Pinto and Rui Costa. Now he only needs to be developed by a top manager, which imo Rui Vitória isn't, even if he sometimes here or there has some results.

SportingCP96

Supports
They are working and investing well on that area, particularly in the way they make the transition between the under 19's, B team and the new under 23 team, Umaro Embaló is from 2001 and yesterday was playing against us and he looked more matured than Elves Baldé for example who is 2 years older.

And now they have Bruno Lage as their new B team head coach, was Carvalhal assistant at Wednesday and Swansea. For me Dalot if he recovers well and has a manager who is able to develop his potential on the long term and Félix are our 2 top prospects from the 99 generation. None of them were present at the last under 19 Euros we won.

To stop praising them now :lol:, I must say sometimes the media ridiculously over hypes some of their youth products, the last one is trying to convince us that Ruben Dias is worth 40 million Euros when he is 2 years older than De Ligt who is twice the player, to say the least.

That happens not only because they are Benfica and the media wants to sell, but also the Gestifute hype machine is borderline obnoxiously Gobbelsian propagandistic. The last one is Xadas who barely plays and now they want us to believe he was sold to Monaco by 15 million Euromendes currency. :smirk:

One day I want to find the true numbers of the business links between Mendes Gestifute and the Carrousell clubs. But make no mistake Félix is not Renato Sanches, he is a top prospect, I watched 1 game live last season from Benfica under 19's against Sporting on the last stages of the Championship they won, and imo he resembles a mix between João Vieira Pinto and Rui Costa. Now he only needs to be developed by a top manager, which imo Rui Vitória isn't, even if he sometimes here or there has some results.
I agree 100% I have always said Renato Sanches had and has minimal talent and was very overhyped because of his physical attributes. Ruben Dias is another who just commits many fouls and is no where near 40M as for Felix I have said many times on this forum the kid is the REAL deal. He had so much raw talent and he has that magic about him when ever he gets on the ball.

Like I said the MEDIA massively overhypes there prospects because Sporting as well having one of the top academies in the world and fostering 2 of the top 3 greatest Portuguese to ever play the game and 2 balon d or from our academy they have always wanted to mimic that. So any prospect was shoved down our throats until we believed the hype. Lastly Xadas once again I agree with you ( this is rare with us:lol:) we are talking about a kid who cant even start for Braga and you want me to believe that he is worth 15M ? there is not one player in Braga who is even close to that number. Mendes is a cancer.

SLBenfica1904

Supports
SLBenfica

I agree with the hype stuff, although it has more to do with being a Mendes player than be a Benfica player. At the moment Benfica is the most useful club in Portugal for Gestifute. Xadas showed great potential in the youth ranks, but the player he is today obviously doesn't value 15M euros, as Ivan Cavaleiro(very overhyped back then in the portuguese media) didn't value. Felix is clearly gifted to be a top player, but let's see how he will evolve. Ruben, altough being the best CB of the new generation is overhyped and clearly not ready for top flights, the NT must find more solutions for Euros2020.
Gedson reminds me a lot of Renato Sanches in the pleasure he seems to bring, the energy, the effort he puts on the game that the older players don't. Renato, altough he was overhyped, in my opinion was a player with good attributes, i'm sad that he is finding it hard to recover himself psychologically.