FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 1:0 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 January 2016

Esquire

Sorry I have no idea what this means.

However if you're implying I'm a Rooney lover you're wrong, good penalty aside he was an embarrassment today, yet again.

The rest of our play was largely better than what we saw in December (I realise that isn't saying much) against a team whose entire game plan was get a draw at all costs.

People get hysterical and scream "it's a league one team at home" but it's the FA cup for fecks sake. It's what happens and that's why it's so beloved as a competition.
Hate to disagree with you. We were ponderous, tedious and blunt all over again. Our first shot on goal came at the 75th minute!!! And before that we never looked threatening!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Terrible game. Definite penalty from braindead challenge, but just so slow, laboured, tepid.

At home to a League 1 side, and not a very good one at that, we should have mauled them. It should have been wave after wave of attacks. This was the game to get some confidence back.

65 minutes it took to finally hit the target. There's no excusing that.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Dire. Actually pleased I didn't go to the game. I would have been p'd right now to have paid game and train tickets for that.

Our attacking play is disastrous. So many runs go ignored that our forwards stop making them. So much time is wasted releasing the ball that we are constantly playing against two banks of four. We squandered several chances to counter first half. It was pathetic.

The manager is the problem, and we will win nothing with his philosophy. No combination of players leads to a change. The Van Gaal blueprint is a recipe for staleness. He needs to go.

Kant-ona

The live-game-thread should make a loud noise at the end of everyg game to wake us all up again.

Esquire

LVG has to start playing Periera in that cm role. He is the only cm in the squad capable of travelling with the ball and for this possession thing to work you can't have everyone passing.
Fellaini and Mata played. Herrera has a problem with consistency.
Agree re Wig and Mata. I'm a big Herrera fan but he has been disappointing lately.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Wow scholes is absolutely melting down here it's like weeks of boring play has built up and it's exploding for all to see

He's summing up what all us fans think perfectly though

stevoc

Rooney to the rescue again.

Dreadful game. This squad needs some quality badly.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Will Rooneys penalty serve for LVG as Mark Robbins goal did for SAF???? Time will tell.

We are playing shite, but we got through, just. No point complaining ... At least there will be a little bounce in the dressing room.

I can only remain hopeful and optimistic and the tide will soon turn. Would really enjoy a decent FA cup run this season

Ixion

Any time we start with Fellaini in the middle we're awful.

Riz

Scholes was dead on. He's coming across as exasperated and angered as we feel.

LARulz

Scholes is absolutely raging. But still talking some shit about passing it more to Rooeny

lilcurt

Scholes is going mental. Completely lost the media mask and just saying what he thinks.

Really hope this can be in the end for LVG.

Smores

Can tell Scholes is just a fan at heart. He's lost for polite words but I imagine he'd love to tell LvG to feck off

walkinhop

I wonder what will happen if we have Martial, Depay, Lingard and Perreira on the pitch and just tell them "Do whatever you want lads"

Moriarty

Scholes is going mental. Completely lost the media mask and just saying what he thinks.

Really hope this can be in the end for LVG.
I don't blame him. Hardly a chance created against a third division side at home. If it wasn't for a moment of madness by a defender, we'd be going there for a replay. This window can't be allowed to pass without us bringing in a striker and/or a winger because our full backs today couldn't put in a decent cross.

Dan

Hopefully someone will upload to youtube what Scholes is saying.

Dobba

What has come over Scholes today? Did Giggs and Rooney both turn him down for a New Years midnight kiss?

Oh nevermind that didn't last long, the Rooney posters must still be up in his bedroom.

Devil may care

Terrible stuff, we won yes, but the football was back to the Stoke/Norwich level performance. If scraping through with a 93rd minute penalty against a League 1 side is considered a positive, then ok, not for me.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I've been interested to see if the recent improvement in attacking play (relatively) would continue. Certainly didn't in this match, and was one of the most boring matches I can remember.

On the one hand, I feel a little sorry for LVG. Injuries haven't helped, and a couple of the people he has signed to take the role we desperately need haven't lived up to expectations. First Di Maria, then Memphis (albeit I think most of his think he will come good in time).

But it honestly feels like LVG doesn't know how to get a team to attack. He does all the training to get possession, then just relies on the attacking players to do it themselves rather than actually building attacking moves. There's no movement, there's no...anything. It's like the team simply has no idea what to do in the final third.

lilcurt

I don't blame him. Hardly a chance created against a third division side at home. If it wasn't for a moment of madness by a defender, we'd be going there for a replay. This window can't be allowed to pass without us bringing in a striker and/or a winger because our full backs today couldn't put in a decent cross.
Could give LVG another £250m, we'll still be awful under him. Yes, we could do with players. But the style of play is the real problem.

Get him out

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Scholes saying that everybody just looks bored.
Players.
The crowd.
Just bored.

Djemba-Djemba

One of the dullest games I've ever seen.

Just when you think we can't possibly get any more boring we go and do it.

fecking shocking performance. Embarrassing.

Positives were Smalling was great as always, Depay came on and looked lively and we won. Everything else was shit.

McK@n

40 year old Virgin
ZzzZzzZzzzz!

It took 65 minutes or so for LVG to see that our current 4-2-3-1-0 does not work. On came lingard and Memphis and we look alot better as a team with us stretching them a wee bit at least. The first 65 is on LVG, he doesn't have the tactical brain to see or to know how the game would pan out. As much as mata is a great footballer, hes not great at football. Hes to limited in the role assigned to him. Either ditch him to the bench or play him as a 10. LVG doesn't have the balls to know how to make us great. He will always find himself in obscurity, its a tough call for the board to make but one that's crying out for them to make! LVG OUT!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
As much as people slate Scholesy, his 10 minute rant was spot on!!!

prath92

I will take the win however it comes. We have won lots of undeserving games over the years especially in these cups. Onto the next game.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 407 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 2:0 Sheffield Utd
  • 20% Man Utd 3:0 Sheffield Utd