FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 1:0 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 January 2016

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Forget the 1-0 scoreline, it happens, but that performance was fecking pathetic. It seems to be getting worse and worse. When LvG eventually goes, they are going to need a psychiatrist for this fecking squad, that's how much he has fecked these players.
This is actually true.
He has in-grained into their heads that they must keep possession above everything.
Losing and drawing (while getting possession) is better than low possession but a winning score line.
I think our attackers will need at least half a season, to re-learn how to attack with intent and risk.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Absolutely appalling.

Why take our 2 best creative players off in Mata & Herrera... Actually I know why because they aren't playing in their actual feckin positions EVER!! Yet we keep Fellaini on!?!?

I'm not digging out Fellaini for this game. I think he's a very good player but he's not good enough for us and when we keep him on and take better players off so we can just lump the ball up to him then we have a major feckin problem!!

So pissed off even though we won the match.
Terry Gibson was on Talksport the other Saturday and he has watched Herrera a lot in Spain. He said LvG just isn't using him properly. He said he is a smashing player and is being wasted.

marlowe78

You need to see the tackle leading to the penalty. He clearly catches Depay on the shin. Not saying Depay didn't over react, but a clear penalty, the defender knew as did the commentators. You must be in the minority to think it wasn't a penalty.
I don't deny that contact was made, but Memphis completely sold it to the referee. It was cowardly and total nonsense when he actually could've kept the play going after the defender was past him. If he had kept going it's highly possible the penalty would never have happened.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
1 step ahead, 1 step back. We struggle against such a team and don't manage to create dangerous chances. We still can't go on and improve or show some decent form.

KeaneSixteen

"All they can talk about is Manchester United."
No movement up front, so the ball gets played back and sideways again. Same old shite repeated. We're stuck in a cycle where the front players don't move for the ball, 'cause they're not expecting it to arrive and the midfield won't play it forward because the front players aren't moving. Check mate. Also I'd have every player in the squad crossing the ball for hours in training, because our final delivery is fecking appalling.

Norris

One shot on target. A penalty. Just get out of the club.
Two shots on target. Darmian got one too. But yeah, dreadful performance. Were the fans actually booing him at the end of the game ? I couldn't quite make out if they were.

DomesticTadpole

Our attack is so constipated. No movement in the box at all.
He has made the whole team risk averse, scared to make that final pass in case they give it away. These are lot better players than is being shown. He has drummed it into them not to pass unless it is 100% certain. He needs to go to give these players any chance. No matter who he brings in the same will happen. He is the problem.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
No movement up front, so the ball gets played back and sideways again. Same old shite repeated. We're stuck in a cycle where the front players don't move for the ball, 'cause they're not expecting it to arrive and the midfield won't play it forward because the front players aren't moving. Check mate. Also I'd have every player in the squad crossing the ball for hours in training, because our final delivery is fecking appalling.
I'd have a new manager.

DomesticTadpole

Two shots on target. Darmian got one too. But yeah, dreadful performance. Were the fans actually booing him at the end of the game ? I couldn't quite make out if they were.
Yes. Also some were waving and the idiot that he is waved back. I think they were actually waving him goodbye not to him.

ghagua

It was hardly two strikers really though was it, they were never anywhere near our half!
They soaked it up, chanced their arm, and sat back.

Ultimately a bit unlucky, but against a proper United team they'd have got smashed
It's a league 1 team for gods sake. What's a proper United team?

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Yes sorry I forgot about the one down the keepers throat. There were some fans booing at the end and tbh rightly so. They've paid good money for the last 10 home games to be entertained and paid to watch utter shite.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
It has been a problem last season and it has been our biggest problem this season but we are just terrible at attacking football.

-No movement
-No tempo
-No quality in the last pass
-No quality in the shots towards goal
-Nobody can beat a man except Martial on occasion
-And players don't seem to bother if it is 0-0, it is like they don't really want to go on and score goals
-No confidence with any of our attackers

On top of that about every corner and free kick we take is just piss poor quality

It is like the team and the manager only cares about the play in the first 3/4th of the pitch and they don't bother with the play in the last 1/4th of the pitch. But is in that last part of the pitch you can create chances and score goals and it doesn't only win you games and get you points but it is also what the fans need to see to be able to enjoy their team.

This clubs needs to start making changes and they need to do it now. If firing the manager ain't an option than atleast start changing the tactics and do it for more than 1 game and christ almighty start brining out the fecking cheque book and get some quality players in for our attack. Because if we don't do that, half of our fansbase will die of boredom and we definitely will not be getting a top 4 finish.

Ixion

Have to go back to September to our last first half goal at home and even that was a penalty and the one before that was in the 2nd minute of stoppage time at the end of the 45 minutes :lol:

DomesticTadpole

It has been a problem last season and it has been our biggest problem this season but we are just terrible at attacking football.

-No movement
-No tempo
-No quality in the last pass
-No quality in the shots towards goal
-Nobody can beat a man except Martial on occasion
-And players don't seem to bother if it is 0-0, it is like they don't really want to go on and score goals
-No confidence with any of our attackers

On top of that about every corner and free kick we take is just piss poor quality

It is like the team and the manager only cares about the play in the first 3/4th of the pitch and they don't bother with the play in the last 1/4th of the pitch. But is in that last part of the pitch you can create chances and score goals and it doesn't only win you games and get you points but it is also what the fans need to see to be able to enjoy their team.

This clubs needs to start making changes and they need to do it now. If firing the manager ain't an option than atleast start changing the tactics and do it for more than 1 game and christ almighty start brining out the fecking cheque book and get some quality players in for our attack. Because if we don't do that, half of our fansbase will die of boredom and we definitely will not be getting a top 4 finish.
It will be easier to sack the manager. I am that desperate I would even make Giggs the manager. At least we will be entertaining.

Tosicsleftpeg

Awful game and to be honest I think the fact we got that late goal really papers over the cracks as has been suggested by many in here. My one and only positive was the fact that Memphis positively impacted the game which will give him a boost.

We won but i was almost annoyed when we got the penalty as it allows van gaal to hide behind the result. Glad we tree though but really disappointed with everything else.

DomesticTadpole

But also the players inability to play basic football to a decent standard has a lot to do with it.
These players can play. It is all down to him and his sodding philosophy. He will ruin any player he comes into contact with. His methods belong in the past.

Moriarty

Louis: 'I think it's always difficult' when talking about them sitting behind the ball.

'I told the players the only thing that counts is we are in the second round.'

On breaking down teams who sit behind the ball: 'We have to do better.'
Carry on like this and we might be playing in the second round.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I don't deny that contact was made, but Memphis completely sold it to the referee. It was cowardly and total nonsense when he actually could've kept the play going after the defender was past him. If he had kept going it's highly possible the penalty would never have happened.
It is called being smart ?

He felt contact, their was contact, he could go down, he went down, the ref had no choice but the give the penalty, he did, we scored, we won.

That tackle might not have been enough to bring him down but it was enough to slow him down and ruin the chance. He could have kept going and then ref gives advantage but the chance is small he would have scored from that given how many defenders were still around him. If he goes down, he knows he gets a penalty and he knows it is the best chance to get a goal and a win. The defender is just stupid to tackle there, if he just stays with Depay and shields him off, there is no he'll score, probably a corner at best. The stupidity of the defender has caused the penalty not Deapy being a coward. If you don't go down there as an attacker than you are just stupid, not brave but stupid.

PieCrust

Awful and boring. Lucky to get bailed out in the end by a horrible challenge in the box.

Water Melon

It is easier to defend than to attack LvG says. Well, it depends on the intensity of an attack. Mostly, it is much more stressful and difficult to defend than to attack, especially when playing against an opponent which is a couple of leagues above.

Shimo

I hate hope, I absolutely hate it. For some reason I had it coming into this game, that we'd go out there and just try batter them into the ground. Instead, left with that. Can you believe it, that we win a game in injury time and all of us are just bitterly disappointed, upset, angry, depressed - a bloody win at the death and it feels like end of the freaking world, a United win and thinking my god I want to hit someone.

This is the game that disproves the saying "A win is a win" - anytime anyone ever wants to give an example of "when is a win not a win?" - this game will be it.

This is the problem I think that started with Moyes time, players instead of being angry in there, are saying stupid things like "we are improving as a team ..." - enough. It's time to admit they are playing shit and people are doing their jobs and really light some fires.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 407 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 2:0 Sheffield Utd
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Sheffield Utd