Possible Interim Managers - If LVG is sacked mid season

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
di Matteo?
Stands for one of the ugliest uninspired football I've seen in my lifetime. Someone with a bit more attacking spirit might be more suitable?

Danillaco

Sampaoli is out of job

Not a reallistic option, but damm his teams play good football.
This would be very, very good. Great manager and his work with Chile was amazing, even won the Copa America. Under the radar signing, and would rather risk him than having Van Gaal for the rest of the season.

Crossie

Supports
Lothar Matthäus anyone? :devil:

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I like this thread. It basically renders the anti-LVG and anti-Woodward threads redundant. The cyclical arguments that have been going on in those threads for months, ultimately come back to this underlying point. There's no fecking point sacking him when all these replacements are dog shit.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Is Heynckes still retired? Get him or SAF out of their comfort zone for 3-4 months :drool:
Would love someone like Heynckes, but no one like that available:(
On the other hand, can see why the club would be hesitant to rush into making another appointment without proper consideration (however short term their stint would be) - the last two appointments being such disappointments.

For what it's worth on who's available - I know it's not a popular choice, but I'd take Benitez:nervous:
I quite liked how he had Chelsea playing during his interim stint with them - I thought he had good chemistry with that team and got it spot on in terms of making the personnel there work. Plus we've got loads of Spaniards at the club so he'd be right at home:D

Jazz

I like this thread. It basically renders the anti-LVG and anti-Woodward threads redundant. The cyclical arguments that have been going on in those threads for months, ultimately come back to this underlying point. There's no fecking point sacking him when all these replacements are dog shit.
:D

MoskvaRed

Ah come on ffs! You are seriously saying you'd have Rafa (to see if we can get top 4), over SAF (even though he'd have us on a title charge)?
We have to cut the apron strings at some point, I'm afraid, unless we are actually trying to recreate post-68. And Fergie himself deserves his retirement to spend with his family. I'm not the founder and sole member of the Red Cafe Rafa fan club by the way. Just struggling to pull remotely plausible names out of a hat.

Crossie

Supports
We cant afford to be out of the UCL. We are so low in terms of Uefa coefficient as it is.
If your only concern is the coefficient: You can pick up almost as many points in the Europa League as in the CL. With deep runs just a difference of 3 points.
That's the major reason why the English country assoication factor is so low: EPL clubs saw it as useless interference with the EPL and threw it away (bar Chelsea). Italian and Spanish clubs picked up an abundance of points via Europa League.

Dong Fangzhuo

Can't really think of any realistic options for an interim manager besides promoting from within with Joyce or Giggs. I wish we'd move away from this idea that the only options for our next permanent manager are Mourinho and Giggs though. The powers that be should get working on doing some homework and look at what else is out there. Sampaoli, Rudi Garcia, Lucien Favre are all free and were all very highly rated at some point in recent history. And we're still a massive club so basically any manager outside of the PL top 4 and Europe's top 5-6 should be considered "available" to us.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Would love someone like Heynckes, but no one like that available:(
On the other hand, can see why the club would be hesitant to rush into making another appointment without proper consideration (however short term their stint would be) - the last two appointments being such disappointments.

For what it's worth on who's available - I know it's not a popular choice, but I'd take Benitez:nervous:
I quite liked how he had Chelsea playing during his interim stint with them - I thought he had good chemistry with that team and got it spot on in terms of making the personnel there work. Plus we've got loads of Spaniards at the club so he'd be right at home:D
I'd second that, if only for the mass suicide over at RAWK :lol:

edit: come to think of it, there might be a mass suicide on the Caf as well! :lol:

Jazz

I'd second that, if only for the mass suicide over at RAWK :lol:

edit: come to think of it, there might be a mass suicide on the Caf as well! :lol:
Would be well funny seeing a RAWK/CAF double meltdown:D

RustyS

Some might laugh but Nigel Pearson is not doing anything is he?

Obviously not good enough for the long term but I think he would do well as interim. At the very least he will call one of our big players who goes into hiding in a big game an ostrich.

Leicester played some scintillating stuff toward the end of last season. Has more experience than Giggsy. I don't see why not.

Jazz

Some might laugh but Nigel Pearson is not doing anything is he?

Obviously not good enough for the long term but I think he would do well as interim. At the very least he will call one of our big players who goes into hiding in a big game an ostrich.

Leicester played some scintillating stuff toward the end of last season. Has more experience than Giggsy. I don't see why not.
To be fair, everybody has more experience than Giggsy.

RustyS

To be fair, everybody has more experience than Giggsy.
True. Yet we seem to not be able to think of any interim alternative. A lot of the names in this thread won't come in as interim (Sampaoli), don't have enough experience as first team managers (Joyce, Queiroz..), or obvious unrealistic (FSW, Rodgers..)

It's all a little depressing.

Roboc7

I don't think the club know who to appoint if LVG goes and that is why he is and will continue to be here. They will have exactly the same problem in the summer, they won't get any of their preferred choices and the options may well come down to jose or giggs again anyway.

It's a big mess, only way I see LVG not staying until we are mathematically out of the top four and dumped out of the cups is if the crowd really turn on him and he walks away, and that is probably pretty close to happening already unless there is a sudden and unexpected improvement.

Jazz

True. Yet we seem to not be able to think of any interim alternative. A lot of the names in this thread won't come in as interim (Sampaoli), don't have enough experience as first team managers (Joyce, Queiroz..), or obvious unrealistic (FSW, Rodgers..)

It's all a little depressing.
Sure is.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Doesn't mean he's any good. The difference between him and Queiroz was like night and day. He's not exactly jumped back into top role for a big club since either.
We certainly won more with phelan as assistant than with giggs. He's been around longer than giggs and there was some sort of going up the ranks with phelan which never happened with giggs. Yet the former is derided while the latter is tipped for the top job

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
We have to cut the apron strings at some point, I'm afraid, unless we are actually trying to recreate post-68. And Fergie himself deserves his retirement to spend with his family. I'm not the founder and sole member of the Red Cafe Rafa fan club by the way. Just struggling to pull remotely plausible names out of a hat.
Why is there a need to cut the apron strings? He is an asset in a billion pound business. Personally I think he should be used..if he wants to be. Just short term mind.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Warren Joyce?

In an ideal world, we'd get Mourinho but I can't see that until summer where we have to go for either him, Guardiola or Simeone.

There's a major political battle going on off the pitch. Appointing Giggs/any other legend from the Fergie era would create further problems down the line. Warren Joyce (on a caretaker basis) has at least worked in coaching and will know some of the players. Doing it on a "caretaker" basis means if it doesn't work out, we can step up the hunt for a permanent manager and Joyce can go back to his current role.

Cerpin

This would be very, very good. Great manager and his work with Chile was amazing, even won the Copa America. Under the radar signing, and would rather risk him than having Van Gaal for the rest of the season.
Does he speak English?

I do agree that there is a dearth of quality interim managers out there for us. Either we stick with LvG, endure the horrid football for another half season and hope that he gets top 4. Or take anhuge chance in bringing an interim manager such as Giggs, Joyce, Keane (would be fun), Meulensteen, or Queiroz (his football would hardly be more entertaining than LvG) who might bring an initial spark, loosen the reins a bit, but after that wears off who knows how it will go. Big risk.

I feel options like Rafa, Lippi, Bielsa et al. are quite unrealistic.

Cerpin

Maybe Dick Advocaat? He looked a defeated man in Sunderland, but maybe he would better with a stronger group of players.

devilish

We need someone with experience to take control of the team quickly. The most appropriate person would be saf. Other names would be

- Rafa. Hes got experience in both the epl and as an interim manager. His rumoured appointment may even spur saf to reclaim his place which would be a big plus for us

- Lippi. Saf old friend and one of the most experienced managers around. Lippi is very similar to saf in many ways.

- Antonio Conte. There are rumours that he's unhappy with Italy and would consider such prestigious role. However if he does well he might expect to remain here.

- Trapattone. He's enjoying his semi retirement by leading the Vatican team. However his wealth of experience is unmatched. His experience with Ireland should have given him a good idea of how the epl works

- Bielsa. A top manager with great experience.

Cerpin

We need someone with experience to take control of the team quickly. The most appropriate person would be saf. Other names would be

- Rafa. Hes got experience in both the epl and as an interim manager. His rumoured appointment may even spur saf to reclaim his place which would be a big plus for us

- Lippi. Saf old friend and one of the most experienced managers around. Lippi is very similar to saf in many ways.

- Antonio Conte. There are rumours that he's unhappy with Italy and would consider such prestigious role. However if he does well he might expect to remain here.

- Trapattone. He's enjoying his semi retirement by leading the Vatican team. However his wealth of experience is unmatched. His experience with Ireland should have given him a good idea of how the epl works

- Bielsa. A top manager with great experience.
Rafa would be a controversial appointment, given his history with SAF. Also unlikely that he would want to take the job, being a bit of an Anfield-hero and all.

Pretty sure Lippi has said that he would never manage a club again. A national team, maybe, but not a club.

Conte has the Euros coming up -- would be very strange for him to leave the Italy job now for an interim position at United. And as you say, he would most likely want a permanent position.

I suppose he could be a possibility. He's an old fart though, and hasn't really managed for, what, three years?

Has Bielsa ever taken on an interim position? He's very idealistic, and I suspect that he would want time to implement his system. Would be very entertaining though.

devilish

Rafa would be a controversial appointment, given his history with SAF. Also unlikely that he would want to take the job, being a bit of an Anfield-hero and all.

Pretty sure Lippi has said that he would never manage a club again. A national team, maybe, but not a club.

Conte has the Euros coming up -- would be very strange for him to leave the Italy job now for an interim position at United. And as you say, he would most likely want a permanent position.

I suppose he could be a possibility. He's an old fart though, and hasn't really managed for, what, three years?

Has Bielsa ever taken on an interim position? He's very idealistic, and I suspect that he would want time to implement his system. Would be very entertaining though.
Lippi has changed his mind and Conte is desperate to return to club management.

Cerpin

Lippi has changed his mind and Conte is desperate to return to club management.
You have a source for Lippi changing his mind?

And even if Conte is desperate to get back into club management, he's hardly going to abandon ship right before the Euros for a chance of interim position at United.

Jazz

Seriously, all jokes aside, I've said on another thread that I don't think it's so simple getting in an interim manager at this time. When you really think about it, who exactly is competent, but won't mind doing the job for a few months and then fecking off at the end of the season for a new manager? Surely we need someone who can instantly lift the team and have their respect at the same time. Who exactly is going to be able to do this? Hiddink is a good example of someone like that, but I can't honestly think who else is out there.
So all this means probably means the situation is a little more complicated than we would like and is probably partly hampering the board. Dunno.