FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 1:0 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 January 2016

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Agree re Wig and Mata. I'm a big Herrera fan but he has been disappointing lately.
I tend to think it's down to a lack fitness all through the squad. Notice with all the possession they are always gassed out and he is an all action type, so to maintain that he'd have to be very fit.

Devil81

The body language of some of the players is unbelievable, I really can't believe any of them are happy playing this style of football.

The result changes nothing for me, Van Gaal has to go, we'd be better going with Giggs till the end of the season.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
2 proper full backs, which has been a bit of a novelty, and 2 big immobile holding mids!

You could get away with 2 wingers at full back, only 1 centre mid, and bring Memphis in, and push Martial back to the position he was ripping It up.

It's so uninspired

I'm fairly certain most people don't give a sh!T bout possession, only attacking, style, and results.
Just pulled it in here :)

It's just painful. So reserved and safe. We have 4 attackers against 7 or 8 opposing players in almost every game. As you say no real constant fullback support, we are not drilled to offer it constantly like we used get from Evra/Neville/Irwin etc. Central midfield just seems all over the place as well.

We don't attack and we can't counter quick in this set up.

And the forwards are not in their natural positions. The players we have available, we'd play better in old school 4-4-2!!

It's just diabolical at this stage. No improvements, no tempo, no attempt to change what is obviously an issue. Louis is a stubborn old git that prefers to read off possession stats than actually take in what he sees with his eyes. He is battering any bit of footballing prowess out of the club.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I didn't watch the match, but I take it they were shit?
Yes. They were exactly what you'd expect of a League 1 side.
But were only slightly better - saved by a late penalty in the 93rd minute.

Manny

Grammar Police
We have attackers with too many holes in there game (Mata, Rooney, Memphis, Fellaini)

and too many players without that winning mentality (Fellaini, Darmian, CBJ, Schneiderlin)

Hed Zitin

One of the most embarrassing wins I've ever seen. They did nothing to attack us, but we did the bare minimum to their keeper. Side ways and back, slow pass after pass. Screw possession. Calling this football crap is an insult to crap.

I should be happy and I am about a win, but it's tainted by the fact it keeps this ass hat manager in a job.

We don't get some pace and goals in we are no where near playing CL football next season.

NC11

"If i was in the dressing room right now, I'd be sitting there with my head in my hands. I'd be depressed".

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
2 kids we just signed in the summer are our most dangerous players. It wasn't just the midfield that needed a complete rebuild...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The team(attackers) aren't brood enough. We don't play fantastic football but we got into so pome good positions but the play just fizzled out because they were shit.

SalfordRed1960

We had one tame attempt on goal the whole match before that penalty. How was it deserved?
Did the blades try and win, there was only one team trying to win. The fact they defended well and we were a bit poor in our final delivery does not take away that they did not deserve a replay.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
2 kids we just signed in the summer are our most dangerous players. It wasn't just the midfield that needed a complete rebuild...
One did cost a rumoured £50m with add ons though!

He's not really just some kid!

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
We need something extra upfront right now as Rooney is past it. He can take a peno sure, but his speed of thought and reaction time are nowhere near what they were at his peak. He is finished as a top class striker. No need to look too far, he has shown that he has lost it in many games this season. When speed of thought is needed Rooney is too slow.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I tend to think it's down to a lack fitness all through the squad. Notice with all the possession they are always gassed out and he is an all action type, so to maintain that he'd have to be very fit.
I used to think they were overtrained, but actually I am not sure the training is enough at the right times. He is always giving them breaks. Let them train each day but not as intesively. He gives them rest after games, which is fine, but I would have thought one day is enough, then he overtrains them just before games, instead of spreading it over the week. I am sure as you said they are gassed on matchday.

Ryan7

Louis: 'I think it's always difficult' when talking about them sitting behind the ball.

'I told the players the only thing that counts is we are in the second round.'

On breaking down teams who sit behind the ball: 'We have to do better.'

marlowe78

I don't think I've ever felt embarrassed to be a supporter of United like I did today. I've been pissed off by performances and the antics of certain people in the club but not thoroughly disgusted like after we won this shitfest. We basically won on a dive and a completely blown decision by the referee. Sheffield United IMO were totally screwed out of at least a replay and we had no business going through to the next round.

I don't want to diminish Memphis's game altogether because he was playing positively after he came on and was giving Sheffield something to think about. Still, he took a blatant dive a la Young and it was the only thing that got in the way of another 0-0 result (aside from maybe Rooney missing the penalty). We give stick to cnut players like Suarez for diving, so I don't see why Memphis should get off so easily.

This was a completely pedestrian game from us after being led (misled) to think that we were going to play with more ambition following Chelsea and Swansea. We pretty much reverted back into our shell and played catch with each other for 70 minutes. In the first half we didn't try a single risky move and looked like we could play for 2 weeks without scoring.

I'm sure Fellaini will get a lot of criticism today - he was not good at all - but what is the purpose of using him as a holder? Against a team like Sheffield you need to play him in front of goal to double with Rooney. Fellaini was out in the middle of nowhere and is simply too slow to be used routinely in the buildup. Martial only popped up at moments, which is shameful considering how much his talent is being wasted.

The only positives I can take from today were, again, our young players. Memphis was a diving, cheating cnut but he did take a few chances and tried to make something happen. While Borthwick-Jackson wasn't tested very much, I thought he did quite well. Lingard clearly gives us more energy than Mata on the right, even if he is still raw.

Our veterans...What can you say, really? Mata is like watching an ant crawl. I knew he would struggle today against bulky second division players. He is clearly not suited for us. I'm glad that Rooney buried the penalty but he could've very easily have come off, was having no impact on the game at all...I thought Herrera was underwhelming, though I don't think he should've been taken off because he kept things circulating and looked somewhat more of a threat than Rooney or Mata did. Schweintseiger and Blind are both intelligent players for this system but they only slow us down further.

How bad did it get for me today? I was actually hoping that Sheffield United would equalize because I thought 1-1 would've been thoroughly deserved. My apologies to their fans for being completely robbed.

Ryan7

Louis moaning about people praising Sheffield United. :lol:

spwd

What a fricking clown, " nobody is talking about how many su chances were created ffs " gtfo now!

Also said they were waving to him so he waved back, he's fecking clueless!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Louis: 'I think it's always difficult' when talking about them sitting behind the ball.
'I told the players the only thing that counts is we are in the second round.'
On breaking down teams who sit behind the ball: 'We have to do better.'
Basically the same matra we hear after every single game we play - we can't break down most teams we play.

ice-bionic red

Absolutely appalling.

Why take our 2 best creative players off in Mata & Herrera... Actually I know why because they aren't playing in their actual feckin positions EVER!! Yet we keep Fellaini on!?!?

I'm not digging out Fellaini for this game. I think he's a very good player but he's not good enough for us and when we keep him on and take better players off so we can just lump the ball up to him then we have a major feckin problem!!

So pissed off even though we won the match.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Scored that goal like we've just returned from hard PL away fixture while we should be blasting these c*nts 3:0 at least.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I used to think they were overtrained, but actually I am not sure the training is enough at the right times. He is always giving them breaks. Let them train each day but not as intesively. He gives them rest after games, which is fine, but I would have thought one day is enough, then he overtrains them just before games, instead of spreading it over the week. I am sure as you said they are gassed on matchday.
United seem to be the only premiership team the manager keeps coming out each week talking about fatigue. I would have been fine if it all started during Christmas but it can be referenced back to September.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
We have attackers with too many holes in there game (Mata, Rooney, Memphis, Fellaini)

and too many players without that winning mentality (Fellaini, Darmian, CBJ, Schneiderlin)
I agree with both of your statements but why the feck single out an 18 year old that has had 2 late game subs and first full game today ? I thought CBJ played well, did what he had to do nothing more than that but what you expect from an 18 year old on the leftback ?

It is players like Schweinsteiger, Rooney, Mata, Herrera, Memphis, Fellaini etc that don't show enough quality and grinta to really create decent chances and score goals. CBJ doesn't deserve any part of the criticisme as far as I'am concerned.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Glad for the win as always but that performance was :rolleyes:
LVG and players need to get with it. Don't understand the lack of urgency. Don't any of them want to perform well and win something? The absolute state of us:(

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We basically won on a dive and a completely blown decision by the referee. Sheffield United IMO were totally screwed out of at least a replay and we had no business going through to the next round.

I don't want to diminish Memphis's game altogether because he was playing positively after he came on and was giving Sheffield something to think about. Still, he took a blatant dive a la Young and it was the only thing that got in the way of another 0-0 result (aside from maybe Rooney missing the penalty). We give stick to cnut players like Suarez for diving, so I don't see why Memphis should get off so easily.
It wasn't a dive. It does look like it from one angle, but on the other it's blatantly obvious the defender came sliding in studs up straight into his shin.

spwd

Danny Higginbottom sounds distraught on talk sport, I know how he feels.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I don't think I've ever felt embarrassed to be a supporter of United like I did today. I've been pissed off by performances and the antics of certain people in the club but not thoroughly disgusted like after we won this shitfest. We basically won on a dive and a completely blown decision by the referee. Sheffield United IMO were totally screwed out of at least a replay and we had no business going through to the next round.

It was a definite penalty, his studs caught Memphis firmly on the shin. The defender and the opposition manager both had no complaints.

SalfordRed1960

This was a completely pedestrian game from us after being led (misled) to think that we were going to play with more ambition following Chelsea and Swansea. We pretty much reverted back into our shell and played catch with each other for 70 minutes. In the first half we didn't try a single risky move and looked like we could play for 2 weeks without scoring.

I'm sure Fellaini will get a lot of criticism today - he was not good at all - but what is the purpose of using him as a holder? Against a team like Sheffield you need to play him in front of goal to double with Rooney. Fellaini was out in the middle of nowhere and is simply too slow to be used routinely in the buildup. Martial only popped up at moments, which is shameful considering how much his talent is being wasted.

The only positives I can take from today were, again, our young players. Memphis was a diving, cheating cnut but he did take a few chances and tried to make something happen. While Borthwick-Jackson wasn't tested very much, I thought he did quite well. Lingard clearly gives us more energy than Mata on the right, even if he is still raw.

Our veterans...What can you say, really? Mata is like watching an ant crawl. I knew he would struggle today against bulky second division players. He is clearly not suited for us. I'm glad that Rooney buried the penalty but he could've very easily have come off, was having no impact on the game at all...I thought Herrera was underwhelming, though I don't think he should've been taken off because he kept things circulating and looked somewhat more of a threat than Rooney or Mata did. Schweintseiger and Blind are both intelligent players for this system but they only slow us down further.

How bad did it get for me today? I was actually hoping that Sheffield United would equalize because I thought 1-1 would've been thoroughly deserved. My apologies to their fans for being completely robbed.
You need to see the tackle leading to the penalty. He clearly catches Depay on the shin. Not saying Depay didn't over react, but a clear penalty, the defender knew as did the commentators. You must be in the minority to think it wasn't a penalty.

ghagua

Forget the 1-0 scoreline, it happens, but that performance was fecking pathetic. It seems to be getting worse and worse. When LvG eventually goes, they are going to need a psychiatrist for this fecking squad, that's how much he has fecked these players.

marlowe78

It wasn't a dive. It does look like it from one angle, but on the other it's blatantly obvious the defender came sliding in studs up straight into his shin.
Mate, I don't want to bang heads with you, but watch the replay. He gets studs on his ankle but could've easily kept going once the defender slides past him. A moment after he feels the contact, he grimaces and tosses himself down. It is a textbook dive. It was very possible that the penalty wouldn't have been called had Memphis just sucked it up and kept going.

I'm not looking to get in an argument with other posters, I'm posting my opinion.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
One did cost a rumoured £50m with add ons though!

He's not really just some kid!
Martial is just a kid, we made him a very expensive kid but that is more down to how terrible our transfer planning is than how amazing Martial is. The kid has done ok so far this season, he shows real talent and he will have a great future but £50m he wasn't and he isn't worth that kind of money. But to be fair none of the players we have bought since 2013 have been worth the money.

Ainu

Forget the 1-0 scoreline, it happens, but that performance was fecking pathetic. It seems to be getting worse and worse. When LvG eventually goes, they are going to need a psychiatrist for this fecking squad, that's how much he has fecked these players.
Exactly what I think, he seems to be ruining them mentally. The longer he stays, the longer it'll take to repair the damage.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 407 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 2:0 Sheffield Utd
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Sheffield Utd