FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 1:0 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 January 2016

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The most abject, pointless, boring, shite, dour, uninspiring, spineless, blunt, passionless United team I can remember since the 80's. Which given our current budget and wage spend, makes this the worst iteration of a United team in living memory. Please just leave Van Gaal.

newgiz

Absolutely dreadful.When LvG gets the sack he absolutely deserves it.

togg

I don't think any of the fans drifting away from the stadium will feel elated or happy at all, and that says it all. We were shite and Sheffield United is in League One for goodness sake.

Zoo

The performance was unacceptable and disgraceful. You feel sorry for the fans who paid and came out in that weather to watch this dross.

Moonred

Glad we won. That's all though, our players and manager should be better at putting out a team like Sheffield who were on the backfoot throughout the match comfortably. Sometimes matches like these are fine but not everytime. We do need some players with pace and trickery. Even an out of form Memphis and on many occasions Young seem to run at defenders and try to create something which helps. Unlike Mata and Fellaini who are slow and tedious that just adds on to the frustration.

Ryan7

Terrible really. Memphis at least tried to shoot and did really well to win the penalty.

Esquire

Exactly. You can criticise how little threat we looked, and weren't very fluid to say the least.

But only one team even pretended to want to make an attempt to win.
Shef Utd played two strikers, tried to press the first half, played great defence. Obviously wanted to take a replay back to their own ground. That's not bad strategy since they are in League One for heaven's sake.

We sucked and honestly didn't deserve the win.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It's genuinely got to the point where a late win leaves me feeling worse than a 0-0 after an abysmal performance. Before that penalty went in, I had a bit of hope that things might change next week...

LLMU

Totally control the game without any plan to win it. We don't deserve the win. Too many sideway passes and not enterprising in the final third.

Drifter

American
A win is a win .Through to the next round ,no need for a replay. Delighted.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Something happened today with a bunch of people and a spherical object. Something about passing and running. I don't know, I kind of zoned out for quite a while.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It has got to be mostly psychological because Depay showed much more willingness than most players present out there. It's embarrassing having to resort to a pen in injury time in order to beat Sheffield at home.

Cina

Louis van Gaal - the master of doing just about enough to keep his job.

gerrydaly

Praying to have a guy on top of him
Reminded me of when we were losing to Fourth Division Stockport in the League Cup in '78. We scored two goals in the last minute to win 3-2. Too embarrassing to celebrate. We lost ion the next round to Third Division Watford at home.

Dave Sexton was manager.

We did reach the FA Cup final though. Lost.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Shef Utd played two strikers, tried to press the first half, played great defence. Obviously wanted to take a replay back to their own ground. That's not bad strategy since they are in League One for heaven's sake.

We sucked and honestly didn't deserve the win.
It was hardly two strikers really though was it, they were never anywhere near our half!
They soaked it up, chanced their arm, and sat back.

Ultimately a bit unlucky, but against a proper United team they'd have got smashed

Sb_16

The board would have been excited with the reply. Missed opportunity to earn more matchday money. I even had thought of a chant. Something like
We'll go to every ground
We'll go to every ground
Though its a home cup fixture
We want to play at your ground

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Totally control the game without any plan to win it. We don't deserve the win. Too many sideway passes and not enterprising in the final third.
Have most of the ball, and see if anything opens up at any stage. If it doesn't just keep it.

sugar_kane

Keep Roon and vGaal at United-army? What's your team?
Sorry I have no idea what this means.

However if you're implying I'm a Rooney lover you're wrong, good penalty aside he was an embarrassment today, yet again.

The rest of our play was largely better than what we saw in December (I realise that isn't saying much) against a team whose entire game plan was get a draw at all costs.

People get hysterical and scream "it's a league one team at home" but it's the FA cup for fecks sake. It's what happens and that's why it's so beloved as a competition.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Louis van Gaal - the master of doing just about enough to keep his job.
Both him and Rooney. Serve up rubbish consistently and then have lame moments of brief success that paper over cracks to maintain their reputation.

stu_1992

Not even worth celebrating, just papers over the cracks once again.
Yup, this sums up how I feel. Yeah we won, but just because of a penalty after a stupid mistake by their player. We didn't do much to deserve a win, definitely created nothing. Van Gaal will absolve himself of blame now that we won. Not at all satisfying.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
LVG has to start playing Periera in that cm role. He is the only cm in the squad capable of travelling with the ball and for this possession thing to work you can't have everyone passing.
Fellaini and Mata played. Herrera has a problem with consistency.

Ixion

People get hysterical and scream "it's a league one team at home" but it's the FA cup for fecks sake. It's what happens and that's why it's so beloved as a competition.
You might have a point if it were a one off performance but it's every game now, it's nothing to do with it being a league one side or the FA Cup.

Esquire

It was hardly two strikers really though was it, they were never anywhere near our half!
They soaked it up, chanced their arm, and sat back.

Ultimately a bit unlucky, but against a proper United team they'd have got smashed
I don't debate that with you mate, but we are FAR from proper these days.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
2 wins in a row and no defeats in 3. It's a process baby.
We got away with it against a League 1 side, in the 94th minute.
We play Newcastle next, so they should provide a more stern test.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 407 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 2:0 Sheffield Utd
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Sheffield Utd