g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 1:0 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 January 2016

Norris

Post match interview:

You can sense that he is frustrated too. At what, I don't know. But he was speaking a lot more faster and gesticulating. Normally, the guy thinks before he speaks. He didn't there.

Moriarty

Martial is just a kid, we made him a very expensive kid but that is more down to how terrible our transfer planning is than how amazing Martial is. The kid has done ok so far this season, he shows real talent and he will have a great future but £50m he wasn't and he isn't worth that kind of money. But to be fair none of the players we have bought since 2013 have been worth the money.
Scholes has it right. Is Martial a left winger or a centre forward? What's his best position? The same can be said for others in the team too. We've been saying for ages that Mata is not a winger and Fellaini is not a central midfielder. Young isn't a full back and who knows what is Herrera's best position. Van Gaal just seems to play them anywhere on the off chance it might work. Wait until Januzaj gets back. He'll be tried out as a full back too.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
That's more upbeat than i've seen him for a while.
That last part he said is really depressing.

He doesn't think it is wise to pursue any players in January. If an opportunity pops up and a player becomes available that can be a real contribution they will do it but normally he doesn't, also didn't do it last year. So I think we can forget about any signings the window, especially big signings won't happen.

Feck him thrice that man is a total idiot !

KeaneSixteen

"All they can talk about is Manchester United."
what?? the guy has destroyed the team.
Not destroyed yet. No fan of LVG or his way of playing the game, but unless he's lost the players and they're blatantly trying to get him sacked, then they should be able to cross a football and make some concerted effort to get in good attacking positions to receive it. It's not a complicated game.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That's more upbeat than i've seen him for a while.
Listening to him, he believes the players are not properly implementing the tactics and I agree with him.

More focus should be put on improving our players form and acquiring better ones than focus on replacing a vastly experienced manager.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Post match interview:

Ok, that interview isn't as bad as some are making out. You can see he himself was getting quite exasperated by how we are playing, and particularly at how slowly we are moving the ball around. Of course that is up to him to improve, so if that has consistently remained the biggest problem (which, along with a terrible lack of movement, it has) then he has to take the blame for it. I was starting to think that he couldn't even see what the problems were, but at least this interview shows that he does. I guess he's just doesn't know how to fix them.

Norris

That last part he said is really depressing.

He doesn't think it is wise to pursue any players in January. If an opportunity pops up and a player becomes available that can be a real contribution they will do it but normally he doesn't, also didn't do it last year. So I think we can forget about any signings the window, especially big signings won't happen.

Feck him thrice that man is a total idiot !
But didn't we buy some GK and loaned him back or something ? Him and we loaned Keller (If that was his name!) for U21. So he might just be joking to keep us disappointed before he signs a player from the North division conference as a surprise.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Ok, that interview isn't as bad as some are making out. You can see he himself was getting quite exasperated by how we are playing, and particularly at how slowly we are moving the ball around. Of course that is up to him to improve, so if that has consistently remained the biggest problem (which, along with a terrible lack of movement, it has) then he has to take the blame for it. I was starting to think that he couldn't even see what the problems were, but at least this interview shows that he does. I guess he's just doesn't know how to fix them.
Yeah this is how I saw it as well. Perhaps he needs to do a better job communicating and motivating the players. Clearly some of his methods aren't working with these guys. Dunno if it's their mentality that he can't come to grasp with or what, but it's very important he sorts this out immediately. That's why I wanted Kliuvert in as our ass manager - think he needs someone on that staff that understands his 'philosophy' and is a good communicator. This would have helped some (though not with everything).

KeaneSixteen

"All they can talk about is Manchester United."
These players can play. It is all down to him and his sodding philosophy. He will ruin any player he comes into contact with. His methods belong in the past.
I haven't seen these players as a team under anyone else but van Gaal, so I couldn't say. I think the philosophy is quietly being consigned to the bin. It patently doesn't work here and he hasn't got the players at the moment to make it work. The part about ball retention is a good thing btw, but not when you haven't got anything going on beyond your midfield. Mike Smalling hasn't been ruined, neither has Ashley Young. or Martial etc

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I hate hope, I absolutely hate it. For some reason I had it coming into this game, that we'd go out there and just try batter them into the ground. Instead, left with that. Can you believe it, that we win a game in injury time and all of us are just bitterly disappointed, upset, angry, depressed - a bloody win at the death and it feels like end of the freaking world, a United win and thinking my god I want to hit someone.

This is the game that disproves the saying "A win is a win" - anytime anyone ever wants to give an example of "when is a win not a win?" - this game will be it.

This is the problem I think that started with Moyes time, players instead of being angry in there, are saying stupid things like "we are improving as a team ..." - enough. It's time to admit they are playing shit and people are doing their jobs and really light some fires.
100% this

Rant:
If I would read tommorow morning that the Glazers would just sack everybody at the club that has anything to do with football I'd just be fecking delighted. The manager and the fecking staff including Giggs deserve the sack, the players deserve the sack, the medical team deserve the sack, the scouting department deserve the sack, everyone at the academy deserve the sack. Just sack them all and start all over. I hate what this club has become, I don't enjoy a fecking second watching United games anymore. Don't even care about the bad results but the performances on the pitch, the attitude of the players, it is just unacceptable ! Going out on the market and spending doesn't work because our scouting department are cocks, our medical team seem shit because every season half of the team at some point is injurred for a long while and the players that come out of our academy they are brining nothing to the first team, literally nothing !
/Rant

Stretford End Phil

Never felt this deflated after a win. I want to be as livid as Scholes but having been angry since 2013 I just feel resigned. Bored to tears and £2,500+ lighter in the pocket on STs, never mind travel costs. Clearly, OT board has lost all concept of entertainment and value for money. The fans had already piled out by the penalty, something I used to object to but now I think it's the only way to remove the idiots running the club.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Listening to him, he believes the players are not properly implementing the tactics and I agree with him.

More focus should be put on improving our players form and acquiring better ones than focus on replacing a vastly experienced manager.
Umm, isn't that what he was supposed to have done at the beginning of this season?? A lot of people were raving about van Gaal and Woody when we bought our players this season but now they've been turned to shit!! The guy's already had 18 months??

He has to go!!

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund

If single player underperforms or plays in a certain way, it might be be done to them, but if it happens in such a collective manner, it is down to the manager. Just like the cross festivals under Moyes, this extreme possession obssession without any motivation to create cutting edge comes down to play style. This is not some slump this team needs to overcome, this is the way you are envisioned to play by your manager, just a bit more successful.

You need to start presenting yourselves as top club again and this is not just about the quality of your play, but also the way you set out to play the game. Your biggest concern when you enter a match is simple: "Keep the ball at all costs. Don´t conceed goals, do not lose". This is why United values possession so highly and avoids risks so adamantaly because it means less danger to lose. Creating chances and scoring goals are less important.

This is a viable way to set out a team... if you are a small club trying to get something vs the bigger fishes in the sea, However, if you are suppossed to be on top of the food chain it comes across as needlessly negative and cowardly. If you don´t consider yourselves as top club, then others will sooner or later see it the same way and it will get increasinlgy difficult to get the players who might improve you.

Super Nani

That was painful to watch it really was. Embarrassing display all round and we were very lucky at the end to scrape through. Such a dire performance against opposition we should be spanking.

mattsville

Nothing has changed, if anything it is getting worse, this cnut needs to go and that is that, it is sickening to watch Manchester United at the moment, it has all been said already, the fact it is being tolerated by the powers that be at the club is disturbing, people are tired of it, the stadium was 80% full and it gradually emptied as time went on, that is the best way to protest, feck this shit.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
100% this

Rant:
If I would read tommorow morning that the Glazers would just sack everybody at the club that has anything to do with football I'd just be fecking delighted. The manager and the fecking staff including Giggs deserve the sack, the players deserve the sack, the medical team deserve the sack, the scouting department deserve the sack, everyone at the academy deserve the sack. Just sack them all and start all over. I hate what this club has become, I don't enjoy a fecking second watching United games anymore. Don't even care about the bad results but the performances on the pitch, the attitude of the players, it is just unacceptable ! Going out on the market and spending doesn't work because our scouting department are cocks, our medical team seem shit because every season half of the team at some point is injurred for a long while and the players that come out of our academy they are brining nothing to the first team, literally nothing !
/Rant
Great rant, exactly how I feel.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
It has been a problem last season and it has been our biggest problem this season but we are just terrible at attacking football.

-No movement
-No tempo
-No quality in the last pass
-No quality in the shots towards goal
-Nobody can beat a man except Martial on occasion
-And players don't seem to bother if it is 0-0, it is like they don't really want to go on and score goals
-No confidence with any of our attackers

On top of that about every corner and free kick we take is just piss poor quality

It is like the team and the manager only cares about the play in the first 3/4th of the pitch and they don't bother with the play in the last 1/4th of the pitch. But is in that last part of the pitch you can create chances and score goals and it doesn't only win you games and get you points but it is also what the fans need to see to be able to enjoy their team.
As the much coveted Guardialo says, it's the managers job to get them to the final third, from there it's up to the players. They are in good positions all the time, they just don't have any ideas what to do with it.

SalfordRed1960

100% this

Rant:
/Rant
You do realize that the football side will win the double this year don't you:wenger:

The red panther

princess transfer emo
As the much coveted Guardialo says, it's the managers job to get them to the final third, from there it's up to the players. They are in good positions all the time, they just don't have any ideas what to do with it.
But Guardiola gives them the freedom to do whatever they want in the last part of the pitch.

Position,
Possession,
Play

Where the feck is our play ?

iKeano

What's the deal with set pieces, in particular, throw-ins!? It's like we're time wasting, it's bizarre!
Also, do players these days have no sense of urgency when the ball goes dead? At least look like you want to play football.... Run and get the ball for a throw in. When I think of urgency, I think of Keano grabbing the ball out of the Juve net thinking "game on!". If any of these lot scored a goal like that they'd be off flexing their muscles in front of the crowd. They have no concept of what it is to play for Utd. All pretty boy mercenaries that don't deserve to wear the jersey.

As for Van Gaal, he's the biggest conman of the lot.

SalfordRed1960

Yeah this is how I saw it as well. Perhaps he needs to do a better job communicating and motivating the players. Clearly some of his methods aren't working with these guys. Dunno if it's their mentality that he can't come to grasp with or what, but it's very important he sorts this out immediately. That's why I wanted Kliuvert in as our ass manager - think he needs someone on that staff that understands his 'philosophy' and is a good communicator. This would have helped some (though not with everything).
He has actually said this a few times in interviews. He has often said, I asked the players to move the ball quicker in the second half. They did, but it could certainly be better. Maybe, he should tell them before they go out in the first half, play with speed. At least the next two games are away so they other teams are likely to be slightly more attack minded.

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't know if anyone else had problems with their BT box tonight but ours stopped working about 20 minutes in and didn't come back on until the break and I clearly didn't miss much by the looks of things. This was probably one of the worst matches I've seen this season, it was so boring. van Gaal keeps saying we need to move the ball quicker but I think it's the way the players are being coached and the tactics that are the main issue here.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't know if anyone else had problems with their BT box tonight but ours stopped working about 20 minutes in and didn't come back on until the break and I clearly didn't miss much by the looks of things. This was probably one of the worst matches I've seen this season, it was so boring. van Gaal keeps saying we need to move the ball quicker but I think it's the way the players are being coached and the tactics that are the main issue here.
My Sky internet went off for an hour around 4. BT was alright though.

Dr Fink

I can categorically say this is THE worst and most boring performance I have ever witnessed at Old Trafford. Sheffield United didn't do anything extra special to thwart us. They offered zero attacking threat to be fair. It is the only time I have ever been unable to single out any Utd player who was better or slightly better than the rest and therefore justify a MOTM on here. Simply woeful, devoid of ideas and attacking creativity. Going to e match today was a chore. The Dutchman must go, it simply is not good enough. He's taken Moyes' ideas and trumped them with passionless, possession football. We are awful and after a slight upward blip with Chelsea and Swansea........FFS.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Just got back from the game. Finding out I've got enough reward points from Papa Johns for a free pizza is the best news I've had all day. The game was a waste of time, again.

DomesticTadpole

Just got back from the game. Finding out I've got enough reward points from Papa Johns for a free pizza is the best news I've had all day. The game was a waste of time, again.
Are the fans blaming the manager and wanting him gone as much as us?

DomesticTadpole

Not from where I was sat. I was in the singing section (for the first time ever) and everyone seems to be fully behind LVG.
We're they drunk.:) On the TV after there were a lot waving at him, not in a hello way and one fan was giving him the thumbs down and he saw it.

DomesticTadpole

Probably. Lots of LVG Red and White Army chants.
This loyalty is going to kill them you know. Fine cheering on the side, that is what you are there for and I think they are desperate for your support, but I cannot support LvG.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 407 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 2:0 Sheffield Utd
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Sheffield Utd